DoDonPachi Resurrection - Steam Edition

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
AxelMill

Re: DoDonPachi Resurrection - Steam Edition

Post by AxelMill »

Van_Artic wrote: FEATURING THE VIC VIPER FROM THE GRADIUS SERIES!!!11!
Gradius is so last century, how about "Featuring Bullets from the Touhou series"?
Yeah, that's better.
ZacharyB wrote: This reminds me of a stage in an obscure shmup called Metamor Jupiter. If you want to see a drama shmup, check that out on YouTube.
Ew, 75-minute-long video with VA I don't understand. I skimmed through a 9-part playthrough of it, and while I didn't find the thing you quoted, I did find huge lasers destroying a canyon. Too bad it was a canyon. "Oh no, don't kill Rock, Rock is my best friend!"
STGAlmond

Post by STGAlmond »

Looks like the date was announced on cave twitter as the 14th.

https://twitter.com/cavegames/status/781676624773283840
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

I've just finished (read:game-over-ed) my latest playthrough of DFK1.5, after so long, this time going with C-Strong.
For the the first time, I didn't lose at the very beginning of stage 5. I died to the laser part. And the laser part, as I was told, is really fucking bullshit. "Yeah, let's have waves of rotating indestructible objects that shoot lasers and sometimes bullets, and let's make them appear from any corner of the screen without any kind of warning whatsoever, that sure will challenge players, and beginners for which we forced autobombing to ease them in this genre will love it."
I am no expert, but I am pretty sure that's shit game design. And don't tell me to memorize it, because I have no way to. It's not like I can use the background to understand "when" I am into the stage, because 95% of it is littered with enemies, bullets and those stupid laser-vomiting fuckers. And to replay that part in Training, I have to fight the first midboss, then a minute of enemies before they appear, despite the stages being divided into "areas" for scoring purposes.
The music's nice, though. Really nice. I didn't know it was this nice. Lowering the SE volume really helps.
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

the music is prolly one of the best next to DOJ

my two cents on the stage 5 lasers:

they're easy as fuck imo, they do have a pre-warning before firing, its really quick, but really all you need to do is hold laser and position yourself properly

after a couple tries it becomes very easy to figure out how they interact between the other enemies beneath them
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

Van_Artic wrote:the music is prolly one of the best next to DOJ
And stage 5 contains some notes from DOJ's "main theme", coincidentally.
Personally I prefer SDOJ over that, because I only love stage 1 and 5 from the latter. Meanwhile, I love all of SDOJ's tracks. Even the boss theme, which gets so much undeserved flack.
Van_Artic wrote: my two cents on the stage 5 lasers:

they're easy as fuck imo, they do have a pre-warning before firing, its really quick, but really all you need to do is hold laser and position yourself properly

after a couple tries it becomes very easy to figure out how they interact between the other enemies beneath them
After ranting, I watched one of the most high-scoring replays (to see how I'm supposed to dodge them), and found out that bombing and point-blanking (or flying into, like I did later) bosses is a much, much easier and faster way to kill them than trying to dodge and autobombing anyway. Heck, against the stage 4 boss (who I like to call basketball girl, sorry for these stupid parentheses), I'll probably waste less bombs this way.
What I'm saying is, wasting less bombs means having more of them for stage 5 and being able to make more mistakes. Ta-dah, maybe I'll reach the second midboss at some point.

As for the "pre-warming" you mentioned, the lasers aren't the problem (though I might have made you believe so by how I wrote about the lasers), mostly, but those things appearing out of nowhere and raping me. The part where you fly backwards and they appear at the bottom from both corners is especially frustrating.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

The lasers are only like 10% of the danger there - they prevent you from going into shot and making quick movements, but the real problem is that the objects firing them restrict your dodging and protect the enemies doing the shooting (while not blocking any of their bullets). They're one of the only examples of environmental hazards in Cave's vertical games and that throws a lot of people off. They require a more precise routing than most of the game, unless you're going for score - I generally have a plan for how I move through the stages, but it's a lot looser than what the laser rings require.

They're totally doable - just a bit out of place with the rest of the game. They're a neat thing, though, and stage 5 wouldn't be the same without them.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

AxelMill wrote:
Van_Artic wrote:the music is prolly one of the best next to DOJ
And stage 5 contains some notes from DOJ's "main theme", coincidentally.
A minor thing, but I only recently discovered how DOJ's main motif is a remix of DonPachi's stage 1 BGM. Talk about a callback!
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

EmperorIng wrote:
AxelMill wrote: And stage 5 contains some notes from DOJ's "main theme", coincidentally.
A minor thing, but I only recently discovered how DOJ's main motif is a remix of DonPachi's stage 1 BGM. Talk about a callback!
i could stay here and point out all the specific musical references but that would take days
the whole series' music is a nod to itself, SDOJ does this too
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

I learned the laser wheels on PCB and random videos before the 360 port :<
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Steam Page says October 13th is the release date.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/464450/
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Tokyo-J wrote:Steam Page says October 13th is the release date.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/464450/
Must be a timezone difference on your end, it still says October 14th to me.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Tim James

Post by Tim James »

Do I even want to know what that girl is holding with her lips?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Tim James wrote:Do I even want to know what that girl is holding with her lips?
A hair tie?
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

Tim James wrote:Do I even want to know what that girl is holding with her lips?
you'd be able to tell by yourself if you'd actually click the screenshot and zoom in!!
Spoiler
and no its not a condom, i could easily photoshop one in if i really wanted tho
ulti

Post by ulti »

Hoping that this trend continues and eventually more Cave titles get ported more often, I'm sure there are a lot of people who'd gladly pay instead of emulating for a lot of their big name games.
Honestly, If DOJ was on Steam I would pay 60 bucks for it if I had to.
Dinjoralo

Post by Dinjoralo »

Man, friday can't get here soon enough! More new shmups for me to try out is always a good thing.

... Man, there's a surprising amount of negativity going on here. Or is that just me?
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

Dinjoralo wrote:... Man, there's a surprising amount of negativity going on here. Or is that just me?
being that it already exists on 360 and its one of the more controversial cave titles for having very unconventional mechanics compared to the rest of the series, yes not many are looking forward to it
Ako

Post by Ako »

dfk isn't even fun smdh
Chacranajxy

Post by Chacranajxy »

Eh, DFK is alright. It was the first Cave 1CC I got, so that was cool. But I think a lot of the appeal was just the spectacle -- there's lots of exploding shit and colors.
G3n3raL86

Post by G3n3raL86 »

I'm hoping that with its Steam release, Cave will drop the price for all of their shmups, so hopefully i'll get this and Mushihimesama together.
Aldnox

Post by Aldnox »

To be honest, I would've preferred DOJ or SDOJ. DFK isn't that great in my opinion.
ulti wrote:Honestly, If DOJ was on Steam I would pay 60 bucks for it if I had to.
This is what I mean.
Chacranajxy

Post by Chacranajxy »

Aldnox wrote:To be honest, I would've preferred DOJ or SDOJ. DFK isn't that great in my opinion.
ulti wrote:Honestly, If DOJ was on Steam I would pay 60 bucks for it if I had to.
This is what I mean.
I just want a decent home release of straight up DDP.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Protip: start bundling SHMUPs

I know that'll require a lot more work in porting, but EIGHT MODES for DFK is good advertisement and brings the impression that you'll get bang for your buck for a genre where most newcomers just pump and dump a creditfeed play, while most other CAVE console releases simply don't have that many content. CAVE already released Pink Sweets and Muchi Muchi Pork as a double-pack for the 360, and considering most other SHMUPs in CAVE's library which haven't been ported yet aren't that popular outside here, you could make the deal more appealing with DOJ+Ketsui/DonPachi+DDP/Guwange+Dangun Feveron/Muchi Muchi Pork+Pink Sweets/Ibara+Espgaluda offers
Xyga wrote:
ulti

Post by ulti »

Chacranajxy wrote:I just want a decent home release of straight up DDP.
You know, this gets me thinking. Why are non-AAA/indie JP devs so hesistant to make their games more accessable to the western crowd? Think about it:
The biggest, easiest, and possibly most profitable move that I could think of a JP indie dev making would be ZUN putting all Windows Touhous on Steam. There's no porting necessary, there is already a demand for all of these games, and it would allow the west to easily access the games without having to pirate them, lest they feel like paying 30-50 bucks for a single game with a few weeks of shipping.
There's porting needed for arcade devs like Cave, but there's still a demand for a lot of their games and a lack of accessibility. The games are already made, so why not make some profit and make your fans happy?
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

ulti wrote:
You know, this gets me thinking. Why are non-AAA/indie JP devs so hesistant to make their games more accessable to the western crowd? Think about it:
The biggest, easiest, and possibly most profitable move that I could think of a JP indie dev making would be ZUN putting all Windows Touhous on Steam. There's no porting necessary, there is already a demand for all of these games, and it would allow the west to easily access the games without having to pirate them, lest they feel like paying 30-50 bucks for a single game with a few weeks of shipping.
There's porting needed for arcade devs like Cave, but there's still a demand for a lot of their games and a lack of accessibility. The games are already made, so why not make some profit and make your fans happy?
Piracy and the fact most don't really care about what the gaijin like.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Glick

Post by Glick »

ulti wrote:

Most of the replies you'll get are going to be along the lines of "JP don't care about Gaijins" or whatever. There's probably a bit of truth there, but it's actually a lot more complicated than that.

Branding and support are the key problems here. If you want to be successful and not essentially poison the well for future releases, there's really no such thing as "no effort/porting necessary". Even though your target audience may just be hardcore shmup fans, you'll still need to make sure that the game works by default on Win 7/8/10 in EN mode with no issues. You'll need some sort of basic manual, some advertising copy, and some people willing to run tech support. Even if there's nothing wrong with your game at all on any platform, people will mess things up and you'll need tech support.

To make matters worse, games journalism is extremely difficult to deal with. Most people do not review games objectively under the assumption that the game targets a certain niche. They review games based on what the general audience of their publication will like. Lots of shmups have been reviewed brutally because of this (shit like "omg Ikaruga only is 40 minutes long").

You might think that none of this matters, but it really does. People refunding your game on pretty much any sales site incurs penalties. Getting consistently bad reviews essentially results in nobody wanting to publish any future game you might want to release in the US. Bad press in general causes people to associate your company with poor quality.

This type of thing even happens to small indies who release super niche games. It sucks, but it's the way of things, and until it changes, there's no such thing as being able to quickly and easily release a niche game in the US. Your best bet is to essentially do a "stealth" release where you find a way to only sell to the niche, but at that point you're making so little money that it's not really worth your time.
NickPalmerDegica

Post by NickPalmerDegica »

Glick wrote:
ulti wrote:

Most of the replies you'll get are going to be along the lines of "JP don't care about Gaijins" or whatever. There's probably a bit of truth there, but it's actually a lot more complicated than that.

Branding and support are the key problems here. If you want to be successful and not essentially poison the well for future releases, there's really no such thing as "no effort/porting necessary". Even though your target audience may just be hardcore shmup fans, you'll still need to make sure that the game works by default on Win 7/8/10 in EN mode with no issues. You'll need some sort of basic manual, some advertising copy, and some people willing to run tech support. Even if there's nothing wrong with your game at all on any platform, people will mess things up and you'll need tech support.

To make matters worse, games journalism is extremely difficult to deal with. Most people do not review games objectively under the assumption that the game targets a certain niche. They review games based on what the general audience of their publication will like. Lots of shmups have been reviewed brutally because of this (shit like "omg Ikaruga only is 40 minutes long").

You might think that none of this matters, but it really does. People refunding your game on pretty much any sales site incurs penalties. Getting consistently bad reviews essentially results in nobody wanting to publish any future game you might want to release in the US. Bad press in general causes people to associate your company with poor quality.

This type of thing even happens to small indies who release super niche games. It sucks, but it's the way of things, and until it changes, there's no such thing as being able to quickly and easily release a niche game in the US. Your best bet is to essentially do a "stealth" release where you find a way to only sell to the niche, but at that point you're making so little money that it's not really worth your time.
Pretty much all of this. Saying "all you have to do is dump them on Steam" kind of ignores how much work it is for people like me and the rest of the crew at Degica :P.
Aldnox

Post by Aldnox »

Glick wrote:To make matters worse, games journalism is extremely difficult to deal with. Most people do not review games objectively under the assumption that the game targets a certain niche. They review games based on what the general audience of their publication will like. Lots of shmups have been reviewed brutally because of this (shit like "omg Ikaruga only is 40 minutes long").
Yeah, that review was painful to read. Clearly that "reviewer" doesn't know that to become proficient at Ikaruga you need to practice for hundreds of hours.
If reviewers don't put effort on the games, why do they review them?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Because they're obligated to.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.