Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
xxx1993

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by xxx1993 »

If Raiden V had Japanese voice acting, who do you think would be the seiyuus? I could imagine someone like Toshiyuki Morikawa voicing Max.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Bob from Donpachi
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
horaceappleton

Post by horaceappleton »

Anybody have information or insight on manipulating the popcorn enemies in ESPgaluda? The tanks, flying pods, and fast-moving planes all seem to aim very roughly, and it's difficult to manage them, or even stream them safely.
peter007

Post by peter007 »

I'd recommend Thunder Dragon 2 too
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Does Raiden V freeze up on any of you occasionally? It happened to me right now.
SapphireDensetsu

Post by SapphireDensetsu »

Is there anyone that still has a copy of STELLAVANITY 0.22? A Japanese friend of mine is wondering if anyone does...
HalfCent

Post by HalfCent »

Does anyone have recommendations on short length games? I sometimes like to play a few short runs rather than a longer run when I have a bit of free time. I've been using score attack / caravan modes, but what something a bit longer than the 5 minute ish lengths they are. Are there any decent games that have full clear times of maybe 10-15 minutes?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Most Psikyo games have a one-loop clear time around that long. Gradius 1 is also about 15 minutes per loop. Fairy Wars is about that long too, unless you're milking for score (which about doubles the length). Same with all Touhou extra stages. Armed Police Batrider's Normal Course is also pretty short but can be extended through milking. Battle Bakraid's Normal Course is about the same length as Batrider's but without the milking.
Last edited by Shepardus on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

HalfCent wrote: Are there any decent games that have full clear times of maybe 10-15 minutes?
A 1-ALL of Storm Blade will cost you about 11 to 11.5 minutes, so that might fit your requirement.
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
HalfCent

Post by HalfCent »

Thanks for the suggestions! I tried some Psikyo games when I was first getting into shooters, and couldn't really find one that I liked. I didn't hate them, just no love. Sounds like now is a good time to try some again, now that I have a little more experience.

Storm blade looks interesting as well, enough to give it a chance. Thanks!
The Armchair General

Post by The Armchair General »

Do any of guys know how to disable MAME's ability to cancel conflicting inputs (i.e. make it so MAME doesn't cancel out inputs when both the left and right arrow keys are held down)? I'm asking because a certain legal DP trick is done by using both left and right inputs simultaneously.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Asked in MAME IRC and someone found an option for it: -joystick_contradictoryenable
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
The Armchair General

Post by The Armchair General »

I changed the 0 in the line "joystick_contradictory 0" to a 1 and it works perfectly. Thanks.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

I have 568 yen on my ntsc-j PSN. Anyone have any suggestions on something worth grabbing for around that price? PS4 or PS3 is all good.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

DoomsDave wrote:I have 568 yen on my ntsc-j PSN. Anyone have any suggestions on something worth grabbing for around that price? PS4 or PS3 is all good.
Was going to suggest Harmful Park or Einhander, but I checked and they're both 617 yen :/
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
dreadnought

Post by dreadnought »

I`m trying to play Ikaruga on a modded PAL Wii via Nintendont. The console is connected to a PAL CRT TV via SCART RGB cable. Everything is fine apart from the fact that enemies and my ship move with certain regular stutter, as if missing a frame.

It`s a PAL version (NTSC results in "red tint" flaw which goes with the whole RGB - NTSC thing) and I tried different settings, like forcing PAL50 and PAL60 in Nintendont`s options - to no avail.

