The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Radiantsvgun

Re: dead doj white label pcb help

Post by Radiantsvgun »

Kern, wasn't your battery removed? :shock:
kernow

Post by kernow »

Yeah, but its been working for months after doing that.

Going to replace it and see what it does though

*really needs rtw to see this thread*

:wink:
sourdiesel

Post by sourdiesel »

wow another DOJ bites the dust
IronGiant

Post by IronGiant »

Presumably the voltages to the board are okay?

BTW Kernow, I'm user 'arcaders' over at arcadeotaku.com :)
Formerly known here as R-Typer

Arcade game board repairer (known as 'Irongiant' and 'Vectorglow' on other arcade forums)
kernow

Post by kernow »

Yeah, I have altered my PSU voltages since last playing this game, but they are at sensible defaults (5+12). I very much doubt anything there caused it. I re-soldered the battery on last night and it didn't make a difference, tried resetting the NVRAM with the switch etc, it makes no difference if this game runs with a battery or not, as we well know.

Sourdiesel, whats the story with yours? Have you talked about that guy regarding sending it back to IGS?

:)
sourdiesel

Post by sourdiesel »

yeah, IGS couldnt fix it, so the guy , alberto1225 , found another DOJ board from his friend and is giving me that one - talk about a first class seller. he is also throwing in a new battery if i wanna solder it on ... i may leave it off since i play defualt settings ... i would highly suggest buying anything from alberto1225 if he is selling a pcb u want in the future. this could have been a complete nightmare but its not because of him. imagine ruining a DOJ : BL or a ketsui pcb ? yikes ... stupid battery.
kernow

Post by kernow »

oh boy, looks like I'll be getting it looked at locally then.

fuck

thanks for the info. :)
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

kernow wrote:oh boy, looks like I'll be getting it looked at locally then.

fuck

thanks for the info. :)
Hope your DDP-DOJ PCB can be fixed, kernow. Such a pity to see another one bite the dust right after sourdiesel's. There are bound to be a "few bad apples in every barrel"...this analogy applies to the world of arcade PCBs as well.

I had an ST-V mobo that was bitchy and tempermental at times. Every "once in a blue moon", it would work flawlessly...it was akin to winning the big-time jackpot on a slot machine type of senario though. Most of the time, the ol' ST-V mobo would load up but freeze up at odd times during gameplay and whatnot. So it was back to procuring another ST-V mobo and that second one works flawlessly every time upon being booted up -- the way it should work every time. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
kernow

Post by kernow »

^_~
rtw

Post by rtw »

from your picture it looks like you have a memory error.

give it to R-Typer to check for loose pins, bad traces etc...

is the pcb inside it's box ? is the fan running ?

i'm in an area with very limited inet access.
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
kernow

Post by kernow »

PCB is inside box, fan is running fine, its never been run out of the box, but taken out a few times when I noticed the battery was going bad, so I removed it. I am probably taking it to IC09 so one of the techie types can take a quick look at it there, but arcaders has offered to have a look at it also to see if there is any damage. Quite odd how it worked a month ago and now this, and its been in the case all that time.

Bizarre.

I have the board out of the case now just for looking at it, if I push down on some of the chips, socketed or otherwise, and flex the board a tiny, tiny amount (lightly, I'm not a retard), I can get it to show a different symptom.

a) The garbled screen with the 'memory error' text I originally showed a pic of.
b) A completely garbled screen with no text at all
c) a completely black screen, nothing displayed.

So it does seem its some kind of connection / breakage but quite how that happened when the board has been carefully stored , in its metal case, is beyond me.
cools

Post by cools »

Mine is back from repair now. It looks like all they've done is clean the board and change the 20Mhz oscillator (OSC4). Will test once I've got a cab back up and running. Dead easy fix though if that's all that's going wrong with them.
rtw

Post by rtw »

cools wrote:Mine is back from repair now. It looks like all they've done is clean the board and change the 20Mhz oscillator (OSC4). Will test once I've got a cab back up and running. Dead easy fix though if that's all that's going wrong with them.
Who did the repairs ?
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

rtw wrote:Who did the repairs ?
CAVE did. 8)
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
cools

Post by cools »

CAVE via Fujita, yes. I didn't want to end up wasting money on attempted fixes.
kernow

Post by kernow »

cools wrote:CAVE via Fujita, yes. I didn't want to end up wasting money on attempted fixes.
:o
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

cools wrote:Mine is back from repair now. It looks like all they've done is clean the board and change the 20Mhz oscillator (OSC4). Will test once I've got a cab back up and running. Dead easy fix though if that's all that's going wrong with them.
Thats the oscillator next to the battery, so again I think this points to a battery leak. Even though I know you got it with a good/new looking battery, you don't know if/when it was replaced.

Also I have possibly the oldest DDPDOJ board here (serial number 0014), and my battery leaked before everyone elses causing problems with player 2 bomb button. If there was a common oscillator fault, I would have seen it by now.
cools

Post by cools »

You could be right - if the battery leaked and the crap got under the oscillator it'd be all but impossible to see if any damage was occurring.
kernow

Post by kernow »

Dave_K. wrote:
Thats the oscillator next to the battery, so again I think this points to a battery leak. Even though I know you got it with a good/new looking battery, you don't know if/when it was replaced.

Also I have possibly the oldest DDPDOJ board here (serial number 0014), and my battery leaked before everyone elses causing problems with player 2 bomb button. If there was a common oscillator fault, I would have seen it by now.
Mine had a 2 player UP fault, and then just took a massive shit and died completely. :)