Looking to get a Component & S-Video Mixer cable for PS2.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Rock Man

Looking to get a Component & S-Video Mixer cable for PS2.

Post by Rock Man »

Can anyone give me the exact name for a cable of this caliber? I have regular Component Cables but I cannot get certain PS2 games to output in Progressive Scan. The only viable option for those that don't take Component is S-Video.

I have an S-Video Cable, I just don't like swapping cables to obtain the desired pictures. It can wear down the leads. I do however have my Component ports and S-Vid close together. A Component + S-Video hook-up would be the ultimate resolve, no switching you just plug the S-Video w/ Component in once and I'll have complete convenience.

If anyone knows of such a mixing cable let me know.
Last edited by Rock Man on Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fudoh

Re: Heard about a Component & S-Video Mixer cable for PS2.

Post by Fudoh »

Doesn't really make sense. There's nothing a S-Video cable accomplishes which a component cable won't do....

Give me a title which you're having problem with....
Rock Man

Re: Heard about a Component & S-Video Mixer cable for PS2.

Post by Rock Man »

In Component Video I can't get Smackdown 4 to display, it'll show up in S-Video and not Component. Looks like S-Video does something Component doesn't after all.

Asked at another forum and they said Playstation 2 Component was never "completely" compatible with the non-tube televisions. It will work for most games but there are a few that displays at an unsupported resolution.

I don't want to get super technical, long story short. I just want to be able to play all of my PS2 games without changing wires. If you know of a method that would allow me to do this please enlighten me. Believe me Fudoh, I'd play in Component Output for ALL PS2 games if I could.

I had also realized "Smackdown 5: Here Comes The Pain" doesn't operate in Component. Lousy HDTV's. -_-*

I don't know if this helps, I have a bulky PS2 and I'm experiencing this issue. My friend has the same build only his plays all PS2 games, his model is a little newer though.
speedlolita

Re: Looking to get a Component & S-Video Mixer cable for PS2.

Post by speedlolita »

Stop playing Smackdown? :mrgreen:
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

^lol that would be the easy answer.

Don't worry about this one folks, after consulting with some people from another forum I realized my problem can't be fixed. I'll just have to deal with changing out the leads everytime I play those specific PS2 games. Would have been nice if I could avoid it, how annoying. *>_<

It can't be helped.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

What made you think PS2's Component display works for every game in the first place?
Component is the primary connection. The PS2 was designed to use this connection. Component is the only connection which officially supports 15khz and 31khz resolutions, while composite, S-Video and RGB only support 15khz and VGA is limited to 31khz.
Smackdown 5: Here Comes The Pain
I'm getting this now and I'm willing to bet that it runs fine via component.

There is one constellation which I could think of: if Smackdown 5 was in fact a 240p title (classic 15khz low-res), there are HDTVs out there which don't support this resolution via YUV. This would be the TV's fault though, not the PS2's. Have you tried any (other) true 240p game ? (Galuda 2, FZ2DX, DDPDOJ, ...)
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

You could try using an black colored Official PS2 A/V adapter (which has both composite video and S-Video outputs) and stick a PS2 component video cable into the remaining A/V port of the A/V adapter itself. I use this particular method if I want to play Time Crisis with the Guncon 1 controller (as it needs to hook up to the composite video input for line-of-sight cross-checking reference).

The original gray colored PSX A/V adapter did not have S-Video port built-in but just rather the usual composite video and L&R RCA output phono jacks.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Fudoh, I'm aware of PS2's native 240p output for select games. I really do think Smackdown is one of them, but if your able to prove me wrong I'd actually be thankful. Because that would provide me with the hope. If there's anyway to get the 2 games in question to operate in Component output I'll want to know (As I'd assume it would be an improvement from S-Video). I'm not a fan of cable lead swapping.

Afraid I don't own any other 240p games other than "Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth" and "Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain". I know it's not the PS2's fault. It's purpose is to display on standard def tube televisions. Not Hi-Def Plasma Screens.

