The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
chibishin

Re: The Self-Introduction Thread

Post by chibishin »

Yo, new member here, old member at a bunch of other places.

Just looking to pick up some boards to add to my small collection and look at historical pricing info for others once I have access to the FS forum, that is. Other than that, *lurk lurk lurk*
Nickv

Post by Nickv »

Hello.
I've looked around this group for years and figured is should finnially join.
I already have a lot of arcades and a 400-500 board sets plus most consoles rgb modded also I'm my game room lair :D Looking forward to taking to everyone and I will post a few pics when I can figure it out. Thanks
Nick
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Welcome to the fold people.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
BackwardPlot425

Post by BackwardPlot425 »

Teenage Mutant Victor Vipers, Teenage Mutant Victor Vipers, Teenage Mutant Victor Vipers, Heroes in Time and Space, Skillful power!

Sorry, I had to do that. I haven't been in the forums for long but I am getting a lot of Games on MAME and MESS so I am going to practice SHMUPs until the end of time. Afterwards, I am going to record my attempts in a single credit completion.

But on the bright side, at least I can start my shmups collection.
Hodari

Post by Hodari »

Hello my names Hodari and im a gamaholic, happy to meet everyone. i hope to meet some great people in this fourm.
Emerald golvellius

Cave games on Steam

Post by Emerald golvellius »

Hi all,
good one i love Cave shooters,i hope some day ESP Ra.De. and others Cave games come to Steam,
greetings.
Alestes metamorphoses into an Owl,the time to Fight has come.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Welcome people. It is a pretty good place and there is a lot of knowledge here.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
nescollector

Post by nescollector »

H Everyone,

Been collecting NES games for a while and now have started collecting famicom games as well. I hope to know you guys better over time :D
mjkerpan

Post by mjkerpan »

Hello there, I'm a fan of classic games from the US. I'm a big fan of old-school (pre Bullet Hell) shooters, classic arcade racers (Outrun, etc), platformers, and beat-em-ups. I also enjoy oldschool FPS games (Doom, Duke 3D, Quake 1, Unreal, UT 99), 4x strategy games, RPGs, adventure games, and 1-on-1 fighters. I own/collect for Genesis and also have a Gamecube (which I can't afford to collect for) and a couple last-gen systems (X360 and PS3). I also like playing PC classics from GoG and anything else I can get.
eRock

Post by eRock »

Hello everybody, Been playing games for a long time... honestly never played too many shmups until I played some Blazing Star on a friend's Neo... started scoping out others... yada yada DonDonPachi, ProGear, Mushihimesama... totally hooked, total noob... figured I should join up to see where the cool kids hang out. -e
max2016

Post by max2016 »

Lurked this place for a while. I'm a fan of Cave games, currently playing quite a bit of Batrider though
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

Hay, everyone.

I'm not "new" here, but I was gone for a few years, tried to come back using my old account, and found out I couldn't. So, I went ahead and made a new account. I'm the poster formerly known as "xbl0x180" and a harrcore casual gamer.

Yoroshiku 8)
MrFugu

Post by MrFugu »

Good evening everyone,

I'm new and I like shmups (particularly those that a lot of others *do not* like, hello Progear :lol: ). I'm also a late-night delusional small time developer, so I shall post screenshots from time to time.

All the best,
Mr. Fugu
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

Hi guys,

My name is Kevin. I'm a player/collector. I've been slowly shifting over to RGB gaming and hope to be a bit of a sponge and absorb some of the knowledge I see in posts around here. I collect for a lot of systems, but I'm not too picky most of the time. I don't do boxed cartridge games or anything like that. A lot of my systems are either re-capped or modded for RGB or s-video.

I currently play most of my games on an old Sony Trinitron 32" CRT from the mid 90's.....hoping to jump over to a BVM or NEC XM29. Also hoping to start collecting for the Turbografx/PC engine soon. Long time lurker, first time poster LOL
NinKenDog

Post by NinKenDog »

Hey everyone.
Been lurking for a few years off and on and have been playing shmups for just as long. I have really only played the ones I can find on PS3 and steam but would like to find more. Ketsui is so far my favorite.
SamuraiNeko

Nice to meet you!

Post by SamuraiNeko »

Hello, my name is Samurai Neko.

I love SHMUPs lore and things that make the STG series for what they are

Top favorite SHMUPS: Xevious series, Gradius series, Galaxian series, Thunder Force series, Fantasy Zone Timeline (which include Space Harrier), Cotton series, Twinbee series, Darius series.

Nice to meet you all.
はじめまして。よろしくお願いします!
seraph

Re: Nice to meet you!

Post by seraph »

ようこそ。
Shepardus

Re: Nice to meet you!

