Salamander, Parodius, Twinbee Collections on PSP

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
JBC

Post by JBC »

ZeetherKID77 wrote:Will we get these collections in the US?
It's a good bet that we'll get Salamander and possibly Parodius. Twin Bee i wouldn't count on too much. Luckily PSP's are region free, so i don't think i'm waiting for the U.S. release regardless. It's only a few extra bones to order online these days so... i'm on it.
Godzilla was an inside job
RotateMe

Post by RotateMe »

What the hell was this bullshit about Gradius Galaxies being screwed up!? I nearly didn't buy it, now I got it and am happy as hell with it. All the features that were mentioned to be screwed up were issues for me but after seeing how little they actually are screwed up it makes me shudder that I was close to missing this.
JBC

Post by JBC »

RotateMe wrote:What the hell was this bullshit about Gradius Galaxies being screwed up!? I nearly didn't buy it, now I got it and am happy as hell with it. All the features that were mentioned to be screwed up were issues for me but after seeing how little they actually are screwed up it makes me shudder that I was close to missing this.
I was irritated by all that jive-talk about the Gradius Collection as well. Every nitpick that could be considered imperfection in those ports is highly menial. If you're not happy with Gradius Collection, you're just not a happy gamer. And yes, Galaxies is one of the best GBA titles ever ^.^
RotateMe

Post by RotateMe »

circuitface wrote: If you're not happy with Gradius Collection, you're just not a happy gamer. And yes, Galaxies is one of the best GBA titles ever ^.^
That's true but I hope it's obious I meant gradius collection.
JBC

Post by JBC »

RotateMe wrote:
circuitface wrote: If you're not happy with Gradius Collection, you're just not a happy gamer. And yes, Galaxies is one of the best GBA titles ever ^.^
That's true but I hope it's obious I meant gradius collection.
Heh... i thought so but i was just making sure :wink:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

From Insert Credit:

Here is a link to a few preview screenshots and such of the 3 upcoming collections. One thing that I wasn't aware of (it was probably mentioned here, but I missed it) is that the version of Twinbee Da! included on the Twinbee pack is actually a remake. No idea what, if anything, will be changed besides the graphics...maybe someone who can read Japanese would know.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

BulletMagnet wrote:From Insert Credit:

Here is a link to a few preview screenshots and such of the 3 upcoming collections. One thing that I wasn't aware of (it was probably mentioned here, but I missed it) is that the version of Twinbee Da! included on the Twinbee pack is actually a remake. No idea what, if anything, will be changed besides the graphics...maybe someone who can read Japanese would know.
The one TATE screenshot for Twinbee collection has me a bit worried as it's not full screen. :?

And as I said in a reply last month regarding the Twinbee pack, it'd be really nice if Konami included configuring bomb/special to the analog nub (like the vert shmups in Capcom Classics PSP) But I know that they won't. :(
bcass

Post by bcass »

circuitface wrote:
RotateMe wrote:What the hell was this bullshit about Gradius Galaxies being screwed up!? I nearly didn't buy it, now I got it and am happy as hell with it. All the features that were mentioned to be screwed up were issues for me but after seeing how little they actually are screwed up it makes me shudder that I was close to missing this.
I was irritated by all that jive-talk about the Gradius Collection as well. Every nitpick that could be considered imperfection in those ports is highly menial. If you're not happy with Gradius Collection, you're just not a happy gamer. And yes, Galaxies is one of the best GBA titles ever ^.^
Sorry, but the fact that the d-pad is near-useless is hardly a 'menial' issue. In fact, I'd call it pretty fundamental in a shmup.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

bcass wrote:
circuitface wrote:
Sorry, but the fact that the d-pad is near-useless is hardly a 'menial' issue. In fact, I'd call it pretty fundamental in a shmup.
Four layers of tape cut into four small squares solves this problem, and handily.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Damocles wrote:Four layers of tape cut into four small squares solves this problem, and handily.
Does it though? Even with the official Capcom topper, the diagonals are still far from perfect. Besides, no matter how careful/anal you are, the risk of getting dust stuck under your screen if you mod the d-pad yourself, is high.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

