STG Weekly: Cave Shmupmania Recap

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Softdrink 117

Re: STG Weekly #82 - Mushihimeama on Steam! Degica Interview

Post by Softdrink 117 »

Pasky wrote:So totally ignore the question, k.
Your question was asked on stream, and the answer, as Shepardus says, is that there will be online leaderboards. They are shared internationally. Replays are optional, and are shareable and downloadable.

I wasn't aware that you wanted an answer prior to the episode starting; my apologies.
1CC List | youtube | twitch
I love Ibara.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Kudos to Frenetic ruining the stream talking about Reco's panties (or lack thereof?). :(

E: I wasn't present for the live stream to answer this, but if Cave were to make anything, I would like to see them do a "classic" shmup. Memorization-heavy, long loops, no slowdown. Gradius V was a good example of this, but I'd prefer a vert. A Tatsujin sequel, if that's possible. Hire Tatsuya Uemura to do the music. tygb
trap15

Post by trap15 »

As if CAVE would ever do that.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Was it shown or mentioned on stream whether Mushihimesama on Steam will have unlimited credits off the bat, or if it will use the Arika/5pb time-released credit style? I think that STGs released with unlimited credits have hurt public perception of the genre more than anything else in recent memory; unlockable credits should be used to drive the point home that the game is not "beaten" merely by credit feeding all the way through.
Cee
Banned User

Post by Cee »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
E: I wasn't present for the live stream to answer this, but if Cave were to make anything, I would like to see them do a "classic" shmup. Memorization-heavy, long loops, no slowdown. Gradius V was a good example of this, but I'd prefer a vert. A Tatsujin sequel, if that's possible. Hire Tatsuya Uemura to do the music. tygb
I'd like to see them do a hori with mushi esque mode select to cater to danmaku and classic fans, theme wise anything non pedo would do.
Mr Halibut

Post by Mr Halibut »

theme wise anything non pedo would do.
trap15 wrote:As if CAVE would ever do that.
1up

Post by 1up »

Nice informative episode. So Blackbird mentioned in one of the threads that they plan to port 2 more games if Mushi did well and that it would be games already on xbox 360, as it's easier.

On this episode he said that he suggested that they ported Futari and Ketsui as a lot of fans wanted those but that CAVE wanted Mushi out first as it was the first in the series.

Blackbird said that the next port is already being planned and that an announcement on which game it is would be announced around christmas.

So, maybe the next 2 games on Steam will be Futari and Ketsui?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

They said recently that they're already working on the second title, whatever it is, but haven't decided the third yet. I remember Blackbird mentioning sometime shortly after the first title was revealed to be Mushihimesama that there weren't any plans yet for Futari, so I think it's a likely candidate for the third title but not the second. For the second I'm betting on Daifukkatsu, though Saidaioujou and Deathsmiles seem reasonably likely as well.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Ketsui is highly unlikely, as they didn't publish nor port it themselves.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

emphatic wrote:Ketsui is highly unlikely, as they didn't publish nor port it themselves.
which by itself is a contradiction
remember how DOJ wasnt published nor ported by them? yet they ported it on iOS?
begs the question who actually can do what with them
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Van_Artic wrote:remember how DOJ wasnt published nor ported by them? yet they ported it on iOS?
I see your point. Nice catch.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Van_Artic wrote:begs the question who actually can do what with them
doj and ketsui 360 weren't ported by cave because at that point they were still outsourcing ports to whoever was interested. all of the smartphone ports are by cave themselves.

cave probably still owns the actual new material from these ports, and they'd probably be willing to talk to at least arika and 5pb about their ports.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Van_Artic wrote:which by itself is a contradiction
remember how DOJ wasnt published nor ported by them? yet they ported it on iOS?
This is completely in line with the statements that Cave has already made about the situation.
  • Cave has the right to develop entirely new games/ports based on the DOJ/Ketsui arcade games. This means they would have to write a PC port from the ground up - something they are not entertaining at the current time.
  • MAGES/5pb.Games owns the DOJ (Xbox 360)/Ketsui (Xbox 360/PS3) ports. MAGES/5pb.Games has the right to port these games to PC and Cave thinks that this path would be less work - so bringing these games to PC is pretty much in MAGES/5pb.Games court.
So the main problem is convincing MAGES/5pb.Games that the PC ports are a worthwhile venture. They seem to feel burnt by the lackluster reception of the July 2013 PS3 release of Ketsui and the Xbox 360 DOJ port has a checkered past - the code base may still need some cleanup before a PC port is viable. IMO, given this a PC "Bullet Soul Infinite Burst" would be more likely than a PC DOJ.
system11

Post by system11 »

Probably DFK because it can be DLC'd.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Sasupoika

Post by Sasupoika »

Essentially it'll be previous 360-port made by them. ESPgaluda 2, Futari ( probably not since they just released Mushi, but could be? ), Akai Katana, Deathsmiles, DFK, SDOJ... My guess is on DFK as well, due to the amount of DLC they can whip out and introducing one of their bigger series.
If it'll be any new port, it'll probably be Ibara. I remember them mentioning in older interview that they were considering doing Ibara port instead of Mushihimesama.
I would suck dicks for quality Ibara port, though.

