Psikyo > Cave

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

CHOOSE ze best

Super cool Psikyo!
26%
Ultra lame Cave!
74%

Total votes: 251

EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Until more people have played the cave games made in the last 2 years, I don't see the point of a thread like this. All of the psikyo games are easy to find and play, not true with the last 4 or 5 Cave releases. For example, people mention how Cave bullet patterns are slow and heavy, and that's true in many cases, but Mushi Futari has some of the fastest bullet patterns ever, as does Galuda 2 in zesshikai overmode.
Rob

Post by Rob »

JoshF wrote:
Then why Psikyo made money with those shooters in the 90s if they are mostly similar?
Marion, Miko, Junis and Yuan Nang and the inevitable Gamest manga anthologies containing them.
Pics of Strikers 1945 "pilots" here.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

The only Psikyo game I really got into was Dragon Blaze and I like the first Gunbird. They all feel a bit samey. Cave has a lot more diversity. They also have auto fire on their side, the lack of which is why I don't think I'll ever buy a Psikyo PCB.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
elvis

Post by elvis »

Personally speaking, I like shooters.
shinsage

Post by shinsage »

roker wrote:funniest thread ever
Hello roker.

About the poll, pretty sure someone hacked it. There can't be that many people with bad taste, can there? Hot dog!
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

TWE wrote:Until more people have played the cave games made in the last 2 years, I don't see the point of a thread like this. All of the psikyo games are easy to find and play, not true with the last 4 or 5 Cave releases. For example, people mention how Cave bullet patterns are slow and heavy, and that's true in many cases, but Mushi Futari has some of the fastest bullet patterns ever, as does Galuda 2 in zesshikai overmode.
yes... it point :?
jp

Post by jp »

I actually like Dangun Feveron and Pro Gear. DDP is alright too.

I can't think of anything I've played by Psikyo that doesn't make me want to turn off the console and quit playing games for the day.

Therefore, I guess, despite the fact that I don't like Cave, I like Cave more than Psikyo.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
JoshF

Post by JoshF »

Rob wrote:Pics of Strikers 1945 "pilots" here.
Cindy Volton
Alice Herring
Lean Beirer
Ai Mikami
Nice body! Sexy guy!
MegaShock! | @ YouTube | Latest Update: Metal Slug No Up Lever No Miss
Edge

Post by Edge »

I really tried to get into Psikyo games, but I personally don't seem to enjoy them. And I find that all Psikyo shmups somehow feel pretty much the same, maybe for the exception of Space Bomber. Which I don't like either. :P I don't like the visuals or music of Psikyo games as well, so they just don't stick with me. On the other hand there are a lot of Cave games which I quickly got immersed to, so for me it is an obvious choice. But offcourse tastes are different.

IMO:
Cave > Raizing >>>>>> Psikyo
Gungriffon Geona

Post by Gungriffon Geona »

Fighter17 wrote:Raizing was perfect on Battle Garegga, but Armed Police Batrider changed too many things and it went downhill after that.
hold that thought.

so, the fact that the game wasn't a total rehash like alot of companies tend to do and really changed how the game was played is a bad thing? funny, I thought it was good business and kept things really unique. As if Raizing had ANY trouble keeping things unique in regards to art direction and gameplay design in the first place, they went the extra mile and rebuilt things from the ground up a good number of times.
I liked Raizing for their insane and rather wacky style. I especially love their boss designs for being some of the most ingenious and crazy things you could ever think of. tie into it the music and art, as well as the insane rank systems, and you get something that's pretty unique. I only started noticing Cave when the games started to feel more like that, and we all know why that happened too.
FLYING CARS WITH CRAB CLAWS
shinsage

Post by shinsage »

JoshF wrote:
Rob wrote:Pics of Strikers 1945 "pilots" here.
Cindy Volton
Alice Herring
Lean Beirer
Ai Mikami
Nice body! Sexy guy!
Pssss, vgmuseum links go straight to the main site if you url name them.

I feel ashamed for clicking the last link first.
JoshF

Post by JoshF »

Copy the url :evil:
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

I play and enjoy Psikyo games, but most of them are quite poor. Cave games are amazingly well crafted - not just the obvious stuff like gameplay and stage design, but also the music, the sound effects (crucial to a good feel in a shmup) and even the titles of the games have obviously had a lot of time and thought applied to them.... On the other hand most Psikyo games (especially the earlier ones) seem to have been built by drawing a few new sprites, "composing" a couple of new tunes and then whacking them into the generic Psikyo game engine to earn some easy cash. I wonder what the average development time for Psikyo games was?
Neon

Post by Neon »

