The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Found it interesting to learn that if you boot up the USA region Gaiares cart (released by Renovation Products of Los Gatos, CA fame) on a JPN region MD console, the in-game text will display in Japanese. And in English if booted up on a USA region Genny console indeed. Fascinating but true.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
BIL

Post by BIL »

You can also have JP text on a US machine or vice versa by holding A and pressing start to access the charmingly named "Configration Mode." ;]
Last edited by BIL on Thu May 09, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Holy shit, there's a new Shinobi for 3DS!? O_o Complete passed me by...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Found it interesting to learn that if you boot up the USA region Gaiares cart (released by Renovation Products of Los Gatos, CA fame) on a JPN region MD console, the in-game text will display in Japanese. And in English if booted up on a USA region Genny console indeed. Fascinating but true.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Yeah. A few games do that. Forgotten Worlds, Quackshot, Truxton, some versions of Mystic Defender, Fire Shark, and a few others play the JP version of the game in Japanese MD mode. What's interesting is that the JP Herzog Zwei plays in English no matter which system you play it on. US Ghouls 'N Ghosts is another game that doesn't need a game genie, JP system, or region switch to play the Japanese version (there's a hidden code).
BIL

Post by BIL »

WHOAMG. :o I had no idea you get ~2 seconds invincibility per weapon change / upgrade in Slap Fight (AC or MD)! Super aggressive bulky ship action ensues! Zipping around the screen in a boss-sized ship doing crazy shit! Feels pretty good equipping L3 Bomb, rushing through a wall of bullets to carpetbomb the turret wall that fired them, then clamping on Shot and pointblanking the shit out of a monster tank. Feels rather ComPlan.

Been playing arcade mode like crazy, working out how to always have the right weapon for each area's bonuses. F space trucking, this is space gardening. And strategically letting a wing get blown off for greater maneuverability or more invincibility flash is almost as cool as self-destructing them in MD mode. The winged Laser ship sure does remind me of the Judge Spear.

Awesome cart. Just the AC mode would've made me happy, but MD mode is almost like an original console-exclusive Toaplan shooter. I just hope the PCB isn't made of finely aged cheese like some NTSCU Grind Stormers' apparently are. Hasn't died yet, watch this space!

I like how in this and Same Same MD, Toaplan handled the lack of a full 3:4 view by making the top edge of the screen the playfield's new limit. Sometimes it makes things easier than the PCB, allowing less enemies simultaneously in play, other times it does the exact reverse by preventing you picking apart formations from long range. But either way, it always feels completely natural. Tried out the FM Towns version of Hishouzame, and despite it being undeniably fun, I spent much of the time exchanging fire with "offscreen" enemies who'd never enter view before one of us died. Ugh. Ving's Saturn Taito ports rock, but they really missed a trick there.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

BIL, did you get the cart or are we talking emulators here?

I only ask cos the cart is known to be on the expensive side :shock:
One of the best MD shooters out there IMHO.
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
BIL

Post by BIL »

I own the game - it's one of the pricier MD STGs for sure, but I figure it's balanced out by all the Toaplan PCBs I'll never buy. :mrgreen: Everyone needs a mortal character flaw, and mine is a hellish obsession with getting stuff I love CIB. OTOH stuff like Divine Sealing can eat a dick, it's never about rarity / collector prestige for me. My most loved MD shooter overall is Same Same and it's relatively worthless.

I just hope the thing doesn't have Grind Stormer's Sudden Cart Death Syndrome on me, but it seems NTSCJ Tengen cartridges are as sound as your typical MD softs. Just a sec, have to knock on my desk.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

I have VV as well, and I thought I remembered that it was said that the NTSCJ versions had the issue, although I could be wrong :)

And Slap Fight is worth every cent that one could pay, especially taking into consideration the exclusive MD mode, and the fact that the whole package is probably twice as good as most other MD shooters anyway IMO.

