ST: Battle Garegga (20.7.14 - edits, record replays list)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Now that you've got some stuff on the ships up, I ought to toss in something I've been meaning to bring up...I've wondered whether the speed ratings found on the Batrider instruction card would also apply accurately to the Garegga and Mahou ships in this game as well. According to the copy I'm looking at on the Sheep's/rtw's site, they're rated like this, on a scale of 1 to 12 (only Golden is rated a full 12, and Shorty's the slowest, at 2):

Silver Sword - 5
Grass Hopper - 4
Flying Baron - 7
Wild Snail - 3
Gain - 9
Chitta - 7
Miyamoto - 11
Bornnam - 4

Off the cuff those ratings seem at least fairly accurate (the parallels between Grass Hopper/Bornnam and Flying Baron/Chitta are at least pretty close) but I figured someone else would probably want to test this out more "scientifically" than I have.
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

How come when I'm doing a very slow single fire tap on the popcorn enemies before the stage 1 boss, I always end up somehow programming the most massive rapidfire into the software auto-fire memory thing? It's really frustrating having that kind of fire-rate in a game that raises rank for shooting. Especially when I don't MEAN to use the 8-second program thing. And even weirder still, how does it turn

fire.................................fire.............................fire............................ fire

into

-------------------------------------------------------------- <- bullets
beam

Post by beam »

Maybe your joystick button is badly wired (I suppose you play with a stick not a pad). The same thing happened to me until I changed the stock hori buttons with sanwas on the hrap.
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

Nope, I'm using a dual-shock via PSX -> USB adapter.

Something occured to me, will button fire roll over like your rank does? Because I did stick a super high rate of fire in on one of my goof-off runs, and it might have just still been left over from that.
Macaw

Post by Macaw »

Great justice of bump gain great happiness from oversized guide
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Indeed, bump for gaming social awareness. Amazing game, amazing guide.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
orange

Post by orange »

could anyone give me some words of wisdom for nose lavagghin mark 2? its last pattern (that fast spread) decimates me and rarely am i able to just weapon through the whole thing

is there any way to destroy the boss before this pattern?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

orange: yes

He has 6 wing propellers, 4 in back and 2 in front. What I do is kill 2 of the 4 rear propellers, then focus on all the junk in his core. The goal is to leave 1 of the big central missile launchers alive, and if you are careful you can hit his core without damaging that missile launcher, thus avoiding the evil bullet spread.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Quick question - I have my A button set to Shot 6, is this the default rate, that is, the rate at which Shot is initially set? I do this to prevent myself from accidentally increasing the rank early on in the game. It just seems 'wrong' that shot 1-5 would be Saturn-exclusive. I'm sure we went through this awhile ago, but it's been so long since I played it that I've lost most of my already limited knowledge of the game.

Anyway I'm going for a clear with a decent score by August, maybe not a world-record breaker but something where I understand what needs to be done with each boss coupled with decent execution. The stage 2 flamingoes were always kind of a pain with the Bat, which ship are they easiest with? The Baron? I dunno why they're so problematic while the bosses are not, I just could never get a consistent score out of them.
jpj

Post by jpj »

is is possible to play a 2-loop game on the pcb version by pressing DOWN+START after inserting a credit? (and a harder mode by UP+START)
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
Crayfis

Post by Crayfis »

Great guide. Nice work :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Neon wrote:The stage 2 flamingoes were always kind of a pain with the Bat, which ship are they easiest with?
I'd say Gain is probably the easiest to get big flamingo scores with. Possibly the best all-around ship actually.
henry dark

Post by henry dark »

This guide is a thing of great cultural and historical significance. I've been riding the Garegga/Batrider train non-stop all month.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Just wanted to say that Garegga is an awfully complex game, but this guide really makes things easier for everyone. Normally it'd take months to do well at this game, but now even a shmup beginner can be good at it rather quickly, thanks to all the info posted here. Thanks to Icarus and everyone who helped make this ST.

I have one question, though - to select the Mahou ships, I know I need to input the code UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT A B C START after putting in a credit. But no matter how many times I try, the guest ships won't appear. Do I need an specific ROM version or emulator for this to work? Do I need to press the buttons A B C at the same time, rather than in sequence (so far I'm trying in sequence)? I have no idea what I'm doing wrong...
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
innerpattern

Post by innerpattern »

I don't know about difference between version or emulators ( I have wolfMAME ) but I've always entered the code in sequence and usually as fast as I like. It's not like bakraid where you do 1 input per second. Pretty annoying code though because it has to be done every time you come back to the title screen. Maybe check to see that none of your buttons are assigned to overlapping buttons, remove auto-fire etc...Not much help to you sorry...
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Ruldra wrote:I have one question, though - to select the Mahou ships, I know I need to input the code UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT A B C START after putting in a credit. But no matter how many times I try, the guest ships won't appear. Do I need an specific ROM version or emulator for this to work? Do I need to press the buttons A B C at the same time, rather than in sequence (so far I'm trying in sequence)? I have no idea what I'm doing wrong...
I think there may be a ROM version somewhere that disables the Guest Ships, but if you're using the Japanese set, the code should work fine. Insert a credit, put the code in (in sequence), and then press start, and it should work.

Alternatively, you could try to use the IPS patches that zakk posted here, to enable them all the time.
Cromarty

Post by Cromarty »

About the section for Mad Ball - the guide says to wait for the "audible chime" signaling the activation of the inner turrets before attacking with a bomb.
This was confusing for me at first, since the center turret's cue seemed to match the description more closely than the inner turrets' squeaky click. (I'm playing in MAME.)
Later I saw your Bornnam replay on Saturn from the score thread, and the inner turret ring made the exact same sound as the center turret.

Are the sounds supposed to differ this way?
Your party has been waylaid by monsters.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

MAME doesn't emulate the sounds totally accurately I think, therefore the inner turrets will activate to what sounds like a "click" instead of a chime.
The timing for the attack is the same, however - if you want to make it a bit easier for yourself, count attack patterns: the inner turrets will activate after five separate attack patterns from the outer turrets.
Cromarty

Post by Cromarty »

Alright, thanks for clearing that up.
Strange that MAME would pick the wrong sound to play like that, but it makes more sense than the port having a single sound changed.
Your party has been waylaid by monsters.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Some observations about playing with Gain:

Mad Ball

Timing is everything.
One small mistake can cost a lot and you have to know exactly when and where to drop the first bomb. With Gain you don't necessarily have to wait five attack cycles in order to drop it. If you're lucky you can use it before his second attack! So when exactly? Watch the boss' movement closely, if Mad Ball is moving slightly downwards, it's your chance. If the boss is at the very top some parts won't be on screen during his attack and can't be hit by your bomb. As if that wouldn't be enough, you're also not able to destroy his parts if they are in the upper 1/10 of the screen (common feature in Raizing games like Batrider, Ibara etc.: enemies in the upper 1/10 of the screen seem to be invincible).

Make sure he’s under the red line when you bomb. You can use the green “Insert Coin” text as a reference.

Now if he's at the right place it's equally important to know when to use the bomb. You actually have to drop it before the outer ring starts to spread out, so that all parts are destroyed at the same time before they shoot their first bullets. Try to press the bomb button right before the outer turrets are completely closed from the last attack cycle! It's essentially important that the bomb covers all parts at once.
The perfect placement for the bomb would be exactly the middle, but since he's moving around, it's quite difficult to know where this is. The best is to drop the bomb right before he’s going to stop for a moment, so that all his parts are destroyed the next time he starts moving again.
Either you have destroyed all inner turrets already (if you had to wait longer for Mad Ball to move down) or you now have to take them out one by one. Set your options to back formation and keep shooting during the attack patterns. Everytime he stops firing, you do the same. Try not to harm the main body too much. Use the same strategy for the central turret aswell.

If done correctly, you roughly get:

outer ring: ~1.000.000
inner ring: ~250.000
central turret: ~50.000
main body: ~100.000

=1.400.000

And since you get another 1,4mill from Mad Ball Mk 2, this is, besides the flamingoes and Black Heart Mk 2, one of the key scoring tricks of the game!
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Yes, you are correct. It is best to wait until the boss is low down on the screen before you attack, otherwise you have a few turrets in the buffer and you lose those points. This is also why you see many players stalling the boss in replays, because they are waiting for the right time to attack.

Ibara features two side deadzones as well, about 1/20th of the screen on the left and right side are buffers where enemies are often invincible. This is most noticeable when doing the hadou scoring trick at Kasumi and Teresa.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Can I maybe force you another time to come out of retirement, please? :)
A Bornnam ALL and a Flying Baron ALL are still waiting for you and there's always some time for good ol' Garegga.
Icarus wrote:STATIONARY FLYING ENEMIES:
Just after the 1UP location you will see a large group of stationary "flying" enemies. If you use Weapon on all of these, then you'll get around 1,000pts per enemy destroyed. These drones also follow the item drop sequence as well, and every enemy here will drop an item at their location, so be careful how you go about destroying the enemies and picking up the spoils.
This is not quite correct. You only want to kill the green enemies on the right side with a well placed bomb to get a 20k bonus (10*2000). The red enemies on the left side don't give you any points, whether you use Shot or Bomb doesn't matter.
I like chocolate milk

Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Does anyone have a complete picture of the huge green battleship of stage 5 (the one right before Black Heart) ?
I'd like to give an overview, which part gives you how many points etc.
Let's finally finish this guide, ICR!
I like chocolate milk

Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

could you guys wait until i clear rfj
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Stage 5 - Flying platforms

Each flying platform has 4 propellers which can only be destroyed with Weapon and give you 5.000 points each. Before you can hit the main body, you first destroy the cockpit, that shoots an aimed three-way shot at you. (the main body shoots a 5-way one) It’s worth 5.000 if destroyed with Weapon or penetrative bullets and 10.000 if destroyed with non penetrative Shot. Finally the main body is worth 10.000 if destroyed with Weapon or penetrative bullets and 20.000 if destroyed with non penetrative Shot.

