Ridley Scott to direct prequel to Alien!!!!!!....

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Acid King

Re: Ridley Scott to direct prequel to Alien!!!!!!....

Post by Acid King »

I'll just leave this here...

Ridley Scott Links PROMETHEUS To BLADE RUNNER
Todd Brown, Founder and Editor

And now Ridley Scott's Prometheus is not just a quasi-prequel to Alien but also a quasi-sequel to Blade Runner. Or, at the very least, the director has made it clear that both films take place in the same universe while establishing a direct link between key players.

Allow me to explain.

Human replacement technology factors large into both franchises - androids in Alien, replicants in Blade Runner - and now an Easter Egg included in the UK steelbook release of Prometheus has made it clear that not only were these two rival systems developed in the same world but that their respective creators - Peter Weyland in Alien, Eldon Tyrell in Blade Runner - were not only alive and working in the same world but that the duo had a mentor-student relationship. How so? Check the image below, a supposed email from Peter Weyland detailing the relationship.

The obvious question now is with Scott developing sequels to both Prometheus and Blade Runner, will this relationship become more explicit or is this just a one off to get fans talking?
http://twitchfilm.com/2012/10/ridley-sc ... unner.html
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

I finally got around to watching this movie a few days ago.

I really, really...REALLY don't understand the motivation of the engineers. I mean, why randomly go and seed a planet with life and then decide to go back and kill everyone? Why, when confronted with a "person" who was smart enough to learn their language, would the engineer try to kill him and everyone else?

Just didn't seem to make sense.
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Acid King wrote:I'll just leave this here...

Ridley Scott Links PROMETHEUS To BLADE RUNNER
Todd Brown, Founder and Editor

And now Ridley Scott's Prometheus is not just a quasi-prequel to Alien but also a quasi-sequel to Blade Runner. Or, at the very least, the director has made it clear that both films take place in the same universe while establishing a direct link between key players.

Allow me to explain.

Human replacement technology factors large into both franchises - androids in Alien, replicants in Blade Runner - and now an Easter Egg included in the UK steelbook release of Prometheus has made it clear that not only were these two rival systems developed in the same world but that their respective creators - Peter Weyland in Alien, Eldon Tyrell in Blade Runner - were not only alive and working in the same world but that the duo had a mentor-student relationship. How so? Check the image below, a supposed email from Peter Weyland detailing the relationship.

The obvious question now is with Scott developing sequels to both Prometheus and Blade Runner, will this relationship become more explicit or is this just a one off to get fans talking?
http://twitchfilm.com/2012/10/ridley-sc ... unner.html
So that explains the slick tidbit of Weyland-Yutani stickers placed inside the high-tech vid-phone booth setup when Deckard is trying to get Rachel to come down to that bar in the Blu-Ray version of the Blade Runner: Final Cut version. Back in 2007, this little visual tidbit was regarded as an insider nod to the original Alien movie at best. In 2012, all those Weyland-Yutani stickers placed within that particular scene take on a whole new meaning indeed. It all makes sense now. A frame-by-frame analysis provides the proof/goods.

Fascinating stuff to learn that both Weyland and Tyrell were working together in the 21st century timeline within the Alien/Blade Runner/Prometheus universe. I assume that the Tyrell Corp. would still be making the latest production models of the Nexus replicants when the Prometheus ships embarks on her maiden voyage.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Well, I got this on "standard" DVD, and I LOVE it! I've already watched it twice! :D I do have two questions about the movie-first of all, what the heck happened to Charlie, after he was seemingly killed by a flamethrower? The next morning, it's like he's some kind of super zombie/monster.

Also, what type of alien is the one that attacks Milburn-breaks his arm, and then forces itself down his throat?? Some kind of primitive chestburster?

Those are the biggest questions I have.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

dave4shmups wrote: Also, what type of alien is the one that attacks Milburn-breaks his arm, and then forces itself down his throat?? Some kind of primitive chestburster?
The arm-breaker thing is one of the worms that are exposed when the crew first enters the room with the large head, after they've been exposed to the goop.
lol
BIL

Post by BIL »

dave4shmups wrote:what the heck happened to Charlie, after he was seemingly killed by a flamethrower? The next morning, it's like he's some kind of super zombie/monster
That wasn't Charlie, it was Fifeld (the geologist who got his helmet melted and went face down in the black goo).
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

OK, so what does that black goo do to people? And, how did the arm-breaker kill after it went into his mouth?
Farewell to hollow words
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

dave4shmups wrote:OK, so what does that black goo do to people? And, how did the arm-breaker kill after it went into his mouth?
Mutates them, but doesn't explain much more than that.

:/
lol
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, it's got more uses than WD-40.

re: Millburn, I guess the snake fucked up his innards something fierce? He was certainly dead and his corpse thoroughly infested when the others found him.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

I watched this when it first hit DVD and didn't find it too bad. I wasn't expecting anything like Alien so that helped. They could have at least made the forshadowing a little bit more subtle. Introducing and explaining the life pod and medical chamber just made me go "Well, those will be important." I also don't understand the point of having so many excess crew members. The slasher section seemed like it was only there to take out anyone not of central importance. Kinda like that dumbass slasher section in "Sunshine". Not that "Sunshine" was a marvel of modern cinema... I did, however, love the helmet-melting death. Disturbing, but fun. They still acted under horror-movie logic, so that sucked.

I didn't really see anything that excludes this movie from being part of the Aliens series. The planet wasn't LV-426, but it would make sense to have multiple installations in the same general area. If Scott was smart, he would work in the disaster in this movie into the backstory of 426. I was honestly expecting the Space Jockey ship to crash on 426 during the final scenes, but nay. He copped out and made a quasi-happy ending with room for a sequel. Really, if Scott was looking for a stand-alone movie he could have had the Prometheus crash into the Space Jockey outside of the atmosphere, sending him into 426. This is assuming they're both in the same system. I'm not that up on the backstory.

I suppose I was most disappointed by the alien designs. The Space Jockey looking human was stupid (and screws up the second level boss in Aliens: Infestation), and the primary antagonist was a mostly formless goo. That's tough to take in. I was excited about the proto-facehugger, as the facehugger is my favorite aspect of the original movies, but it ended up being a space squid with no character. Let's hope they get better in the next movie.

Overall, not a bad ride, but not the cinematic experience everyone was hoping for.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Was watching a 15 minute documentary on the making of Scott's Prometheus flick today on HBO2 and it was mentioned that the Prometheus is the flagship of the Weyland fleet. It also revealed the actual dimensions of the Prometheus flagship as well:

Prometheus measurements data:

Length: 600 feet

Width: 250 feet

Height: 150 feet

Weight: ?

Overall internal cargo space in terms of square footage: ?

It's quite a formidable ship in it's own right with the FTL warp engines and it's given dimensions to the tune of a trillion dollars (that's a 1,000 billion dollars that Weyland had put up firsthand to make this maiden voyage possible in the first place).

Makes me wonder when Scott and 20th Century Fox Studio will get down to making the second & third sequels to Prometheus? Not to mention Scott's desire to do another Blade Runner reboot as he originally envisioned it down the road.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Oh I've seen this movie, I liked it.
Was this the Aliens origins? So I guess the Alien is a mix of black goo+human+space jocky after all
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Isn't Scott coming out with the sequel (which I think is named Paradise) next year? I wonder how they'll get the aliens to LV-426 from one of it's moons?
Farewell to hollow words
xris

Post by xris »

I'm watching the first AVP right now, and Lance Henriksen plays Weyland. Why didn't they get him for Prometheus instead of slapping make up on some goon? Lance dies - but so what?
And, it's fun that the AVP movies are in the cannon universe where Aliens are bioweaons of the Engineers to fight Pedators. So, I have to lump Prometheus with Alien Requiem and AVP 1&2 as a series that is moderately better than Resident Evil.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

xris wrote:I'm watching the first AVP right now, and Lance Henriksen plays Weyland. Why didn't they get him for Prometheus instead of slapping make up on some goon? Lance dies - but so what?
And, it's fun that the AVP movies are in the cannon universe where Aliens are bioweaons of the Engineers to fight Pedators. So, I have to lump Prometheus with Alien Requiem and AVP 1&2 as a series that is moderately better than Resident Evil.
I think it's a gross disservice to lump anything with AVP, even Prometheus. For all its shitness, it's not that shit.

AVP definitely belongs in the same sentence as the Resident Evil movies, however, I'll give you that.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

dcharlieJP

Post by dcharlieJP »

And, it's fun that the AVP movies are in the cannon universe where Aliens are bioweaons of the Engineers to fight Pedators.
how will that resolve with the fact that Predators seed worlds with facehuggers so they'll spawn Alien Queen/soldiers to blood their young warriors against - or is that all part of an ongoing war wth the Engineers? #wibble
"It's really the only sensible thing to do, if its done safely. Therapeutically there's no danger involved."