The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
saigan

Re: The Self-Introduction Thread

Post by saigan »

d0s wrote:
saigan wrote:but neither of them bit me the same way that R-Type did
I think the original R-Type is a very special game and few things are going to reach that level of utter perfection, easily my favorite hori shmup by a mile. Congrats on your 1CC!
Thank you!
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

saigan wrote:Following some recommendations I tried out both Mushihimesama and Jamestown but neither of them bit me the same way that R-Type did after seeing a review for it on classic game room.
Indeed, R-Type has a very unique playstyle. That being said, be sure to keep and open mind and try lots of stuff. There are many unique shmups with very different playstyles and feels. Be sure to sample as many as you can in looking for favorites! You never know where they'll pop up.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Taku_

Post by Taku_ »

Hello, im new here figure I would make a post after I finally joined. As with most ive been lurking here for a little while, figure I would try to dive myself into trying to understand and get better at shmups, having never played many of them. So far I have managed to 1CC both Boost & Original Novice mode in Crimson Clover: World Ignition with the Type-Z :)
BenG76

Post by BenG76 »

My first time checking this forum out. I have the same username on many other forums. I have have always been a fan of shmups and came here looking for ideas on games I should try out.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Welcome! There are a lot of good shootemups are Steam, so that is an excellent place to look if you are looking to get introduced to the genre.

There's also emulation through MAME, which will be your primary way to access the majority of titles from the genre's past. The most important thing is to find something you like and have fun.
Harpuia

Post by Harpuia »

Hello everyone. I've kinda been lurking here for a while and finally decided to join. I've always had somewhat of a passive interest in shmups, if only just to credit feed and blow shit up, but I think my interest in 1CC'ing games only came about fairly recently. Outside of shmups, I also enjoy metroidvania, fps, tower defense, platformers, and racing games. Anyways, here's my current 1cc list:

Gradius III snes (1-ALL, no-miss, my first 1cc ever)
Gradius PC-Engine (1-ALL)
Blue Wish Ressurection Plus (Original, Barrier ON, Blue Wish)
Dodonpachi MAME (1-ALL, C-S)
Guwange MAME (Shishin, easily the 1cc I'm most proud of)
Override
Super Aleste (Normal)
Danmaku Unlimted 2 (Classic/Hard)
Darius II Mega Drive (ACIEMRW and ACFJNSN routes)

And I am currently working on Super Darius and Danmaku Unlimted 2 on Extreme difficulty. That's it for my introduction I suppose, I look forward to chatting about shmups and such.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

First of all, hello all.

I've been playing shmups rather casually, for quite a bit, but only recently have i actually tried to finish them (abiding by the 1cc rule, of course).
In my quest to do so, I've discovered this forum, and I have got some pretty good info about them, not to mention suggestions to games I hadn't heard of yet.
I was also interested into the hiscore and 1cc lists that you have here, which helped motivate me even more to finish the shmups i play.

I've only 1cc'ed 2 shmups to date, the first being Jamestown, and the other Blue Wish Resurrection (on Heaven, of course).
This last one, is what really pushed me to sign up, because i consider it my first real "arcade" 1cc, because Jamestown was pretty easy (even for me, on default settings), and BWR was actually the first game I had to practice to complete.

I'm hoping to have a good time, and also, in the future, try to post a decent score in the hiscore lists.

Once again, nice to meet you all.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Hello everyone. My name is Whisper and I'm obsessed with Bullet Hell games. I can talk about em for hours and hours and hours and never get bored. I've decided to join this community to further my obsession and hopefully be able to talk with experts who could help me push my games even further!

My shmup of the moment is Mushihimesama (Steam), but I've played a lot of shmups from CAVE's to doujins.
One thing I wanna note from the start is that I am not an elitist 'Oh this Shmup sucks because (X) is better!'. I love a lot of them regardless of reputation or opinions, I'm just very passionate and don't care about the hate.

I hope to make some friends here! Nice to meet you all.
DQ187

Post by DQ187 »

Hello, im new here. Names David but you can call me DQ! :lol:

Big shooter fan and Im looking forward to talking with all of you about em! Ive been into the Genre since I was a kid but it wasn't till about 5 years ago that I started diving deeper into it. I prefer Vertical shooters. Some of my favorites are Battle Garegga, Soldier Blade, Space Megaforce, Robo Aleste and Musha!
Nico Yazawa

Post by Nico Yazawa »

Nico Nico Ni! Hello guys~. I'm Brandon and I'm a casual SHMUP player and do play a few. I'm an anime fan first... SHMUP fan like fifth. Though, Casper from Death Smiles > 95% anime girls.

Nice to meet you guys!
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

DQ187 wrote:Some of my favorites are Battle Garegga
Good man. :wink:

Welcome, all of you.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Nico Yazawa wrote:Casper from Death Smiles > 95% anime girls.
Good taste. Welcome!
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
qmish

Post by qmish »

But what are other 5%?
Nico Yazawa

Post by Nico Yazawa »

Shepardus wrote:
Nico Yazawa wrote:Casper from Death Smiles > 95% anime girls.
Good taste. Welcome!
You agree and adore Casper like a fellow based fan? I like what I'm hearing comrade.

@ qmish: My waifus for laifus :wink:
EXEXEX

Post by EXEXEX »

Hi all!

I'm new here, been shmupping since last year. I do not own any console other than NES and PS1 which it's sad. I mostly play shmups on MAME with old laptop.

The only game I've 1cc is Famicom Gradius II and Darius Gaiden.
Mehmet

Post by Mehmet »

-
Last edited by Mehmet on Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enzo03

Post by Enzo03 »

Hello. I've lurked in here off and on over the past few years without posting. It's been nearly two entire years since the time I first made my account and the time I first posted a few days ago!

My first shmup was probably Mig-29 Soviet Fighter on the NES, which I played at the ripe old age of 1! It was the only shmup cartridge we had for a long time, even if I might hesitate to call it strictly such. Other shmups in my early life were 1943 and (shudder) Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth, which I guess I could say was my first 1CC if it even mattered. Up until a good 10 or so years ago, if not more recently, I was pathologically bad at most video games and the latter of those two games I mentioned I used to get game over on the first levels.

Other than 1943 I think the first truly good shmup I played was either Strikers 1945 II in a hotel arcade (it had a weird setup where you auto-fire and the charge shot occurs ... I think when you power up or something like that), or Raiden Trad on my cousin's SNES. Both of these games have stuck with me over the years, though with Raiden I usually play either PCE version or arcade version on MAME.

More recently I find myself occasionally working on DoDonPachi, though I've got a long way to go and probably won't get far if I practice at this rate. The most I've both no-missed to is level 4 and the most I've went on a single credit was probably level 5.. once! More often I fire up my Genesis (only recently got into that console!) and play some Truxton, MUSHA, and Thunder Force 4 among others, but I can't say I get terribly far in those either. Truxton is unfair (moreso on Arcade and PCE) if you don't know what you're up against and side scrollers aren't my thing -- though I'll play TF4 anyway! I've also come close to the end of Fire Shark but I tend to lose most of my lives soon after I lose my first one if it's late in the game. Most of my Genesis shmups are loaded up on my Mega Everdrive. With Truxton and (the infinitely more fair) Fire Shark I've been looking more at those older twitch shooters, and in turn have returned to doing rounds on Raiden and Strikers.

My Steam collection of shmups has been growing lately, too.
haganbmj

Post by haganbmj »

Quick introduction post. Looking into retro video formats and figured it'd be worthwhile to register on the site at least in case something sparked my interest.
Emma

Post by Emma »

#
Last edited by Emma on Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Welcome!
but I still have to figure out which mode to play and how to get better. :oops:
Here's a few resources. The stickied threads at the top of the Strategy forum are a good gateway to finding other stuff like this.

GD: How to practice shooting games

ST: Deathsmiles Arcade & Ver 1.1

GD: Death Smiles

GD: Deathsmiles Mega Black Label Version differences
Pedro Lambrini

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Nice to meet you. Sounds like you're off to a good start with some of the games you've got in your Steam library.

Keep us posted with your practice and progress. :)
It's Dangerous! It's Devious! It's...
NickPalmerDegica

Post by NickPalmerDegica »

Hi, I'm Nick, your friendly local Degica communications manager (its a dumb title, they couldn't think of anything else that encompassed all the little jobs I do).

Anyway, instead of just being a random "hi, I'm the dude you talk to about glitches with our games, or excitement or questions about our games" I'd rather be, you know, a human being, because that is much more fun.

My experience with Shmups is admittedly very thin. I do though, have super fond memories of a Raiden II cabinet that was in the bowling alley arcade where I grew up. I remember loving powering up the purple tracking laser thing (I have no idea what they actually called it) and tearing through levels and watching it eat my quarters.

Outside of that, I've mostly played the shmups that Degica has released, and I'll admit I'm not that great at them. I find them enjoyable, but the dedication required to be legit good at any of the games is probably not my thing (also why I hate most online games, jump on, get killed by someone who plays that game and only that game, cry. My attention span for one video game is, not that high admittedly.)

