Arcade stick vs D-Pad vs Analog stick vs Touch screen

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
nosorrow

Re: Arcade stick vs D-Pad vs Analog stick vs Touch screen

Post by nosorrow »

Random question: Is Trigger Heart Exelica playable/enjoyable with the Dreamcast controller (I also have a way to play using a Saturn d-pad...).
thetricker24 wrote:saturn d-pad is nice.
even for maneuvering the Anchor?
crithit

Post by crithit »

For competetive gaming i personally use THIS:

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Stick for fighting games, pad for shooters. The 360 and DC d-pad have served me well.

The overall design of the Dc pad is meh, but the pad is legit for shooters.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

I'd be genuinely interested to know if anyone has managed to clear Mars Matrix with keyboard, btw. I almost always find keyboard a little unnatural feeling for shmups in general, and especially arcade ones, but I find Mars Matrix completely unplayable with keyboard. It's not actually that much harder for me with the DC pad (compared to the Saturn pad), either, and it felt a little more difficult with my hori gem pad than most things (though I think I've gotten a lot more used to that pad in general since then). I'm not sure why this would be. Probably just being accustomed to using the saturn pad. Seems the hardest part is circular movement (and you do use that a lot in MM). Perhaps that's harder for me with arrow keys.

I can't use analog stick for hardly anything though. In fact, I remember I was trying to play Rez HD recently with the analog stick (pretty sure it's designed with a-stick in mind), and realised a little later I had switched to dpad without noticing it. lol.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

LordHypnos wrote:I'd be genuinely interested to know if anyone has managed to clear Mars Matrix with keyboard, btw.
I only play with keyboard, maybe I'll have to try clearing Mars Matrix to sate your curiosity. :P
chempop wrote:Hitbox, shmup style:
what is this

i need this
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

^Please do! I would love having somebody else playing Mars Matrix! :mrgreen: You (probably) won't regret it!

Really, though, I'm sure it's possible, it just probably has a lot more than usual of the stuff that I'm not very good at doing on keyb. Still though, Most of the people who have cleared MM whose input devices I know were using pad (or maybe stick), and a lot of the extremely skilled keyboard warriors on this forum are strangely absent from the high score table there (Though this is most likely because it's not a straightforward shot/bomb type game)

Also, the arcade "stick" looks like some variation on this
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
MSd7342

Post by MSd7342 »

I never liked the Touch, but for this case can be Arcade Stick
(Like this beatiful layout, I edited and can now play Guilty Gear, Neo-Geo, and yes...SHMUPS and with many modes like the original Gradius Buttons or Darius)

I like many D-Pad specially the Saturn, Genesis, Dreamcast (yes...I are crazy), and a bit PlayStation

Analog stick is my favorite if I dot not have any form of Joystick or Arcade Stick

And Joystick is really the best.
mehguy

Post by mehguy »

ptoing

Post by ptoing »

I am generally a whatever works kinda guy. I got a HRAP-EX which I modded to have Sanwa buttons, and I love it.
Pad and keyboard are cool too for some games, but anything that needs buttonmashing (shmups without autofire and where the mashing is doable for me without getting painful), I can not do on a keyboard at all, since I am way slower with my left hand in terms of quick repeats.
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

Each controller can be good...
I use it all, and keyboard.

Currently.
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

nesrulz wrote:Each controller can be good...
I use it all, and keyboard.
And mouse.

Example: Android emulator + Strikers 1945 apk + mouse = great.
Last edited by nesrulz on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Are there any non-euroshmup, traditional STGs with true analog stick support besides Gradius V?