What's a good CRT TV with component input?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
drunkninja24

What's a good CRT TV with component input?

Post by drunkninja24 »

I have a Dynex 21" that has worked well for a while now, but the picture is on the fritz (I have to wiggle my case around to get a picture on the screen, and then I have to set a magnetic screwdriver near the TV so it doesn't discolor when in TATE :roll: ) and I'm just looking for another. I'd like to keep around the same size (19-21"). Anyone know of any good models?
KBZ

Re: What's a good CRT TV with component input?

Post by KBZ »

I"m gonna say, any trinitron?
=/
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Trinitrons are not good for TATE but other than that little problem they are great TV's. The reason they are not good for TATE is because of their shape. They are usually a bit rounded.

I had a Philips 21" in the USA a few years back and it was fine. Not great but fine.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
antron

Post by antron »

i've got a square wega-trinitron with component in. it filters a bit and scanlines lose definition. still looks good though, not interlaced.
Schrodinger's cat

Post by Schrodinger's cat »

Also got a wega-trinitron here too (Sony KV-20FS120). Mine actually has the rounded sides but TATEing it is not a problem stability-wise, believe it or not.

It tilts at a slight angle (say 20 degrees) due to its shape, but you should be fine as long as it's not too high off the ground. Don't know if this is true with most CRT TVs or not, but for this particular model in some games you won't have a perfect pixel to pixel ratio and will have to resort to stretching the picture to get it to fit the screen. Changing the hidden factory service menu settings (press display, 5, and volume +, then power on using the remote) helps this a little bit.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Trinitrons are not good for TATE but other than that little problem they are great TV's. The reason they are not good for TATE is because of their shape. They are usually a bit rounded.

I had a Philips 21" in the USA a few years back and it was fine. Not great but fine.
Trinitrons are famous for being flat, at least newer ones. Instead of a shadow mask, Trinitrons have wires hanging from the top to the bottom, anchored in maybe two places by a tungsten (?) filament in two places if you're lucky. That's what makes them iffy for tate.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I'm talking about the mould of the plastic mate. If you TATE a Trinitron that has a the curved look it doesn't sit dead straight. What I was getting at is if you want a good TATE TV then get one with flat sides.
antron

Post by antron »

neorichieb1971 wrote:I'm talking about the mould of the plastic mate. If you TATE a Trinitron that has a the curved look it doesn't sit dead straight. What I was getting at is if you want a good TATE TV then get one with flat sides.
and I think Ed's saying that even if you do get one with flat sides it may fry if you tate it?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Never TATED a trinitron. The main reason is the weight. For some reason Sony have heavier parts than other TV's. Putting that kind of weight on a plastic edge that isn't designed for it is kinda risky imo. I would probably try it once or twice, but not make a habit of it.

The philips was kinda light, in a cheap kinda way.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

neorichieb1971 wrote:I'm talking about the mould of the plastic mate. If you TATE a Trinitron that has a the curved look it doesn't sit dead straight. What I was getting at is if you want a good TATE TV then get one with flat sides.
Ah, didn't understand what you meant. If there's not a vent on the curved side, you could always put a form-fit support (like a beanbag) underneath it.

But as antron noticed, the Trinitron mask wires may droop if it's tated and cause the picture not to be perfect.

It wouldn't be fried - the wires in the Trinitron are pretty durable - but the colors could be off a bit.

neorichie and Bloodflowers both agree that flimsy plastic cabinets are one of the parts of the Trinitron that's likely to possibly be a problem.

My ('best') Trinitron set is a CRT pro monitor and the cabinet seems pretty sturdy to me, but then again the thing "only" weighs 56 pounds.
Arasoi

Post by Arasoi »

Last edited by Arasoi on Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Can you buy any of these televisions new? I've seen some used ones on Craigslist that look good.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Found a 27" Trinitron for $40 on Craigslist last week. Works great, but it didn't come with the Sony remote, so I can't get into the service menu to fix the overscan issues it has :( So I guess it'll remain Yoko for the moment, both because of that and because the shelf I have it on apparently isn't meant to hold a TV that size to begin with. Already had one incident where the whole setup fell over :roll: TV is still fine though, just a dented in corner now, lol.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Did you make sure there's not a service switch on the back of the cabinet? http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonyadj.html

For myself, I got one of the ECS cables for accessing the service menu in a Trinitron monitor; unfortunately, I need to fool with the pins as the actual monitor only has four pins on the back while the adapter has six in a different order (despite the cable being made for Sony monitors...oddness - it's one of the last Trinitrons too, 2002 manufacture date).
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Did you make sure there's not a service switch on the back of the cabinet? http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonyadj.html

For myself, I got one of the ECS cables for accessing the service menu in a Trinitron monitor; unfortunately, I need to fool with the pins as the actual monitor only has four pins on the back while the adapter has six in a different order (despite the cable being made for Sony monitors...oddness - it's one of the last Trinitrons too, 2002 manufacture date).
I didn't find any. A few small holes in the back of the TV, but nothing to indicate that any of them were a service switch. It's a 2002 Trinitron as well.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Mine is a PC monitor, so I'm not sure if yours have the ECS to RS232 cable connection. It might. But your first bet is to look for your particular model's service manual and see what it says.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

On the small 9" Sony Trinitron CDP-9000 RGB monitor, it tates quite easily for arcade PCBs. Playing an Neo-Geo MVS setup on it, it looks quite razor sharp for what it does. Since it uses a special Sony proprietary RGB input connection interface with an 8-pin setup, without that special interface plug, it's virtually useless. Some folks might say that it's too small but it works like a charm nevertheless...is definitely much better than a regular 9" Sony Trinitron TV monitor.

The older Sony Trinitron TV monitors like the 20" ones back in the mid-1990s have the slightly curved TV screens with both RCA Composite & S-Video inputs at best. DVD players didn't arrive on the market until 1996 with the new-fangled Component Video output feature. It wasn't until 2002-2005, that TV manufacturers released NTSC progressive output capable CRT-based TV monitors for 480p. There was a time when Sony did make non-progressive scan Wega TV monitors & did eventually did end up making progressive scan CRT-type TV monitors later on.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

I have a 36" CRT, that I have my 360 hooked up to via component.

Looks awesome, not so common in the UK either.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

The following should also work for many trinitron sets in addition to remote-button-sequence-pressing; personally I find this very easy compared to the various remote ninja button pressing configs:

Turn off the tv set
Hold down prog + and -
Turn on the tv [to do this I actually kind of see-saw my fingers when pressing to hold down; so the prog + or - button (whichever is depressed first) turns on tv and is then held]
Keep holding the buttons until the screen turns on

On my 26 trinitrons a TT is displayed in the corner and the normal tv menu under demo now has all the service modes in there.

Use your tv normally while you go about adjusting/feeding it a test screen...

Press 00 when finished adjusting to exit service mode...

Incidentally both my [older] 26" trintrons tate fine - their curved shells mean the screen tilts [ideally] backwards slightly but does not lean to the left or right since the case is not bowed in addition to being curved ... that said I'm sure there are cases which are less suited to tating...

Anything 26" or smaller should be light enough to tate without endangering the solidity of the casing/screen ...