DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Magma Dragoon

Re: DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)

Post by Magma Dragoon »

boagman wrote:So forgive my ignorance: I have no access to translation for the game. Is there a penalty for not using the Preset ship that they have for the different CS stages? Some of them really appear to be poor choices for the runs they have in mind.

Thanks.
No real penalty at all. However you have to spend points to use a non-preset ship.
Image Image Image Image
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Shepardus wrote:You can't submit highscores using other ships.
Yes this is the main reason. Score is locked off. Might as well be credit feeding in the games eyes.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Magma Dragoon

Post by Magma Dragoon »

Squire Grooktook wrote:
Yes this is the main reason. Score is locked off. Might as well be credit feeding in the games eyes.
Again, no real penalty.
Image Image Image Image
Squire Grooktook

The Side Arms DLC actually has an interesting dynamic going on with boss fights.

Hyper/Merged Mode constantly draining. Refilled by shooting boss. Rapid fire replenishes it enough to stay in that form indefinitely, but you wanna switch to the other weapons for big damage. Point blank then refill with rapid shot before it depletes. I wouldn't mind a full game of a similar idea.
Magma Dragoon wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Again, no real penalty.
>Takes away what is literally the entire point of the genre for 80% of the people here
>"no real penalty"
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Magma Dragoon

Post by Magma Dragoon »

I tought the point of the genre was to have fun blasting stuff, not to brag to random people on some leaderboard.

Besides, it is a option given by the game, and one which not only have a cost but also isn't cheap. Not to mention if you play offline (like me) this is basically a no-deal. It's totally unlike credit-feeding IMO.
Image Image Image Image
Squire Grooktook

Magma Dragoon wrote:I tought the point of the genre was to have fun blasting stuff, not to brag to random people on some leaderboard.
The genre is a lot of different things to a lot of different people, and gaining high scores is often more about personal accomplishment and challenge then bragging rights. I don't consider scoring to be the main draw of the genre myself, but that's not the point.

The point is, you can't say it's "no penalty" when it's clearly a very big deal for a lot of people.
Magma Dragoon wrote:It's totally unlike credit-feeding IMO.
And here's why it is a lot like credit feeding:

In CS mode you can basically grind to the point of making everything a non issue. Who needs challenge when you can have 99 billion shields? And how can scores be taken seriously when your score is more dependent on the amount of time you spend grinding then how much skill and effort you put into mastering the stages?

Thus the preset/default ships fill the same role as the default number of lives and resources you get on a credit: it's the developer acknowledged standard difficulty that the stages were balanced around. You can give yourself more life with grinding, just like you can give yourself more lives in the arcade by putting in more quarters, but it's a crutch and you're not playing by what is acknowledged as the "official" difficulty mode of the game.

The fact that online leaderboards are cut off is pretty clear evidence that the developers did not consider score gained without presets to be "legit", and that presets are considered the standard for competitive play.

Now maybe you don't care, and that's fine. I don't care about scores in CS mode either (although, on the other hand, I don't care about playing it with an invincible 99 shield ship either) But you can't act like there's no point in not using presets, or go around telling people that there's no reason to play on presets.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Magma Dragoon

Post by Magma Dragoon »

You know, you gave a better answer than most people on this forum would.
Image Image Image Image
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

Gigantic Bite is completely wrecking me. I can go in with 2 lives and 40+ armor and it doesn't make a difference.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

watch Zaarock make him his bitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIze0IUJjlA

A mid-tier shmuck like me can deal with Gigantic bite and still have enough shields left over for G.T.V.

Learn when the dolphins appear and take them down quickly , theyre annoying.

Watch how Zaarock weaves through the missiles during his 3rd form. (more powerful ships like the Delta Sword can just blast those missiles away)

Learn how the big cannon with the round explosion aims and fires.

Its pretty hard but 40 shields is easily enough.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Here's someone taking down Gigantic Bite using Origin without taking any damage. Alternatively, you could try to see if something like this is possible with Gigantic Bite.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

Took him down on my 10th or so try; throw another ugly credit-feeding win on the pile as I grind my way through CS mode.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Learn when the dolphins appear and take them down quickly , theyre annoying.
Definitely this. I'm practicing him a lot at the moment and I find that, while they're pretty tame themselves, they can take your eye off a lot of more pressing dangers (especially during the form at 1:05 in Zaarock's video). One of them appears while you're penned in by those harpoon things and can be hard to hit, and it seems the trick is to get boxed in with it (5:30)...

By the way, Zaarock, I can't overstate how much your vids have helped me since this was released, and I'm continually impressed by how soon after release you had nailed everything. :P
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

Is there any way to control the point value of the white bonus orbs? I've read that it's totally random.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

They're random, same as in all the other Darius games. At least in DBCS they're a relatively small part of the total score.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

I always believed their point value depended on the position in their rotation, so if it were around 12 o' clock it'd award the maximum point value, while if it were around 1 o' clock it'd be the minimum.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Satan
Banned User

Post by Satan »

Not much experience with Darius games. I've been playing the PSP one most of the afternoon and I think I'll have to pick this up and now that the PSP is charging I thought I'd make this amazing forum post.
"A bleeding heart welcomes the sharks."
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Side Arms DLC is tough to master, still working on the 2nd and 3rd courses.

A weird weapon-switching exploit has been discovered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJO-ou5QIS4
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Still plugging away in the depths of CS mode. I forgot how hard Savage Ruler can be with ships that have little means of mitigating all his messy suicide-bullet attacks. It's pretty tough even with a Burst - one of the more scrappy and chaotic boss fights. Anyone have any tips for herding the bullets in these phases (where the room to do so is tight)?