My own taste in games lean more towards RPGs, but I can enjoy almost any genre of game if its well designed in that genre. My favorite game of all time is probably Nier, but don't quote me on that because I might change my mind tomorrow. Outside of video games, I collect hobby board games (they take up an entire wall in my house) and tabletop RPGs.

Anyway, because of my work, I do plan on getting more into the shmup scene, What games do you think are good for beginners/casual shmup guys?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

NickPalmerDegica wrote:Anyway, because of my work, I do plan on getting more into the shmup scene, What games do you think are good for beginners/casual shmup guys?
This article will hopefully help; if you're interested in more background genre info this one might be of interest.
SapphireDensetsu

Post by SapphireDensetsu »

NickPalmerDegica wrote: Anyway, because of my work, I do plan on getting more into the shmup scene, What games do you think are good for beginners/casual shmup guys?
Hmm...

In terms of beginner games, my progression would likely go

(1) Crimzon Clover/Blue Wish Resurrection Plus (gradations in difficulty, easy first clears, lots of good practice options (latter is probably difficult on modern Windows though due to framerate dips))

(2) Cho Ren Sha 68k (great introduction to a more classic style of shooting) [make sure to run in Windows 98 compatibility mode]

(3) Mushihimesama/Deathsmiles (well thought out gradation of difficulties and awesome patterns to refine your dodging techniques against)

(4) Any of Cave's PGM games (Espgaluda (training), Dodonpachi Daioujou (straight patterns), and Ketsui (warping patterns) ) (on their own, these three games would be enough to teach just about any of the skills anyone would need to tackle the genre, but I'm a sucker for variety so I go for all kinds of other games as well)

I have more thoughts on the matter, but I'll stop myself here so that I don't go off on some huge tangential rant. Anyway, welcome to the farms, and I hope you enjoy your stay! :D
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Welcome! In addition to what BulletMagnet and Sapphire suggested, I would recommend Batsugun (Special version), rRootage, Astebreed, Mecha Ritz, and Imperishable Night. There's a lot more of course but I don't want to go on forever. I would include some more "classic-style" shmups but I'm not familiar enough with them to really know what to recommend. (Hydorah?)

Cho Ren Sha 68K is the best though.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
SapphireDensetsu

Post by SapphireDensetsu »

Shepardus wrote:Welcome! In addition to what BulletMagnet and Sapphire suggested, I would recommend Batsugun (Special version), rRootage, Astebreed, Mecha Ritz, and Imperishable Night. There's a lot more of course but I don't want to go on forever. I would include some more "classic-style" shmups but I'm not familiar enough with them to really know what to recommend. (Hydorah?)

Cho Ren Sha 68K is the best though.
Wing Force would be another good recommendation to ease into the classics.
philsublime

Post by philsublime »

Hi Everyone

Since quite a while I read posts on this forum. Being quite a passive person, I never really felt the urge to participate. However, I recently decided I should probably be a bit more active, as arcade games and shmups in particular are an important part of my life.

I started playing shmups using a crappy supergun. I owned one pcb, and that was raiden fighters. Great game, by the way... After a while, I got the chance to buy a nice Egret2 cab. I started to play more shmups, like strikers 1945, shienryu and terradiver on the st-v and blazing star. Soon after, I got me a nice little collection. At first I prefered the old shmups from the late 80s and early 90s. But recently I discovered the beauty of bullet hell games and cave shmups in particular. I did buy a few cave shooters like dodonpachi, ketsui, ibara, mushihimesama futari bl (international) and dangun feveron.

Unfortunately I was never able to 1cc any of them. I got pretty close with shienryu, however. Now I'm only playing dodonpachi. I use mame to train and then do the runs on my cab. My goal ist not to score as high as possible, but to just 1cc the first loop. Which is hard enough for me...

So yeah, this ist it. I guess I stick around!

Regards, Phil
Sonne

Post by Sonne »

Hello! I discovered the forum when I was looking for tips to play shmups better. After some time reading threads I decided to make an account.
I always liked to play hard games (even if I was not very good at most of them) and one day I saw a Mushihime-sama video of the "Hardest boss ever", this motivated me to play the game.
After Mushihime-sama I met touhou and even if it's not well seen at shmup communities (at least I saw some people not liking it) it is my favorite shooting series. Now I plan to get better at shmups and play more series c:
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Welcome guys!
Pedro Lambrini

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

It's nice to see lots of new people signing up.

Welcome! :)
It's Dangerous! It's Devious! It's...