dondonpachi wtf its called ps2 TATE screens

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
thchardcore

dondonpachi wtf its called ps2 TATE screens

Post by thchardcore »

Can someone please post a few pictures of this game running in tate, I really want to get this but if it looks as bad as it seems to on the non tate screens, then forget t, I have plenty of shooters to keep me busy on my other consoles.

And dont call me a graphics whore, you have no idea how much I love 2D sprites.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

The yoko mode in the PS/Saturn DDP is scaled down and loses a lot of detail, so you can't judge by that. That said, Tate mode is much better and close to the arcade versions.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
8 1/2

Post by 8 1/2 »

This is true of pretty much all games that have a tate feature. Never judge a game by Yoko screenshots. As for DDP, if you have the Playstation version it should look pretty much spot-on in tate. The Saturn version is good too, but the PSX is king for that particular game.
FULL LOCK is BOMB
Neon

Re: dondonpachi wtf its called ps2 TATE screens

Post by Neon »

thchardcore wrote:Can someone please post a few pictures of this game running in tate, I really want to get this but if it looks as bad as it seems to on the non tate screens, then forget t, I have plenty of shooters to keep me busy on my other consoles.

And dont call me a graphics whore, you have no idea how much I love 2D sprites.
No offense, but if you're avoiding getting it because of the graphics, doesn't that earn you the title?

I can respect demanding absolute perfection, but DDP is considered one of the best in the genre gameplay wise, and although it isn't my personal favourite Cave game, it's still excellent and deserving of at least a few plays. If you're after the psx port, you can just buy it, and if you decide you don't like it, it'll hold its value and you should resell at no great loss.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I believe he's talking about Dai-Ou-Jou...

In any case, it's more or less the same idea, the game does look better in tate mode, but that's a given. I personally don't like the graphical style of DOJ as much as that of the first DDP, but it's still good, just not as much to my own liking. The main thing I'd consider when buying it is the challenge...DOJ is a tough one to clear, and even tougher to score well on. Whether you like the looks or not, prepare to practice.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

If speaking of Dai Ou Jou, yes, it looks spectacular - in TATE. Original arcade resolution with no filters at all. Bliss.
Leeram

Post by Leeram »

I love DaiOuJou and it looks superb in tate. Dunno how it compares to the PCB though as I've never seen the PCB version.

DOJ is rock hard though, or at least it is for me. I've been practicing for hours and hours and can just about get mid way through level 4 in one credit. I'm hoping to have level 4 polished off in the next couple of weeks. That's not with chaining though. I spent 6 hours practicing the first part of level one, trying to keep the chain going past the first "tower" thing that srolls down slowly, and I just about sussed it, can't do it every time though!

Cheers

Leeram