DoDonPachi Resurrection - Steam Edition

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Bananamatic

Re: DoDonPachi Resurrection - Steam Edition

Post by Bananamatic »

STGAlmond wrote: Hasn't the other CAVE ports had the same issues at launch that they had on xbox360? Based on that what could we expect from DFK at launch?
input lag and arrange A crashing if you press too many buttons at once
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

STGAlmond wrote: Hasn't the other CAVE ports had the same issues at launch that they had on xbox360? Based on that what could we expect from DFK at launch?
heres the breakdown on deathsmiles

360 jp: arcade, 1.1 and MBL 1.1 are fine; MBL arcade is fine on all regular stages but lacks slowdown on ice palace, MBL 360 lacks slowdown on all regular stages but does have it on ice palace
360 pal: same as jp
360 us: at first all modes lacked all slowdown, it was eventually patched to be as identical as the above

also im not buying into cave with this internal clock bs or w/e
trap15

Post by trap15 »

If that "internal timer" thing is correct, then realize this: all the 360 ports simulate slowdown by managing to overload the 360 itself. Sure do love dat electricity bill :o
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Zen wrote:1. Aren't you the dude thats gets banned from his own threads?
Yes. Yes, he is.
STG4WD

Post by STG4WD »

Icarus wrote:Yes. Yes, he is.

Why aye, when there are sufficient grounds.
#STG4WD>>
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

trap15 wrote:If that "internal timer" thing is correct, then realize this: all the 360 ports simulate slowdown by managing to overload the 360 itself. Sure do love dat electricity bill :o
one of my 360s actually froze once while running esp2 arrange

also kinda disappointed they're putting the game out as DDP Resurrection instead of DFK
meanwhile Mushihimesama didn't release as Bug Princess

what are these inconsistencies
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

STG4WD wrote:
Icarus wrote:Yes. Yes, he is.
Why aye, when there are sufficient grounds.
It's pretty cute you think calling me a Geordie is an insult. Adorable, even.
Then again, you'd have to be a retarded Mackem to think that.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Off-topic, but I love it when British people insult each other. I could listen to that all day.
STG4WD wrote: In order to score high and reach the extends you will also need to full-chain without hypering for the majority of each stage.
Ah, I guess by this point Cave had fully shifted to stage-long chains (DOJ stages are fully chainable?). Hopefully there's still enough leeway for scrub-clears. For scrubs like me. :mrgreen:
PepsimanVsJoe

Post by PepsimanVsJoe »

DFK 1.5 is an easy scrub-clear.
Stage 5 gets a little complicated, but between the hyper-cancelling and autobombs, 1-ALLs are a walk in the park.
STG4WD

Post by STG4WD »

Icarus wrote: It's pretty cute you think calling me a Geordie is an insult. Adorable, even.
Dude I think it's cute that you hound me on this forum like I'm the problem. I assume it was you who just banned me for 5 minutes before wiser heads prevailed?

Back on topic, as a moderator here what do you think we can do to make threads more positive, and help Degica get more people playing the game?
#STG4WD>>
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

STG4WD wrote:
Icarus wrote: It's pretty cute you think calling me a Geordie is an insult. Adorable, even.
Back on topic, as a moderator here what do you think we can do to make threads more positive, and help Degica get more people playing the game?
Well, for starters they can have a bit more QA on their releases. Or nag Cave to properly test their ports.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
Cee
Banned User

Post by Cee »

STG4WD how about you stop trying to police peoples opinions and let free conversation take its course? we owe nothing to degica or cave and should be free to express both positive and negative opinions on the games. If the game and port is good people will buy it it's that simple, no need to force this place into some weird soviet tier echo chamber for pro cave speech only, ya wee fanny.
Last edited by Cee on Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

You can start at not trying to force everyone to like something. Because it doesn't work and makes people hate you.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Funny thing is, I bet if you had started this thread off talking about how shit DFK was, the thread would probably get derailed into a DFK appreciation thread; people don't like being told what to think or do, and will actively do the opposite of what you tell them to do if they feel you're trying to force them.

Alternatively people might go along with it and shit on the game since, well, DFK is kinda meh.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

PepsimanVsJoe wrote:DFK 1.5 is an easy scrub-clear.
Stage 5 gets a little complicated, but between the hyper-cancelling and autobombs, 1-ALLs are a walk in the park.
For a bad player like me, this is good news~ thanks for the info!
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Of all the DDP games why this one? You know...the worst one?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Probably because casuals like it the most because it's overly forgiving and visually very flashy.
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

pegboy wrote:Of all the DDP games why this one?
its the one that officially got the most widespread availabilty thanks to rising star
and its got plenty of arrange modes to fuck around with
pegboy wrote:You know...the worst one?
still gotta respect your opinion cause it's... well your opinion; but how can you tell it's the worst one if you didn't even play it?
and i'm stating that cause both your 1cc list and your score list don't have a single donpachi related game in them
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

So I have to 1cc a game in order to think it sucks? That's awesome logic right there.