Tough choice. I like Donpachi a lot and Dangun so I went with Cave
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

mulletgeezer wrote:I play and enjoy Psikyo games, but most of them are quite poor. Cave games are amazingly well crafted - not just the obvious stuff like gameplay and stage design, but also the music, the sound effects (crucial to a good feel in a shmup) and even the titles of the games have obviously had a lot of time and thought applied to them.... On the other hand most Psikyo games (especially the earlier ones) seem to have been built by drawing a few new sprites, "composing" a couple of new tunes and then whacking them into the generic Psikyo game engine to earn some easy cash.
I totally agree with this. Spot on.
LUNardei

Post by LUNardei »

I voted "Lame Thread" and "Ultra Cave" :fanboy: :lol:
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Rob wrote:Cave shooters: just slow enough to where people think they've got crazy twitch dodging skills. Seriously, I think you're playing the wrong shooters. How many ways can you improvise your way through the exact same pattern?
haha, so now you're saying Cave games take no skill ? ;D
And you do improvise all the time in Cave games because patterns are never exactly the same (there's enough randomization so you need to re-read, and improvise everytime you dodge something).
GaijinPunch wrote:This is the gem of Cave games. Play for survivial, and the games (save Ketsui & DOJ) are only moderately difficult. Try to get a high score, and suddenly you need to stock up on controllers.
Definitely ! I think a scoring system is good when it rates a player's skill. With Cave games, when you play them for the first time, completing the game is a fair challenge. But if you also want a good score, you need to be a lot better, because chaining for example actually forces you to let enemies live and shoot more bullets, and because of the rank systems. This makes the game playable for newbies, and really deep for better players.
TWE wrote:I totally agree with this. Spot on.
Me three.
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

PROMETHEUS wrote: Me three.
and fourth.
Then i play most of Psikyo shumps, i have strong feels on deja vu.
on, Clones Attack.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

I don't care who is better ;) I love raizing, cave, psikyo, toaplan, just all of them
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
JoshF

Post by JoshF »

haha, so now you're saying Cave games take no skill ? ;D
Yeah, so what? You haven't seen his DOJ replays! :x
Circa2113

Post by Circa2113 »

Kaiser wrote:I don't care who is better ;) I love raizing, cave, psikyo, toaplan, just all of them
Indeed! Treasure isn't half bad either. 8)
jpj

Post by jpj »

who's psikyo?

EDIT: who is cave?
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Anybody think that the difference in feel between Cave and Psikyo shooters is quite similar to the difference in feel between Capcom and SNK fighters, respectively? There's this polish in the former games that the later just don't seem to have, although it's hard to pinpoint any one contributing factor.
shinsage

Post by shinsage »

Circa2113 wrote:
Kaiser wrote:I don't care who is better ;) I love raizing, cave, psikyo, toaplan, just all of them
Indeed! Treasure isn't half bad either. 8)
Well, they did make RSG, so I'd say they are.
That or half-good.
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

Ganelon wrote:Anybody think that the difference in feel between Cave and Psikyo shooters is quite similar to the difference in feel between Capcom and SNK fighters, respectively? There's this polish in the former games that the later just don't seem to have, although it's hard to pinpoint any one contributing factor.
I think this too, but then again several members of Psikyo staff supposedly moved to SNK after they developed Fallen Angels and became part of the KOF development team, that may have something to do with it. I don't know if the chaps in question developed shmups for Psikyo or just the fighting games, but I think both companies' games have a similar amateurish vibe and a questionable visual style.
nietzschedancing

Post by nietzschedancing »

Cave.

Not that Psikyo shooters are by any means poor, but they occupt a longer rung on the ladder of greatness.
Rob

Post by Rob »

PROMETHEUS wrote: haha, so now you're saying Cave games take no skill ? ;D
And you do improvise all the time in Cave games because patterns are never exactly the same (there's enough randomization so you need to re-read, and improvise everytime you dodge something).
I'm saying I think you're confused. There's very little randomness.
Yeah, so what? You haven't seen his DOJ replays!
Huh?
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

I like Taito!

They make all these cool new shoot them up games for PlayStation 2! Great games like Mushihimesama, Ibara, Dragon Blaze & Sol Divide, Sengoku Blade/Ace!

Edit:
Taito is the awesome! They even made XII Stag, Homura, and Raiden III!
Circa2113

Post by Circa2113 »

Sonic R wrote:I like Taito!

They make all these cool new shoot them up games for PlayStation 2! Great games like Mushihimesama, Ibara, Dragon Blaze & Sol Divide, Sengoku Blade/Ace!

Edit:
Sweet Jesus--tell me you're joking. :?
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

Sonic R wrote:I like Taito!

Edit:
:lol: :lol: :lol: oh man, your right :lol: