I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:
BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:do you have a replay? nOt enough clearz of this 1, so i'd dig watchin' it you got it up anywhere
Yeah, if I can cobble together a decent enough run I'll upload it somewhere. I seen yours. There's a bunch of secrets that I don't see in any of the other replays, hidden pickups that help you recover from some of the more awkward spots - So I think my run would be genuinely worth sharing with anyone interested in the game. You can also move your options around Thunder Cross style, I might incorporate that too.
rad! lookin' fOrward to watchin' your run if you put it up somewhere 'cause i really like seeing other people's clears of games tHat i cleared b/c of wHat differs 'n stuff in terms of methods + if there were any gameplay elementz tHat i wasn't even aware of, and it sounds like there was some sHit i wasn't aware of too b/c i had nO idea you could screw around w/ the options/bits in a thunder cross kinda way. =oc
alsO, pretty cool to know you saw my clear. =D
i knew where a cOuple of secretz are (like the super extendo in the stage 2 boss's eye -- i guess tHat 1 is pretty obvious though), but i didn't bother getting it in a run since i was just sHittin' a nO-miss. i bet there's several secrets though tHat i probably have nO idea about, so if you found all of 'em, i'm autistically curious :3
Herr Schatten wrote:Yes, bring on that Z-Out love! It’s a brilliant game that is woefully underappreciated.
hEl yea \m/
z-out is 1 of the best r-type clones. i think rezon is tOo, but nobody ever really fukken talkz (positively) abOut either of 'em as far as i knOw =x
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

^Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xThN2LEW4VA
Spoiler
Notes
WinUAE will eliminate PAL black borders and stretch the image to 16:9 - I prefer playing most horis like this. Emulated disk grinding sfx purely for your listening pleasure.

Not a perfect run by any means but I think the recovery on stage 5 is worth seeing. The boss is a lot easier with both satellites to protect you. The water level lowers after exactly 6 hits with the charge beam, so time that 6th shot just as he's moving away from you to give yourself that extra room to dodge. He will leap out of the water if you're too close to him.

Secrets
1:48 - laser/wave only appears if you are at the back of the screen here.
5:03 - I think this one is another laser/wave, but if you grab it while the balls are equipped you will get both satellites. Nice way to get fully armed early on.
14:19 - Another satellite drops here but if you die and restart at this checkpoint a secret satellite is hidden right above those two stalagmites by the large column. Handy for recovery with those enemies coming from above right there.
17:40 - I take the top route here, but if you go the bottom way a hidden satellite is behind the two balls, above the moving column.
21:13 - The last hidden satellite that I know of. This stage has no checkpoints so if you recover here, the satellite is essential for avoiding all that falling shit.

I played this last year and swear there was a secret on stage 3 but I can't remember where.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
bcass

Post by bcass »

Looks like one of the better Euroshmups. No shop, no inertia, not restricted to a peashooter weapon, no long stretches with nothing happening. Graphics probably look nice on a CRT too. I've seen far worse JPN STGs.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Woohoo! Cleared the first loop on Hishouzame via Toaplan Arcade Garage. Did Flying Shark years ago on MAME and exceptionally non-default DIP switch settings but even that on defaults has eluded my ageing carcass. Did not think this run was going to amount to anything - stupid death before landfall on stage 2, horrid stage 4 (one death to the 2nd boss tank, then croaked it to a sniper tank ahead of the gun turrets near the end), then died before the parked battleships on stage 5. Somehow recovered from that and charged on through to the clear - no bombs left after the final boss, really didn't think I'd make it past the final plane/tank onslaught. Didn't make it through stage 2 of the loop but scored inside the top 100 on the leaderboards so I think that's as good as it'll get :lol:
DGR114

Post by DGR114 »

Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu 1.5
Novice mode
Type B Strong Style
Score: 4,806,781,331
This run took multiple attempts and was quite fun because the game wasn’t brain dead easy like Mushi Futari novice was.
Dodonpachi Daioujou DX
Normal Difficulty
Type B Shotia
Score: 25,747,880
Got this run 1st try. Pretty fun game for a mid 00s phone port. Would recommend it while it’s on sale

(BTW can anyone point me towards some good guides for DOJ White Label? I can no miss/no bomb/no hyper 1-1 and 1-2 but can barely clear 1-3. 2 weeks of practice and I haven’t improved a bit. I’d really like to 1cc it someday lol.)

Edit: I was tired when I made this post and forgot to add my score for Daioujou DX. :shock:
Steven

Post by Steven »

I bought some Sanwa buttons for my Hori arcade controller today and I decided to torture test them by playing Kyuukyoku Tiger without autofire, as I figured smashing the button several thousand times over the course of an hour would give me a good idea about how I feel about the buttons. This also means I was finally able to record a no-auto Kyuukyoku Tiger clear for the first time, as they were all on PCB before and I can't record PCB footage yet.

https://youtu.be/6XBWy7vVjhw
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Nice, I actually need to replace a Sanwa in my stick due to my penchant for manual fire and it was Kyukyoku Tiger which did it in :D I'm glad the key to a couple of bosses seems to be liberal bomb use! But didn't think to just time out a couple of them. Going to tackle this one a bit more seriously now I've done Hishouzame.

Skipped to the bosses for the most part to see how best to handle them but did see a few deaths, seems stacking up lives in the first (easier!) half is key? Heartening to see recovery is very much possible!
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:13 am ^Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xThN2LEW4VA
Spoiler
Notes
WinUAE will eliminate PAL black borders and stretch the image to 16:9 - I prefer playing most horis like this. Emulated disk grinding sfx purely for your listening pleasure.

Not a perfect run by any means but I think the recovery on stage 5 is worth seeing. The boss is a lot easier with both satellites to protect you. The water level lowers after exactly 6 hits with the charge beam, so time that 6th shot just as he's moving away from you to give yourself that extra room to dodge. He will leap out of the water if you're too close to him.

Secrets
1:48 - laser/wave only appears if you are at the back of the screen here.
5:03 - I think this one is another laser/wave, but if you grab it while the balls are equipped you will get both satellites. Nice way to get fully armed early on.
14:19 - Another satellite drops here but if you die and restart at this checkpoint a secret satellite is hidden right above those two stalagmites by the large column. Handy for recovery with those enemies coming from above right there.
17:40 - I take the top route here, but if you go the bottom way a hidden satellite is behind the two balls, above the moving column.
21:13 - The last hidden satellite that I know of. This stage has no checkpoints so if you recover here, the satellite is essential for avoiding all that falling shit.

I played this last year and swear there was a secret on stage 3 but I can't remember where.
tHat was pretty sick, dude. i watched it a couple dayz ago and subb'd, but i just now gettin' around to pOstin' about it ^^;
but anyway, sOlid playing regardless of the 1-miss on stage 5. your skill is strong enough to certainly get a nO-miss if you wanted to + your strat for handling the heart sub-boss on stage 5 is a lot less awkwArd than mine is too since you fought him the intended way lol
i also liked the way tHat you handed the stage 5 boss. (tHankz for tHat info in your post about it too.) i didn't know tHat you could fly over him to the right regardless if the water level was low enOugh. i thought he wOuld jump up into you no matter wHat you did, so it was interesting to learn somethin' new about tHat fukker.
did yOu use autofire? =o (just curious lol)
whether autofire or nOt, your run is definitely super useful for all them sassy secretz + i learned some neat curiosities regarding a couple bosses owo

so yeah, good euro-alien blAstin', d00d =D

btw, tHankz for mentioning tHat about WinUAE. imma switch over to tHat when i clear apidya + the amiga version of katakis >:3
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:28 pmdid yOu use autofire? =o (just curious lol)
Autofire is built into the game, just press "A". I do find it more convenient to have a button mapped to rapid shot though - you definitely don't want to be firing/charging all the time and it's less awkward than reaching for the keyboard. If its masochism/cred you're curious about I have been using a Logitech F310 for all my recent clears.

Did you use autofire in your run? I'm wondering what impact mashing would have. You could easily match the slow fire rate of the laser/wave, I wonder how the bossfight timings would change - particularly the 3rd and final. You'll notice I switch to the yellow/crawler weapon on stage 5, it actually has higher dps than the laser at max auto.
So, yeah - plently still to gun for with this game. A no miss and mashing run - also interesting would be soloing co-op mode. That mode has an actual, functioning 3 way shot replacing a bunch of the other weapons.

Thanks for watching! Guess I have a YouTube channel now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by Sly Cherry Chunks on Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Steven

Post by Steven »

TransatlanticFoe wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:20 pm Nice, I actually need to replace a Sanwa in my stick due to my penchant for manual fire and it was Kyukyoku Tiger which did it in :D I'm glad the key to a couple of bosses seems to be liberal bomb use! But didn't think to just time out a couple of them. Going to tackle this one a bit more seriously now I've done Hishouzame.

Skipped to the bosses for the most part to see how best to handle them but did see a few deaths, seems stacking up lives in the first (easier!) half is key? Heartening to see recovery is very much possible!
Yeah, bomb the shit out of the bosses and the Otakebi on stage 5 if you don't have autofire, and go for time out on the stage 7 boss. I only bomb the stage 4 boss because I find the green laser obscures the enemy shots, so if you are recovering there and only have the Red Gun, you might be okay without bombs.

If you don't have auto, there is a decent chance you will only be able to destroy one of the stage 9 bosses before the other times out, so at that point it's better to destroy one and just avoid the surviving boss entirely. Stage 9 bosses can't shoot you if they are off screen, so do the scroll out and they can't do that much to you.

I have a roughly 30% complete ST for this game under construction now, and as part of that I recorded no-auto recovery for pretty much every boss in the game aside from stage 10. I stopped working on it because nobody plays this game, but if people want me to finish it, maybe I will. Another part of it is because although I do know how to recover against the stage 10 boss, I have not actually been able to do it yet because it's really difficult. It also times out on PS4/Switch, unlike on PCB, which also changes it slightly. The timer is long, so it's probably faster to destroy it than to go for time out anyway.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Surprisingly fast Mushi Original 1cc after practicing stage 5 a few times. The Switch says, I havent played 15 hours so it took around the same time as Hishouzame but I surely brought some useful skills to Mushi from Hishou and Raiden IV.

https://youtu.be/ept1Gq4LwoY
Steven

Post by Steven »

Finally got a 1-ALL on arcade Zero Wing, and it was a no miss. It feels unearned and unsatisfying because I used the warp, so I'll revisit it eventually to clear it without the warp.

I just realized that I have just under half of all Toaplan STG 1-ALLs, and I am counting things like Same! 1P/2P/Fire Shark, Batsugun/Special, and Kyuukyoku Tiger/Twin Cobra separately, which brings me to a total of 10 clears out of 25 total STGs and variants. Zero Wing 2P and Hellfire 1P are up next.
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:05 am
BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:28 pmdid yOu use autofire? =o (just curious lol)
Autofire is built into the game, just press "A". I do find it more convenient to have a button mapped to rapid shot though - you definitely don't want to be firing/charging all the time and it's less awkward than reaching for the keyboard. If its masochism/cred you're curious about I have been using a Logitech F310 for all my recent clears.
oH wait, fukk, it'z built into the game?? dAmn, i had no idea. i woulda prObably used it ._.
but uH, yeee, i was curious b/c i wanted to be able tO know how to make sure to prOvide proper praise for yOur run ^-^
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:05 am Did you use autofire in your run? I'm wondering what impact mashing would have. You could easily match the slow fire rate of the laser/wave, I wonder how the bossfight timings would change - particularly the 3rd and final. You'll notice I switch to the yellow/crawler weapon on stage 5, it actually has higher dps than the laser at max auto.
So, yeah - plently still to gun for with this game. A no miss and mashing run - also interesting would be soloing co-op mode. That mode has an actual, functioning 3 way shot replacing a bunch of the other weapons.

Thanks for watching! Guess I have a YouTube channel now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
i wOnder if there's any significant differences too =oc
my guess is tHat there's prObably not much in the way of differences, like the console entries in the r-type series where the games were designed w/ both in mind, but for all i knOw, my guess could be entirely off-base considering the example you gave of possible differences concerning the weapon swap you mentioned in stage 5.
but anyway, tHankz for postin' your run! i really dug watchin' it x3
and good luck on the other challenges in z-out tHat you got set for yourself, d00d \m/
DGR114

Post by DGR114 »

Mushihimesama Novice
Mode: Original
Shot: Straight shot
Score: 6,553,475
I got this one after only a couple tries. I had been mainly playing on maniac so this felt a lot easier. I got the stage 3 extend which came in handy because I had a couple of pointless deaths in late stage 4. I also lost a life at the final boss because I wasn’t used to their patterns, so I got the run on my last life which means no score bonus. :(
(I feel like novice original is harder than novice maniac. Maybe it’s because my gameplay is relaxed and I dodge slower due to the lack of bullets.)
Aceskies

Post by Aceskies »

Yesterday I purchased Mushi on Switch. Never played it before. On my 2nd attemp I got the 1CC on Novice mode. Very easy yet very rewarding. I will try normal Mode now.
miwa

Post by miwa »

First 1cc in Dodonpachi Saidaioujou on xbox 360!
Very clutch.
The game showers you with bombs but you gotta hit that bomb button early with all that sweet, sweet input lag.
Still love the game :D

https://youtu.be/VGISDhDzJ3Y?si=4Di24_ers_yrZOY2
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I got a blind 1CC on Touhou 19. This one is a vs. shmup.

This was a super weird run though. I had a draw game on what I think is the final boss, so the game reset us both back to full health. I bested the boss on my second attempt and then the game looped and I played through it again. So I guess this is technically a 2-ALL? A Touhou 2-ALL, is there such a thing?

I tested it out afterward, and running out of lives without a draw results in a game over.

Edit:

Okay, just did another run through, and without the draw its just a normal six stage 1CC. That's some weird coding there.
To Far Away Times

Got a quick and dirty 1CC on Gana Blade.

Neat little game, reminiscent of 8-bit / 16-bit Compile games.

The developers must be genre fans. There's tons of references to classic shmups. I saw homages to Battle Garegga's fan pattern, DoDonPachi's cliff side of tanks, one of Giga Wing's Stage 6 patterns with the diamond shaped clusters, Gradius' small dragons that chase you around, Thunderforce III's icicles, and more.
To Far Away Times

Got a 1CC today on Twinkle Tale.

This game is relatively unknown Japanese exclusive walk 'em up on the Sega Genesis, released in 1992 by Wonder Amusement Studio. This was the only game they made before disbanding. The game is pretty decent though, and you'd hope a studio who makes a solid title like this could stay afloat.

The game is reminiscent of Technosoft's superb Elemental Master. Much like Elemental Master, it's a push scroll game, but has shmup fundamentals everywhere else. This game is pretty player friendly. You only have one life, but you have a health system, and pick ups are plentiful. But on the flip side, weapons downgrade on hit and you can take multiple hits very quickly.

The game ramps up in difficulty at the end, but its nothing a little repetition and memorization can't get past. Knowing which weapons to use at each spot goes a long way. Generally speaking the homing attack is good for popcorn enemies in the stages but does so little damage that its terrible everywhere else. I spent a surprising amount of time on this one, having given it an earnest go on three separate occasions, sitting down and learning all the little intricacies, and the prior two times I burned myself out on it. It's a fairly long game, clocking in at around 45 minutes for a full run through, and the first few levels get really easy after a while, so it was fairly hard to stay motivated to clear it. Difficulty is decent for a console exclusive. Not a cakewalk, but also not among the harder games like Thunderforce IV, Sapphire, R-Type III, etc.
cfx

Post by cfx »

I owned Twinkle Tale briefly bback in the day. I found it very easy and a real slog to play through, at least up to some point that I'm sure was pretty far into the game.
On a single credit I had gotten up to a big spider boss, where I had to stop playing. (Sounds incredibly lame, but arachnophobia sucks.) So I bought the game one day and sold it the next.

