STG Weekly: Cave Shmupmania Recap

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
_rm_

Re: STGWeekly #75: Gun Frontier

Post by _rm_ »

STGWeekly wrote:Taito's Gun Frontier episode comin' on Sunday, hopefully at the usual time 2pm cst (8pm utc) but will reconfirm this on Twitter later today.

Leading host is trap15 on this one!

Great, i picked up this game recently but haven't played it yet, can't wait to watch some action from the pro's :D
Jaimers

Post by Jaimers »

Can't wait for 15 minute stage 2 checkpoint milk.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

There'll be two replays, the first one is a no-miss.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
DEL

Post by DEL »

Looking forward to it.
Never did figure out how to 1CC Gun Frontier :? , although we did 1 credit it to the Last Boss on a 2 player run when it was in Las Vegas arcade.
Milspex

Post by Milspex »

This episode really put me on to this game and now I'm hooked

Not to mention the stage 2 soundtrack, wow! Thanks!
Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

Wow I knew this was Yagawa's inspiration but man... he borrowed....lotssss of thing. In a good way i guess, just never realized. I have to find a copy of this game now.

Those long needle like bullets!
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

The Gun Frontier episode was great. Thanks for explaining the version differences on the Saturn. That explains why I was able to clear the Saturn version easily, but got my butt handed to me on the Taito collection version. :lol:

I never knew about any of those scoring secrets either.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
STGWeekly

Re: STGWeekly #76: Star Force

Post by STGWeekly »

Star Force tomorrow (Sunday March 15th @ 2pm CST.

op has been updated with details. Should be fun!
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

Finally had some free time (done with finals, yay!) so figured I'd upload some of the photos from For the Love of Gaming (our Valentine's day charity benefit event a few weeks ago). Apologies for the very belated post; I've been absolutely buried with schoolwork. To put things in perspective, in the last two weeks I have managed to accrue over $350 worth of printing costs (for ONE CLASS ALONE) and at one point was running on 62 hours without sleep, amongst many other more normal all-nighters.

First, the whole group -- from left to right, BrooksBishop, trap15, GDLKscrub, Frenetic, Jelloman581, Softdrink 117, and Joeybeta. Mikehaggar was also in attendance for the first few hours (not pictured).

Had a lot of fun working with everyone for this event; really glad we were able to get such a big crew together!

A few more pics:

trap15 setting up one of our superguns (I believe this is his Garegga board, which sadly didn't work during the event -- I hope he's fixed it since!) -- you can see Mikehaggar playing in the background

trap15's arch nemesis, Progear

GDLKscrub takes a turn at Progear; everyone else watches (intently)

Mikehaggar's hands during a Mr. Driller run -- the intensity! The gripping force! The Battletoads arcade stick!

Huge, huge thanks once again to everyone who watched and donated, it was amazing to be a part of something like this. We're talking with the guy who invited us to this event; it seems likely that we will be traveling to more charity events in the near-ish future, so keep a lookout for more announcements and marathon streams! :D
1CC List | youtube | twitch
I love Ibara.
Milspex

Post by Milspex »

will you be doing reprints of the t-shirts anytime soon?
STGWeekly

Re: STGWeekly Easter Egg episode Sun April 5th 12 noon CST

Post by STGWeekly »

STGWeekly will return this coming Sunday with an episode on easter eggs--hidden things in shmups!
waiwainl

Re: STGWeekly Easter Egg episode Sun April 5th 12 noon CST

Post by waiwainl »

Nice :-)
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

I wanted to let people know that Frenetic and I will make several important announcements during tomorrow's episode!
Milspex wrote:will you be doing reprints of the t-shirts anytime soon?
Sorry for the late reply -- only just noticed this!

Yes, we will be doing reprints soon. Currently doing some research on the best way to handle ordering, since we got very few orders last time (and I think our method was partly to blame). More info will be posted when we have something solidified!
I love Ibara.
Softdrink 117

Re: STG Weekly past episodes thread

Post by Softdrink 117 »

Finally managed to get some event photos from Ghosting.tv Volume 15, which we attended on March 7th!

The event itself is an art and animation exhibition and party in downtown LA; we were contacted by LA Gamespace and invited to do some live demos of play. Specifically, they were interested in a public demonstration of the differences between high level and beginner play in shooting games. Using two side-by-side projectors, we had one demo player and one volunteer from the audience playing simultaneously at several games throughout the course of the night. These pictures were mostly taken later, during the free play section at the end of the event.

Huge thanks to Joeybeta for coming out to help us once again, and to LA Gamespace and Ghosting.tv for their gracious invitation. It was really interesting to be a part of an event like this -- very different from the gaming crowd that we're more familiar with. We had a great time, and would definitely be up for doing something like this again.

An overview of one of the Expert/Novice demos -- Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Black Label. I was playing on the right-hand projection. This was pretty interesting for me; I hadn't played DFK in many months prior, and this event was largely responsible for renewing my interest in the game and its arranges.

Joeybeta and an audience volunteer playing Perfect Cherry Blossom.

We had a pretty big crowd nearby -- not everyone was watching all the time, but people were definitely engaging with it.

Another view of the main projection area. The whole surface was about 12-15 feet wide by 9 or 10 feet tall, so we had a pretty big viewing area. It was a dark night, so visibility was excellent.

Me and Joeybeta during free play. This was taken during my DOJBL loop run.

Again, a huge thanks to LA Gamespace (and to our contact Adam Robezzoli) for inviting us to this event, and to the event photographer(s) for sending a couple pictures our way!
I love Ibara.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

That novice/expert comparison looks pretty cool! I'm always a sucker for comparison vids, whether they're between two expert players, an expert and a beginner, or something else entirely.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
mnneurope

Post by mnneurope »

any chance of getting Tatsujin Ō or Batsugun or ESP Ra. De. episodes this season? OR BETTER, ALL OF THEM. YES PLEASE! :D
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Looks like an excellent event. 8)
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

OP updated (or will be momentarily) with details about tomorrow's episode.

METAL BLACK

2PM CST (normal broadcast time)
Guests: BIL & T4N3
I love Ibara.
Squire Grooktook

Re: STG Weekly Episode #77: Metal Black

Post by Squire Grooktook »

AWWWWW SHIIIIT

Might not be home for that but I can't wait to see it regardless!
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Thanks for another fun episode guys! Great job on the commentary, T4NE. :smile: (edit: T4N3, rather!)
Last edited by BIL on Mon May 04, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
T4N3

Post by T4N3 »

Likewise BIL, thanks a lot everyone!
Beam Duel is a religion.
Twatter|Soundclown
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

#77 Metal Black is live on Youtube.
We had a nice groove goin' on this one, enjoy all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTwnM_yQ1Yc
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

:x :x :x :x
You did Metal Black without me :!:
Fuck you guys :evil:

Good episode anyways.
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]
Squire Grooktook

Great episode.

Last time I played Metal Black, I went in wanting to use the Beam like a Yagawa Bomb, mashing out short bursts while gathering more particles to recharge, but the restrictiveness of the system made using the beam a little too limited for my tastes. None the less, I love some of the funky enemy patterns and gorgeous atmosphere, setting, and music.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
system11

Post by system11 »

Suggestions for the future:

Viper Phase 1
Vasara 2
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Squire Grooktook

If you guys ever do a Cho Ren Sha 68k video, I'd love to tag along. I'm quite obsessed with the game, and have a fairly high scoring hard mode 1cc (a bit too bomb spammy for showcasing though, imo. You'd probably be better off with Icarus's replay).

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

Squire Grooktook wrote:If you guys ever do a Cho Ren Sha 68k video, I'd love to tag along. I'm quite obsessed with the game, and have a fairly high scoring hard mode 1cc (a bit too bomb spammy for showcasing though, imo. You'd probably be better off with Icarus's replay).
I've recently been really enjoying Cho Ren Sha. I wrote it off when I first heard about it, but the more I play it the more I like it. Really an amazing game. Definitely something that might come up soon. :3
mnneurope wrote:any chance of getting Tatsujin Ō or Batsugun or ESP Ra. De. episodes this season? OR BETTER, ALL OF THEM. YES PLEASE! :D
I'm not familiar with Tatsujin myself, but you're not the first to suggest it. I've been playing ESP Ra. De. a fair bit recently and having some fun with it, so there is definitely some interest here.
I love Ibara.
STGWeekly

Re: STG Weekly Episode #78: Touhou 14 - Double Dealing Chara

Post by STGWeekly »

Bump for TOUHOU episode!
_rm_

Post by _rm_ »

Softdrink 117 wrote:I've been playing ESP Ra. De. a fair bit recently and having some fun with it, so there is definitely some interest here.
Nice 8)
WakiMiko

Re: STG Weekly Episode #78: Touhou 14 - Double Dealing Chara

Post by WakiMiko »

Looking forward to today's episode!