What are the results of your experiment?
PC Engine Fan X! wrote:You could try using an black colored Official PS2 A/V adapter (which has both composite video and S-Video outputs) and stick a PS2 component video cable into the remaining A/V port of the A/V adapter itself. I use this particular method if I want to play Time Crisis with the Guncon 1 controller (as it needs to hook up to the composite video input for line-of-sight cross-checking reference).

The original gray colored PSX A/V adapter did not have S-Video port built-in but just rather the usual composite video and L&R RCA output phono jacks.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Hm, a rather interesting method. So long as I'll be able to still play certain games in Component 480p (I like my Japanese version of KOF XI) while retaining the ability to access those 240p games in S-Video, I will have found total satisfaction.

I'll look up PS2 A/V adapter on Ebay and see what I come up with. So long as it takes EXACTLY Component and S-Video I'm cool.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I really do think Smackdown is one of them, but if your able to prove me wrong I'd actually be thankful
I only tried the PAL Version of Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain today and it's running through component in 576i (PAL). I'm looking for the NTSC version, but the age (2003) doesn't make it any easier. The fact that the PAL version is running at 576i makes it 99% certain though that the NTSC version is a standard 480i title, not a 240p one. I'm really looking forward to try it, since this is the very first time in 10 years of PS2 history that anybody claims that a game does not work through component (and it's not a 240p title)...
antron

Post by antron »

Rock man, you could try a PS1 game in your PS2 with component. It is more likely to run in 240p.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Fudoh wrote:
I really do think Smackdown is one of them, but if your able to prove me wrong I'd actually be thankful
I only tried the PAL Version of Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain today and it's running through component in 576i (PAL). I'm looking for the NTSC version, but the age (2003) doesn't make it any easier. The fact that the PAL version is running at 576i makes it 99% certain though that the NTSC version is a standard 480i title, not a 240p one. I'm really looking forward to try it, since this is the very first time in 10 years of PS2 history that anybody claims that a game does not work through component (and it's not a 240p title)...

Yeah okay, just don't forget about our focus here. I'm trying to get these games to work on MY television in Component. If it works on yours, great! But I'm seeking an answer to my problem. In the midst of your experiment if you can think of a solution that relates to my problem in some way that'd be awesome.
antron wrote:Rock man, you could try a PS1 game in your PS2 with component. It is more likely to run in 240p.
My HDTV doesn't take PSX games being ran on PS2 in Component. Only Composite/S-Video. =(

EDIT: Dear "PC Engine Fan X!" I have found an AV Adapter but it only works for Composite. Still trying to locate one that does S-Video that I can use in conjunction with Component.
antron

Post by antron »

Rock Man wrote:
antron wrote:Rock man, you could try a PS1 game in your PS2 with component. It is more likely to run in 240p.
My HDTV doesn't take PSX games being ran on PS2 in Component. Only Composite/S-Video. =(
that's because Fudoh is right about your TV not liking 240p.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

antron wrote:
Rock Man wrote:
that's because Fudoh is right about your TV not liking 240p.
Then the 2 Smackdown games must be 240p games after all. =/ Why else wouldn't they work?
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The black colored PS2 A/V adapter is labeled SCPH-10130. The S-Video port is facing the opposite side of where the usual composite video & L&R phono plugs are located. Perhaps you saw an auction for a gray colored PSX A/V adapter with composite video output only. I do personally own both official PSX & PS2 A/V adapters myself and they work like a charm indeed. Works great with the really thick Monster Cable S-Video cable setup.

Famous Japanese 3rd-party periperhal manufacturer Hori made a PSX A/V adapter that had both S-Video and composite video ports (but no A/V port pass-through option like with both official SCEI produced PSX & PS2 A/V adapters).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Hm, I'm familiar with Hori. I bought a couple of Dead or Alive sticks from them. I think it's cool they make adapters like this.

The one I saw was a black colored adapter. I assumed it was Composite only since the S-Video was on the other side where I couldn't see it. If you're certain it will do Component also I'll invest in this box with confidence.

EDIT: I just found an online source that has them, they're more expensive than I realized! O_O I will invest in getting one once I have the cash.