List of Dreamcast Games that Do Not Support RGB Scart.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
retrogeek777

List of Dreamcast Games that Do Not Support RGB Scart.

Post by retrogeek777 »

Hi all , is their one out there if there is could you please post a Link many thanks.
HydrogLox

Re: List of Dreamcast Games that Do Not Support RGB Scart.

Post by HydrogLox »

I'm not aware of any games that do not support SCART RGB but the question tends to be whether a game outputs 240p or 480i on it (or whether 480p is supported via VGA).
So what is this question about?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Japanese version of SF Zero 3 for example does NOT support RGB output. Composite, s-video and VGA only. There's at least one title which does not even support RGB *or* VGA.

Same for japanese Skies of Arcadia, no RGB cable support.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Same for japanese Skies of Arcadia, no RGB cable support.
oh crap. do you know if it supports vga output unlike the pal release? (or was it the the ntsc-u/c release that didn't support vga? maybe both? been a while since i checked up on the matter)
Last edited by ryu on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

yes, it does.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Fudoh wrote:yes, it does.
that's nice. i'm an idiot still, considering that there was a gamecube version too which would have resolved the matter for me anyways :)
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Fudoh wrote:Japanese version of SF Zero 3 for example does NOT support RGB output.
My mistake. Of course the Dreamcast has three video modes, Standard Mode, 15kHz RGB (SCART), and 31kHz RGB (VGA). For some reason I rolled Standard and 15kHz RGB into one and assumed that it would always be supported :?.
retrogeek777

Post by retrogeek777 »

I wanted to use a Dreamcast with XRGB Mini when I heard their were Games that didn't support RGB I was kinda disappointed . If its only a small amount of games that's fine if not il leave Dreamcast to Rot away unfortunately lol. I've read on something about creating a custom vga box which you can use to switch between RGB 480i and 480p VGA to work around the problem . Do they work well with the XRGB mini. How much would someone charge to have it built for me.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

retrogeek777 wrote:I've read on something about creating a custom vga box which you can use to switch between RGB 480i and 480p VGA to work around the problem.
That would not work for rare games that only support "Standard Mode" - for those you would have to break out the composite or S-video AV cable. But for any game that supports either 15kHz RGB (SCART), 31kHz RGB (VGA) or both you can use the Kuro/UMSA combo. For details see:

Which Dreamcast vga box should I buy?
XRGB-mini Framemeister (now available !)

Note: Beharius indicated that he may start selling a cable with a sync-combiner for the Kuro/Hanzo sometime in the future - that would probably be cheaper than the UMSA.

Personally I've found that 31kHz RGB (VGA) tends to look better straight into the display (if a VGA input is present) - for 15kHz RGB (SCART 240p/480i) the XRGB-Mini is the way to go.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Super Street Fighter IIX and Vampire Chronicle, both for Matching Service, don't support RGB and will only show the top-left quadrant of the picture. They do support VGA though.

I have both an RGB cable and VGA box, and everything I've played has worked on one or the other. It's a safe bet there are DC games out there that only support standard video but are any of them worthwhile?
retrogeek777

Post by retrogeek777 »

So to summarize I need a Dreamcast VGA Box that I Can connect to the XRGB Mini to give me 480p on games that support VGA mode. Sorry to sound like a simpleton

Hydroglox you mentioned one on your post will these do for what I quoted in my above sentence
retrogeek777

Post by retrogeek777 »

I found this is this what I need ?

http://wp1114205.server-he.de/xtcmodifi ... ucts_id=57

I saw a Dreamcasts on eBay modded with a VGA socket so I bought a VGA cable and Scart to Scart lead would this work ?
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

retrogeek777 wrote:I saw a Dreamcasts on eBay modded with a VGA socket so I bought a VGA cable and Scart to Scart lead would this work ?
The idea is to have both 15kHz and 31kHz RGB (switch selectable) go through the DE-15 connector (in which case you don't need the RGB SCART AV cable) - then the UMSA can be used as a sync combiner in either 15/31 kHz mode to feed the video into the XRGB-Mini via its RGB input. That is why I recommended the Kuro/Hanzo that can be used on any Dreamcast.
retrogeek777 wrote:I found this is this what I need ?

http://www.arcadeforge.de/product_info. ... ucts_id=57
Yes - it is kind of overkill as it only acts as a sync combiner (active/passive) in front of the XRGB-Mini RGB input - if you know someone handy with electronic components and cables they could probably make a DE-15 to Mini-DIN 8 cable for use with the Kuro/Hanzo and XRGB-Mini. However the UMSA is one of the cheaper "just-buy-it" solutions that I know of.
retrogeek777

Post by retrogeek777 »

Thanks so if I purchase the Kuro/Hanzo I won't need a Scart cable correct ?
But I will need a custom Built DE-15 To Mini Din 8 Cable are these two all I need?

Would I also need the UMSA Sync Combiner also ???? along with the above ?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If you build yourself an adapter cable anyway, you can use a passive sync combiner circuit inside. You don't need the UMSA.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The Japanese DC GD-Rom disc of Konami's Pop N' Music doesn't support RGB nor does it support VGA output whatsoever...it's only composite video or S-Video output only.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

The same for Gunbird 2. :(
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

really ? It's been a very long time since I played the DC version, but I would have bet that it's just RGB-incompatible, but supports VGA just fine. At least the PS2 version is an adequate replacement.
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

I'm going by memory too, but I'm pretty sure Gunbird 2 was the only reason I still own a Dreamcast S-Video lead.
nZero

Post by nZero »

Fudoh wrote:really ? It's been a very long time since I played the DC version, but I would have bet that it's just RGB-incompatible, but supports VGA just fine. At least the PS2 version is an adequate replacement.
Gunbird 2 doesn't support VGA on the Dreamcast. You can force it to run in VGA with the switch trick, but it results in excessive extra slowdown and incorrect placement of some sprites.
antron

Post by antron »

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 62#p839962

Capcom had a habit of disabling RGB for their games if it detected that it was playing on a non Japanese console. 3S and gunbird 2 can be patched to re-enable it, perhaps Z3 can too.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

that's definitely not true. Japanese Bangai-Oh does 15khz RGB, but no VGA.
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

I suggest TC make a list of DC games not supporting RGB scart. Some games come off my head when reading this:

1. Gigawing (Pal excepted)
2. RE:CV

I'll do some test run when I have the time.
retrogeek777

Post by retrogeek777 »

How does S-Video Compare to RGB Video on the Dreamcast using XRGB Mini?

Is their much difference between S-Video and RGB on a XRGB Mini / Dreamcast Combo???

Am I correct in assuming S-Video will work with all Dreamcast Games with any issues

If S-Video is good quality picture I think il to for that connection
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I wouldn't use s-video. It's kinda acceptable for a low-res game running in 240p, but on the DC we're talking about 480i in 99% of the cases. You should ALWAYS use VGA were possible and fall back to RGB when neccessary. I think we established that there are very few titles running neither in VGA nor RGB.