bcass wrote:Does it though? Even with the official Capcom topper, the diagonals are still far from perfect. Besides, no matter how careful/anal you are, the risk of getting dust stuck under your screen if you mod the d-pad yourself, is high.
It does. I did the mod AND got the official Capcom d-pad. World of difference. I did get a speck of dust under the screen (because I suck and can't use a a can of compressed air properly) but it's only visible when there's nothing on screen. So no real harm there.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Protip: Don't fully take off the faceplate. Instead, crack it open only enough to pull the rubber backing off the D-Pad and remove it from there. Do the mod, then replace everything. This limits the amount of exposure your screen gets.

Protip #2: When you take the faceplate off, grab the faceplate with your right hand while holding the base with your left. Set the faceplate down flat and pull the rubber off, then remove the D-Pad. Set the base back down on the faceplate. This also limits the dust.

As for the tape method, yes. It's a damn fine improvement, especially paired with the stick-on cover. Get the one from Play-Asia. That thing will NEVER come off. I had to remove one once. Trust me. I screwed around with the standard mod that involves the NES cartridge slip and hot glue. I was simply never able to get the shim to lay flat. The tape method, however, is quick, painless, can be easily removed, and very clean. It's what I did on my clear-buttoned PSP.
bcass

Post by bcass »

My problem is that it took me a long time to find a PSP with no dead/stuck/lit pixels. If I mess-up this one, God knows how long it will take to find another perfect screen.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

So anyone here get to play any of the new compilations yet? Emulation, options, overall presentation, ect. And am (still) wondering if TATE controls for Twinbee can be mapped to analog? *ahem* Sorry, just gotta know.

I am especially looking forward to the Salamander collection as I have been keeping myself from playing Xexex until I was A) either able to buy the PCB for my rig someday or B) when it would get a home port which seemed like a near impossibility a few years ago.
Last edited by Dylan1CC on Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Oh yeah, I forgot these were out. I can't check my e-mail until the weekend, so I've been missing all my play-asia / yesasia shipment invoices and whatnot. I think I might have 5 orders or something shipping out this week... I can't even remember what they are... too...many...orders..!

I'm not expecting the PSP compilations to get delivered for a few weeks anyway, and it doesn't matter since I didn't bring my PSP with me to my dorm..
xghostsniperx

Post by xghostsniperx »

Damn, when I can get an old 1.5 PSP for $100 I'll be on this. I never realized that total, there are like 20 games total from all four packs!
Soldato J

Post by Soldato J »

Can anyone confirm what FW is needed to run yet? Pardon my blindness if I missed it......

One more thing---TATE'able Twinbee? If not I will cry
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Soldato J wrote:Can anyone confirm what FW is needed to run yet? Pardon my blindness if I missed it......

One more thing---TATE'able Twinbee? If not I will cry
Smeone on TNL who got the Salamander pack said it requires 2.82.

I was able to downgrade my 2.80 system a few weeks ago and install the new custom 3.03 OE-B though, so I am all set. 8)

Now I just need a little extra cash. :(

And agreed that the Salamander pack's cover art is really dull. I know they have been using the space snake for the covers for a long time, but...meh. It should at least have a twitching eye like BM's ya know? :P
Soldato J

Post by Soldato J »

Cool, I am at 2.82 currently (think it was Loco Roco that did it)

I'm getting all of these as soon as a play-asia coupon comes up or I stumble across one
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

Dylan1CC wrote:And agreed that the Salamander pack's cover art is really dull. I know they have been using the space snake for the covers for a long time, but...meh. It should at least have a twitching eye like BM's ya know? :P
Yeah, that cover suck ass.

I wonder how's the emulation.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I should be OK, I'm on the official Sony 3.03 firmware. Maybe I'm the only guy on this forum who still uses official firmware, but I think network update is pretty cool and I check for new ones every 2 or 3 weeks. Makes me feel very modern to be able to update my system wirelessly :)

I like the Salamander space snake cover.... Salamander without the space snake is like... Falchion without the whatever Bacterion thingie...
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

I don't mind the space snake. If I was in charge of the cover art though, I'd maybe put the snake and the ship together with some sort of glossy litho/holo effect. Tilt the pack one way, you see snakey. Tilt it the other and you see a transparent outline of the vic viper.

Or using the same concept, ditch the snake and have the Vic Viper on the cover but tilt the pack and you could see the brain/eye boss staring back at you with red swirly bio-font around it.
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

iatneH wrote:I should be OK, I'm on the official Sony 3.03 firmware. Maybe I'm the only guy on this forum who still uses official firmware, but I think network update is pretty cool and I check for new ones every 2 or 3 weeks. Makes me feel very modern to be able to update my system wirelessly :)

I like the Salamander space snake cover.... Salamander without the space snake is like... Falchion without the whatever Bacterion thingie...
congrats to you...
i personally dont like to have my console capped by sony... since, i play mostly emus on the PSP than the official releases... most of them are boring, and the ones that interest me, i have to get them on imports, which happens to be xpensive... so, unless the scene dies, im not jumpin over official releases... id rather sell the PSP and forget about it than doin so.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

^^^

Yeah, after successfully downgrading and loading 3.03 OE-B, I am never updating to official Sony firmware again. Having everything from NES and Genny games to CPS2 blockbusters like Progear on the go really maximizes the value of the system.
Last edited by Dylan1CC on Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I'd personally rather put up with a few dead pixels then discoloration caused by Tate. The PSP's screen is fantastic for Tate, IMO.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Someone with the Salamander Pack able to comment and compare the port of XEXEX with the original? That's all I'm really interested in with this particular compilation.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Vokatse wrote:Crap I'm so jealous! I'm going to try to borrow my friend's PSP this weekend
because he barely plays it. By the way, what size memory sticks do you people have? I think my friend has a small 512...
I have a 2 gig myself. But 512 MB stick has plenty of space for a good chunk of CPS2 games not to mention dozens of NES, SMS, SNES and Genny titles. If he has firmware between 1.5-2.80 (2.81 and up currently can NOT be downgraded) it really would be worth making him an offer to buy it.
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

Dylan1CC wrote:
Vokatse wrote:Crap I'm so jealous! I'm going to try to borrow my friend's PSP this weekend
because he barely plays it. By the way, what size memory sticks do you people have? I think my friend has a small 512...
I have a 2 gig myself. But 512 MB stick has plenty of space for a good chunk of CPS2 games not to mention dozens of NES, SMS, SNES and Genny titles. If he has firmware between 1.5-2.80 (2.81 and up currently can NOT be downgraded) it really would be worth making him an offer to buy it.
i at 1st had a 1GB MS, but 2 months ago adquired a 2GB one... and right now (wanted a 4GB one, but had to buy an EZ5 Cart for the NDS.. so, not enough money), i have it stuffed with 1GB of roms (mostly NeoGeo), a couple PSX games, and some PSP ISOs ...

already tried 2 out of 3 of this compilations... but not enough to come up with a comentar of how good/bad they are... TwinBee its not workin for me, so i cannot comment of this one either.... but from what i saw, im definitively buyin Parodius collection....
shinsage

Post by shinsage »

I love the updated space snake for the Salamander box art. It doesn't have anime drawings like the other two and it could be something you'd find at a tattoo parlor, so what --

RIDE THE SNAKE!!
infested_ysy

Post by infested_ysy »

Just tried out twinbee collections. Seems kinda crappy. The mame-able ones has blurry sprites, no scanlines (how hard is it for them to put some decent 50% scanlines on 2D games that has its video enlarged? I find it impossible to cope with the hideous blurry enlarged sprites without some 50% scanlines on emulation thesedays).

Probably the only title worthwhile in the collection is this:

It plays very smoothly, and the sprites are all very sharp and vivid. Is it supposed to be a new remake made just for the PSP?