XRGB-mini Framemeister

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
FBX

Re: XRGB-mini Framemeister

Post by FBX »

gutsmanheavy wrote:
FBX wrote:
gutsmanheavy wrote:I got a scart cable to connect my Dreamcast to the mini and I only get audio, what would cause this?
Could be you're trying to play a game that doesn't support RGB. There's a thread about it here:

http://www.bordersdown.net/threads/1153 ... compatible
Did a test with Skies oF Arcadia (PAL RGB confirmed) and nothing, worth noting that it seems to only boot to the DC menu (no picture, only sound) and not into the games themselves. Bad cable?
Did you make sure you got the right adapter? SCART doesn't work with the adapter that comes with the Framemeister, so you have to buy one meant for SCART. I'm sure you already know this, but wanted to check with you on that anyway.
gutsmanheavy

Post by gutsmanheavy »

FBX wrote: Did you make sure you got the right adapter? SCART doesn't work with the adapter that comes with the Framemeister, so you have to buy one meant for SCART. I'm sure you already know this, but wanted to check with you on that anyway.
yeah I run everything through the mini, thanks for the help mate
Kagigod wrote: Did you try increasing the sync level? Base level is like 9 or so, try increasing to 15 or so, until the image appears
This fixed it! Champ!
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Hi all,

Need some help please if possible. I have SNES, Dreamcast, Saturn, Genesis and Jaguar all connected to my Framemeister and working fine. I recently connected my PS2 fat via Luma-sync SCART cable and have had nothing but issues with it. The XRGB keeps losing the signal and/or freezing up. I have to power it down then back on again to get picture. This is happening with both RGB and Component inputs so I don't think it's my cables. I also tested a PS2 slim model and it does the same thing. Also tested using a sync-stripper XRGB adapter. No dice. Is there some special trick to getting PS2 to work properly with this thing?

Thanks,
mario64
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

Anyone have problem with Dodonpachi PCB like mine below?
Everblue

Post by Everblue »

I would like to setup my Framemeister to use with the Commodore 64 (PAL)- unfortunately I've been unable to find any settings/profiles for this system. Any heads up how to start and perhaps any known settings I can use?

Thanks a bunch!
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

mario64 wrote:Hi all,

Need some help please if possible. I have SNES, Dreamcast, Saturn, Genesis and Jaguar all connected to my Framemeister and working fine. I recently connected my PS2 fat via Luma-sync SCART cable and have had nothing but issues with it. The XRGB keeps losing the signal and/or freezing up. I have to power it down then back on again to get picture. This is happening with both RGB and Component inputs so I don't think it's my cables. I also tested a PS2 slim model and it does the same thing. Also tested using a sync-stripper XRGB adapter. No dice. Is there some special trick to getting PS2 to work properly with this thing?

Thanks,
mario64
I have tried multiple PS2s with multiple types of cables over the years and never had anything like what you're describing.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

I didn't think the framemeister supported display on green 480 for the ps2.

I would run them either component into D-terminal. Or component to VGA and then a sync combiner like the toro with the vga adapter.

I am curious why you don't just use your ps2 on component to begin with without the scaler?
Copyright 1987
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Hoagtech wrote:I didn't think the framemeister supported display on green 480 for the ps2.

I would run them either component into D-terminal. Or component to VGA and then a sync combiner like the toro with the vga adapter.

I am curious why you don't just use your ps2 on component to begin with without the scaler?
Thanks for the feedback. I could do that. My receiver will even upscale to 1080p. Only downside is 240p isn't supported so I can't play ps1 games on it.