It also has one of the hardest covers of any MD game I have seen 8)
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
BIL

Post by BIL »

I asked around here and did some googling, but the only other info I could find on dodgy Tengen carts was a report of a dead Gauntlet IV (and a US-only bug in their localisation of Devil Crash MD). Couldn't find anything on their JP carts, specifically SFMD, V-V, Snow Bros and Gauntlet JP... the last three are on my list so I still look about occasionally, but eh. Man and cart both have to die someday! Tengen, for hardcore gamers who want more danger in their life.

edit: actually, I seem to recall the faulty Grind Stormers were DOA, as opposed to working for a bit before dying. Will have to refresh my memory.

Yeah, SFMD's cover is about as stone-facedly "FUCK 'EM" as spaceship-themed shooters get. That's not a ship, it's a monstrous space chariot of death-encrusted metal.

Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Damnit, and I just went through the wash at the refill station, too! Do you suppose I can get a refund if I prove the machine is actually metal encrusted death?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Use your Slap Fight MD Owner's Card, they'll know what's up. ;] Fully endorsed by the Bank of Tengen, underwritten by Atari Games! Just don't leave it on your dash, for god's sake. Thing will look like a s'more holocaust.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Speaking of MD arcade ports with cool exclusive modes... MD Senjou no Okami II / MERCS arrange mode is fucking rad. Easily worth owning the cart for, even if you already have the arcade-perfect port on Capcom Generation 4. Plays like a coinop action-RPG in super manly 80s action movie style. Forget girly stuff like VALKYRIE NO DENSETSU or that WONDER BOY II where some poof runs around in his panties scraping up enough coins for a jockstrap! It's all about recruiting guys with names like BURNER and LASER and upgrading their hardware to tank-sodomising extremes while mowing through what seems like several Metal Slugs' worth of enemy infantry and machines. The fuckers even bust out the WMD later on so you might want to buy a gasmask.

Assuming you do the honourable thing and stick it on HARD from the get-go, that is. Seriously, do it. The enemy presence is relentless. They out ta get me! You'll be slaughtering grunts by the dozen from the get-go. If founding MERCS member CAPT.RIFLE seems a bit slow initially, it's because you've not got the all-important speed-upgrading ARMY BOOTS item yet. Exploring off the beaten track (while shooting enemies) is important!

Sega did really well here. Arrange mode even includes an all-new OST, and it's pretty damn good. They nailed the screen formatting too. I've not bothered with the arcade mode yet, since the arrange mode is so fun and well-designed.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BIL wrote:Forget girly stuff like VALKYRIE NO DENSETSU or that WONDER BOY II where some poof runs around in his panties scraping up enough coins for a jockstrap!
fucking lost it

i guess this is a bad time to admit I have a copy of Monster World IV on the way, I wanted a second MWIII as well. I'll try and make sure the girly shit doesn't rub off on me. Cooties!

In reality I'm more stoked to play Bloodlines again, or Vampire Killer the first time, maybe. Just listened to Calling From Heaven earlier, that'll do it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I technically have the MD Wonder Boys/Monster Worlds on PS2, via M2's excellent AGES 2500 disc, but I actually was considering picking up MWIV on cart. Played fairly far into it with the aid of a FAQ for the occasional language barriers, good stuff. Bought the disc mainly for AC Wonder Boy though. Now there's a man who can wear a grass skirt with aplomb.

That's a hell of a disc, actually... even though I've since picked up carts of the Treasure Box trio, I'll never part with that disc either (even if it didn't also include NTSCU versions). M2 were on fire in the latter volumes of that series. Apparently Hideki Kamiya (of Capcom/Clover/Platinum) loves the second WB, and it has some novelty as a coinop sidescrolling ARPG, so I'm glad it's in the set too. Haven't spent much time with it though, never got the Boy past his tighty whities stage. Come to think of it Valkyrie's in my library too via Namco Museum 5. I'm such a weenie! I got it for Dragon Spirit, I swear! What? Yes that is a Prikura Daisakusen calendar on my desk :oops:

Seems I was a bit over-refreshed when trying out Senjou no Okami II's Original Mode this morning, as I didn't notice it has its own Options setting. Thought I was playing on Hard, but was actually Normal. :shock: Sega definitely didn't hold back, it's about as tough as the genuine arcade game with the increased health/powerup opportunities reining in the difficulty. Original's Hard mode is flat-out crazy with enemies constantly spawing behind you while you're busy fighting missile-raining APCs, and it unfortunately has tons of slowdown. But it's the sort of thing you'd save for a trial having mastered the default setting and learned lots of life-saving tricks, Normal is more than sufficient on its own. Fantastic cart overall. The MD's Arcade mode actually plays pretty close to the real thing too, albeit singleplayer only. Sega's Capcom MD ports are quality stuff... if Strider, DaiMakaimura and Forgotten Worlds had similar arrange modes I'd snap 'em up pronto.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

I think Mega Drive Mercs' original mode is the best game of it's kind, even better than Neo Geo Shock Troopers.
BIL

Post by BIL »

It's definitely way up there - just cleared Original Normal and immediately moved onto Hard, I love this. :o

It does chug a bit when tons of enemies are onscreen, but survival depends on avoiding this scenario (and the hail of bullets, grenades and suicide bombers it brings) to begin with, and it runs fine otherwise. The increased roaming ability, strategic character management, and original bosses+enemies make me like this even better than the AC game. The new soundtrack is brilliant too, particularly the requiem-ish last stage BGM.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Leandro wrote:I think Mega Drive Mercs' original mode is the best game of it's kind, even better than Neo Geo Shock Troopers.
Damn, that's an impressive recommend. I definitely have to try this then.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Finished MD SnOII Original on Hard - good stuff. There are a couple things I'd alter; first, it's a bit too easy to just run past heavy artillery once you get Rifle's speed up. I'd have preferred you were either forced to fight to proceed, or penalised with less cash for upgrades. I guess Sega knew who they were developing for, though.

There are three tanks up ahead. Tick a box.
[ ] RUN PAST THEM LIKE A WEENIE (I LIKE METAL GEAR)
[✓] KILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS OR DIE TRYING

Second, the last boss is a bit wimpy. Would've preferred a Raidenesque behemoth, a nice deathtank or genocidetrain. Several of the preceding boss battles are a lot more impressive, mechanically and artistically (especially the desert and naval war machines). Hard to complain about the slight winding-down too much though, it's a considerably tough run with virtually nonstop carnage from start to finish.

The treasure-hunting aspect is really great - nothing's particularly hard to find, but it's easy to hightail it right past a lot of vitally useful equipment like flak jackets and gasmasks stashed behind destructible scenery, within hidden pathways or simply just outside of your viewpoint. Replaying knowing the best routes to take for maximum cash and gear is pretty satisfying too.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Didn't know about the Arranged Mode on MD Senjou No Okami II / MERCS. Will definitely be checking it out!

Just ordered FZ Zenki Axis. Any thoughts on that one?
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

CIT wrote:Didn't know about the Arranged Mode on MD Senjou No Okami II / MERCS.
My two cents on that one? Honestly, a poor replacement for the three player action of the coin-op. They could have squeezed in two player mode easily, at the very least. The Amiga conversion fared much better in this regard. Maybe it's the nostalgia effect, but I can't really enjoy this title playing alone. :/

I DO admit though that the arrange mode has some nice tunes!
X - P - B
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Leandro wrote:I think Mega Drive Mercs' original mode is the best game of it's kind, even better than Neo Geo Shock Troopers.
No way.

@BIL you bloody nerf herder! After your recommend to play on hard I spent the afternoon wondering why I'm getting so brutalised and struggling to push to the stage 2 boss, only to come back and find out you had it on normal. Hard mode is ridiculous, you need a proper memorised strat to try to get through it. Even the 1st boss snipes you like crazy.

