360 Vertical Setup Question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
terrybogard

360 Vertical Setup Question

Post by terrybogard »

whats up guys can someone explain to me why when i hook my 360 to a lcd tv through vga it shows 100% at vertical but when i switch the cable to hdmi or component it doesnt stretch 100% vertical?? the top and bottom is cut off with background image of shmup. hope im not confusing.

it looks alot better with hdmi or component than it does with vga.... thanks
Dave_K.

Re: 360 Vertical Setup Question

Post by Dave_K. »

Sounds like you have a 16:9 lcd tv, and VGA input is stretching full screen, which is not good since most shmups are 4:3. The HDMI input is showing you the correct aspect ratio which is 4:3 with bars/backdrop.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

MS added a Widescreen 480p resolution for VGA as well. Something like 864x480. Can be found in the display settings. Maybe that helps...
terrybogard

Post by terrybogard »

Fudoh wrote:MS added a Widescreen 480p resolution for VGA as well. Something like 864x480. Can be found in the display settings. Maybe that helps...
thanks for the suggestion... sadly it didnt work... i think i will keep it with vga at 640x480 stretched vertical.. its a little blurrier than hdmi 1080 vertical but atleast i get fullsecreen vertical instead of background blocks on top and bottom running it at 1080. i wish they would allow vertical 1080 16:9 fullscreen.... sucks but whatever...
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

terrybogard wrote:i wish they would allow vertical 1080 16:9 fullscreen.... sucks but whatever...
Of course they do. Either you have it setup wrong or your TV is a mess.

Perhaps there is a language barrier at play. What game are you playing, and what orientation do you have your LCD?
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
terrybogard

Post by terrybogard »

brentsg wrote:
terrybogard wrote:i wish they would allow vertical 1080 16:9 fullscreen.... sucks but whatever...

Perhaps there is a language barrier at play. What game are you playing, and what orientation do you have your LCD?
raiden 4 - sharp lcd hdtv rotated vertical. if i hook it up through vga it runs at 640x480 and is fullscreen vertical from top to bottom. if i hook it up to hdmi or component the image is centered with background image on top and bottom just a little....
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

terrybogard wrote:
brentsg wrote:

raiden 4 - sharp lcd hdtv rotated vertical. if i hook it up through vga it runs at 640x480 and is fullscreen vertical from top to bottom. if i hook it up to hdmi or component the image is centered with background image on top and bottom just a little....
Ok, you said you wished they would allow 1080 vertical. That is what confused me. What you mean is you wish they would allow 1920 vertical since you have it rotated.

I haven't played Raiden 4 in ages, but I'm pretty sure it's a 4:3 game. You have borders because you are supposed to have borders. The game simply isn't the same aspect ratio as your display. It is your stretched mode that is incorrect.
terrybogard

Post by terrybogard »

what game will show 1920 vertical with rotated fullscreen vertical? are all cave games 4:3 ? will i have this same issue with all the cave games im looking to buy?
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

terrybogard wrote:what game will show 1920 vertical with rotated fullscreen vertical? are all cave games 4:3 ? will i have this same issue with all the cave games im looking to buy?
Yes I believe so, for the vertical games. All of their vertical games are made for 4:3 CRT based old-school cabs.
terrybogard

Post by terrybogard »

brentsg wrote:
terrybogard wrote:what game will show 1920 vertical with rotated fullscreen vertical? are all cave games 4:3 ? will i have this same issue with all the cave games im looking to buy?
Yes I believe so, for the vertical games. All of their vertical games are made for 4:3 CRT based old-school cabs.
ok so my 2 options are

1.- play them with hdmi or component 4:3 vertical and not have the fullscreen vertical
2. - play them in vga and stretch it a little to be fullscreen but not as clear in quality.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

terrybogard wrote:
brentsg wrote:
ok so my 2 options are

1.- play them with hdmi or component 4:3 vertical and not have the fullscreen vertical
2. - play them in vga and stretch it a little to be fullscreen but not as clear in quality.
I do not understand why it needs to be full screen. I'd much rather replicate the original game as closely as possible. Many of the games have in-game settings that allow you to "stretch" the game in either direction. This would be preferable if you insist on filling 'er up.
terrybogard

Post by terrybogard »

thanks for clearing this up man!