I do have a Toro but my Dreamcast is connected to it. I assume I'd need to buy a 2nd onle?
FBX

Post by FBX »

Hoagtech wrote:
RGB + Sync on Luma actually looks pretty damn good when running 240p content on the PS2 into the Framemeister, so it's a nice option to have.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

FBX wrote:
Hoagtech wrote:
RGB + Sync on Luma actually looks pretty damn good when running 240p content on the PS2 into the Framemeister, so it's a nice option to have.
And since the Mini's 480i handling is fantastic while the 480p is questionable as all hell, using RGB for 480i/480p games isn't such a bad deal, either.

especially given you'll get a bit more noise if you're using component.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

I would love to use RGB if I could find a way to keep the XRGB from freezing
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

It sounds like you may have a defective unit... Is it still under warranty?
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Guspaz wrote:It sounds like you may have a defective unit... Is it still under warranty?
From my original post "I have SNES, Dreamcast, Saturn, Genesis and Jaguar all connected to my Framemeister and working fine". My Framemeister is not defective. It is possible that my scart cable is though. However, I've had it freeze on ps2 even using component in
FBX

Post by FBX »

mario64 wrote:
Guspaz wrote:It sounds like you may have a defective unit... Is it still under warranty?
From my original post "I have SNES, Dreamcast, Saturn, Genesis and Jaguar all connected to my Framemeister and working fine". My Framemeister is not defective. It is possible that my scart cable is though. However, I've had it freeze on ps2 even using component in
Have you tried messing with the sync level that seems to work for some people? Also try turning auto sync to off and see if that makes any difference. Some PS2 games I imagine like to change resolutions from 480 to 240, and that will cause the Framemeister to black out for several seconds.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

FBX wrote:
mario64 wrote:
Have you tried messing with the sync level that seems to work for some people? Also try turning auto sync to off and see if that makes any difference. Some PS2 games I imagine like to change resolutions from 480 to 240, and that will cause the Framemeister to black out for several seconds.
Thanks FBX. I'm not all that familiar with the sync level setting. It's at 9 currently. How high should I set it? And does increasing it have any downsides or would impact my other connected systems?
Everblue

Post by Everblue »

Everblue wrote:I would like to setup my Framemeister to use with the Commodore 64 (PAL)- unfortunately I've been unable to find any settings/profiles for this system. Any heads up how to start and perhaps any known settings I can use?

Thanks a bunch!
I found the exact screen size in pixel for the C64 here:

http://codebase64.org/doku.php?id=base:visible_area

Considering that including overscan the picture is 312p I would like to integer scale it by x3 (or maybe x4 and have some area from the top and bottom borders cut off). Doing this for a 1080p output resolution.

Can someone help me with the above please? Perhaps FBX :) - I would gladly share the profile once it is done, of course!
FBX

Post by FBX »

mario64 wrote:Thanks FBX. I'm not all that familiar with the sync level setting. It's at 9 currently. How high should I set it? And does increasing it have any downsides or would impact my other connected systems?
Try raising it to 15 or so just to see if there's any improvement. I have found if you raise sync too high, other systems will be affected by it, so keep that in mind. For now though, we want to try and narrow the cause of the problem. Also try sync auto turned off. What this does is disable refresh sync locking, so there will be occasional frame skips if it does work. Lastly of course try to rule out if the game mode-switches between 480i and 240p.
Everblue

Post by Everblue »

Can someone please help me with this. I would like to setup a Framemeister profile so that integer scales 312p x3 (or maybe x4), from what I understand it has to do with this bit, but I cannot understand how it works:

H_POS: 2
          V_POS: 25
          H_WIDTH: 49 <---- What does this mean exactly? (I know it is Horizontal Width, but what is the 49? A %? What is related to :)
          V_WIDTH: 40 <---- What does this mean exactly?
          AUTO_SCALER: OFF
          H_SCALER: 4
          V_SCALER: 7

Thank you :)
FBX

Post by FBX »

Everblue wrote:Can someone please help me with this. I would like to setup a Framemeister profile so that integer scales 312p x3 (or maybe x4), from what I understand it has to do with this bit, but I cannot understand how it works:

H_POS: 2
          V_POS: 25
          H_WIDTH: 49 <---- What does this mean exactly? (I know it is Horizontal Width, but what is the 49? A %? What is related to :)
          V_WIDTH: 40 <---- What does this mean exactly?
          AUTO_SCALER: OFF
          H_SCALER: 4
          V_SCALER: 7

Thank you :)

Edit:

One more thing regarding scanlines. When using FBX profiles, if it is a x4 they look very nice but when using x5 scanlines look very thin, and even when changing the settings for the thickness nothing seems to happen. Is this normal?
Yeah scanlines look bad if you go beyond 4x in 1080p. Speaking of which, if you're not worried about going directly to 1080p, you should try 720 and "SMART_2X" with Zoom turned off.

