Best engine to create 90's style vertical shmup?

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
lordgalvar

Re: Best engine to create 90's style vertical shmup?

Post by lordgalvar »

SpriteWorld 3 is free and comes with a shooter (though pretty basic); this could be a descent place to start code tweaking and make a basic quick/dirty shooter. SDL is another place to look as it is cross platform.

PERL and php (I've heard) are also good places to get familiar with programming. PERL is surprisingly easy. C isn't too bad either.
TMR

Post by TMR »

lordgalvar wrote:SpriteWorld 3 is free and comes with a shooter (though pretty basic); this could be a descent place to start code tweaking and make a basic quick/dirty shooter.
Sounds fun... where's that, then? =-)
lordgalvar wrote:PERL and php (I've heard) are also good places to get familiar with programming.
[Nods] PHP i can vouch for on that front, i had several goes at C++ a few years back with no luck (all the books just focus on the OOP side of things and i'm "oldschool") but one day i realised that as long as i just carried on abusing arrays like i normally do, what i knew of PHP translated quite well into C++! =-)
lordgalvar

Post by lordgalvar »

SpriteWorld is Mac only (forgot to note that) and is on sourceforge. I learn through being able to see the whole structure and deconstructing as opposed to learning parts sequencially. I also have to have a large project to learn. Anyway, I like looking at open source games to figure out how they work (XPilot is an example). I guess that's why I like SpriteWorld: it comes with lots of examples. I haven't looked too much in PTK from Phelios but it seems like it would work and is cross platform.