Recommended Anime/Manga?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Raytrace

Re: Recommended Anime/Manga?

Post by Raytrace »

I have also uploaded all my animGIFs to here - mainly anime with some game stuff:

http://www.mediafire.com/?hsp2tyc3fq3c5ta
BIL

Post by BIL »

Cool, I loved your GIFs of BGC's demon car. :smile:
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

BIL wrote:Cool, I loved your GIFs of BGC's demon car. :smile:
thanks - glad you liked them :)
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

I just watched VOTOMS: The Last Red Shoulder - verily much enjoyed it...

I'm on ep35 of the TV series at the moment - lovin that too
xbl0x180

Post by xbl0x180 »

I dunno who has seen Giant Robo and Kishin Heidan, as well as The Iron Giant and pretty much any American retro Sci-Fi from the 30s up to the 50s, but to those who have and LIKED those videos and films, then I solidly recommend Project Blue Earth SOS. The chara designs were weak and the animation is typical early to mid-2000s cheezorama CG galore, but once you get past that, there are some things worthwhile watching: First, the whole mystery alien invasion thing that was a bit mindful of Invaders From Mars, The Day The Earth Stood Still, War Of The Worlds, sprinkled with a bit of Flash Gordon... phew! Second, the art deco backgrounds - wow! - the background designers really loved 1930s and early 40s Art Deco. Third, were some of the mechanical ship and vehicle designs, which, again, were a throwback to old-timey UFOs. A shoot-'em-up fan should dig this stuff 8) The series is comprised of 6 1-hour episodes, each with a freeze-frame intermission a la Dezaki Osamu.

It's not the best anime I've seen, nor is it the best in the genre, but it is better than most anything I have seen that was made in the last 15 years and definitely stands out in contrast to 80s and 90s anime by its peculiar look and theme.

ImageImage
Last edited by xbl0x180 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

xbl0x180 wrote:It's not the best anime I've seen, nor is it the best in the genre, but it is better than most anything I have seen that was made in the last 15 years and definitely stands out in contrast to 80s and 90s anime by it's peculiar look and theme.
Out of curiosity, what anime (movies and series) do you consider the best?
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

ok listen is Dunbine good?

ok I have to say the setting is looking a bit too 'fantasy' (i.e. medieval with dragons n shit), as opposed to sci-fi - is it worth forcing myself to get into? It is Tomino after all :p
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Aura Battler Dunbine, is definitely an old-school anime series from the early 1980s. Believe it or not, it was possible to buy such Dunbine mecha toys in the USA back in 1984-1987 despite the entire series not being officially released until the 2000s stateside on DVD format.

Am currently checking out the heavy armored mecha series known as Broken Blade. Looks interesting with the first season's six episode lineup.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
xbl0x180

Post by xbl0x180 »

moozooh wrote:
xbl0x180 wrote:It's not the best anime I've seen, nor is it the best in the genre, but it is better than most anything I have seen that was made in the last 15 years and definitely stands out in contrast to 80s and 90s anime by it's peculiar look and theme.
Out of curiosity, what anime (movies and series) do you consider the best?
I'll name 10 off the top of my head, although it's pretty easy to discern just from what has been discussed in the past 20 pages or so... and they're really popular/famous/obvious choices 8)

Movies:

- "The Wings Of Honneamise"
- "Angel's Egg"
- Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer
- Nausicaa
- Akira
- Robot Carnival
- "Ninja Scroll"
- PatLabor, The Movie 1
- "Ghost In The Shell"
- Perfect Blue

OAVs:

- Cream Lemon (a lot of famous directors and animators cut their teeth into an episode or two)
- Project A-Ko
- BubbleGum Crisis
- GunBuster
- Urotsukidoji (the first five OAVs)
- "Record Of Lodoss War"
- "Vampire Princess Miyu" (or Iczer-1)
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory (the one that got me into Gundam)
- "Mermaid's Scar"
- Plastic Little (utter trash in the guise of some of the smoothest animation I have ever seen...)

Series:

- Candy Candy
- "Treasure Island"
- "Nobody's Child"
- Urusei Yatsura
- Ulysses 31
- Space Adventure Cobra
- "Super Dimensional Fortress Macross"
- Maison Ikkoku
- Kimagure Orange Road
- "The Irresponsible Captain Tylor"

Raytrace wrote:ok listen is Dunbine good?

ok I have to say the setting is looking a bit too 'fantasy' (i.e. medieval with dragons n shit), as opposed to sci-fi - is it worth forcing myself to get into? It is Tomino after all :p
The final disc of the series is not easy to find either. I have 11 of 12 discs from the set 8)
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

xbl0x180 wrote:

The final disc of the series is not easy to find either. I have 11 of 12 discs from the set 8)
is it good though? :p
xbl0x180

Post by xbl0x180 »

I couldn't get into it, honestly. I haven't seen all the discs I have either. I'd rather watch Orguss... or Mospeada (I have the complete box set) 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YByEqzHIFl8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqy55RqyTyo
Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

Plastic Little (utter trash in the guise of some of the smoothest animation I have ever seen...)
It's a trashy 90's ecchi OVA from Urushihara, what did you expect? I thought it was enjoyable for what it was: fluff with awesome animation.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

I probably should have put this post in this thread instead.
It relates to Cannon God Exxaxion. Very satisfying giant robot manga. The robot is massive, the protagonist isn't a total pussy, and it manages to remind me of Evangelion without any of the bullshit. In fact, it's probably what I expected Eva to be when I first saw it, having managed to know fuck-all about it despite how famous it was.

