10th Annual Top 25 Shmups of All Time - Results

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
chum

Re: 10th Annual Top 25 Shmups of All Time - Results

Post by chum »

I agree, but keep in mind that there's way more of those games just bubbling under the honorable mentions (check out the full results) so it's not like they're completely forgotten. people just really like cave around here! and besides, 25 games may seem like a lot to some people, but to me naming 25 means leaving out TONS of good games so it gets pretty tough to pick and choose
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

nosorrow wrote:Thanks, but my point still stands.
It still stands and is carried by nostaglia alone.

Games like Lords of Thunder are shockingly shallow compared to modern (from 1995 onwards) shooters. Their audiovisual presentation is admittedly quite good sometimes, but the lack of gameplay makes them rather irrelevant when nostalgic factors are ignored.

I'd love to have a top 25 list one day without complete rubbish like R-Type. Let's face it.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Plasmo wrote:without complete rubbish like R-Type
The door's over there. Get out. Don't let the handle hit you on the ass on the way out. :V
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Only my opinion but gameplay isn't everything, even for shmups...
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
system11

Post by system11 »

Plasmo wrote:I'd love to have a top 25 list one day without complete rubbish like R-Type. Let's face it.
A lot of people like games for different reasons. Calling R-Type complete rubbish is impossibly narrow minded.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
nosorrow

Post by nosorrow »

I love Cave games. I don't think I've tried one I utterly disliked (maybe Guwange...). Anyways, they're pretty much all awesome in my book. Same for Raizing, Takumi, Psikyo.

I also happen to adore playing games from Compile, Tecno Soft, Konami, Taito, etc. Nostalgia has got nothing to do with it Plasmo.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Plasmo wrote: I'd love to have a top 25 list one day without complete rubbish like R-Type. Let's face it.
I like a bold take, especially when it comes from someone I respect like Plasmo. Often when others don't like the gameplay of a game I like (e.g. Xevious), I think it's either because I'm less expert and more easily entertained or because it's just a difference in taste (e.g. I love Xevious' risk-reward balance in scoring-- not to mention I love the look of the game). But in this case I'm not sure what to say. I suppose R-Type's gameplay is mostly about survival, memorization. So maybe this is more about taste.
system11

Post by system11 »

professor ganson wrote:
Plasmo wrote: I'd love to have a top 25 list one day without complete rubbish like R-Type. Let's face it.
I like a bold take, especially when it comes from someone I respect like Plasmo. Often when others don't like the gameplay of a game I like (e.g. Xevious), I think it's either because I'm less expert and more easily entertained or because it's just a difference in taste (e.g. I love Xevious' risk-reward balance in scoring-- not to mention I love the look of the game). But in this case I'm not sure what to say. I suppose R-Type's gameplay is mostly about survival, memorization. So maybe this is more about taste.
Scoring in modern games is nearly 100% memorization, so that description of games with physical routes has always been bunk as soon as people started caring about scores and optimal scoring routes.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Vyxx wrote: Also a sweet justice seeing DeathSmiles drop from the top 25.
I was going to moan about Futari being ridiculously overrated until I saw Deathsmiles didn't register in the top 25. All ill-feeling suddenly evaporated. Sweet justice indeed.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Who cares there will never be a 'top something' everyone will approve of anyway.
The Top 25 Shmups's goal is just to give people a quick overview of the most popular shmups period. It's not here to tell "as a fact game ranked ## is actually better than game **".
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Everyone knows that. I'm just as happy to see its trending popularity take a hit. Game is solidly average.

Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

tbh I was being a bit cocky there. I'm loving R-Type myself, but compared to modern games, I'm happy how the genre has evolved. I can see how some people are disliking all older shmups. They play very differently.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Really we did a 'top' on the french website as well and the same happened, there's the agnostic crowd that don't discriminate and the 'old school VS. modern' arguing modern shmups are de-facto better and the 'bullshit' / 'no u' war began.
Then when a few hardcore Cave fanboys and Touhou kids joined the discussion it turned to a battle.

You see SkyKid but I'm not sure all people really get the point of these 'top shmups' things. :lol:
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

Plasmo wrote:tbh I was being a bit cocky there. I'm loving R-Type myself, but compared to modern games, I'm happy how the genre has evolved. I can see how some people are disliking all older shmups. They play very differently.
you need to play R-Type Delta.
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
tigen

Post by tigen »

Why are people talking about the previous poll? Last one is here:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 31#p991531

Deathsmiles is alive and well in the top 25.

I think it's been discussed before but I do think the poll is a bit skewed by not combining Ibara + Ibara Kuro as one item, and also Daifukkatsu. It's not practical to expect everyone votes for both of them, who vote for one. It looks like both of those would then be in the top 10.
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

tigen wrote: I think it's been discussed before but I do think the poll is a bit skewed by not combining Ibara + Ibara Kuro as one item, and also Daifukkatsu. It's not practical to expect everyone votes for both of them, who vote for one. It looks like both of those would then be in the top 10.
Because the difference between DFK and DFKBL is humongous. They are practically two different games. They are sold as such also. same with Ibara and Ibara Kuro.
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
dannnnn

Post by dannnnn »

tigen wrote:I think it's been discussed before but I do think the poll is a bit skewed by not combining Ibara + Ibara Kuro as one item, and also Daifukkatsu. It's not practical to expect everyone votes for both of them, who vote for one. It looks like both of those would then be in the top 10.
Agreed 100%. It's very silly IMO to separate certain black label versions from their original counterparts, but not others. Who decides if they are different enough to warrant their own entry? They should either all be combined or all be kept separate, and the former makes more sense to me since you only have 25 votes to go around.
nasty_wolverine wrote: Because the difference between DFK and DFKBL is humongous. They are practically two different games. They are sold as such also. same with Ibara and Ibara Kuro.
Almost all of the BL variants are practically different games. Deathsmiles MBL has an extra stage, an extra character, Lv.999 mode and changes to the scoring system yet is combined with Deathsmiles. Likewise, Akai Katana Shin has an extra stage (two, technically), a totally new scoring system and even a different screen format yet is combined with Akai Katana. Even Futari BL which might bear close resemblance on the surface plays very differently scoring-wise than 1.5, and what about the limited Mushi 1.5 release - is that separate or combined?

Also, the DFK 1.5 and BL ports being sold separately is a moot point because it's only due to the fact that CAVE knew they could get two releases out of it instead of one based on the inclusion of the Ketsui arrange mode bundled with DFK BL. You can still add BL to your DFK 1.5 copy as DLC and they've since been released as a double pack anyway.
Observer wrote:WELCOME TO VIOLENT CITY. That's all the storyline I need.
chempop

Post by chempop »

YES, all black label votes should be combined with original releases.
I don’t care how similar DOJ and DOJ BL are and how different DFK and DFK BL are, just make a blanket rule to only vote on GAME TITLES rather than revision updates or color labels.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
tigen

Post by tigen »

Yeah, they might change a lot of stuff but in the big picture they're still the same game, same graphics and weapons and whatnot. Especially to a casual observer, they sound and walk like the same duck.

They are sold as different boards sure but they're still revisions/edits of the same game. In an ideal world everyone would vote on every version of everything, because the differences are interesting. But practically speaking, I feel it's not very realistic to expect all voters to learn the nuances of every possible version of one game, or set about ranking the versions among the sea of other games. And yeah, it's also inconsistent. Like Batsugun Special has a different hit box and other major stuff, but it's combined into Batsugun.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

tigen wrote:Why are people talking about the previous poll?
Oh yeah. What the heck is going on? Dismayed to find you've all reinstated Deathsmiles, Cave's third best hori, but the bigger picture is how ridiculous an Ikeda fest the new list is. It's almost all Cave.

chempop

Post by chempop »

...but the bigger picture is how ridiculous an Ikeda fest the new list is. It's almost all Cave.
It’s as if they developed most of the good shmups in the last 15 years... hmmmm.... :roll:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

chempop wrote:
...but the bigger picture is how ridiculous an Ikeda fest the new list is. It's almost all Cave.
It’s as if they developed most of the good shmups in the last 15 years... hmmmm....
Or people voting haven't played a shmup made before 2000.
Doctor Butler

Post by Doctor Butler »

Plasmo wrote: ...complete rubbish like R-Type...
Only in comparison to Gradius.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

EmperorIng wrote:
chempop wrote:
It’s as if they developed most of the good shmups in the last 15 years... hmmmm....
Or people voting haven't played a shmup made before 2000.
All this.

Opus131

Post by Opus131 »

Complaining about Cave seems to be a good way to show to others how non-conformist you are.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Think ya bumped the wrong year topic kiddo~

Nothing against Cave personally. They're just not really my style. I like fast movement, and most danmaku games (which originate from Cave) are mostly based on going into a slow movement mode and micro tapping stuff. I prefer an emphasis on large hazards to get out of the way and/or patterns that reward macro dodging to keep you zig zagging about at high speed. Not to say that those kind of patterns are completely absent in Cave's style, but they're certainly not the focus (except in Dangun).

That being said Ketsui and DOJ are probably the quintessential classical danmaku games, and Dangun Feveron and Guwange are very much in line with my interests.

No way in hell is Konami still my favorite shmup dev after 2 years, lmao.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.