Shmup stinkers

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
TransatlanticFoe

Re: Shmup stinkers

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Strike Force Hydra on the GBA is one of the outright worst games I have ever had the misfortune of purchasing. I was so happy for Electronics Boutique's 7 days no-quibble returns policy, because that is the only time I've ever taken a game back for being total trash.

+ 1 on Strike Gunner too, or at least Super Strike Gunner on the SNES. How many grey helicopters must I shoot to the same rubbish 20 second loop of music?

Xenon 2 wasn't that bad once you got used to the seriously S L O W movement, and I assume Air Buster gets nominations for the stages where you mysteriously gain inertia.

So, a new one - Bomber Raid on the SMS. I challenge anyone to play that for 5 minutes and still be having a good time :(
Observer

Post by Observer »

Aisha wrote:"Bad Touhou Clones" isn't specific enough.

Super Mate Mate Laser should be taken off the list as well. It's just too early to pass judgement on it since the game is still very early in development, and the only iterations of it that have been released so far are just test and design demos. Playing one of them doesn't give you the sense of what the final version will be like (other than it possibly resembling an arena shooter) since there's no structure or progression implemented yet.
Yeah. I would take it off the list for now. Especially because it can get much worse later on :D (I hope not though)

True regarding "Bad Touhou Clones". If you need a specific example, that would be Resurrection of Heaven's Liquor. Freeware if I'm not wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZp_AR7JWdg
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

burgerkingdiamond wrote:I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to like something. Many of my favorite albums I didn't like at first. Usually there is 1 or 2 songs that I can get into right away. Then slowly the rest grows on me. The ironic thing is that usually the songs that initially bring me to the album become my least favorite.
Yeah, very much this. I doubt many people liked beer from the first sip. Acquired taste and all that.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Rob

Post by Rob »

Skykid wrote: Turbo Force
gtfo
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I was wondering how long it'd take you to show up, Rob. :lol:
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

I thought about trolling Udderdude and nominating XOP Black :)
but considering Ive already listed his game as an euroshmup in that poll he would probably reach across the internets and throttle me
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:I assume Air Buster gets nominations for the stages where you mysteriously gain inertia.
That just appears to be inertia, but it isn't. You can't stop moving, unless you lean against a screen border. It's supposed to convey the idea that you're flying in outer space (leaving the Earth's atmosphere at the end of the 3rd stage and regaining control as you re-enter a closed environment prior to fighting the 5th boss).
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Tell me about Legion. I thought the game was impossible to play due to emulation issues?
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Which Legion are you talking about?
Marurun

Post by Marurun »

I remember another shmup, if it can be called a shmup without really having bullets? Captain Tomaday. It's like if Twinbee were made with vegetables, no guns, you don't attack straight in front of you, and the stages seem to go on FOREVER.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I agree with Captain Tomaday! God, I hate that game. It's quirky characters and silly antics don't fool me.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

The main problem with Tomaday is that there seems to be a lack of game balance and direction, it's stages just throw enemy patterns at you with a whack-a-mole quality to them. It's still playable though, it just makes you want to play Twinbee instead.

So why haven't most of the games on Rob's old lists made the cut? Unless someone here can find anything good about Espial.
twalden

Post by twalden »

Despatche wrote:Tell me about Legion. I thought the game was impossible to play due to emulation issues?
I was referring to the PC Engine CD version in my post.
devilmanozzy

Post by devilmanozzy »

Darius + by the Edge. It is the worst port of the series, not even stand-able.
AVGN wrote:This game is so hard; it would actually be easier to go outside in a thunderstorm and try to dodge rain
http://shmups.co.uk/<- The new url of shmupswiki.com
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

I'm disputing Famicom B-Wings.

That game had enough variety and secrets to last several years' worth of gameplay (case in point: my entire family got addicted to it for around 3 years straight during the heyday of the NES). The wraparound level layouts and boss designs also helped encourage exploration and experimentation with the weapons. Sure, some stank--I'm looking at you, VAN Wing and WIDE Wing--and some worked, but we had fun figuring out which is which, and even more fun finding the hidden Wings in each stage.

The only bad thing I can bring up would be some of the bosses and barriers with impenetrable weakspots, which not only required you to have the JUMP or DYNA Wings to even stand a chance of defeating them, but also to memorize when they would appear. Nonetheless, it holds its own; it's not on par with Life Force, but it's certainly no Action 52 shmup either.
--Papilio v0.9 Beta now on itch.io! (development thread)--
Xyga wrote:Blondest eyelashes ever.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
burgerkingdiamond wrote:I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to like something. Many of my favorite albums I didn't like at first. Usually there is 1 or 2 songs that I can get into right away. Then slowly the rest grows on me. The ironic thing is that usually the songs that initially bring me to the album become my least favorite.
Yeah, very much this. I doubt many people liked beer from the first sip. Acquired taste and all that.
Agreed. This was me with Cave games till Shmupmame got out and I could really get into the controls for ESPRade.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:I thought about trolling Udderdude and nominating XOP Black :)
but considering Ive already listed his game as an euroshmup in that poll he would probably reach across the internets and throttle me
Can't be any worse than when shoesama claimed he "broke the game" because he realized he could speed boost around bullets in level 1. >_>
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Captain Tomaday really induces rage in me. I would say Strikers 1945+ is a stinker as well.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Updated. Good list so far, I've had fun youtubing these. :o
I'll finish the video links in time to flesh it out, but keep em coming if you have anymore.

There's quite a lot of negatives over the positives for Turbo Force, but if anyone else wants to back that (and 1 more for Silver Surfer)
I can decide on what needs removing. Same for Famicom B-Wings.
devilmanozzy wrote:Darius + by the Edge
Any vids for that version?
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Kollision

Post by Kollision »

twalden wrote:
Despatche wrote:Tell me about Legion. I thought the game was impossible to play due to emulation issues?
I was referring to the PC Engine CD version in my post.
I could emulate it perfectly on my PC.
I had to do it to practice that dreadful last stage before I could clear it for real on my Duo.

It is a contender for the list, but strangely I grew to like it after all the beating. :roll:
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

devilmanozzy wrote:Darius + by the Edge. It is the worst port of the series, not even stand-able.
I was going to mention this but assumed that noone would have played it. Has to be seen to believed.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Kollision wrote:
TransatlanticFoe wrote:I assume Air Buster gets nominations for the stages where you mysteriously gain inertia.
That just appears to be inertia, but it isn't. You can't stop moving, unless you lean against a screen border. It's supposed to convey the idea that you're flying in outer space (leaving the Earth's atmosphere at the end of the 3rd stage and regaining control as you re-enter a closed environment prior to fighting the 5th boss).
Didn't realise it was "proper" rather than just inertia, I never let if drift too long! I get that it's an attempt at "realistic" physics, but it almost ruins the game because it's so frustrating to control... plus if it's aiming for a spot of realism, how does the damn thing manoeuvre in a vacuum? I don't see any directional thrusters! Shmups really are no place to attempt realism, especially when it gets in the way of fun.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Forget the realism, it's a challenge.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
toaplan_shmupfan

Post by toaplan_shmupfan »

1942 original arcade version? Yeah, I know, it's often credited as the vertical shmup that inspired others, but still...

Even when I've done well enough, I've lost interest in the game about 12 stages into the game and the whole game is supposed to last 32 stages. Enemies are too repetitive, using loop to evade more often than not results in getting rammed by an enemy plane when coming out of the loop, and of course, the very repetitive drum and whistle music that sounds even worse on quality speakers than it did in the amplified mono arcade cabinet.

1943, despite having a lifebar rather than a specific number of turns, was a much better game.

As for fake gravity, Gaiares Stage 2 has it where after moving up and down the ship keeps auto-centering after being moved up or down, and in Gaiares stage 3 it shows up for the blackholes that resemble speaker cones if they were viewed from above.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Right, if you check the first page I've linked all the entries to youtube vids bar a few I can't find. If anyone can find vids for the ones outstanding and post them up that would be cool.

Some of these games are shocking! :shock:

Is this a comprehensive list then, or does anyone have any more (I would've thought the Euroshmup Amiga years would have had quite a few relevant contributions?)

TVG

Post by TVG »

First off, the magic girl footage you put is not the right game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rul47aqVUqw
Here, no, the youtube vid is not choppy, it really animates like this.

Second, remove turbo force and strikers 1945+ asap.
"In short, it comes down to spirit" - dodonpachi developper Kohyama.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

I'm disputing Strikers 1945 Plus. I mean honestly....
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

...and I nominate Soldner X (the first one). Terrible, but at least they improved things with part 2.
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

The vagrant wrote:First off, the magic girl footage you put is not the right game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rul47aqVUqw
Here, no, the youtube vid is not choppy, it really animates like this.

Second, remove turbo force and strikers 1945+ asap.
Ah thanks, that was a bit confusing.
stryc9 wrote:I'm disputing Strikers 1945 Plus. I mean honestly....
Sigh, okay, I'll take it off. What's with people throwing up decent games all the time.

Well, at least its becoming a pretty decent list of actual stinkers.
stryc9 wrote:...and I nominate Soldner X (the first one). Terrible, but at least they improved things with part 2.
Will add now.

Xexyz

Post by Xexyz »

There's some games on this list that I enjoy, but I wouldn't dispute the argument that they aren't very good. But then I notice Blast Wind is in the list... Blast Wind, really? I think we're grasping at straws here if that's considered a stinker.