The BIG thread of Shmup grievances.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
xxx1993

Re: The BIG thread of Shmup grievances.

Post by xxx1993 »

I still hate checkpoints in shmups the most is what I mean.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Checkpoints are gud tho
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

trap15 wrote:Checkpoints are gud tho
In racing games, yes. In shmups, no.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

It's a matter of preference. I prefer one continuous flow of unbroken content. Having to replay a setpiece in a playthrough takes a bit of the magic out of it for me.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Vampire_Saviour

Post by Vampire_Saviour »

I'm still getting accustomed to the steep increase in difficulty following rank up in games like Mushi Futari and Mamoru-Kun (rank up difficulty increase is unfair in this one imo).

It almost makes me want to sabotage my score sometimes, which makes me feel like I am a beginner. I am a beginner.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Vampire_Saviour wrote:I'm still getting accustomed to the steep increase in difficulty following rank up in games like Mushi Futari and Mamoru-Kun (rank up difficulty increase is unfair in this one imo).

It almost makes me want to sabotage my score sometimes, which makes me feel like I am a beginner. I am a beginner.
When I started playing shooters I made this same mistake. I was so obsessed with scoring well in Ikaruga (terrible first game to pick btw) that I burned myself out playing it and haven't touched it since.

I don't remember who said it here, but it should be in bright purple letters when you walk in:

Get the clear first, then worry about scoring better.

Good luck!
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

Crimzon Clover. Dying right before Break ends. That's as bad as dying in ChoRenSha.
1. Unusual Weaponry
2. Short Words
3. Blind(ing) Fire
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Ikazu-san wrote:Crimzon Clover. Dying right before Break ends. That's as bad as dying in ChoRenSha.
Not as bad as dying right before or after using Break. At least if you die near the end then you got value out of that break.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

Shepardus wrote:
Ikazu-san wrote:Crimzon Clover. Dying right before Break ends. That's as bad as dying in ChoRenSha.
Not as bad as dying right before or after using Break. At least if you die near the end then you got value out of that break.
Yes and no. The fact that I were merely 3% away from a cancel that could easily make current life last some more is SAD. Double SAD even, 'cause Arcade difficulty isn't just giving away candy flavored extends.
1. Unusual Weaponry
2. Short Words
3. Blind(ing) Fire
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

xxx1993 wrote:I still hate checkpoints in shmups the most is what I mean.
Checkpoint + recovery = Part of the Fun.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

It's not fun to me...
Squire Grooktook

I don't like it even when it's easier.

R-Type Leo's lack of checkpoints in the World version makes for a harder game, but I'd rather get chain killed then break the flow of gameplay.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

??? World is way easier than JP for R-Type Leo.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Squire Grooktook

I was told the only differences was checkpoint vs no checkpoint, and hold button to use homing vs seperate button.

I'm told that no checkpoints makes the game very slightly harder, since in the checkpoint verison you get a few power ups back, whereas chain death is a very real threat in the non-checkpoint version. Seems consistent with my experience, since chain death is the biggest source of game overs.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Finished Jamestown so I thought I'd finish Gradius III SFC. Remembering now why I hate it. I think this game is just bad, completely easy except for a never ending stack of cheap deaths you have to memorize. Play for half an hour get killed, fail to recover, play for 35 minutes get killed, fail to recover, play for 40 minutes... Sometimes you recover and then get killed 5 minutes later, but you get my point. This game is a grind, and considering the cheap deaths really start laying it on in the endgame, the mind numbingly challenge-free 30 minutes that precede it don't seem to appealing to replay when the game more or less dishonestly stole my victory in the first place.

Fuck that shit. The worst part is it doesn't even require any skill or thought to overcome, just straight grinding. The execution barrier is one of the lowest I've seen in a shmup. I should really just go watch a quick 1cc on youtube and be done with it, I'm sure I could beat it straight out if I did. Why am I so obsessed with beating games that piss me off rather than devoting time to games I actually like such as Eschatos? Truly a mystery...
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

AC - Toss that shit and go play Eschatos. Life is too short to play games you don't enjoy.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

why are the screen sizing options so terrible on the 360 port of guwange? I'm playing it on a tate'd 4:3 monitor and when I turn wide mode off it just shows me part of the screen really zoomed in. with wide mode i get a pretty thin image with lots of border. why are the option so different to games like mushihimesama futari?
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Because it sucks.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
trap15 wrote:Checkpoints are gud tho
In racing games, yes. In shmups, no.
I can't give a reason why but I like them in older shmups like Sky Shark for instance. For a raizing game or cave game they wouldn't make sense though. Maybe that's because I only play older games for survival clear who knows
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Checkpoints aren't something you can just slap onto a game. The game needs to be designed for them.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Enemies that came from behind.... I hate it :x
SMC

Post by SMC »

that moment when the slowdown suddenly ends and you go flying into a bullet/wall
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

SMC wrote:that moment when the slowdown suddenly ends and you go flying into a bullet/wall
Oh, God, yes. THIS.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

The Slingshot
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Currently it would be that Strikers III never saw a proper home release (preferably on the DC), and that I don't have a CRT at home to play Strikers II (Also not on DC).
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

Not so much a shmup grievance, just a grievance... Almost cleared ddp dfk arrange in front of a live audience... Got the final boss down to mm, and had my highest ever scoring run. Thought I had a hyper I stock... I didn't. :|
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Jonst wrote:Not so much a shmup grievance, just a grievance... Almost cleared ddp dfk arrange in front of a live audience... Got the final boss down to mm, and had my highest ever scoring run. Thought I had a hyper I stock... I didn't. :|
There should be an "I ALMOST DID IT" thread for things like this. :P
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Getting hyped for a new release and finding out that it's grotesquely unfun to actually play for more than about 10 minutes :(
Squire Grooktook

Shepardus wrote:
Jonst wrote:Not so much a shmup grievance, just a grievance... Almost cleared ddp dfk arrange in front of a live audience... Got the final boss down to mm, and had my highest ever scoring run. Thought I had a hyper I stock... I didn't. :|
There should be an "I ALMOST DID IT" thread for things like this. :P
I almost cleared both Larsa in Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 Original and The Stone Like in Ikaruga blind. In the former case, I got hit when she had 1 pixel of health left. In the latter, I died with 3 seconds left on the clock lol.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Squire Grooktook wrote:In the former case, I got hit when she had 1 pixel of health left.
I did that on the stage 5 boss in DFK 1.5. Thankfully I got the 1-ALL on my next attempt. Also:
Still have yet to get a 2-ALL in Cho Ren Sha 68k.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube