Gaelco-World Rally Championship sync issues?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
jonny5

Gaelco-World Rally Championship sync issues?

Post by jonny5 »

just got this game...it wont sync with the screens in any of my cabs....3 nanaos and 1 niemen

no amount of hold adjusting even comes close

anybody know anything about this?

i really wanna play this game

i have heard others have trouble with this game in an e2 as well....but that it worked in an older woody cab

what gives?

ive never had a game that just wouldnt sync at all....

and now ive been informed that this game has a suicide battery :shock:

but the game seems to be working....although the only thing i can really make out is the startup screen with the color bars and the game completely loses sync from there...from the sounds though i can coin it up and it sounds like the game is running properly

is this the suicide battery?

could the suicide battery just affect the video output?
jonny5

Re: Gaelco-World Rally Championship fixed(video ground issue)

Post by jonny5 »

and its fixed....

turns out it wasnt the battery at all(and this seems to be the case for others i was contacted by)

if the suicide battery goes, the picture is still fine but you get a co-processor error on the boot screen and it crashes

if you just have a garbled(out of sync) image, it is more than likely this issue with the video ground and the fix described will sort you out

apparently the video ground on these PCB's isnt connected to the jamma header(if you look at the PCB you can see this plainly)....all that was required was tying pin14 to pin 1+2 and it was right as rain

huge thanx to dreadzone on AO for the info!!

heres some pics:

i chose to just solder straight to the jamma header on the PCB rather than modify my harness, but either way will work

if you have this PCB with a garbled picture and think its toast, i would check it....just hook the game up and bridge a wire from pin14 to pins 1+2 and you will get a picture if its just the ground issue

yay!! now i can play this game

thanx to everybody who helped me figure this out :D
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Gaelco-World Rally Championship sync issues?

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I recall playing this cool World Rally racing game back in the mid-1990s at my local arcade with a steering wheel, two speed stick shift and gas pedal setup. It was licensed to Atari Games from Galeco Spain for for distribution in the USA. Reminds me of the SNK produced Thrash Rally MVS racing game with it's isometric viewpoint setup.

Another awesome arcade racing game I used be really good at was Konami's Racin' Force Jamma PCB conversion kit. This particular racing game required the use of an analog steeing wheel, gas & brake pedal combo + two-speed gear shifter setup (High & Low). It featured those cool Prototype, GT1 and GT2 class type of racing cars (like that featured in the world famous Le Mans 24 Hours racing event) on three different techincal racing courses. The cool thing was that the RF PCB would save your best times and high score intials if you managed to cross the finish line and place within the top 10 ranking before the countdown timer ran out on said racing course. Of course, the AI controlled cars would sometimes try to bully their way around you if you were trying to attempt a new race course record. I'd always try to set a distance between the 2nd place AI car and myself if I managed to get in 1st place during a race just in case if I did screw up on a techincal course track turn or S-curve. It ran at a consistant 60fps arcade-spec framerate.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

ya its pretty cool...it uses dip switch settings so you can play with either a joystick setup or steering wheel....

im a huge neo drift out fan so this game seemed pretty interesting....so when it popped up for a reasonable price i jumped on it

lots of levels(12 total i believe)split into groups of 3; beginner, normal, hard and expert... and a good variety of different terrains....the night stages are nuts...cant really see outside of your headlight field....you have to finish within 60 seconds to move on

steering is more tricky than drift out too....less tappy...ya gotta hold your turns more....way harder too...barely finished the beginner tracks :oops:

there are a lot more obstacles in this game, and a lot of the tracks are very tight...and the fact that you can actually roll out and it stops and resets your car(costing time in the process) makes things pretty tricky at times

im gonna have a lot of fun with this one 8)
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

RISE FROM YOUR GWAVE!!!!!!!!

Ok, just got this PCB and it is suicided. The only instructions to revive it are in French. Can anybody help me out with getting this going? I could play a little bit of it, then I'd crash and it would go crazy when restarting my car.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

caldwert wrote:RISE FROM YOUR GWAVE!!!!!!!!

Ok, just got this PCB and it is suicided. The only instructions to revive it are in French. Can anybody help me out with getting this going? I could play a little bit of it, then I'd crash and it would go crazy when restarting my car.
you sure it suicided?

you should be getting a co-processor error at the rom/ram check at startup if its suicided afaik....
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

Yeah, I'm getting the coprocessor is not ready which is what it is supposed to say when suicided. I just needed the instructions in English on how to fix it.
system11

Post by system11 »

Do you have a link to the french instructions?
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org