Watched this Batsugun end for cheap - is it a boot?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
TonK

Watched this Batsugun end for cheap - is it a boot?

Post by TonK »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Batsugun-JAMMA-Arca ... 500wt_1154

I noticed that the number TP-030 matched the original Batsugun PCB's I Googled.

Whats up with it?

That daughterboard looks weird, and the Korean sticker?
kernow

Re: Watched this Batsugun end for cheap - is it a boot?

Post by kernow »

Yeah, its a boot, an original one ended last week for £160 though.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

That is quite a bad response (about the Toaplan stickers on the roms). That PCB screams bootleg to ya. :P

I found a Batsugun boot a while back, but as it seems they don't come with a screen flip option, it would be very inconvenient for cab owners who mostly play CAVE games (CAVE games are all upside down and won't flip).
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Yeah, I've got both an Korean bootlegged Batsugun PCB (that displays in proper tate just like a Cave arcade shmup PCB does along with showing "For Japan Use Only" statement) along with a dual region original Japanese Batsugun PCB. You can select either plain-vanilla or Special Version mode via a switch. No need to swap roms to play either version as both are soldered in place already.

The Korean one has some odd monitor sync issues and tends to scroll very slowly despite attempts to try to get it to stay absolutely still.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
TonK

Post by TonK »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Yeah, I've got both an Korean bootlegged Batsugun PCB (that displays in proper tate just like a Cave arcade shmup PCB does along with showing "For Japan Use Only" statement) along with a dual region original Japanese Batsugun PCB. You can select either plain-vanilla or Special Version mode via a switch. No need to swap roms to play either version as both are soldered in place already.

The Korean one has some odd monitor sync issues and tends to scroll very slowly despite attempts to try to get it to stay absolutely still.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
So the one in question is a boot?
Joe T.

Post by Joe T. »

I've owned both a bootleg and a legit Batsugun in the past. That doesn't look like either of them. I'm guessing someone converted it from something else since I've never seen a Batsugun with a daughter board on it. To be totally honest, I think the Saturn version is the best way to play Batsugun. No need to switch roms out for the Special Version, and it saves your scores. Also way cheaper obviously.
terry330

Post by terry330 »

Yeah but the main board is marked TP-030 which matches an original Batsugun but doesn't have the Taoplan logo anywhere on it. Also the layout for the bottom board is about 90% identical to an orginal. Not saying it's legit just saying it's odd.
Joe T. wrote:I've owned both a bootleg and a legit Batsugun in the past. That doesn't look like either of them. I'm guessing someone converted it from something else since I've never seen a Batsugun with a daughter board on it.
PC Engine Fan X!

If you would like to see some comparisions between a bootlegged Batsugun PCB and a legit one, I'll post some pics of them tomorrow. Perhaps that particular Batsugun PCB was a repaired board listed in that eBay.uk auction. Who knows?

If you notice the TV screen does display a Korean copyright...so it's a Korean bootlegged Batsugun PCB alrighty.

I've come across a South Korean PCB reseller who mentioned something about some Korean arcade PCBs were licensed for use in Korea (despite the tell-tale markings on the PCBs as missing compared to the original Japanese PCB versions).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
The Expanding Man

Post by The Expanding Man »

I was the second highest bidder on this.

I should do some more research next time - buyer beware :wink:
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

It's not a boot, it's a licensed board. Note the TOAPLAN TS-007-SPY security chip.

Probably Korean since Japanese produced goods were banned in Korea at that time.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Had me wondering too. I think Rob's correct; I've seen that similar Korean sticker on boards too (like my Heated Barrel from Astrodan88); just because the board layout's a little different doesn't mean it's a boot. If there are some original chips on there that would be the key.

The amount of distrust of Korean PCBs is pretty excessive, I think; speaking of somebody who has sometimes been distrustful. I prefer US / JPN boards a bit more but there's usually nothing wrong, from a gameplay standpoint with Korean ones (and sometimes they're better for English speaking players, i.e. the famed APB rev).
PC Engine Fan X!

So that makes for two different regional Batsugun PCBs out there in the wilds: JPN and Korean. All sounds good.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
The Expanding Man

The Expanding Man wrote:I was the second highest bidder on this.

I should do some more research next time - buyer beware :wink:
As I said, I was the second highest bidder. It looks like the winning bidder backed out cos I've been offered this for 110 pounds.

What do you think - should I pull the trigger?
antron

Post by antron »

I vote yes. Just be sure the person offering you this second chance is the real seller (and not a scammer who wants you to western union him some money)
The Expanding Man

antron wrote:I vote yes. Just be sure the person offering you this second chance is the real seller (and not a scammer who wants you to western union him some money)
It's a legit, paypal, second chance offer thru ebay.

I'm minded to pull the trigger on it.
terry330

Post by terry330 »

I was the one who won the it originally. Stumbled on to it with just a few min. left.

Backed out after having second thoughts. I'm not willing to gamble $150+ on a 50/50. It might well be a legit Korean board it might not. Not to mention the board seems to be discolored in places. Not willing to chance it.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I am afraid that the "value" is going to be determined (for now) by people who aren't familiar with Korean boards. Is it worth $110 to get the board in some legit version (assuming it is legit)? Then I'd jump on it.
oli_lar

Post by oli_lar »

terry330 wrote:I was the one who won the it originally. Stumbled on to it with just a few min. left.

Backed out after having second thoughts. I'm not willing to gamble $150+ on a 50/50. It might well be a legit Korean board it might not. Not to mention the board seems to be discolored in places. Not willing to chance it.

Off topic sorry-
No offense, but I hate it when I've had buyers back out because they've 'changed their minds' (or more usually a colourful excuse like my cat bought it etc). Especially when I've spent 3 or 4 pounds on the listing, which you don't get back.
The Expanding Man

OK, I have bought this.

When it arrives, I think I will post some better pictures and a good description so that we can try and work out what it is :)
antron

Post by antron »

The Expanding Man wrote:OK, I have bought this.

When it arrives, I think I will post some better pictures and a good description so that we can try and work out what it is :)
all you have to do is confirm the sound is complete. that's what batsugun boots apparently can't do correctly.
terry330

Post by terry330 »

I paid the guy for his listing fees. I'm not one to screw someone else over even on a suspicious auction like that. I bid on it, won it and realized I didn't want to gamble with getting a boot after reading this thread. I didn't just refuse to buy it I contacted the seller and came to an amicable end.
oli_lar wrote: Off topic sorry-
No offense, but I hate it when I've had buyers back out because they've 'changed their minds' (or more usually a colourful excuse like my cat bought it etc). Especially when I've spent 3 or 4 pounds on the listing, which you don't get back.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

i remember this korean batsugun question coming up before in the forum (mebbes the first forum before this one) and it was confirmed as legit..surprised pc engine fan can't remember ^_~ i seem to remember him commenting on it at the time :lol:
TonK

Post by TonK »

oli_lar wrote:
terry330 wrote:I was the one who won the it originally. Stumbled on to it with just a few min. left.

Off topic sorry-
Jumping on something with 3 minutes left then realizing that you bought what appears to be a boot.

I've dont this a few times.

And when the seller doesnt even know if its a boot - no thanks.

I'll pay your fees and pass on it.

Dude didn't stick him - glady offered to pay his fees and back out like a gentleman.

Gotta hear the whole story bro - usually more than just face value.
antron

Post by antron »

did anyone else google "korean batsugun"?

one sold in 07 and looks the same:
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/b ... al-toaplan
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

oli_lar wrote:Off topic sorry-
Only their final bid is cancelled, any earlier bids they made driving up the price are still intact. Only the final bid (which the other party wasn't matching anyway, else they would have passed it) is lost, so it just goes to what the next person wanted to pay. It's no big deal. It's not as if the FVF is based on the retracted bid.
undamned

Post by undamned »

If this isn't in MAME it aught to be dumped! :D

If you've played Fever SOS in MAME, you can thank shmups own Jon, as the ROMs were from his PCB. I dumped the ROMs, and I think it was rtw or The Sheep that did the patchwork to make them universal (otherwise you had to change a jumper on your PCB to get them working or something silly).
Ed Oscuro wrote:Only their final bid is cancelled, any earlier bids they made driving up the price are still intact. Only the final bid (which the other party wasn't matching anyway, else they would have passed it) is lost, so it just goes to what the next person wanted to pay. It's no big deal. It's not as if the FVF is based on the retracted bid.
I still think this is broken. I mean, yeah, worst case scenario, the runner up pays no more than what they were willing, but it still lends opportunity for the seller's buddy (or his/her 2nd account) to outbid you just to max out your bid and then sell it to you as a "runner up." I can guarantee that crap happens. I think it does the same if the high bid is retracted before the auction ends.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

undamned wrote:I still think this is broken. I mean, yeah, worst case scenario, the runner up pays no more than what they were willing, but it still lends opportunity for the seller's buddy (or his/her 2nd account) to outbid you just to max out your bid and then sell it to you as a "runner up." I can guarantee that crap happens. I think it does the same if the high bid is retracted before the auction ends.
-ud
This is called shill bidding and nobody really knows how to handle it. That's the real problem, but as you see that is a problem for bidders, not for sellers.

Sanctity of contracts, hmm? If somebody really doesn't want to pay they won't, retraction policy or not.
rtw

Post by rtw »

robivy64 wrote:It's not a boot, it's a licensed board. Note the TOAPLAN TS-007-SPY security chip.

Probably Korean since Japanese produced goods were banned in Korea at that time.
You are correct, a lot of PCB's were assembled in Korea with original protection devices but
with PCB's and components produced in Korea. They are normally or an inferior manufacturing
quality compared to the Japanese release due to the use of cheaper/low-quality components.
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
The Expanding Man

Well, the board arrived today.

The screen boots up stating it is the Korean version.

Plays fine - though bloody hard!!!