Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BIL

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by BIL »

*hwaaa* Image Hey you're not Edmans :shock:
Lord Satori wrote:Do you seriously not understand what he's try to say here?
Yes, as reiterated above and many times in the past, I understand what he's trying to say here. Understanding does not automatically confer validity! You and he seem to think I'm withholding the latter for a lack of the former.

Also, that story and the one before about his dad not letting him drive were both hilarious, so screw you!
I gotta say, this discussion between you two is simultaneously annoying, entertaining, and pathetic at the same time. I think the worst part is the "I beat the game, so that must mean it isn't flawed at all" logic behind the whole argument.
I think the worst part is the assumption I wouldn't criticise NG's designers if they sent you back to stage 1, or even stage 5, for failing at the climactic gauntlet of stage 6-3. It's simultaneously patronising, pitiful and scrubby as fuck.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

I think the worst part is the assumption I wouldn't criticise NG's designers if they sent you back to stage 1, or even stage 5, for failing at the climactic gauntlet of stage 6-3. It's simultaneously patronising, pitiful and scrubby as fuck.
Yeah, I can't see the problem either. The game is the way it is. Put your best hard hat on, get in there and make it your bitch, rather than allow it to make one out of you.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BIL

Post by BIL »

Skykid wrote:Put your best hard hat on, get in there and make it your bitch, rather than allow it to make one out of you.
Word. EDMOND: BE ATTITUDES FOR GAINS

1) BE THE MAN

2) GET THE GIRL (DAT'S SEXIST :O )

3) MANLY TEARZ ;_;7

Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Came across my old Mario Kart 64 manual and it's written in there that the lightweight karts have a slightly higher top speed compared to the other karts. Wtf?

Back in the day I took this by heart and exclusively used the lightweights, and considered the heavyweights to be completely useless. It was only after playing the SNES Mario Kart some months ago that I realized the heavyweights are faster.

Now I wish I could play Mario Kart 64 again and see If I could break my old Toad record in Mario Raceway - 1:24.25 (no shorcuts, no cutting grass).
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

Non-matching audio gear really scares the crap out of a hi-fi n00b like me...
Especially since I'm trying to get good sound without emptying my wallet more than necessary.

For about a month, I've had a small AudioEngine N22 amplifier on my new desktop setup instead of an old Denon surround amp/reciever that simply was a bit too clunky for desktop use. However, I kept the using the same speakers, some kind of studio monitors by a company called "Gale", that I got for cheap last summer. They've served me really well and at times really surprised me paired with my old Denon.
However, with the N22, they sounded flat and not very engaging.

Now I've got a pair of replacement speakers, some old Mordaunt-Short MS3.10 speakers and thankfully, they sound better paired with the N22. *phew* Would like to try another "desktop amp" but for being so small, they're not exactly cheap...

The old speakers & Denon amp combo have reunited in the retro game corner :mrgreen:
CHECKPOINT!
KAI

Post by KAI »

Internet
StealthRUSH

Post by StealthRUSH »

This.

PCエンジン ■ セガサターン ■ シーディーロム² ■ プレイステーション ■ ドリームキャスト
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

BIL wrote:Yes, as reiterated above and many times in the past, I understand what he's trying to say here.
Except you clearly don't.
When I mentioned The Last Battle and how it was a brawler with RPG elements that has no restart points, extra lives or continues at all and you can actually get trapped in unwinnable situations, your response was "that sounds interesting!" So yes you do come off like you wouldn't criticize NG if it sent you back to stage 1 or 5.

Of course, as usual pointing this out is a sign that I'm a SCRUB SCRUB SCRUB. That seems to be the only point you know--any time someone says something inconvenient for you, just accuse them of scrubbery and that magically makes you right!
Lord Satori wrote:
BIL wrote:
Edmond Dantes wrote:It reminds me of something my mom used to do to my sister. At first my sister was only allowed to cook pastas, but then mom allowed her to cook meats... and she fucked up. So then my mom told her she can't cook meat again until she had more experience with pasta. But pasta and meat are cooked in entirely different ways (much like a platform segment and a boss segment are different things) so what happened is sis wound up great at one but poor at another, and mom never thought to question her own methods.
What is it with you and veerings off into tales of your dastardly parents? :lol:
Do you seriously not understand what he's try to say here?

I gotta say, this discussion between you two is simultaneously annoying, entertaining, and pathetic at the same time. I think the worst part is the "I beat the game, so that must mean it isn't flawed at all" logic behind the whole argument.
Thank you, Satori. It's nice to know there are sane people here.

Working on one last response to BIL [its gonna be a video, since BIL apparently can't parse text that well], in between trying to get good at Fatal Fury 2/Special and 3 (the original Fatal Fury is piss-easy, although maybe I should try to beat it without manipulating the glitch).

One thing that annoys me about cats [no, that's not a snipe]. You put down a pile of food for one cat, and THEY ALL run to that pile. Then you put down a second pile and THEY ALL run to that pile, except maybe one or two. It's like they compulsively run to the new pile instead of just eating what's already there. I know cats aren't exactly human (except for my Yoyo, who has the intelligence to match several humans) but still.

Also, Hughesnet's bullshit download limits. I want to download all of Chojin Sentai Jetman, dammit. -__-
The resident X-Multiply fan.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Edmond Dantes wrote:When I mentioned The Last Battle and how it was a brawler with RPG elements that has no restart points, extra lives or continues at all and you can actually get trapped in unwinnable situations, your response was "that sounds interesting!" So yes you do come off like you wouldn't criticize NG if it sent you back to stage 1 or 5.
Hmm!
I, in the esteemed Ninja Gaiden Topic wrote:MD Hokuto no Ken sounds like a bitch, but I've never been compelled to play it so I can't comment. I know Ruldra likes it and he's awesome so I might give it a shot sometime.
Right slippery bugger, that "reality" thing... Image
Edmond Dantes wrote:Working on one last response to BIL [its gonna be a video, since BIL apparently can't parse text that well]
I'm flattered to be the subject of another forum member's "work," Edmans. Then again, I guess you're just returning the favour. I hope your video is as good as mine! You must be pretty sharp at 6-3 by now after watching my replay, right?

edit: why not post in the NG topic instead of rudely ignoring spadgy's instructions, btw? I'm a total elitist prick so it's to be expected of me, but you're allegedly sane.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Edmond Dantes wrote: Thank you, Satori. It's nice to know there are sane people here.
Surprised there's no way of seeing the other point of view in this argument. Games come in all shapes and sizes, and difficulties. NG happens to be a solidly made game - it doesn't suffer from glaring collision detection issues or laggy controls: it gives you everything you need to beat it.

I just can't fathom why you would consider the game flawed because it sets you back to the start of the final stage - that happens in absolutely tons of games of the era, primarily to make it a climactic finale rather than a continue-on-the-boss fest until you finally stumble through.

Let's face it, these aren't complicated games. You just run along, jump occasionally and slash at things. So it's a lot more interesting to have the player completely commit the final sections and bosses to memory and then feel proud for overcoming the odds, right?

I'm a bit confused as to why this would ever be considered a design flaw rather than a decision.

Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

The word "flaw" doesn't really imply that the game is bad, or horribly broken, it just means there's an imperfection. It just so happens that this one happened to work out for the designers and they left it in, and its minor enough that most people can get over said flaw with enough practice. I haven't kept track of the whole conversation, but I think Edmond mentioned it here is because this thread is for annoying things. If I kept dying and was sent back to the beginning every time, I'd get pretty pissed off, too. Then BIL swoops in and turns into a full blown debate/NG Thread 2.0.

I finally beat Super Mario Sunshine a couple weeks ago. (albeit with the help of Action Replay, but still) I gotta say one of the WORST things about that game is the music that plays when you die. (those fucking cowbells omfg) I'm glad to have that game done and over with.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Lord Satori wrote:It just so happens that this one happened to work out for the designers
Good news, everyone! I accidentally used all of your favorite juices in my latest attempt at fusion in a flask. But it turns out I didn't want cold fusion anyway, because it might have DESTROYED THE WORLD, so instead I have made the world's tastiest mixed drink! Science for everyone, cheers!

I am definitely on board with the notion that we shouldn't dignify innovations or inventions made by mistake, like Penicillin, by being unafraid to call them what they are - mistakes! That'll teach 'em to be careless. Evolution: When can we put an end to the madness?!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Selective readings. Image
I haven't kept track of the whole conversation, but I think Edmond mentioned it here is because this thread is for annoying things. If I kept dying and was sent back to the beginning every time, I'd get pretty pissed off, too. Then BIL swoops in and turns into a full blown debate/NG Thread 2.0.
You are gravely mistaken, Satori-kun! Journey with me back to last Sunday...
Lord Satori wrote:The word "flaw" doesn't really imply that the game is bad, or horribly broken, it just means there's an imperfection. It just so happens that this one happened to work out for the designers and they left it in, and its minor enough that most people can get over said flaw with enough practice.
It did appear accidentally, like DMC's juggling. But as with that, NG's designers decided it had something to offer. At that point it stopped being a developmental flaw and became a design decision. That's why it's also in NGII and NGIII. You can argue it's a flaw in the sense of a bad design decision, sure. I don't care what others think, to me it's just another hurdle to clear.