Post by Shepardus »

NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
supermoot

Post by supermoot »

Oh hey! I never got into shmups growing up so I thought I would start checking `em out about a year ago. I am lucky enough to have a local barcade with 1945 plus and blazing star :D Currently building a stick, hoarding tv's, and fooling with rgb hacks. I really dig this forum, and end up here when I am googling stuff :) Thanks!
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

Somehow I just missed this Thread!

New face here. Joined the forum genuinely for being part of a shmup community. Currently, I have been playing shmups on emulators in my laptop (fliped sideways for the TATE) or the Playstation 2 ports on the TV. So I don't have acess to everything, but of course that I already have a vast number of titles that I can run on the PC. Also, I don't master the genre yet (neither the english language), so I'm running for my first 1cc by the time I joined the forum.

I had a lot of stg since last year, but now just decided to take a step foward

(And always willing to talk about weird obscure things)
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce myself. I've been reading this forum for a while now and I felt it was time to make an account and maybe contribute a bit.
I spend my nights developing stuff. Making shmups rather than playing has proven a rather challenging task, it's easy to create random stuff but hard to do something that holds up when pro and medium players alike are hammering away at it. I hope I do get it far enough for a release at some point.

Also a small confession: I was socialized on home computers - not in arcades - so my brain is wired to have the stick in my right hand and the buttons on the left side. I built my own stick using some standard sanwa parts and a PCB salvaged from a 2nd gen. Mayflash stick to accomodate for this. "Shmup players hate him!"

Thanks for having me and have a good day.
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
TechnoFreek

Post by TechnoFreek »

Hey all.

New user, first time posting even though I don't registered years ago!

I have an Atomiswave SD candy cabinet that I completely restored.
Video here if anyone interested.

https://youtu.be/FYxSKcq6Uog
AlexSkylark

Post by AlexSkylark »

Hey, guys!

SHMUP Afficcionado from Sao Paulo, Brazil here :) how you guys doing?

I play those games ever since I was in my teens, as I grew up in the NES and SNES era :) It has always been one of my favorite genres :) My first one was GRADIUS for the NES, followed right after by Abadox and R-Type a little later.

Currently I'm not having much time to play, specially cuz I passed through to the other side, and I'm developing a SHMUP game myself, REDSHIFT!!! :D Make sure to drop by and watch the trailer! :)

Nice to meet you all, peoples. Looking forward to being part of this community
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

Nice to see more shmup players from Brazil. With Kollision and me, were three.
I may someday ask you for some advice to buy a arcade stick around here.
neonbuster

Post by neonbuster »

Good evening everybody. I'm a long time reader of this forum, old man, dilettante shmup player, and small time developer.

I will post screenshots of my stuff from time to time.
Fonzie

Post by Fonzie »

Hello there,

My nick is Fonzie, I'm big fan of MegaDrive. Been working on some new games for the system!
Unfortunately (for some), the shooter I've the most played is definitively Silpheed on Mega Cd. That's the only shooter I've completed. Just wish it had more bigger bosses.
Also quite fond of aerofighters when it comes to play in the arcades but no close to be an expert at it.

Long time I didn't use that :mrgreen: emoticon :P

Fonz
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Fonzie wrote:Unfortunately (for some), the shooter I've the most played is definitively Silpheed on Mega Cd.
Why unfortunately, dude?
Silpheed is awesome in lots of ways! :)

Welcome!
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

wgogh wrote:Nice to see more shmup players from Brazil. With Kollision and me, were three.
YAY yes é nois mano!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

there are actually more Brazilians around here (~ 10 or more), it's just that they don't post that often.
necrosonic

Post by necrosonic »

Hello, my name is Jim.

I've been lurking around here a bit and I thought I'd go ahead and join.

I started out with the 2600 and have always enjoyed shmups though I can't say I'm much good at them.

My favorite games are Stargate, Galaga, R-Type, the Gradius series and Bangai-O Spirits. The only game in the genre that I ever beat was R-Type on the Master System.

I am more of a survival player than a score player. I just enjoy seeing how far I can get. I'm very into the sound and pixel art of 80s/90s arcade games as well.

I'm working on a shmup music release that is mainly based around the late 80s to early 90s arcade sound and I'm looking for an artist that can do some awesome space ship art for me (not pixel art, think something like The Gradius NES cover) and if anyone could point me in the right direction through PM towards people who do that sort of thing I'd appreciate it.
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

necrosonic wrote:(not pixel art, think something like The Gradius NES cover) and if anyone could point me in the right direction through PM towards people who do that sort of thing I'd appreciate it.
Hey, Jim. I would like to see that cover if you managed to find someone, since that kind of painting (seen in old posters, magazines) seems to be a dying style. I could be wrong, though

And of course, welcome