I'm not that good at most games so that portion of the game is either very easy or it just clicked with me somehow. Most shooters I have little hope of ever clearing, much less 1cc'ing, and even if this one ramps up significantly past where I was, I seldom get that far on a credit, certainly not on the first time playing.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

I think this counts as a shmup, but just got the 1cc of Gundhara. Aside for some jank here and there it is a pretty fun game. Additionally proud since it is the first game I have cleared using only an arcade stick. I think I am going to put a little more effort into overhead run and gun type games to mix things up a bit.
The_Fix

Post by The_Fix »

I got my first 2-ALL today.
Spoiler
I know it's just Assault Shell, but it feels different from a 1cc and I like it. :twisted:
I know what I have to do now. I need to go back to games I've already cleared and do better.

I don't know where I'll start, and today I don't care, time for a beer.
Any sufficiently advanced game-play is indistinguishable from cheating. - Arthur C. Clarke Resume :wink:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Haha, congrats! You sure went quick from asking about TLBs to nabbing a 2-All clear. ;3
The_Fix

Post by The_Fix »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:08 pm Haha, congrats! You sure went quick from asking about TLBs to nabbing a 2-All clear. ;3
:oops: If I had known you didn't fight them twice...... I'd have so many more....... Dammit, Now I have to do them all over again.
My greatest feat this month paired with something so stupid. Like, I could've just watched any 2-ALL of any game on Youtube; but I just don't do that.

I'm still at the point where I want to play every game ever. And I can't get 2-ALLs and play every game at the same time.

Oh well, I'll live.
Any sufficiently advanced game-play is indistinguishable from cheating. - Arthur C. Clarke Resume :wink:
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The_Fix wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:18 pmMy greatest feat this month paired with something so stupid.
It's really not stupid at all as there's plenty of games out there that handle True Last Boss fights and looping differently. It was mostly when CAVE's games became popular that the "2nd loop has a special TLB fight" became more of an established thing, but there were plenty of looping games made before then that didn't have TLBs, be it infinitely looping games like Gradius, Parodius, Halley's Comet, etc, or games that were 2 loop games but simply had the same final boss at the end of both loops (Salamander 2, most Psikyo shmups). Unless you've been playing a lot of shmups or did your research, you can't be blamed for not knowing this. :P
The_Fix

Post by The_Fix »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:11 pm It's really not stupid at all
Thanks Roo, I appreciate it.

I'm going to take a few days off. Play Batrider and think about what to do next.
xxexiiaxx

Post by xxexiiaxx »

My first ever 1cc……. Very very excited Dondonpachi DFK 1.5.
I know it may be considered easy by a lot of people but I’m pretty happy with my first ever 1cc. My score was trash but hey it’s a start.
The_Fix

Post by The_Fix »

xxexiiaxx wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:33 am My first ever 1cc……. Very very excited Dondonpachi DFK 1.5.
I know it may be considered easy by a lot of people but I’m pretty happy with my first ever 1cc. My score was trash but hey it’s a start.
Be happy, you did a good job! :D
Things only get more wild from here; but you're up to it right? :twisted:
To Far Away Times

Got a no miss 1-ALL of Thundercross today. Made it to 2-3.

This a pretty easy memorizer. Just 1 or 2 things to watch out for per level and you're golden. Then it's just a matter of stringing it together for a full run. I learned the game from scratch to a no miss 1-ALL in half a day. Spent maybe five hours total.

I was learning the game with the twin lazer but made huge progress as soon as I switched to the boomerangs. I did eventually have to switch to the twin lazer for the last stage.

This is one of those comfort food games. You have a ton of firepower, you can take down bosses in seconds, there's no shortage of safe spots and rocking tunes. Some real feel good blasting. The stage 4 song is so good. Sounds like something that could have been in Thunderforce.

Final score: 1,339,300
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

xxexiiaxx wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:33 am My first ever 1cc……. Very very excited Dondonpachi DFK 1.5.
For me it was my first 1cc ever either ^^
Its not just a bit easier to get into the reach of an 1cc but its also extremely motivating because of the awesome visuals, vocals, soundeffects, weapon system, difficulty curve, artstyle and so on. Deathsmiles is easier and many other STGs are too, but they are often simply not THAT fun to play in comparison so I was much more motivated to hold on the 1cc with Daifukkatsu.