Although, still kinda hoping for ESPra.de. port someday. The game was good, has no port and has some flaws that could be addressed in 1.5 version ( boss milking ).
Plus introduce ESPgaluda's arrange mode-esque arrange mode.
I would buy without second thoughts.
ImageImage
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I think it'll be DFK as well. Especially since it didn't get an official US release.

As a side note, I like the idea of a Hori getting ported since I think that's more palatable to someone with a passing interest in shmups.

Deathsmiles would be a good candidate except it already had a US release. Deathsmiles 2 got a low profile release on Games on Demand but it also sucks so there's that.

Akai Katana is too recent, had a US release, and was not published by CAVE, so that may cause issues.
STGWeekly

Re: STG Weekly #83 - Xevious Series

Post by STGWeekly »

STG Weekly episode #83: Xevious Series

Guest: Erik_Twice
Hosts: Aquas, STGW crew

When: Sunday, November 29th @ 12PM PST (8pm UTC)
What: Xevious Series overview
Where: http://twitch.tv/stgweekly
Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

Its a bit embarrassing to confess that I've never played any Xevious game :oops:

However, I remember when I arrived to the U.S in the mid 90s, seeing a cocktail cab with Xevious, I think. It may have been another game, but I remember really wanting to play it. Am I thinking of another game? The episode said Xevious had its own cabinet so it makes me think it was another game.

A great and necessary episode.
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

I really enjoyed the Xevious show.

It was the first for so many things and was a force for change and improvement.
I often think about it when I consider raiden.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Minty.
More Bromances = safer people
STGWeekly

Re: STG Weekly #84 - Darius Burst Chronicle Saviours

Post by STGWeekly »

Bump (PLEASE NOTE: Different day and different time) -- announcing Darius Burst Chronicle Saviours episode this Saturday, Dec 5th at 4PM PST / 6PM CST / Sunday, Dec 6th 9AM JPT!
Shepardus

Re: STGW #84 - Darius Burst:CS (note different day/time!)

Post by Shepardus »

Is the Strania episode still happening?
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

Yep - next weekend, if I'm not mistaken!

Because we don't have a translator to interview G.Rev live, we submitted the questions to their PR dept in an email, and they will send us responses once they ask the questions to their staff. That'll take a few days.
1CC List | youtube | twitch
I love Ibara.
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

Do you have any good replays of the QUZ route for this? Would be nice to see more of the hardest thing in the game. Well unless there's something harder in the new modes.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

The best I can find on Nico is a 272mil replay (1, 2). WR is listed in the score topic as 351mil.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Chaos Phoenixma wrote:Do you have any good replays of the QUZ route for this? Would be nice to see more of the hardest thing in the game. Well unless there's something harder in the new modes.
I've cleared QUZ and there's definitely harder missions in Chronicle Saviours mode later on. For ACEX the hardest thing is the Chronicle mission that has G.T.B. I guess?
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Hi everyone! Just a reminder that the STGWeekly DariusBurst CS show is about to start. They'll be talking about the basic game mechanics and showcasing a few high-level games.

The show starts on http://www.twitch.tv/stgweekly at 7 PM EST 12/5 (about 15mins from now).

I'll be hanging out for Q&A as well. See you there!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Thanks for having me on again! Always happy to talk about Darius Burst. :3

Also, addendum: players for the replays in appearance order:

Icarus:
- Original Easy, Next [ADH]
- CS Mode, Gaiden
- Original Hard, Second [CFJ]

trap15
- Original Normal, Gaiden [BEI]
- Chronicle Mode, Next
- EX Easy, Assault [ORV]

Zaarock
- EX Hard, Formula [QUZ]
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Really glad you could make it Icarus! I've updated the episode with the players addendum.

--F
Icarus wrote:Thanks for having me on again! Always happy to talk about Darius Burst. :3

Also, addendum: players for the replays in appearance order:

Icarus:
- Original Easy, Next [ADH]
- CS Mode, Gaiden
- Original Hard, Second [CFJ]

trap15
- Original Normal, Gaiden [BEI]
- Chronicle Mode, Next
- EX Easy, Assault [ORV]

Zaarock
- EX Hard, Formula [QUZ]
STGWeekly

Re: STG Weekly episode #85 -Strania on Steam!

Post by STGWeekly »

Bump as we return with Strania with Side Vower included!

Hosts: Frenetic, Aquas, Softdrink 117, Sodamachine
Guests: T4N3, Illyrian
When: Sunday, December 13th @ 10am PST (12 noon CST)
What: Strania & Side Vower on Steam!
Where: http://twitch.tv/stgweekly

STG Weekly returns this week (whoa, back to back weekly eps! :D). We will be joined by T4N3 and Illyrian. We also have a very special treat. G.rev's Maryuama-san and his team have recorded a special video interview replete with subtitles.

See you there!
--STGWeekly
Last edited by STGWeekly on Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NeoStrayCat

Re: STG Weekly episode #85 - Strania on Steam!

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Who, what, where, when? >.>

Oh yeah, have to check the first post, lol. X3
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!