DoDonPachi pcb help

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bwod1e

DoDonPachi pcb help

Post by bwod1e »

hello friends
I am sorry for creating a seperate thread about this.. i searched back for any help and couldnt see a ddp thread for pages

i just got my DDP pcb from cosmicco (YAYAYAYAY) but its upside down on my exceleena. Most games i find in test mode you can choose which way you want the screen, but i cant find it anywhere on this one (mind you, please dont say turn my screen the other way, the cables are a bit tight for that and i dont want to have to redo it all).
Also cant figure out how to put it on freeplay as running through the coin toggles there is no option for free play
any help would be greatly appreciated as i am DIEING to play :)

tyty in advance
zakk

Re: DoDonPachi pcb help

Post by zakk »

bwod1e wrote:hello friends
I am sorry for creating a seperate thread about this.. i searched back for any help and couldnt see a ddp thread for pages

i just got my DDP pcb from cosmicco (YAYAYAYAY) but its upside down on my exceleena. Most games i find in test mode you can choose which way you want the screen, but i cant find it anywhere on this one (mind you, please dont say turn my screen the other way, the cables are a bit tight for that and i dont want to have to redo it all).
Also cant figure out how to put it on freeplay as running through the coin toggles there is no option for free play
any help would be greatly appreciated as i am DIEING to play :)

tyty in advance
Err, DDP has an invert screen option in the test menu...
It's the 2nd option. Change it from normal screen to 'invert screen'.

I don't believe there's a freeplay option. If there is I certainly don't see it.
bwod1e

Post by bwod1e »

excelllllllllent thanks mate
was fuckin hard to figure out upside down lol
had me head on a side tryin to figure it all out in my excitement
no freeplay is so shit... i dont want to have to wire a switch/button to the harness :(
sven666

Post by sven666 »

bwod1e wrote:excelllllllllent thanks mate
was fuckin hard to figure out upside down lol
had me head on a side tryin to figure it all out in my excitement
no freeplay is so shit... i dont want to have to wire a switch/button to the harness :(
since youre so enthusiastic i guess this is a good a time as any to mention that ESPrade is the last Cave game the featured screenflip.

any after that youd better make sure you have your screen TATEd the right way...

i think DDP is the only cave title without freeplay tho?
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
bwod1e

Post by bwod1e »

mmm well the machine has an arrow on the monitor chasis indicating which way to turn the monitor, so ive always thought that was the right way.
D

Post by D »

1 please not that most arcade monitor mother boards have a connector which you can put in either on of two sockets.
This will flip the picture. The manual of the monitor has more on this.

2 For credit buttons, just wire it to the start button! You can even bridge it on the JAMMA connector
system11

Post by system11 »

sven666 wrote:any after that youd better make sure you have your screen TATEd the right way...
Unfortunately what was considered the 'right' way differed for some time. Try Gemini Wing for example, on many cabs that one is upside down, and it doesn't have a flip option.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
ill6

Post by ill6 »

How do you know if the arrow incates up or down?
D

Post by D »

ill6 wrote:How do you know if the arrow incates up or down?
arrow UP is normal.
common knowledge
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

Wasn't Guwange the last cave game with a flip option? I have a cab which rotates the "wrong"way so i have to flip every vert game - i have a DDPDOJ which i bought months ago which i still haven't played due to the ridiculous lack of a flip option. I know it's possible to add switches to do this but i find it hard to motivate myself some years :)

I wouldn't recommend using freeplay with cave games - Guwange doesn't ever show the high score if freeplay is enabled, and i think Feveron might not either.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

bwod1e wrote:(mind you, please dont say turn my screen the other way, the cables are a bit tight for that and i dont want to have to redo it all).
bwod1e, I have an exceleena blue and Zakk has an exceleena red (2nd version). The monitor housing is built to rotate the wrong way! Actually if you tried to rotate it the opposite way, it wouldn't sit properly on the mountings and as you indicated your wires don't have enough slack.

As described in my post on BYOAC (a while ago), the way to solve this is to take out the monitor completely, unscrew the two PCB supports - moving them over to the opposite side of the frame (there are other holes there to screw into!), and then flip the back pate with the bolt upside down. Then put it back in the cab. This will allow you to rotate it the other way, which is proper for 95% of vertical games out there.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... 845.0.html

Of course using DDP's screen flip option will work for now, but you will have to do this operation if you plan to play any later shooters on your cab.
dpful

Post by dpful »

I always thought that Japanese games had the default set to one direction and U.S. games the other.
bwod1e

Post by bwod1e »

ahh thanks for the info dave! :)
yah i got a switch hooked up to my jamma harness now, its just a pain :P
now i just gotta get some sanwas cause atm i got happ sticks installed
i prefer happs for most games esp fighters etc
but definatly need something more refined to dodge those crazy bullet patterns :)
system11

Post by system11 »

If you generally like the western stick feel but want something with better accuracy (some of the Happs feel like stirring a bucket of bricks with a baseball bat), I'm going to go against the flow here and suggest you take a look at Wico STC Universal sticks. In my humble opinion the best sticks that exist, and some of the cheapest (so it won't break the bank just trying one out).

http://www.oscarcontrols.com/suzo500/22.jpg

That's a newer revision than the ones I have, but from the other pictures in the directory it's of very similar construction apart from the gate stuff, which is missing/removed on mine. Also it seems the sticks are known as 'Suzo 500' in some places.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

bloodflowers wrote:some of the Happs feel like stirring a bucket of bricks with a baseball bat
LOL! Great anology.
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

It's so true, I have to throw my shoulder into it just to do a dragon punch. I won't enter 3S tournaments that are played on arcade with happs (aka every arcade in america) because it is a serious handicap on me.
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
COWBOY-RJJ
system11

Post by system11 »

In the UK, STCs were incredibly common, came as standard on most Electrocoin cabs, which were by far the most common generic cab we had.
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

Sorry to bring up this old topic. May I know how to enter the test menu? I tried pressing the test button but it just went straight into the game. PCB noob here :oops:
shmup-o

Post by shmup-o »

rofl, thanks for bringing this back up gundamalpha - I was just asking questions about the Excelleena's screen rotation!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

gundamalpha wrote:Sorry to bring up this old topic. May I know how to enter the test menu? I tried pressing the test button but it just went straight into the game. PCB noob here :oops:
Continue to hold and press the "Test" button for about two to three seconds until the Test menu does appear. Unfortunately, there isn't a "Free Play" option for both Donpachi and Dodonpachi PCBs. Either manually coin up up to 9 credits max or if your candy cab has a built-in coin button, press it to credit up some games. Enjoy.

It was with Cave's ESP.Ra.De. PCB release and with subquent PCBs releases following it, that they finally decided to include the handy Free Play option on the Operator's Menu screen setup.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote: Continue to hold and press the "Test" button for about two to three seconds until the Test menu does appear. Unfortunately, there isn't a "Free Play" option for both Donpachi and Dodonpachi PCBs. Either manually coin up up to 9 credits max or if your candy cab has a built-in coin button, press it to credit up some games. Enjoy.