Mercs has always been all win. Used to throw 10p's at it in the arcade like mad as a kid. I just love the way the dude leans back into that mobile cannon under his arm and reams through crowds of incoming soldiers, commando style.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BIL

Post by BIL »

Turrican wrote:My two cents on that one? Honestly, a poor replacement for the three player action of the coin-op. They could have squeezed in two player mode easily, at the very least. The Amiga conversion fared much better in this regard. Maybe it's the nostalgia effect, but I can't really enjoy this title playing alone.
On the other hand, if you have Capcom Generation 4 and a multitap, there's no reason to bother with any other previous console port. I wouldn't trade CG4 for MD Mercs but it's pretty nice having both.
Skykid wrote:@BIL you bloody nerf herder! After your recommend to play on hard I spent the afternoon wondering why I'm getting so brutalised and struggling to push to the stage 2 boss, only to come back and find out you had it on normal. Hard mode is ridiculous, you need a proper memorised strat to try to get through it. Even the 1st boss snipes you like crazy.
Haha, sorry. :P Hard kicked the shit out of me too, Normal is definitely sufficient for a first playthrough. I can clear Hard reliably now, it's mainly the low stats+equipment that make the first couple of stages so tough. I feel like recording a playthrough.

But first I want to get a no-miss of Splatterhouse Part 3 Game Master aka Sir Patrick Moore mode uploaded so I can demonstrate why it's awesome and "Splatterhouse III" is glossy junk. It's fitting that in a game where many enemies resemble diseased orifices, it has some of the most assholic AI I've seen in a console beater. Good annoying fun!

It's very cool that Namco took the time to revise the completely broken US version for the JP release a couple years later, instead of just wheeling out the same game in NTSCJ format and cashing in on the brand name. I get the impression someone on the dev team was actually a beater fan.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

BIL wrote:But first I want to get a no-miss of Splatterhouse Part 3 Game Master aka Sir Patrick Moore mode uploaded so I can demonstrate why it's awesome and "Splatterhouse III" is glossy junk. It's fitting that in a game where many enemies resemble diseased orifices, it has some of the most assholic AI I've seen in a console beater. Good fun!
I'd like to see that, please do it
BIL

Post by BIL »

:shock: Now there's the encouragement I needed. :smile: Will have the .inp recorded within the next couple of hours, will post it here (Youtube will take a bit longer with my upload speed).
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

I didn't mean that as a challenge or doubting your ability, by the way
BIL

Post by BIL »

Haha, I know. :mrgreen: Just expressing my appreciation for a Final Fight ALLer's interest! That game is a nightmare I need to finish off at some point. And... success! SH3(J) Game Master no-miss with best ending is in the bag. Youtube

Here's the .inp file (actually a .gmv file, for the Gens11b emulator) - ROM used was " Splatterhouse Part 3 (J) [a1].gen " http://www.mediafire.com/?6dd18b70lkwy6ee

A few notes:

-I've done this unrecorded a couple times in the recent past, but what I wasn't appreciating is this game's randomness. Enemy behaviour is very unpredictable, making them tricky to reliably nail with the grabs you need to do real damage. And on max difficulty a lot of the bigger ones can obliterate Normal Rick's lifebar in one or two devastating attacks... and those enemies tend to have evasive moves making them impossible to trap in corners. So one run's enemies can be fairly cooperative, and another's utterly assholic. You have all the tools needed to deal with even the worst situations, though, so it's never a case of being dealt a bad hand. Just a worse one. This makes the game a lot more interesting in the long-term, of course.

-Enemies have more knockdown attacks on Game Master, and I get knocked down a lot more often than I'm happy with. A better player could've avoided my mistakes easily with improved execution and strategy. Ultimately though, this isn't a super play or speed run, just a system demo to illustrate why the JP ver rocks the US ver's face off. No invincible monster blender to tear through roomfulls of enemies while lulling you to sleep here. So I just went ahead with this run.

-I only trigger the first two bonus rounds. I very occasionally get the fourth on my runs, but I'm not even sure of the time limit for that one. Frankly I find them tedious and pointless (they're really only good for 1UPs), so I've not worked on improving my later stage routes to trigger them consistently. However, I do love the nonlinear time-trialling aspect of this game, and I certainly need to explore more off of my usual paths (pretty sure I'm running across some unnecessary "big enemy" rooms). So this is something to work on. AFAIK, it's only the first, second and fourth stages where Jennifer/David's life is at stake - otherwise the time limit seems to function as a bonus stage trigger only.

edit: Hmm. Actually, I may be wrong about the Japanese version having been improved for 1995 release - turns out the game was originally released in 1993, around the time of the US version. Will have to look into this, the ROM I recorded this run with has 1995 at the title screen but plays exactly like my 1993-branded JP cart (as far as I can tell, anyway), as well as a JP ROM with the earlier date. Maybe it's a minor revision / reprint ala The Super Shinobi's various touchups.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Just to further torment Skykid, here's a no-death clear of Senjou no Okami II Original on Hard. :P

[Youtube] [.gmv file for Gens11b] (ROM used: "Mercs (W) [!].gen" with country set to Japan)

The number of enemy troops and machines annihilated in this mode is remarkable even by typical high-quality run n' gun standards... very fun game, and pretty tough as well. A key tip is to not be stingy with bombs, the game gives tons and expects you to use them. Also, make sure to actually aim the blast at whatever you're trying to destroy, the full-screen shockwave kills soldiers only.

In previous runs I noticed I'd end the game with about six surplus bombs, to the point I was chucking them at the last boss just to clear out stock. So for this run I was a lot more liberal with them, mostly in stage 6, and probably ended up using too many. Testing out the post-bomb invulnerability also made me a bit sloppy, I take some unnecessary hits while standing still at points I'm usually scrambling about. For future reference, now I know to reach the last boss with three bombs on Launcher for the instant win. The last boss itself is a complete weiner, but I don't know its time limit so I didn't want to play about. Still a little miffed they didn't go with a behemoth killing machine worthy of closing out such a ferocious game! Maybe they figured they'd shot their bolt in the previous stage with that awesome multi-screen murderfreighter.

My upgrade strategy for now is get Rifle maxed out early, as he's easily the most versatile, then do the same for Launcher and Duke Nukem in that order as they're good backups if Rifle's health gets dangerously low and they cause awesome enemy death animations. Laser's weapon is a decent machine killer, but too slow and concentrated to be of much use in a game where enemies and projectiles swarm relentlessly, so he gets table scraps only. Homing shows up after my main three are maxed out, with his weapon seeming a bit lame and undependable besides, so I've not used him much. He does have the best colour uniform though.
Last edited by BIL on Wed May 22, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BIL wrote:Just to further torment Skykid, here's a no-death clear of Senjou no Okami II Original on Hard. :P

[Youtube (uploading, eta 3hrs)]
Impressed! Looking forward to this, you must have thrown plenty hours at it the last few days. I went back to it today between working hours and played (on normal this time) more original mode. Liking the way you really get to strategise which of your dudes is going to wipe out what - going to be very interesting to see your run. ;)

BIL

Post by BIL »

Hope you won't be disappointed. :oops: At this early stage (only discovered this mode last week), it's pretty much Rifle 90% of the time. He can do nearly everything the other four can do and then some, with the exception of Homing (and in this game, where stuff is constantly rushing/firing right at you, his weapon seems like a deathtrap anyway). If I'd been in charge of balancing I'd have made Rifle's speed a bit less dominating over the others', tbh. At least it allows some fancy footwork. ;]

Howevever Launcher is way better than Rifle at destroying hard targets once maxed out, which makes the stage 7 boss a lot easier. If one were to attempt a no-bomb run, I'm sure he'd be vital later in the game where you need to take down tanks, turrets and guard towers ASAP to free up breathing space. Burner has good crowd sweeping ability and screen after screen of incinerated enemies is macho as fuck, but with all the suicide bombers lurking just offscreen you have to be careful to not attempt a 360 sweep at the wrong time. It's still early days, so there are undoubtedly some badass less-obvious strategies and techniques I'm missing out on.

I'm still a bit shocked there was such a hardcore gem packed away on this port. It almost makes me wish Strider, DaiMakaimura and Forgotten Worlds all had missing three-player modes so Sega would've done similar for them!
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BIL wrote:Hope you won't be disappointed. :oops:
How could I be disappointed in a no-death clear you weirdo. :lol:

Please tell: how many hours approx did it take to get this run?