Also, any tips on meeting alternate route conditions when the preset is Genesis? Beyond getting counterbursts on the enemies that provide 'em and clearing the following waves, I'm not sure when is best to use the beam for scoring. Even in runs where I seem to clear most waves and don't get hit, I'm still about 10m under...
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Klatrymadon wrote:Still plugging away in the depths of CS mode. I forgot how hard Savage Ruler can be with ships that have little means of mitigating all his messy suicide-bullet attacks. It's pretty tough even with a Burst - one of the more scrappy and chaotic boss fights. Anyone have any tips for herding the bullets in these phases (where the room to do so is tight)?

Also, any tips on meeting alternate route conditions when the preset is Genesis? Beyond getting counterbursts on the enemies that provide 'em and clearing the following waves, I'm not sure when is best to use the beam for scoring. Even in runs where I seem to clear most waves and don't get hit, I'm still about 10m under...
Generally you should use your Alpha Beam as much as possible while still being fully charged when the counterburstable enemies show up. Focus on clearing groups rather than all enemies at once. The Alpha Beam is weaker than a Burst laser (when your Alpha Beam is not a Counterburst), so you can't sweep massive schools of enemies with the same ease a Burst ship can (when a huge wave of enemies is covering the screen), meaning you want to focus on just taking out half of that school and getting as many group destruction bonuses as possible. On top of that, killing the last enemy in a group with your options multiplies the bonus times three on top of your normal multiplier. Finishing off bosses with a Counterburst and destroying their parts using the Alpha Beam will also net you ton of score multipliers, so keep that in mind too.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Thanks, mate! I've been keeping the Alpha beam's relative weakness in mind and going after half of the big schools as you say, so I'll try squeezing more out of the bosses and firing off more beams earlier in the stages. :)

Edit: Serumedesu's alternate route is actually easy to get onto, applying these basic strategies.
boagman

Post by boagman »

Version 1.10 now available for the physical version on Vita. Oddly, it doesn't seem to be related to DLC, necessarily. Not like the previous few, anyway. I can't read Japanese, so I can't tell what the changes are.
cicada88

Post by cicada88 »

What Nvidia GPU would be needed to run Darius Burst Chronicles on dual 1080p max settings 60fps?
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

cicada88 wrote:What Nvidia GPU would be needed to run Darius Burst Chronicles on dual 1080p max settings 60fps?
I don't think a NASA variant is necessary, DBCS can run on pretty much any PC, though I don't know how much power multi-monitor setups usually require for games in comparison to regular setups
Xyga wrote:
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

My laptop with integrated graphics runs the game smoothly on one 1080p monitor except for the boss intros and deaths, which slow down significantly due to the light effects. This includes CS mode which renders at a higher resolution than AC mode on a single-monitor setup and is thus more demanding. My desktop with a GTX275 runs the game perfectly smoothly on one monitor without breaking a sweat. Note that the original arcade hardware isn't that powerful compared to modern GPUs, though IIRC that renders at 720p x 2 and not 1080p x 2. Any Nvidia GPU that isn't ancient should be sufficient.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Yeah, DBAC never required more than mid-end even in 2010. Pretty much anything in the last five years should be able to output to two 1080p monitors fine.
Durandal wrote:I always believed their point value depended on the position in their rotation, so if it were around 12 o' clock it'd award the maximum point value, while if it were around 1 o' clock it'd be the minimum.
This is a common theory, particularly for G Darius. From what I understand, all of the games have RNG-based silver orbs.
Magma Dragoon wrote:You know, you gave a better answer than most people on this forum would.
Honestly, just after seeing both that other thread and now this little spat, you don't really deserve an answer. Squire was just being nice; he's always super nice and elaborate, especially to the people who don't read it.

And, because this conversation always gets into the fate of the genre: shmups should die (for good) just so people will finally stop disrespecting the practice. The people who actually care already have way too many games to play through for multiple lifetimes.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Despatche wrote:shmups should die (for good)
we're already fucking the corpse while pretending it's still alive
tizerist

Post by tizerist »

Where is the savegame folder located for this game?
denpanosekai

Post by denpanosekai »

Do we know if the PS4 disc will have the English translation for North American PS4s? I'm thinking of a gift for my brother.

Or will the English disc be exclusive to LRG?
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

The other potential issue is DLC - it wouldn't surprise me if the Japanese print only works with DLC from the Japanese PSN. So in terms of localization and DLC compatibility the LRG version may be the safer bet in Western (US PSN) markets - unless there is some reliable information to the contrary.

Rumors suggest a print run of 3000 regular / 2000 LE at about US$60 / US$100 each.

(Night Striker/Metal Black/RayForce), (Space Harrier/Galaxy Force II/Fantasy Zone), (DoDonPachi Resurrection/Deathsmiles/Ketsui), (Battle Garegga/Soukyuugurentai/Mahoudaisakusen), (Side Arms Hyper Dyne/Varth/Progear)

Correction: Page for the standard edition 2800 @ US$59.99 each / 2000 LE (also here)
John4300

Post by John4300 »

Hey, I've been somewhat obsessed with this game lately, playing both AC and CS mode.

I wanted to ask a bit about Phantom Castle on AC. I'm playing so far purely on survival here, but what is the trigger on him going to second phase? Enough damage on the fish itself, parts destroyed too erraticly, or both?
With all ships but Legend and Next, the main fish itself seems to be extremely difficult as dodging those homing lasers are nearly impossible (Or is there a tactic on dodging those?), but I've seen videos of people killing the boss before it can do much on the second part.
What should I do to kill it without spending too much time on phase 2?

Also, going to Thousand Knives with Second (On AC again), everything else is somewhat easy but those purple homing lasers. I lose 10+ arm on those things alone. Any suggestions on how to dodge those things? Thanks!