Was wondering if anybody encountered this problem before and/or can think of a possible solution.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Futari God:

Why is the Stage 1 boss harder when selecting it in practice, than it is in a full run (or even a full stage run in practice)? Does this happen with every boss? Is there any way to fix this, or can I only practice bosses by playing through the stage first?
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

guys

u played Nier Automata ? if yes..the begening was amazing Shmup level
is there any great shumps games similar?

and i hope u guys list me some awesome great shmups (cyborg/wierd/giant bosses)
but plz NOT jamestown or similar..hate that
guigui

Post by guigui »

kaicooper wrote:guys

u played Nier Automata ? if yes..the begening was amazing Shmup level
is there any great shumps games similar?

and i hope u guys list me some awesome great shmups (cyborg/wierd/giant bosses)
but plz NOT jamestown or similar..hate that
Sin & Punishment 2 is rail shooter, lots of giant bosses, feels much more shmuppy than Nier.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

^^ no i mean just similar to first Nier Level..shmup level..not the whole game
somthing similar to Astebreed
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Anyone knows the title of the music track right at the beginning of Zone of the Enders 2, from when Jehuty pops out of his coffin and you begin playing ?
(starts with the dramatic violins, goes 'boom!', then repetitive drums)

I can't seem to find any info about it, and it's neither in the official OST nor fanmade rips either, afaik...
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

I presumed the problem solved, but I just had the first Thunder Cross freezing on me again. I've tried a few versions of the game (thunderx, thunderxj) as well as a handful of MAME builds (such as shmupMAME 4.2 and MAME Plus 0.168), it always happens after a while. Typically not in the first couple of loops, but starting with the third loop, it becomes more and more likely. It will happen after you defeat a boss (except for the final boss), whereupon the game initiates the landing sequence on the mother ship in the background. Once that one moves out of the screen and just before the transition for the next stage happens, the game hangs up, with no way to proceed. I even found out that this process is somewhat predetermined, I have a savestate before a boss here and regardless of how long it takes to defeat it, the game will always freeze. You can sometimes prevent this by fast-forwarding in a specific way, but even that oftentimes fails.

Does anyone know what causes this problem in the first place and how to circumvent it? Or perhaps a specific combination of one version of the game and a MAME build where this does not happen?
Marc

Post by Marc »

Anyone k ow what the four modes on PS4 Thunder Cross are? Jpn and overseas I guess, but there's an old and new version as well?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

I believe the new version is supposed to be more difficult, and judging from our Hall of Records thread I would also assume that it doesn't loop forever, but I haven't tested it out myself.
Marc

Post by Marc »

It's been many years since I played it, I'm guessing the version that starts on a forest level and allows you to adjust the options is the Japanese, the one that starts in a city and has smart bombs is US? Oh, and that soundtrack...
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Yes, that would be correct. You should also start the US version with two options already whereas in the Japanese version, you don't have any of them whatsoever.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Thanks. 8 take it the JPN version is the way to go?
Dirty Casual

Post by Dirty Casual »

Is there any concensus on DotEmu's R-Type? I'm using an Amazon Fire Stick, and there's hefty lag. On one hand, I'm just using the pack-in remote, not a dedicated controller; on the other, I know DotEmu has a reputation. Thanks much for any info!
davyK

Post by davyK »

dreadnought wrote:I`m trying to play Ikaruga on a modded PAL Wii via Nintendont. The console is connected to a PAL CRT TV via SCART RGB cable. Everything is fine apart from the fact that enemies and my ship move with certain regular stutter, as if missing a frame.

It`s a PAL version (NTSC results in "red tint" flaw which goes with the whole RGB - NTSC thing) and I tried different settings, like forcing PAL50 and PAL60 in Nintendont`s options - to no avail.

Was wondering if anybody encountered this problem before and/or can think of a possible solution.

The PAL version of GC Ikaruga is a hatchet job. It skips frames to run at 50Hz. You are likely detecting this.

The US version will run on an unmodded PAL Wii with a Freeloader. If using the component cables it will run in 480p - just hold down the B button when the game is loading and you will get the option to run at 480p.
Phaegendra

Post by Phaegendra »

I have a question about Dodonpachi Daioujou.

I watched the STG Weekly video on the game and at the Death Label segment people were mentioning that there have been others who have cleared it. I have been trying to find videos if there are any of them, but I haven't found anything.
Does anyone know anything more about these? I'd like to see more on Death Label and I've already watched everything on YouTube.