Getting back to 1080p, you need to put those H_POS, V_POS, H_WIDTH, and V_WIDTH back to their default settings (64, 32, 32, 32). They are a 'last resort' function after you've already done what you can with ZOOM_SET adjustments. Often times when I get as close as I can with the Zoom settings, I end up having to go to Visual_Set and change V_Width to 29 (for NTSC 240p consoles). To find out if I nailed the perfect vertical integer of the console image, I turn scanlines on. If no scanlines are out of place, I know I've got it. If however, there are a few lines colliding, I star making minor adjustments to Zoom_Overscan and Visual_Set's V_Width. Those two combined settings almost always work to make the perfect vertical integer.

Once I've got the perfect vertical integer dialed in, then setting AR is as simple as adjusting ZOOM_H_WIDTH until the AR is as close to my target width as I can get.
Everblue

Post by Everblue »

Thanks a lot, I will try to do it with a C64. If I manage I will send you the profile in case you wish to include it with your repository.

By the way - which bit sets the picture size x3, x4, x5 etc? Do you have to find out mathematically or what?

Thanks again!
FBX

Post by FBX »

Everblue wrote:
By the way - which bit sets the picture size x3, x4, x5 etc? Do you have to find out mathematically or what?

Thanks again!
In the ZOOM_SET functions, ZOOM_OVERSCAN is what you generally use for any integers smaller than the 1080p border. Larger than 1080p, and you'd instead be using ZOOM_SIZE to scale beyond the borders.

And again, you have to use trial and error to dial in the perfect integer, repeatedly checking with the scanline function. However, I found you can get a head start by turning off ZOOM and using SMART_2X mode. With that mode active, I put little pieces of duck tape on the bottom and top edges of the graphic image on my display. Then I turn ZOOM on and start adjusting ZOOM_OVERSCAN until it matches the tape marks on the screen. If it doesn't quite line up, then I know I have to start juggling VISUAL_SET's V_WIDTH in with ZOOM_OVERSCAN until it fits perfectly, again checking with the scanline function for accuracy.

Now with all this said, I don't have access to PAL hardware, and so the process might be different for that region of hardware.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

FBX wrote:
mario64 wrote:
I've done extensive testing and sync level makes no difference. However, setting sync mode from Auto to Off fixes it completely. No more freezes at all. Any downside to leaving this set to Off?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

IIRC the Framemeister won't handle resolution changes with that setting? Or am I misremembering?
Last edited by Guspaz on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Guspaz wrote:IIRC the OSSC won't handle resolution changes with that setting? Or am I misremembering?
I have a Framemeister not OSSC
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Typo, I meant Framemeister.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Guspaz wrote:Typo, I meant Framemeister.
Oh ok. Not sure but so far it seems to be working well
FBX

Post by FBX »

Guspaz wrote:IIRC the Framemeister won't handle resolution changes with that setting? Or am I misremembering?
Actually the opposite:

With "AUTO" you get perfect scrolling, but blackouts during resolution changes.

With "OFF" you avoid the blackouts, but now you have the occasional frame skip like your typical emulator does.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Just got in the 32X and found the Genesis universal profiles work perfectly fine for it. So no need to make new ones.

I will say the Mega Everdrive did NOT like working with it though. I managed to get MK II working for like two minutes, and then it crashed. Couldn't get anything else to properly load after that, and I cleaned all the contacts just to be sure. Removing the 32X and using the ME directly in the Genesis worked fine, so it's something about this particular 32X that it doesn't like.
Grimakis

Post by Grimakis »

Can someone confirm this for me...

Can I connect a 50Hz signal to my Framemeister, and force it to output 60Hz? I know it does some things like 59.94Hz and 60Hz out. Can it do such an adjustment that I can connect a Pal region console to my NTSC region TV, and get the signal timing to match up?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Yes, it can, but most (all?) modern HDTVs support 1080p50 just fine, so you'd get a much better experience with the Framemeister outputting 50Hz, because if you leave it at 60Hz, you'll get very jerky motion.