Ghost Blade HD (PS4, Xbox One, Wii U and Steam)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
PepsimanVsJoe

Re: Ghost Blade HD (PS4, Xbox One, Wii U and Steam)

Post by PepsimanVsJoe »

I wrote a review for the PS4 version in case anyone is interested.
http://www.cubed3.com/review/3618/1/gho ... ion-4.html
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Puyopuyomayo wrote:Do shmups ever come at higher FPS rate? Like I have a 144hz monitor...
The face was regarding the fact that it's an advertisement point.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Better FPS than a CAVE game :lol:
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

trap15 wrote:
Puyopuyomayo wrote:Do shmups ever come at higher FPS rate? Like I have a 144hz monitor...
The face was regarding the fact that it's an advertisement point.
After what happened with the original DC version and its framerate, I'd pimp it's being much smoother as well.
DomitorInvictus

Post by DomitorInvictus »

Good news that it runs smoother.

Anyone whose played it, have they fixed the other problems? Still looks a bit easy but I can't complain about that.

Thinking of getting the Steam version when it is released.
amdiggywhut

Post by amdiggywhut »

Bought it yesterday night. Only played a couple credits but it sort of reminds me of Bullet Soul. Not sure how that makes me feel.
trivial

Post by trivial »

Puyopuyomayo wrote:
KAI wrote:
60 FPS

Do shmups ever come at higher FPS rate? Like I have a 144hz monitor...
This is actually a good question. In my experience, only PC euroshmups are sometimes coded to have game-clock ticks independent of in-game refresh rate, if that makes any sense. There would be some advantages in terms of reading bullet patterns, for sure, but I only do that at all well with verts anyway.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Sat down and wrote a review for steam, if anyone's interested in doing a bit of reading...

http://steamcommunity.com/id/thecoopx/r ... ed/577910/
Austin

Post by Austin »

I picked this up last week and clocked a little bit of time into it. It seems alright for the price. Would be more enjoyable if there weren't so many damn pickups on the screen--it's much harder to see what's actually happening than your typical bullet hell. I understand the gold stars, but the blue crystals are overkill and should have been chopped out. The whole thing is cluttered as a result and this isn't helped by the fact that bullets themselves aren't distinct enough to be picked out easily from several backgrounds (for instance, pink bullets on top of pink-ish backgrounds at certain points). I can't complain too much for the price--I'm on the Xbone and it's more fun than Raiden V (and at a fraction of the cost to boot), but that said, I'm glad I didn't pick it up on Dreamcast when it first hit.
Milspex

Post by Milspex »

I've been playing this for a bit but just noticed my shot and focus are both exactly the same . That's not right though is it? I've assigned both to different buttons. Is this some kind of bug?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Milspex wrote:I've been playing this for a bit but just noticed my shot and focus are both exactly the same . That's not right though is it? I've assigned both to different buttons. Is this some kind of bug?
Focus only starts working after the first power up, in case this is how you've tested it.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

Ps4 version; worth every penny...
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

2dvertical wrote:Ps4 version; worth every penny...
Why exactly?
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

Because I did not have it for the dc, its hd, its not another fkn twinstick arena shooter, and to support games like this..No in depth review
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

2dvertical wrote:Because I did not have it for the dc, its hd, its not another fkn twinstick arena shooter, and to support games like this..No in depth review
no
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

Que? :roll:
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

I will not spend a dime on another product by hucast.
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

Kollision wrote:I will not spend a dime on another product by hucast.
Come one now, let's have the full skinny!
I'm starting to get convinced by all the coverage/videos of this game that I might like it! Tell me what's up with Hucast.
I bought Dux by them years ago, and was disappointed, but I'm willing to give them another try.
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Hucast actually goes through the effort of fixing their games, even if they technically screw you over the first time. Ghost Blade HD seems like a pretty decent little game for $9.99.

I don't know about Redux, might get it though. The Dux games aren't even theirs, I think? Those games seem to be credited more to a KTX (KonTechs) Software.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Best STG I've played in years. Grilled Spadgy for scoring strats and it's surprisingly nuanced. If you guys are avoiding it out of principle, you're really missing out...
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Curious about scoring, can I get a primer? Just seems like a lenient DDP so far. What's the difference between "Stage Stars" and "Gold", why are there small and large Tech Orbs, etc?

Stage 2 on Easy is a lot harder and a lot longer than I was expecting a stage 2 on Easy to be. I heard this game had longer stages than usual, but I wasn't expecting this.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

From what I can tell, scoring is basically:

Point Blanking large, bullet-cancelling enemies to get more stars (and a little chime if you do it right), and

Combo meter, which is even more than a lenient DDP, since its not even a chain, it just tracks enemies killed on that stage, and resets either when you die or on each stage.

And of course the usual end of stage bonuses.

Not sure yet the difference between Gold and Stars. I know there are 15 of those really big gold things, and they are in the same spot every time, and don't seem to appear at the end screen. Also not sure on the orb size, all I know is they fill the bomb meter.

Stages 2 and 4 in particular feel so long. Luckily, Stage 5 is nice and short.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

The combo also starts to depreciate when you haven't destroyed anything in a while.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Huh, I guess it is just really lenient then, or there are too many enemies for it to matter much. I'm guessing its impossible to completely drop aside from dying though?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Some bosses can be milked too, but there's a timer, so not stupid milk fest style. As you get bonus for the bomb stock, you can milk some bosses for crystals, that builds bombs. Use focus on everything and get big bomb bonuses. ;)
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
clippa

Post by clippa »

Kollision wrote:no
Kollision wrote:I will not spend a dime on another product by hucast.
Kollision wrote:no
You're missing out. It does feel like a budget title with the lack of animation, the "that'll do" bosses and bullet patterns and so on but they put the effort in where it counts. It's just so much fun to play and score in. It's worth 7 quid of anyone's money.
jdollatari

Post by jdollatari »

grabbed it on xbox one put a few rounds in it myself and then with a buddy its fun and well worth the asking price glad i held off on the dreamcast version
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

So I noticed something trying out TATE mode for the first time

It seems you get a full 16:9 playable window in TATE whereas in Yoko you're restriced to 4:3 (or 3:4 rather)

while I appreciate actually have a full 16:9 vertical game, it does make me wonder about game and score balancing with the additional area added