Code: Select all

propellers: 4*5.000 = 20.000
cockpit:              10.000
main body:            20.000

=50.000
@Twiddle
No u
Last edited by Plasmo on Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I like chocolate milk

Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Stage 4 - Pipes, watertanks and tank hangars

The watertanks on the left give you 4*10.000 = 40.000 if destroyed with Weapon. The small pipes give you 1.000 and can only be destroyed with Weapon. After it’s destruction, the small tanks will fire at you. Later on you will encounter another set of these small pipes.

The big pipe on the left can only be destroyed with Weapon and gives you, besides an Option power up, a 10.000 bonus. There are 3 big pipes found troughout the stage. The small pipes on the right can only be destroyed with Weapon and give you 5*10.000 = 50.000. On top of that, every pipe will uncover two medals. If your medal value is maxed out, this makes (5*10.000) + (5*2*10.000) = 150.000!

These tank hangars can only be destroyed with Weapon. While their destruction won’t give you any points at all, they will uncover 4 medals each. There are plenty of them to be found during the stage, so keep an eye on them.

-----
Of course a large map would've been much better, but for the time being, I guess this is sufficient.
I like chocolate milk

Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Stage 6 - Opening

Right at the start of stage 6 you’ll encounter the most difficult section to hold your medalchain. Consistently getting through this part without losing a medal is quite a good challenge, I still break my chain there over 50%. There are 4 phases of midsize enemies and while the third and fourth phase are really easy, the first two and especially the second is really hard. Without a proper strategy you’ll be lost here, no luck can help you.
Let’s take a closer look at the second phase, where you encounter 3 gunblimps at once. Each gunblimp consists of 3 main parts, the main body and two wings, whereas each wing has 4 small turrets and 1 propeller.

Know your enemy!

Code: Select all

main body:            1,000
propeller: 5,000*2 = 10,000
turret:    1,000*8 =  8,000
                   = 19,000
The first thing to do, is to set you options to spread, or even better, front formation and shoot the right part of the right gunblimp to destroy its 4 turrets on that side.

However, if you were too slow with the first phase of enemies or you don’t feel safe collecting these first four medals, you can also set you options to back formation and shoot the mainbody to destroy the right gunblimp early on.

Stay underneath the turrets between the red lines, so you can collect the 4 falling medals without too much risk. Only make vertical dodges for the bullets.

The situation should look like on the following pic:

Next is to fly over to the left side of the screen and position yourself to the left of the gunblimp. It’s important that you not just crash into the gunblimp to suicide, because this way, your shrapnel won’t hit the turrets on the side you’ve crashed into. Just stay on the side and wait for one of the bullets to hit you.

After your revival it rains medals! But don’t panic, it’s easy to pick them all up if you do it right. Since you’re invincible for the next 2-3 seconds you don’t have to care about any bullets and can concentrate on getting all the medals. The best is to collect them in the order that is shown on the screenshot. You don’t necessarily have to collect the medals in the red square, if you get all from the fourth column you won’t break your chain. While collecting the medals, you should also shoot the remaining gunblimps to destroy them, they won’t spew any more medals, so you can concentrate on getting the falling ones.

If you have somehow missed a line of medals, STOP shooting to wait for another medal to maybe fall down from the popcorn enemies of the next section. There’s a high chance you can get lucky here.
I like chocolate milk

Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Wow, someone's been busy. ^_-
I'll add this stuff to the guide in a sec. Keep it coming Plasmo, and grats on your current scores.

As for a complete pic of the st5 giant bomber, the only image I have is taken from the Handbook, and is kind of small.

You can find other items in the st5 segment of one of the links you sent me, however.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Red homing enemy

Not an important scoring trick, but since it’s easy and I couldn’t find any information elsewhere, I think it’s worth mentioning here.

This enemy is worth 2,000 points if destroyed with bomb.

You’ll encounter a wave of 16 of these enemies in stage 2, right after the section, where the tanks roll over the little houses. There are enough small bomb segments from the ground turrets. Make sure you use one bomb segment to destroy at least two red homing enemies. The other red popcorn enemy isn’t worth anything, so you don’t have to worry about them.

=32,000 points

In stage 4, a wave of 32 of these small enemies starts to appear when you arrive at the five small pipes, that give you two medals each. It’s a tad more difficult to kill them all with bomb, but still manageable.

=64,000 points
I like chocolate milk

guigui

Post by guigui »

Hey Icarus, really nice job for this strategy thread.

Is there a kind of .pdf or printable version somewhere ?

If not, I'll be making one of not-top quality for my own use. I can give it to you if you wish.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.