But when you start using words like "unfair" or calling those of us who can handle the pressure "stuck-up," BIL swoops in and turns into a full blown debate/NG Thread 2.0... Image
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

DmC's juggling (which I am nowhere near mastering - I'm still figuring out the taunts) is a case where a "mistake," from Onimusha, spawned a new series. If all mistakes were only this stubbornly good!
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Lots of video game mechanics actually start as bugs :lol:

I'm 99% sure that "double-jump" came about from a programmer implementing jumping and forgetting (or waiting until jumping works in the first place) to make it so that you can't jump again until you land, and thinking "hey, this would be cool!"
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Think of the untold millions in illegitimate revenue reaped by SFII: TWW's accidental cancel mechanic establishing the entire 2D fighting genre as we know it... crummy design flaws, that money should be mine! :evil:
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

I'm pretty sure when a 'flaw' is left in on purpose, it ceases to be a flaw and becomes a design decision.

BIL

Post by BIL »

DON'T TELL EDMANS THAT

(ps: the bump on Gynoug Dickman's dick in my sig pic was initially an accident, but I thought it gave the shaft more definition so I left it, and now I have the best sig on the forum)
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Back on topic kinda ( :) ):

How this forum switches from being awesome to being bitching and back every couple months. Admittedly, it's stopped being awesome in Shmups Chat for a fair while now and I'm not sure if it'll ever go back to decent, but I notice this with Off Topic a lot. When some big thing happens, OT goes to shit for a few months, then it gradually comes back to normal and everyone's fuckin' awesome and I love coming here. Then a few months later something big happens again and we repeat the cycle.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

BIL wrote:But when you start using words like "unfair" or calling those of us who can handle the pressure "stuck-up," BIL swoops in and turns into a full blown debate/NG Thread 2.0... Image
Once more BIL is twisting words to suit his own ends. He knows damn well that he's being called "stuck up" because he gives people a hard time about not agreeing with him or preferring to put their time and effort into other games, not his personal favorite. But that would make him sound dickish, so he instead invents "I'm stuck up because I can handle pressure."

Hey, funny thing, I can handle pressure too! (As proven by that I'm even still here). But oh, in the book of BIL, it doesn't count unless I'm putting my time, effort and discipline into what HE wants, vs whatever I'm interested in! (Which, at the moment, is PC and Neo-Geo games).

The real hilarious thing is that he badmouths my skills at Ninja Gaiden, when in his video he got hit by a machinegun guy I dodged easily, missed a weapon (leading to having troubles with a soldier near a respawn point) who I took out easily, at several points got knocked around or pointlessly wasted time, at one point stood stock-still for five seconds and let himself be hit for what appears to be no reason. And these are hardly the only goofs.

Blah blah you weren't playing your best that day excuses excuses. Yeah, you beat Act VI, but the point is you should've easily outperformed me in Acts I-V too, considering I had only owned the game for a week at that point and you've owned it since you were a kid. As it is the only problem you really saw in my vid was I whiffed my timing a couple of times. I have nothing to learn from you, and in fact your video actually confirmed for me that my "artificially difficult due to the restart point" criticism was entirely correct.

Hey Satori, how much you wanna bet that pointing this out and essentially challenging him to record a better NG run is gonna be called "scrubby" now? :D

BACK ON TOPIC BIT FOR THOSE WHO DON'T CARE ABOUT SHIT

Umm, I guess that Neo-Geo games are expensive. Then again, games for any really worthwhile console are expensive these days.

How guilty I feel whenever I bathe my cat. She takes it like she's been tortured.

That the HAPPY Video Game Nerd doesn't update often enough, and usually its one of his lame "Is It Really That Bad?" episodes which I don't give a shit about.
The resident X-Multiply fan.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Edmond Dantes wrote:He knows damn well that he's being called "stuck up" because he gives people a hard time about not agreeing with him or preferring to put their time and effort into other games, not his personal favorite.
"People?" Plural? Names! Undoubtedly more noobs and scrubs who didn't know their limitations. 凸(`⌒´メ)凸
Edmond Dantes wrote:The real hilarious thing is that he badmouths my skills at Ninja Gaiden, when in his video he got hit by a machinegun guy I dodged easily, missed a weapon (leading to having troubles with a soldier near a respawn point) who I took out easily, at several points got knocked around or pointlessly wasted time, at one point stood stock-still for five seconds and let himself be hit for what appears to be no reason. And these are hardly the only goofs.

