Shiden

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
n0rtygames

Re: Shiden

Post by n0rtygames »

So er, I'm a little disappointed - had some hype for this game. I just paid $5 for a game that seems to stop recognising my inputs if I die and respawn... also entering my name using a default unity GUI input box? (Which isn't functioning as expected)

This does not bode well for other devs who may wish to ask for a kickstarter/crowdfunding campaign to help raise a bit of money pre-release for various things. You should probably test and fix this stuff :)
facebook: Facebook
gs68

Post by gs68 »

The scoring penalties don't particularly sit well with me. Notably, if you die, you lose points by a large fraction. This means if you die several times in stage 3, you'll have a much smaller score than at the end of stage 1.
pbsk8

Post by pbsk8 »

The power ups are identical to Cho Ren Sha 68k. :roll:
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

In cho ren sha 68k the powerups rotate faster and if you stay in the middle, you get all of them. Was this in your game?
dmitsuki

Post by dmitsuki »

Softdrink 117 wrote:Picked it up and tried it out.

When you die or get hit with a shield active, the controls stop responding. Completely. As in, you have to re-press whatever buttons you are pressing to get them to do anything. So whenever you get shot, you'll stop shooting, which is annoying. But more significantly, when respawning you won't automatically move if you're just holding a direction-- and given the incredibly short respawn invincibility, this means that it is way, way too easy to die multiple times in a row because your ship won't react.
Alright, this is noted, will do something about that.
Cagar wrote:In cho ren sha 68k the powerups rotate faster and if you stay in the middle, you get all of them. Was this in your game?
This isn't in the game.
gs68 wrote:The scoring penalties don't particularly sit well with me. Notably, if you die, you lose points by a large fraction. This means if you die several times in stage 3, you'll have a much smaller score than at the end of stage 1.
I am thinking about implementing a softer penalty.
n0rtygames wrote:So er, I'm a little disappointed - had some hype for this game. I just paid $5 for a game that seems to stop recognising my inputs if I die and respawn... also entering my name using a default unity GUI input box? (Which isn't functioning as expected)

This does not bode well for other devs who may wish to ask for a kickstarter/crowdfunding campaign to help raise a bit of money pre-release for various things. You should probably test and fix this stuff :)
Do your controls completely stop responding and no longer work? If so, can you tell me information about your system, I cannot duplicate this bug.

The GUI box will be out of the game completely too and replaced with a more familiar name input system.

Cagar wrote:Hit me for being stupid, but this .7z is protected with a password? I can't extract the game.
Wasn't your fault, it was a problem with the humble store. So hit ME for being stupid hehe.

GSK wrote:Is there a better link to the storefront, or a website with more detail or something? I wanna share the game around but a lot of people reflexively avoid clicking Kickstarter links, and the Humble Store link is basically just a checkout, so it's hard to show people what's up.
Tomorrow or Thursday there should be a link up on my website, and the game should be purchasable soon on Desura. It will appear here http://www.desura.com/games/shiden
dmitsuki

Post by dmitsuki »

Also, I cannot check this thread often right now because I'm kinda busy and forget to sometimes, so if you have a bug you are experiencing, or feel something is wrong with the way the game plays don't be afraid to send an email to me at contact at garstudios.com I'm currently making a patch to patch out some of the negative things said in this thread and will listen to feature request or anything.