XRGB-mini Framemeister

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

Re: XRGB-mini Framemeister (now available !)

Post by Fudoh »

How come it won't work with PAL material then? Or, would it work if I chained it through the DVDO like I do the XRGB3 and made sure V-sync was on?
by working you mean real 720p50 or 1080p50 output, right ?
a) because the Mini disables v-sync automatically for 50Hz right now, so the output is fixed at 720p/1080p59.94Hz
b) because (for example) 720p50 or 1080p50 is not just the 720p60 or 1080p60 timing with adjusted refresh, but a whole different set of timing parameters.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Since you can now manually disable V-sync I'm once again hopeful that MVS > Mini > TV will work for me too :)

How about you Artemio, how is the MVS working on your TV?
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Just played metal slug x for ten minutes on one mvs 1f. Everything worked flawlessly with vsync off. Well test an Aes and some other games later
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

And with V-sync it didn't work, right? :)
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

It does. But am waiting to play Pulstar and other titles for a longer period, and I haven't between able yet. Will Do so soon and report back
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Okay cool :)
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Wait... How do you turn vsync off in the menus? Is it the auto_sync setting? Auto for on and off for off?
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

OK, tested a few more Neo Geo games, With Sync in OFF some show a slight stutter here and there. With it set to AUTO the games run very smoothly on the MVS but the DVDO Edge shows a 25 ms delay. If I allow the edge to lock the output, my tv can't sync with Shock Troopers 2. I tested all the Metal Slugs, Neo Turf Masters, Pulstar, Shock troopers 2 and a few more. I am uploading a video showing this in Pulstar, but don't know if it will be visible. (On my phone I can't tell if it shows, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SVRxuVcDC4) Due to the dates I haven't been able to test other games or boards, will update after I do.

All these were done with a DVDO EDGE handing scaling for the TV.

CPS-III looks amazing, tested all games but JoJo 2. It has the same issue as the Neo Geo, but way less noticeable. It is 59.59hz instead of 59.18, vsync eliminates it completely in my setup.

Deathsmiles works flawlessly.

Moonwalker, sega system 18 doesn't sync. It is 57.24 hz. Blu screen on the mini, with or without sync. This one has only ever worked on a CRT monitor on the XRGB-2 or in B0 mode in the 3.

CPS-II is terrible without sync, and even worse with it. With it the image jumps way worse than any other system or board I have. 59.63 hz. With sync in auto, the edge marks unsupported signal ever so often, Neither the XRGB-2 or XRGB-3 had any issues with CPS-II, the 3 only needed AFC tweaked as detailed in the wiki.

Altered beast, system 16, works perfectly without vsync.

CPS-I, strider tested, same as CPS-II.

Sync is under Visual, sync mode, auto
Last edited by Artemio on Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If you have the chance, give the CPSII a try with an additional sync cleaner. MD/HoneyBee/Everdrive/MS Games were a constant dropout on mine and not a single dropout (actually played the first dungeon in GA Warrior) with the LM1881 in line.

Is there any reason why you're still running through the Edge ?
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

b) because (for example) 720p50 or 1080p50 is not just the 720p60 or 1080p60 timing with adjusted refresh, but a whole different set of timing parameters.
Ah right was not aware of that thanks Fudoh, happy new year everyone!
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
brandonp514

Post by brandonp514 »

I dont know if this has been answered but does the 8 pin din transmit audio as well as video? I saw the breakout audio cables on the scart cable going to the mini on someones setup. Am I going to need a power converter to use the mini in the US? Sorry if this has already been answered but I read this whole thread and didnt see anything.
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Fudoh wrote:If you have the chance, give the CPSII a try with an additional sync cleaner. MD/HoneyBee/Everdrive/MS Games were a constant dropout on mine and not a single dropout (actually played the first dungeon in GA Warrior) with the LM1881 in line.
I will need to build a cable with it, and here I don't have access to scart connectors... will need t figure something out for that. I do have a few LM1881s here though.
Fudoh wrote: Is there any reason why you're still running through the Edge ?
Mainly to have more info on the signal, and I've grown used to it. Besides, I kind of feel it does a better job scaling from 720p than my TV, but I have no solid basis for that. will do some testing tomorrow without it, with the XRGB-3 I used the VGA in of the TV and it did a pretty decent job. Will probably try DVI as well.
retr0gamer

Post by retr0gamer »

It does transmit audio as well as video. You won't need a power converter. The adapter does seem to run somewhat hot though so I'm looking for a 100-120V -> 5V DC 2.3A positive polarity adapter with a 1.7mm/4mm tip.
rtw

Post by rtw »

Thank you all for your detailed information on the mini.

I recenttly bought a SCART matrix switcher MARMITEK Connect 236 (http://www.marmitek.com/en/product-deta ... ct-236.php) so that I can switch between all my favourite consoles.

However if I leave my PS2 cable connected to the 236 whilst using another input my TV gets awfully confused between 16:9 and 4:3 in fact it changes aspect ratio at it's own whim.

Is there a place where one can buy proper PS2 SCART cables of high quality ?

Barring that, is there a place which describes how to make a proper PS2 cable ?

The one I have has 3 capacitors on RGB and a 75ohm resistor over pin 8 & 16. Howeve viletim says it should be 180 ohms on this page: http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/ ... escart.htm. Which one is correct ?
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If you can put your TV into RGB mode manually, you can simply remove Pins 8 and 16 from the cable connecting your switch to your TV. Same is true for all videogame RGB cables. The TV switches the aspect ratio depending on the voltage available on Pin 8 and Pin 16 switches the TV between composite and RGB.
rtw

Post by rtw »

Fudoh wrote:If you can put your TV into RGB mode manually, you can simply remove Pins 8 and 16 from the cable connecting your switch to your TV. Same is true for all videogame RGB cables. The TV switches the aspect ratio depending on the voltage available on Pin 8 and Pin 16 switches the TV between composite and RGB.
Sorry my TV cannot do that, it needs pin 16 to be above 1V before it will enable RGB. I will try with 180 ohms across pin 8 and 16 tomorrow.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

but you can still remove Pin8 to avoid the changes in aspect ratio.
rtw

Post by rtw »

Fudoh wrote:but you can still remove Pin8 to avoid the changes in aspect ratio.
That is a good point, if the 180 ohm resistor does not fix this issue I will try that.
rtw

Post by rtw »

I did some more investigations. If the PS2 is set to 4:3 it will never actually output 12V on pin 8 to indicate that the TV should switch to 4:3, the signal is always 5V. So in order to get a PS2 to automatically switch the TV to 4:3 you need a 5V to 12V DC converter.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You should really take this a seperate topic... There are no (or hardly no) home videogame system which output 12V through Scart. Usually full 5V mean 16:9, while a lower voltage means 4:3. And you sure don't need a 5V to 12V converter to run any system in 4:3.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Artemio wrote:Moonwalker, sega system 18 doesn't sync. It is 57.24 hz. Blu screen on the mini, with or without sync. This one has only ever worked on a CRT monitor on the XRGB-2 or in B0 mode in the 3.
Sync is under Visual, sync mode, auto
Huh... I tried my MJ Moonwalker PCB and it worked fine for me. :? I believe I had sync mode set to auto. Thanks for confirming about V-SYNC!
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

RGB32E wrote:
Artemio wrote:Moonwalker, sega system 18 doesn't sync. It is 57.24 hz. Blu screen on the mini, with or without sync. This one has only ever worked on a CRT monitor on the XRGB-2 or in B0 mode in the 3.
Huh... I tried my MJ Moonwalker PCB and it worked fine for me. :? I believe I had sync mode set to auto. Thanks for confirming about V-SYNC!
Retested, even after fresh boot the same applies. Same thing with my other system 18 board, Alien Storm. Here is a pic of my board, changed the CPU and decrypted the roms... however my Suicide CPU is still alive.. tested with it as well and the original ROMS, and same thing. The mini simply doesn't sync with it... Retried on my XRGB-3, and just as I recalled it only works when using B0. Of course none if my arcade monitors has issues with it.

Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Been using the Mini directly to the TV, no edge today.. and results are quote different in some regards.

The TV used is a Samsung LN46A950.

BTW, tested CPS-II and CPS-I without the EDGE, directly to the TV. It is way better, sorry about that.. at least I specified an EDGE was in the chain. CPS-II works with and without SYNC, without it it has very slight stutter, like once every minute. CPS-I has a bit more more, but it is fixed with SYNC. Strider felt a bit laggy, but that might be my reflexes... the mini reported a measly 5.6 ms delay and the TV is in game mode, as always.

Neo Geo MVS woks well with SYNC OFF, however stutter is noticeable. During the Pulstar intro, with large zones of movement, it is there every few seconds. Other games aren't as noticieable. My TV simply can't sync with the mini when using SYNC in AUTO with teh MVS, tested about 8 games and all behaved the same way.

The Genesis has the same stutter here and again with SYNC OFF, but with SYNC in AUTO everything runs very smoothly, it reports 7.81ms on the mini, No issues with the everdrive even with SYNC in AUTO.

Saturn worked nicely, again some stutter without SYNC, but way less than any other. SYN in AUTO eliminates it completely and reports 1.6 ms with Radiant Silvergun. When switching resolutions the screen geos black since the mini adjusts it.

Still no LM1881, I am missing a 0.1uF cap... will buy it tomorrow and use it, did have most of the other components at hand though, Have to test my RGB nes, PCE, N64, and many others to go =P.

Also, it is nice to finally be able to add scanlines to my PS3 games while in 480p, without buying the HD Fury. Played a bit of Sonix CD and SFIII:OE. They are too dark for my taste, specially when used over 480p, but they sure are pretty anyway.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Holy crap this looks good :shock:

NO jailbars whatsoever on my skeleton Saturn and the picture is super sharp as well. I'm still on the japanese firmware, so do you have to change something to enable sound on HDMI, or is it just the HDMI cable from the Optoma HD3000 that doesn't support audio?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The Mini automatically outputs audio through HDMI, but I think the Optoma does not support audio passthrough... There are no HDMI cables "without audio" though.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

You're right. Turned out I had set my TV to use analog inputs as sound for that HDMI port... :)

However, as feared MVS does not work AT ALL. Doesn't matter if I run it though an Extron device or run the Mini through the Edge :(

Screen just flashes black every now and then and displays "No input", but the sound is playing fine. Changing the sync setting on the Mini doesn't help, the Edge just sees both as pure 60Hz input.

Am I missing something? :(
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

WTF?! MegaDrive doesn't work either. In full status it says something strange like 699Hz input...
Plasia

Post by Plasia »

Didn't someone have MVS working before? Tested all the metal slugs and such?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Konsolkongen wrote:WTF?! MegaDrive doesn't work either. In full status it says something strange like 699Hz input...
Ah wait a minute. It seems like it's the incredibly crappy female scart connector that's to blame. When I twist it the MegaDrive's picture comes up just fine. Have to replace the female connector then... :/

Perhaps MVS will work too after this.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I had MVS fully working (used a 4-slot board). Konsolkongen: update to 1.04 first to fix the vsync off issue.