Bloodstained RotN : Kouji IGA's new "Castlevania" game.

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Blinge

Re: Bloodstained RotN : Kouji IGA's new "Castlevania" game.

Post by Blinge »

Couple of things, the wizard's clone technique + a boss look lifted straight from Shovel Knight...

That may sound like a retarded observation but it isn't :wink:

Edit: oh c'mon, that boss slamming the pile of gold & creating shockwaves of coins is b-b-blatant!
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

BrianC wrote:Bloodstained Curse of the Moon looks neat, but I'll go for the Switch version this time around since the last few 3DS games from Inti were only 30 FPS for no good reason.
huh oh, that's worrisome. What about Vita, should I be afraid of this?
X - P - B
ryu

Post by ryu »

opt2not wrote:That’s how you please your fanbase, Konami.
I don't think the corporates at Konami's top give a fuck about their fans when they can rake in pachinko bucks.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Curse of the Moon looks like a game I should be excited for, but I have my reservations. Have Inti Creates inticreated anything worth playing since Mega Man ZX?
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Zx Advent, of course!

I personally greatly enjoyed Blaster Master Zero. It wasn't without its flaws, but I found them easily pardonable and the experience overall to be incredibly charming.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Turrican wrote:
BrianC wrote:Bloodstained Curse of the Moon looks neat, but I'll go for the Switch version this time around since the last few 3DS games from Inti were only 30 FPS for no good reason.
huh oh, that's worrisome. What about Vita, should I be afraid of this?
Probably not since Vita is more powerful, but the last games on 3DS were even lacking 3D features (I have to check for Mighty Gunvolt Burst, but Blaster Master Zero definitely lacks them) and still went for 30 FPS (no special support for New 3DS either). It was especially puzzling for a retro styled game like Mighty Gunvolt Burst.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

The fact they are making a 3DS version is surprising enough at this point. I appreciate it. :lol:
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
FRO

Post by FRO »

SUPER STOKED about Curse of the Moon, especially since, as an original backer, I get that bad boy for free on my Switch as a bonus! I watched the footage last night, and it looks incredible. Very much in that "12-bit" sort of vein, where it does things the NES can't do, but still keeps that kind of graphical style and appeal.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Marc wrote:It's cool that they delivered to backers. But it's those guys that make NES games ghat aren't as good as the NES games they're based on. Hope the main game is good.
You do know Blaster Master Zero is better than the original, right?
Sumez wrote:Curse of the Moon looks like a game I should be excited for, but I have my reservations. Have Inti Creates inticreated anything worth playing since Mega Man ZX?
The Gunvolts (the third game was announced on the same day as CotM), the Mighty Gunvolts (especially Burst), and Blaster Master Zero.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Do you really think the Gunvolt games (including Mighty) are even remotely enjoyable?
The stages in them feel like pointless fluff that you just need to bore your way through, rather than cleverly positioned enemies that form a challenge for you to work your way through. ZX Advent was already working heavily in that direction, but in the Gunvolt games it's especially bad.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Like "most Mega Man games", according to basically everyone in those rare moments when their needless frustration finally shatters their rose-colored ruby-quartz glasses? Especially whenever MM7 or 8 enter the discussion, because for some reason 4, 5, and 6 get a free pass for looking like the original trilogy, despite otherwise being perfect scapegoats for this bullshit? Yeah, I guess something like that. I learned real fast that it's all perspective and people don't really know what they're talking about.

Mighty No.9 has the exact same kind of design as Gunvolt. However, people say the same thing about Mighty No.9 but are willing to hold Gunvolt to a much higher standard. At the same time, you have the people who say that about Gunvolt but refuse to touch Mighty No.9. Somehow, you also have weirdos who legitimately believe that Blaster Master Zero is not strictly superior to the original. I learned real fast that it didn't really matter whether Inti Creates got a bad rap from Mighty No.9 or not, because this would happen instead.

Protip: the western Mega Man "community" is garbage, and everyone who claims to be "a Mega Man fan" is garbage. It's been seven years of this now, and I'm as ready for seven more years of this as I'll ever be.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

It has literally nothing to do with "most Mega Man games". Inti Creates never understood what made Mega Man great, we've already covered that in the Mega Man thread :)

And I'm in the camp who says both Gunvolt and Might no. 9 got it wrong, I don't understand how you could see it differently. Blaster Master Zero looks good though, but I haven't played it, so it might as well not be. The original Blaster Master is probably quite a bit overrated though. :)
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I enjoyed Mega Man 9 well enough, but I really, really hated everything about Gunvolt. I hated the bland and repetitive level design and enemy placement, I hated the boss design, I hated the convoluted control scheme that often required alternating between holding and tapping 3-4 different buttons (shot, lightning field, dash, jump). I was really, really excited for the game and hyped for it on launch day, but I felt completely soured on it after a few hours playing it alone in my room.

I hear Gunvolt 2 is better, but I have yet to try it.

As for Blaster Master Zero, I think I ultimately like the original Blaster Master better because some of the level design in the tank sections is a little better: many corridors feel like warzones with sine wave pests flying by, skulls dropping bombs at you, mooks to shoot, etc. as you roll along. Zero has some nice platforming here and there, and I appreciate making hover a rechargeable ability (in fact, having it auto recharge but still power back up from enemy drops is a genius idea, encouraging you to keep on the move and use it cleverly), but it's level design overall feels a bit more sedate. Ultimately both games are very rough around the edges, but playing them back to back, I find the original's high points to be higher.

That, and the TLB requirements in Zero are almost crippling: the top down sections are marginally improved but still a total slog to me, and getting the true final stage requires you to do all of them. For that reason alone, it's a game I recommend with slight caveats, but I still love it and I'm very happy to have it in my collection.
Last edited by Squire Grooktook on Tue May 15, 2018 7:41 am, edited 6 times in total.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Despatche wrote:
Marc wrote:It's cool that they delivered to backers. But it's those guys that make NES games ghat aren't as good as the NES games they're based on. Hope the main game is good.
You do know Blaster Master Zero is better than the original, right?
Sumez wrote:Curse of the Moon looks like a game I should be excited for, but I have my reservations. Have Inti Creates inticreated anything worth playing since Mega Man ZX?
The Gunvolts (the third game was announced on the same day as CotM), the Mighty Gunvolts (especially Burst), and Blaster Master Zero.
Not a clue, very limited experience with the original, and after their two Mega Man games and Mighty No. 9, I played the Demo of BM0 and decided not to bother.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Sumez wrote: The original Blaster Master is probably quite a bit overrated though. :)
I never seen a game with as much filler as the NES Blaster Master. What's the point of exploring a level when you only need to clear one room to get the required power-up for the next area?
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

is it true that they're using / emulating the VRC6 for this game? (I think I've read some youtuber raving about this). If so, instant win.
X - P - B
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I don't see why not. Half the Famitracker hobby composers out there use the VRC6 channels.
JBC

Post by JBC »

Curse of the Moon looks incredible. I can't believe it's even a thing. Moment one purchase for me. Probably gonna go with the Switch version because of the great experience I had with Blaster Master Zero on it.

I hope this series knocks it out of the park & succeeds well enough to continue on with further entries. I like that we'll be two games in already, they just need to be good and I have a feeling they probably will be. I don't feel like this is gonna be another Mighty no.9.
Godzilla was an inside job
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm legit scared this might be a new Mighty no. 9.

But I'm trying to remain optimistic. :)

Since I backed the Kickstarter (and somehow had $20 added to my backer amount due to the weird way Fangamer handles things), I'm getting the bonus game for free, so I'll play it on the release date. Otherwise I'd probably have had my reservations due to reasons already discussed...
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

If Inti are apt (just apt, not magnificent developers) at mimicry, this (Curse of the Moon) has the potential to be the cream of the crop of the retro-inspired stuff.

Think about it... they're not remaking a Megaman here (yawn), they're dealing with Akumajou -fucking- Densetsu.

It's been GBA days since I've played some Inti, but it's hearwarming to hear that their rendition of Metafight has been well received. Again, Metafight or Rockman are top-50 materials, Akumajou -fucking- Densetsu is top 5 NES material, so the stakes are very, very high.

edit= still, it kinda breaks my heart to see that we're getting a plain boring Getsu Fuuma swordsman instead of the awesome wallclimbing pirate DaNasty. :?
X - P - B
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Wow, such bullshit.

Apparently they don't have the console version of Curse of the Moon ready, so they sent me a temporary Steam code instead. Says it'll expire on June 8th - hopefully I won't have to wait that long to play it. Was hoping to get to try it out before everyone else started talking about it.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote:Wow, such bullshit.

Apparently they don't have the console version of Curse of the Moon ready, so they sent me a temporary Steam code instead. Says it'll expire on June 8th - hopefully I won't have to wait that long to play it. Was hoping to get to try it out before everyone else started talking about it.
I thought it was just the 3DS and XBOX One versions that were delayed? PS4 and Switch versions are out now.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Turrican wrote:edit= still, it kinda breaks my heart to see that we're getting a plain boring Getsu Fuuma swordsman instead of the awesome wallclimbing pirate DaNasty. :?
Grant gets no respect. He's the only one of the CV3 quartet without a descendant in Aria of Sorrow and they left him out completely from that Netflix show (hopefully they'll fix that in Season 2).

Has the staff roll for the game been leaked yet? Curious to see who made it.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Sumez wrote:Wow, such bullshit.

I'm on the same boat, as well as thousands of other backers. Or the correct term is suckers?

Anyway... I wanted to spit venom at them, but then on a second thought, I began to reflect 1) it's not entirely their fault if Steam is gaining weight as the most reliable gaming platform, while consoles are plagued by slow bureocracy. 2) at the moment I think it's a small miracle that I'm getting it at all, since they did a Vita version and ensured PSTV compatibility. So I won't complain for getting it a couple weeks later that everyone. The saddest part of the whole affair is that you get hundreds of forum comments by backers and not a single one related to the actual game. However, I've heard it's five stages long, so in such a compact size it's fair to say that they didn't tackle the Akumajo Densetsu challenge for real, ie, as with too many games out there, they're celebrating something of the past, but they don't dare to really recreate it, because the sad truth is, it would get even less audience.

By the way, the went extraordinarily silent about the Vita port of the main game RotN that Armature was supposedly helping to flesh out. So fingers crossed, but let's brace for the worst.

@Johnny2x4: Grant is da man, of course having a clone of him would imply having sprawling horizontal and vertical stages to climb in every possible way: too much of a hassle. :x
X - P - B
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Turrican wrote: I've heard it's five stages long, so in such a compact size it's fair to say that they didn't tackle the Akumajo Densetsu challenge for real
According to the soundtrack uploaded on YouTube there's like 8 stages
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I believe I've made it to the last stage.

Good game. Not great. Not REALLY good. But it's good.
FRO

Post by FRO »

A couple of the YouTubers I follow have both said this was really good, and that the game's design encouraged multiple play-throughs because of branching paths, and unlocking new skills when you beat the game. Based on that, and the footage I saw of the first stage this morning, I'm even more excited to get my Switch download code!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BrianC wrote: I thought it was just the 3DS and XBOX One versions that were delayed? PS4 and Switch versions are out now.
I think it's just the codes that are delayed which just makes things worse. Want your reward for backing the project? You'll have to wait behind people who are ready to buy now.
This just reminds me of Mighty no. 9. I found physical copies in actual video game stores like a month before getting my download code for the game.
FRO wrote:A couple of the YouTubers I follow have both said this was really good, and that the game's design encouraged multiple play-throughs because of branching paths, and unlocking new skills when you beat the game.
When will people (fans and developers alike) learn that the correct way to encourage multiple playthroughs is by making playing the game itself feel rewarding, not by including fictive rewards for playing the game multiple times.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote:
BrianC wrote: I thought it was just the 3DS and XBOX One versions that were delayed? PS4 and Switch versions are out now.
I think it's just the codes that are delayed which just makes things worse.
It's annoying when they can't get the codes the same day as the game. I did read that the 3DS version was delayed 1 week for Europe and that the Xbox One version isn't coming until June 6 for all regions.
JBC

Post by JBC »

I'm two stages in & so far it's great. Feels like a legit Castlevania & seems to have an appropriate level of challenge.
Godzilla was an inside job