Blah blah you weren't playing your best that day excuses excuses. Yeah, you beat Act VI, but the point is you should've easily outperformed me in Acts I-V too, considering I had only owned the game for a week at that point and you've owned it since you were a kid. As it is the only problem you really saw in my vid was I whiffed my timing a couple of times. I have nothing to learn from you, and in fact your video actually confirmed for me that my "artificially difficult due to the restart point" criticism was entirely correct.
You've tried this classic scrub dissociative technique already Edmans, check the thread before you embarrass yourself again with another half-recollected quote. Whiffs were far from the only issue apparent in your replay, that thing was rotten to the core. CTRL+F "beatings" for the blanket term applied to your appallingly poor and tedious to observe handling of Act VI (I've also bolded and highlighted in red the relevant text).

It's certainly convenient just being able to c/p directly from the thread, though it'd be better if we discussed this in the thread itself! Sorry spadgy and Skykid - I honestly thought this would be a minor wind-up, not an ongoing self-immolation!
BIL wrote:
Edmond Dantes wrote:I honestly had a lot of questions about your playthru. While I admit it was impressive that you went through the game on one life, up until Act 5 I didn't feel particularly impressed. You stopped to fight enemies you could've just run past (particularly noticable in 1-1), and you took hits that I avoided in my own playthru (the machine gun guys in 3-2). I also noticed more than a few times where you sliced air or accidentally did a backwards jump.
I'm feeling like you're ignoring me here.
Colonel William 'BIG WILLY' Rizer wrote:I get hit quite a few times in the safer areas of my run (part 1 going up now), know why? BECAUSE I DIDN'T GIVE A SHIT :O Any time getting hit means death, I don't get hit.
As I said over and over, it's a sloppy run. Not even worthy of the name "kusoplay." Total work about 25 minutes after not touching the game (or much of anything 2D) for several months. There were a few missed or incorrect inputs and other errors, but so what? Those were all on me. My point is there's nothing wrong or inconsistent with the way the game processes inputs, collisions, etc like you were suggesting earlier.

I can play far better than this when I'm enjoying myself, or trying to create something impressive, but this was a case of neither.

Besides my screwy, inconsistent playing, you should really be noticing how I avoided the beatings that led to you taking 30 minutes on Act VI and no-missed the game in ~20 as an afterthought.
So, how's that Act VI coming along? Any improvements? Still taking you fifteen minutes and four credits to reach the boss rush? Image

Edmond Dantes wrote:Hey Satori, how much you wanna bet that pointing this out and essentially challenging him to record a better NG run is gonna be called "scrubby" now? :D
Do not entice Satori-kun into your nefarious gambling, cat-bothering ways, Edmans! The System11 Ryukenden Task Force has nothing to prove to a blubbering, shamelessly grasping scrub like you.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Get on our level before you even think of issuing challenges to us. Image
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Color dithering in PSP games. It's so nasty, like the game really should be running in a higher color depth.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

trap15 wrote:Lots of video game mechanics actually start as bugs :lol:

I'm 99% sure that "double-jump" came about from a programmer implementing jumping and forgetting (or waiting until jumping works in the first place) to make it so that you can't jump again until you land, and thinking "hey, this would be cool!"
Getsu Fuuma Den's air-jumping out of pits also could have started this way (in the TMNT games maybe?) - it's clearly part of the game though.
BIL

Post by BIL »

JAPJAC is banned. ;_;

In Memoriam
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Mon Dieu! Now who will remind us unwashed Angles of our Francophone shortcomings?
Ji-L87 wrote:Non-matching audio gear really scares the crap out of a hi-fi n00b like me...
It's not just that. When the standards for resistance (Ohms) of consumer gear were set out in the '90s, an absurd value was used (not that anybody uses it anymore), and I think as a result of that we get all kinds of unmatched impedance and distortion from mismatched settings. I'm sure amplifier manufacturers like it though!
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

lol, wow. I probably should've kept my mouth shut about the whole NG thing. I haven't even played the damned thing. :mrgreen:
BIL wrote:JAPJAC is banned. ;_;

In Memoriam
Thats a shame. He was a pain in the ass when he was here, but I miss him now that he's gone.

Anyway, theres a bug in BOTH psp Breakquest games where if you lose, the music volume is LOWERED! WTF! So every time I lose, I have to go to the damned options screen and crank the music volume back up. I'm glad I finally beat them so I won't have to deal with it again.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Lord Satori wrote:He was a pain in the ass when he was here, but I miss him now that he's gone.
Do you feel a sense of loss after every trash day, too?
drauch

Post by drauch »

Shmups forum without JAPJAC is like He-man without Skeletor.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

drauch wrote:Shmups forum without JAPJAC is like He-man without Skeletor.
Skeletor was smarter.

BIL

Post by BIL »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Mon Dieu! Now who will remind us unwashed Angles of our Francophone shortcomings?
Someone must step up to the plate... the question is, can an American (or, sacre bleu, an Englishman) play his iconic role?