ST: Battle Garegga (20.7.14 - edits, record replays list)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

There is no attachment in your e-mail please resend
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Ditto, I have no attachments in the email. Please resend. ^_-
And wow, over 300 posts in this thread.

EDIT: Okie dokie, a completeish Stage 7 writeup is now online. As with the rest of the guide, improvements, additions and corrections will be made as time goes on. With that, the stage guides are now in a "Proofread and Update" status, while I have to finish off the Ship by Ship Breakdown. Screenshots and more clips to the rest of the guide forthcoming.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

!

Oh, for the love of...arrgh.

Sorry, my fault, emails re-sent. :oops:
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Got it. Reading it, and it works a lot better when you're given an idea of what to expect before you go into numbers. I'm quite happy with this draft. ^_^
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

This draft is looking good.

Now, to generate new players for this game.
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Okay, good to hear it's improved. If you want me to do anything else let me know, otherwise methinks my job here's pretty much done, heh heh. Time to go back to hating the game. ;)
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

As the topic states, both the Stage 7 writeup and the new Rank System sections are now available. Thanks again to BulletMagnet and Twiddle for working away at cracking the rank system code. ^_^
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Thanks so much for this guys, I got my Garegga PCB a bit ago and I'm really started to understand the game, that is when I'm not trying to get better at 3rd Strike match-ups. :)

Mike
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Icarus, do you need proof-reading of the guide? If so, i'm on standby, mission commencing on next Sunday ^_^;
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Feel free to Rando, your input is always appreciated. There is no rush of course, do it in your own time. Of course, if you see any discrepancies, or want to add some things, just let me know here and I'll put them up in the next draft.

I'm actually quite spent after writing up stage7 and BBCoding BulletMagnet's Rank System guide, so I'm going to relax this week.

Relax meaning blowing myself up in a Raizing game of some sort. ^_-
Neon

Post by Neon »

Don’t seal too many enemy bullets.
Also relatively minor compared to some other tips, but it can make a difference: while it may be tempting to sit right on top of that big ol’ tank to take advantage of its “dead zone” and prevent it from sending that nasty spread at you, those bullets are still hurting you, so to speak, even when they’re not actually fired at you. Sealing a few bullets here or there won’t destroy your game, but do it too much and you’ll likely wish you hadn’t.
Is it known how much this increases the rank by?

It seems like you don't get a huge amount of points from the level 3 boss milking anyway, so if it's big I'll change my strategy.

One more dumb question, the rapid settings under mania, which one is the same as the default shot rate? My Saturn pad has a bad A button I think, I'm still having that problem.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Neon wrote:Is it known how much this increases the rank by?
2,048 per bullet, one time increase. So for a single five-way spread sealed by the deadzone, that is a rank increase of 10,240. If you're thinking of sealing the bullets from the first form of the stage 3 boss, multiply that 10k increase many many times and you'll get an idea of how much rank goes up from 10 seconds worth of deadzone activity. ^_^;;

If you are confident in your abilities in the later stages, however, you can negate the increase by a single suicide.
Neon wrote:It seems like you don't get a huge amount of points from the level 3 boss milking anyway, so if it's big I'll change my strategy.
I don't advise milking the third stage boss for points anyway, as the amount is completely insignificant compared to later stages. And it is better for rank too.
Neon wrote:One more dumb question, the rapid settings under mania, which one is the same as the default shot rate? My Saturn pad has a bad A button I think, I'm still having that problem.
With the exact rapid settings in Mania, the higher the number, the slower the Shot Frequency. So set it to Shot Rapid 8 if you want default settings.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Shot Rapid 8 is actually slower than default, if it's every 8 frames.
unban shw
Neon

Post by Neon »

With the exact rapid settings in Mania, the higher the number, the slower the Shot Frequency. So set it to Shot Rapid 8 if you want default settings.
That's what I thought too (8=default), but I'm 99 percent sure it's slower than default on 8. I noticed it visually, as well as the sound effect, and I couldn't do the tanks. I'm using Golden Bat if it makes any difference...I'll trial and error it tomorrow I guess.

edit - twiddle beat me to it.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Default is every 7 frames, but every 6 frames offers no change in rank, so you might want to use that.
unban shw
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

If thats the case, then try Shot Rapid 7, as 7 is listed in the Rank section as default Shot Frequency. Alternatively, set up one button as the default Shot (not Rapid), and another button as Shot Frequency +1, which will give you precise control over your increases.

If only they had given you custom autofire in Ibara. I'm getting tired of hammering the fire button to increase Shot Frequency. -_-;;
Neon

Post by Neon »

try Shot Rapid 7, as 7 is listed in the Rank section as default Shot Frequency.
Ah shit :oops: I must have missed that

thanks, both of ya, I'll try 6 and the shot+1 for later levels.
Vincere

Post by Vincere »

Sooo about the superplay, I saw that WIZ used the trace formation and fired horizontally along the wing who wasn't destroyed. I assume he got many points by firing at six or seven parts at the same time. It would be cool for someone to watch it and tell me what's going on.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Vincere wrote:Sooo about the superplay, I saw that WIZ used the trace formation and fired horizontally along the wing who wasn't destroyed. I assume he got many points by firing at six or seven parts at the same time. It would be cool for someone to watch it and tell me what's going on.
REPOST!

First, some tables and stuff.

There are points along the wings referred to as "Rearwing" in the above table - each wing has approx. six of these destroyable sections. What WIZ does is fire straight across both wings using his Options to hit all of them at once, hence the 'skyrocketing' effect.

The only thing being that you can get the same amount of points doing it normally, like DXP-Yoshidaya does in the other three replays, or I myself do in my listed stage replays.

Also, notice how there are differing point values for each part depending on what type of attack you use to destroy them with? Also notice how there are a lot of target points along those wings? Destroying particular marked sections in a certain way will yield 10x the amount of points than normal - in this case, both the propellors on the front of each wing, the one mounted on the nose of the boss, and the main part of the twincannon (after you destroy the turrets) - and these parts contribute a lot to score.

580,000 after the first boss is the upper target. Over 610,000 is possible.
Vincere

Post by Vincere »

Ok, I checked the board. At the moment, I've never tried to play this boss properly. Sure I destroy everything, in a convenient order but I didn't destroy the part with a certain weapon. I'll try that.
Normally, I'm around 420 000 in the end. I simply use the homing special option, it's quite good in this section.
zinger

Post by zinger »

Man, I need the ship breakdown section. :)

For some reason, the weapon delay for Gain is inconsistant. This, in turn, makes a ~500k point difference to me when milking the flamingos. What determines this delay?

Many thanks!
SOUNDSHOCK
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

The bomb delay for Gain is determined by the amount of active sprites currently on screen (a currently fully active bomb is a shitload of sprites, so that's why you're able to put down two bombs quickly but not put out another bomb while one is fully deployed).

It's also inconsistent between MAME builds, as well as their effects. For example, with MAMEPlus .103 you can get two bombs in with the birds, but with Garelab you can get three bombs in and a corrupted stage map for the rest of the level or for thirty seconds.
Last edited by Twiddle on Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
unban shw
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

The PCB seems to be inconsistent here as well with regards to how many bombs Gain can get out at the same time. Also, the momentarily garbled stage BG happens every once in a while with various ships (you're talking about little squares with random blue and black patterns on them appearing all over the place, right?). I've also observed one or two really weird glitches happening during the flamingo section that bugged out the whole level and needed a reset. The glitchiness here was fixed in the Saturn version but doesn't surprise me that it can happen in MAME too.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I think you can pop off about three Weapons at least at the same time on the Saturn version. I don't recall any glitching though, but thats not to say that it might not happen.

Its a bit of a pain for Gain players as dropping a lot of Weapons on the flamingoes is key to scoring a lot of points on stage2. I wouldn't be surprised if most players were around 1mil under T3-KAMUI's score on the DVD after that section because of it.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Icarus wrote:Its a bit of a pain for Gain players as dropping a lot of Weapons on the flamingoes is key to scoring a lot of points on stage2. I wouldn't be surprised if most players were around 1mil under T3-KAMUI's score on the DVD after that section because of it.
Yeah, like with a lot of stuff in Raizing games, luck and randomity plays a major factor. (I'm surprised people here don't bitch about that more than the rank especially w/ Bakraid and Ibara) I'm guessing players that really tried to squeeze the most points from Garegga did a lot of restarts right after the all-important flamingo section if they got stuck with a lower score here. Notice the pink color and bird poop all over the DVD packaging. :wink:
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Rastan78 wrote:Yeah, like with a lot of stuff in Raizing games, luck and randomity plays a major factor. (I'm surprised people here don't bitch about that more than the rank especially w/ Bakraid and Ibara) I'm guessing players that really tried to squeeze the most points from Garegga did a lot of restarts right after the all-important flamingo section if they got stuck with a lower score here.
It is a problem, but I reckon Raizing games are freeform enough to enable you to adapt. Well, aside from the rigidity of Bakraid and Great Mahou's systems, of course.

While the optimal strategy is getting over 3mil off the flamingoes, I reckon most players can still manage with around 2mil. All you'd need to do is to hoard up to a full Weapon for use against MadBall instead of doing the half-Weapon-suicide trick that KAMUI does on the DVD.
Rastan78 wrote:Notice the pink color and bird poop all over the DVD packaging. :wink:
You know, I never really noticed that. Always thought hot pink was an odd packaging colour choice for a gritty game like Garegga. ^_-
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Rastan78 wrote: Notice the pink color and bird poop all over the DVD packaging. :wink:
scan plz
unban shw
zinger

Post by zinger »

Geez, that sucks. :?
SOUNDSHOCK
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

My query is pretty basic although maybe had I dug more thoroughly I might have located it instead.
It's regarding ship selection, specifically to advantages of using any ship with a given button input. Furthermore, what buttons do what.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Limbrooke wrote:My query is pretty basic although maybe had I dug more thoroughly I might have located it instead.
It's regarding ship selection, specifically to advantages of using any ship with a given button input. Furthermore, what buttons do what.
Yeah, haven't got round to doing ship info yet.
RE: your question -

A (Shot) = default ship
B (Weapon) = faster speed (about 15-20%)
C (Option) = smaller hitbox
ABC = faster speed and smaller hitbox

Obviously you want to use a type that compliments your playing style and the ship you are selecting. If you are using Gain for example, there is no point in using the B type if you are unable to handle the movement speed of the ship (and Gain is pretty nippy already). Picking C type would be a much better choice for faster ships like Gain and Miyamoto.

Consequently, some ships benefit from the ABC type. I have a preference to Bornnam (ABC) for both the small hitbox and the increased speed. The Golden Bat (Wild Snail-ABC) is the mst frequently used ship in the game.