The synopsis is, aliens have contacted Earth, they stage an invasion after getting all chummy with the humans, and a highschool-age kid gets a giant robot to stop them with. Unfortunately, the robot is so large, it accidentally kills people just by operating, what with it walking around and firing, and the massive shockwaves that result.

[not sure if spoiler] Hell, the main character's badass enough to actually man up and express his feelings to his girlfriend and then they fuck, instead of any of that unrequited love shit you see all the time.

also, too lazy to check if it's been mentioned in this thread, but it's awesome enough to bear mentioning
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

xbl0x180 wrote:I couldn't get into it, honestly. I haven't seen all the discs I have either. I'd rather watch Orguss... or Mospeada (I have the complete box set) 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YByEqzHIFl8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqy55RqyTyo
yeah Orguss is definitely on my list...........
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Am currently checking out the heavy armored mecha series known as Broken Blade. Looks interesting with the first season's six episode lineup.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Oh this I have to watch.

http://youtu.be/1eApwwyX1-E

Horribly cheesy AnimeNetwork promo aside.
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

still watching VOTOMS im on ep 43 now - this is really getting brilliant in last quarter...
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Unfortunately(that is, I'd rather have the VN), NIS America is localizing(sub only) the god-awful Umineko anime.

Maybe we'll get the VN if it sells, but there's a long shot and a half.

If you're even considering watching it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INE5I82zdW0

There, that's all you need.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

I'd say we have a much better chance of getting Ougon Musou Kyoku, and that's still slim to none.

Weirdly enough, the Higurashi VN seems to have gotten a boxed release in France only. (MangaGamer released it for the rest of us.)
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

I've played all of Umineko, but I heard MG took out audio from Higurashi? Sounds blasphemous, considering how integral sound was to Umineko.

Ha, we've considered taking up the mantle of translating Ougon. I highly doubt anyone would localize a game full of fan service that no one who hasn't played the VNs would get.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
xbl0x180

Post by xbl0x180 »

cj iwakura wrote:Unfortunately(that is, I'd rather have the VN), NIS America is localizing(sub only) the god-awful Umineko anime.

If you're even considering watching it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INE5I82zdW0

There, that's all you need.
I just can't deal with cheap0 CG and rotoscoping. Besides, if NIS is releasing this, it'll be some overpriced box set like the rest of the stuff they've been distributing. I'd shell out for some 360 VNs, though 8)
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

ok as I am fast approaching the end of VOTOMS (TV) I was wondering which of my 'Plan To Watch''s should I watch next?

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/r4ytrace

Im thinking maybe Cobra TV, Mazinger Z or Orguss ?

Then again maybe I should finish off some of my 'Watching's first... I'm kinda watching Harlock and Macross 7 on and off with my son though so there's no real rush there, Gunbuster 2 I don't know if I can actually bring myself to finish :s
Op Intensify

Post by Op Intensify »

Diebuster/Gunbuster 2 is really short, you'll finish that off in no time. I think it's a completely forgettable series, but worth watching for the many examples of Gainax craziness. The cosmic shit that goes on at the end is a definite precursor to Gurren Lagann.
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

Op Intensify wrote:Diebuster/Gunbuster 2 is really short, you'll finish that off in no time. I think it's a completely forgettable series, but worth watching for the many examples of Gainax craziness. The cosmic shit that goes on at the end is a definite precursor to Gurren Lagann.
OK yeah I'll give it another go and I do love Gurren Lagann and FLCL so I should like it, just I kinda wish it wasn't called 'Gunbuster' ;)
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

But it's so in line with the 80s/early 90s cheesiness.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

moozooh wrote:But it's so in line with the 80s/early 90s cheesiness.
well ok Im pretty sure I haven't seen as many animes as pretty much anyone on this forum, but to me it utterly isn't in line with what I like about those earlier animes, if anything it's got that post-Eva feeling (not that I dislike Eva, but I do think I can sense it's echoes in a lot of things I don't like)...
drauch

Post by drauch »

Raytrace, watch Space Adventure Cobra! The best.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

drauch wrote:Raytrace, watch Space Adventure Cobra! The best.
I shall watch the TV series then next :) - I watched the movie and loved it...
drauch

Post by drauch »

It's so good. It's one of the best reasons why I love anime.
xbl0x180

Post by xbl0x180 »

I love that show. City Hunter and Lupin also had their moments. To this day, I still consider this stuff as having a smart edge to it; I dig the protagonists. There's nothing like it nowadays 8)
drauch

Post by drauch »

Yeah, I can easily recommend City Hunter as well. I've got a poster on my wall that I stare at each night before I go to bed. It inspires me to be more manly/perverted a bit more each time I glance at it. Also, probably my favorite intro theme song next to Record of Lodoss War and Cutie Honey.