This is the least interesting game in the series to me, I just can't get into the art direction they took.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

EmperorIng wrote:
PepsimanVsJoe wrote:DFK 1.5 is an easy scrub-clear.
For a bad player like me, this is good news~ thanks for the info!
DFK 1.5 is by far the easiest 1-ALL of the DDP games, thanks in large part to how forgiving the autobomb system is. It's hard not to make it to at least stage 4. The laser wheels in stage 5 are the biggest hurdle but you pay attention there and maybe use a couple non-auto bombs (which last longer than autobombs) you can pull through without having to really learn to deal with them "properly." In fact you don't have to very solidly learn any stage or how any bullet pattern works if you just want a 1-ALL. I don't remember having any issue reaching the extends either even though I just mindlessly fired and used hypers whenever I got them. It's been a while, though, so maybe I didn't reach both score extends but cleared anyway. There's so many autobombs it's easy to lose count. It's harder than clearing Mecha Ritz, but not by much.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
phase3

Post by phase3 »

trap15 wrote:Probably because casuals like it the most because it's overly forgiving and visually very flashy.
At the game center in my local area I've noticed DFK gets the most play out of all the available shmups, which admittedly, usually isn't that many. My theory has always been that it's because it looks like you're playing a difficult and complex game to onlookers, even if you're playing sloppily and have no idea what you're doing. I'm glad people even play these games in the first place, so it's not like I mind it too much, however it does worry me a bit that getting used to and expecting the easier difficulty found in a game like this will turn potential players off spending time with more challenging games and cause the arcade to keep even less STGs on play. I could be totally off on this, but it's a theory of mine nonetheless.

Personally, the style is what turns me off of this one. I find that many of the later high-res Cave titles don't hold up nearly as well as the earlier stuff, at least in terms of the aesthetic. The school girl thing is a bit of a drag as well. I greatly prefer "WOW! TAKE A LOOK AT THAT BATTLESHIP! KEEP YOU FINGER ON THE TRIGGER, ROOKIE! THIS IS IT… ENEMY HEADQUARTERS… LET'S BLOW IT AND GET OUTTA' HERE."
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

I for one will pick it up to see how it compares to PCB and 360 versions. I'll call out any inaccuracies for science.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

trap15 wrote:Probably because casuals like it the most because it's overly forgiving and visually very flashy.
It's our Mahvel.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Emuser wrote:I for one will pick it up to see how it compares to PCB and 360 versions. I'll call out any inaccuracies for science.

Though that raises the question of if/when they're going to do beta testing, and with whom. What's the latest on that?
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Kiken wrote:
It's our Mahvel.
That's Marvel 3.

The true Mahvel (Mvc2) is more comparable to Garegga in terms of accessibility.

RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Shepardus wrote:
Emuser wrote:I for one will pick it up to see how it compares to PCB and 360 versions. I'll call out any inaccuracies for science.

Though that raises the question of if/when they're going to do beta testing, and with whom. What's the latest on that?
Hopefully it will be like DBCS beta where the feedback DID translate into proper fixes.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
STG4WD

Post by STG4WD »

Cee wrote:STG4WD how about you stop trying to police peoples opinions and let free conversation take its course? we owe nothing to degica or cave and should be free to express both positive and negative opinions on the games.
See this is where I disagree.

If you look at more successful game genres, the blogs attached to them realise that they have a stake in the success of the games.

There is a symbiotic relationship between developers and the communities that play their games, and sites like this are supposed to mediate that relationship.

Degica have been keeping up their side of the bargain on this forum.

The problem round here is that there is a total lack of editorial control when it comes to keeping up our side of the bargain. When someone starts a thread like this which is supposed to be for people who enjoy the game, there should be a clear, enforced rule that if you haven't got anything constructive to add then you go elsewhere.

It really comes back to my question of 'what is this forum for'? I think it would benefit the community if there was a blog attached to the forum*, where comments below the line have less impact on the overall editorial tone of the site. Because if this place is as good as it gets for the English-speaking shmup community, then the genre won't be going anywhere any time soon.

*And a dedicated URL. The fact that this place is a sub-domain of another site is pretty lame.
#STG4WD>>
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Forum is for discussion, not advertisement.

If you want to be an e-cheerleader, that's cool, but don't drag me into it. I'm sure as hell not putting on a skirt outside of the bedroom.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

STG4WD wrote:There is a symbiotic relationship between developers and the communities that play their games, and sites like this are supposed to mediate that relationship.

Degica have been keeping up their side of the bargain on this forum.
Degica is a publisher, not a developer. Degica has been great to us and we're pretty happy with them and we love them for the work they've done. We've had nothing but good things to say about Crimzon Clover and DBCS and really any of the doujin stuff they've put out, for example, because Degica and the developers delivered great games in an outstanding fashion and with great service. Cave is a developer who the forum generally loves but is clearly just milking its old IPs at this point - ports of ports being handled by teams who don't seem to have a good understanding of or respect for the games they're delivering and that isn't going to go unnoticed. They've never been stellar at ports, but the state Deathsmiles was released in would be a new low if they hadn't literally made that mistake before.

If you want a sunshine and unicorns blog, I suggest making one instead of wandering into the forum few six months to tell us how miserable and counterproductive we're being. Derailing your own threads with demands that the forum grovel at anything that comes along isn't constructive.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

My belief is that it's the community's responsibility to voice their qualms when they're dissatisfied with something. If they just lap up whatever's served to them then developers/publishers are led to believe they're doing fine when they really aren't. The games may be financially successful in the short term if people buy and rave about games they aren't excited about but the developers won't serve their communities as well as they can because they can't gauge what the community likes and doesn't like. You then end up with the sort of stagnation that killed the genre in the first place, as developers struggle to understand why people are leaving when they all say they love the games being produced.

Besides, if I wanted to promote shmups and encourage people to buy and play it, I'd choose my favorite (readily-available) games, such as Crimzon Clover (also published by Degica, for what it's worth), Cho Ren Sha 68k, Mecha Ritz, and Astebreed. Unlike fighting games you don't need an existing active playerbase to get into the game (a chicken-and-egg scenario that plagues many otherwise great multiplayer games) so it's okay if people choose to play different games.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube