Xeno Fighters R (2019 GM Studio Port)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Ultimate Gamer

Re: Xeno Fighters R (February 7, 2010: v0.6 Beta RC1 released)

Post by Ultimate Gamer »

Whoo, full screen. Whoo, Blue Javelin, and whooo, auto-fire.
*This game is not fully tested on Windows 7. Users of this OS may experience trouble running the game, or intermittent crashing.
Well, I got Windows 7, so I can be of some help.

*For one, I can't close XFR properly without consulting Mr. Task Manager. Same applies to most GM games I play. Whenever I press the 'X' button on the game window, it doesn't do anything.
*For some reason, my Caps Key got stuck. I don't know if this was intentional, or another bug. (What's funny is that in the Disclaimer, the words "MY CAPS KEY IS STUCK" appear. I lol'd.)

Other than these, the game seems to run just fine. It's just the first one that's annoying as.....overcooked noodles.

EDIT: Learned that I can exit the game via the Main Menu, but something is still up with every GM Game I play.
Miclus discovered the Miclus! ...Wait, what?
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOGMGOMGOMGOMGOGMGOMGOMGOGMOGMG

*head explodes*

Will try right now!

EDIT: Love it, just love it. A few minor glitches I noticed though:
- I get Objective Fail no matter what. Probably just me being epic fail though, will investigate further tomorrow while I'm testing the Thunder Force Music Mod.
- After playing Stage 1, 3-A or 6-B and defeating Techno-Ayako, the transition effect happens immediately after the boss is defeated and the Stage Complete graphics appear, cutting off the music in Arcade Mode (except in Conquest Mode, where you're in the Conquest menu and the music is still playing). Since the main thing these stages have in common is the boss I guess that's the area that might be causing it.
- In Conquest Menu after playing a stage, pressing the Bomb button does nothing, but selecting any stage with SHIFT makes you reset.
- Not really a bug, but I swear all of the ships from v0.2 as well as the new ones have slower vertical speed. Am I right, and if so is this intentional?
- I had some problems trying to change the bullet colours until I realised the cursor had to be on the bullet in question and the Miclus had to be next to something else. I was a bit confused by that and the readme didn't mention anything about it.
- The Raiden MK-II laser. I knew from the pictures it was going to be better. The feeling of playing with it is different from v0.2 - sometimes it feels like the Lock-On beam from the original XF, other times it feels exactly like how it is in Raiden II. Oh, and the Raiden MK-II Beta rocks, I'll be certainly using that more.
- Jade Knight's green lasers look better than what they did when you made the YouTube video regarding them. That had me surprised (good thing). The option for the different type of slaves with the Gradius/Parodius ships minus Vic Viper is interesting too. Love the Mega Beam Cannon too. :D
I think that's it. I also could not quit by pressing X running Windows XP but that's obviously intentional and it's of no fuss to me. I also have a friend who has Windows 7 and will get him to try it out as soon as I can.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

ooh excited - downloading now!!

EDIT - Played it and still loving it - even if I'm no good at it!

I did notice that when selecting stages on conquest mode sometimes it randomly resets the game. I think this is usually when I have played a level and it's returned me to stage select and I've gone to select another stage. I'm using the Z button not shift by the way 9as has been mentioned above).
Last edited by monkeyman on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My shmup Projects
Finished: Invader! -- Tri Hunter -- Proj Raiden
WIP: Infinity Squadron
Gespenst

Re: Xeno Fighters R: A revival of Xeno Fighters EX

Post by Gespenst »

BPzeBanshee wrote:
Video System's Turbo Force
TURBO FORCE! That was it!
I remember that game - I've played it on its actual arcade machine, quite the interesting game though I swear their blue laser ripped off of Raiden.
Good god, it took an age for me to get these:
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Sendspace is a bit meh, so I put up these mirrors for those who just can't get at the files there:

Post RC2-edit:

If you already downloaded RC1, just grab the update at http://www.ghegs.com/files/XenoFighters ... update.zip.

Otherwise:

Game EXE, DLLs, and external resources - music NOT INCLUDED (23.33 MB): http://www.ghegs.com/files/XenoFightersR_v0_6_RC2.zip
MP3 music pack - place into 'music' folder (38.52 MB): http://www.ghegs.com/files/XenoFightersR-MP3.zip
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Awesome. You did an amazing job of staying true to the Parodius character's sprites in shifting them to a top-down perspective. I'm not having much luck using them in battle though - same with the Gradius ships.

-Not a major bug at all, but when you have two Gyaragas, flashing green boxes appear over the cockpits. I think that may be my favourite ship next to the Raiden Mk. 2.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

v0.6 Beta RC2 has been released. This fixes a few annoying issues with the menu interface and the end-of-stage transition issues iafter defeating Techno-Ayako.

EXE and updated external graphic (11.85 MB): http://www.sendspace.com/file/644y53
NOTE: You will need to have downloaded the v0.6 Beta RC1, then overwrite the files with the v0.6 Beta RC2 versions in the file above.
Game EXE, DLLs, and external resources - music NOT INCLUDED (23.33 MB): http://www.ghegs.com/files/XenoFightersR_v0_6_RC1.zip
MP3 music pack - place into 'music' folder (38.52 MB): http://www.ghegs.com/files/XenoFightersR-MP3.zip
Full v0.6 RC2 Zip - music NOT INCLUDED (23.32 MB): http://www.sendspace.com/file/apn1fp

Changelog:
*FIXED: Screen transition occurring immediately after the Stage Clear text appears in Arcade Mode, cutting off the Stage Clear music when a boss music entry in the music INI is set to NONE.
*FIXED: Game window close button (the 'X' button) now works, closing the game window.
*FIXED: Pressing the Fire button in the Conquest Mode menu after clearing/failing a stage no longer causes the game to reset. This was done by design, and it was a poor decision. You can now keep playing in Conquest Mode with the same ship you chose until you decide to change ships by pressing the Bomb button. The Enter key resets the game when in the Conquest Mode menu.
*FIXED: Method on how to change bullet colors now documented in help file.
*UPDATED: Stage portraits external graphic resource: Stage 4-A's Conquest Mode portrait changed to a better representative picture.
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Ultimate Gamer wrote:*For one, I can't close XFR properly without consulting Mr. Task Manager. Same applies to most GM games I play. Whenever I press the 'X' button on the game window, it doesn't do anything.
I never understood this either. I've noticed this happens any time I've unchecked the 'let ESC end game' thing. It's like either you have ESC kill the game instantly (which is not desirable in most cases) and have a working close window button, or you have neither. *shrugs*

This is looking fantastic by the way... a convincing argument as any that amazing things can come from Game Maker. ;)
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Rozyrg wrote:I never understood this either. I've noticed this happens any time I've unchecked the 'let ESC end game' thing. It's like either you have ESC kill the game instantly (which is not desirable in most cases) and have a working close window button, or you have neither. *shrugs*
I don't understand it myself. I did learn that you CAN customize the behavior of the close window button in Game Maker. It is the "Close Button" event, located in the Other (green diamond) category. This is useful if you unchecked the "Treat the close button as <Esc> key" setting in your Game Settings page. I have mine set to clear stuck keys (which is a problem in many GM games) before closing the game.
Drum wrote:Not a major bug at all, but when you have two Gyaragas, flashing green boxes appear over the cockpits.
That's the visible hitbox for the two ships. You can turn off the hitbox visibility in the Options menu. As for why the hitboxes are so big for Gyaraga's double-ship mode, it is to balance out the fact that this gives the Gyaraga the ability to withstand an extra hit, as well as the massive firepower the Gyaraga gains in this mode.
BPzeBanshee wrote:I get Objective Fail no matter what.
It is now difficult to get an Objective Complete for boss parts you have to destroy. Just speedkilling, say, Silver Banshee's radar, will still result in an Objective Fail. To succeed in Stage 2's objective, you have to destroy Silver Banshee's radar as the boss warning is onscreen and blaring loudly. you are given a 5-second window to destroy the specified part. This pretty much forces you to weather many of the bosses attacks while steadily damaging the target part, then delivering the killing blow when the WARNING appears.

We previously had it if you speedkill parts like Silver Banshee's radar, you complete the objective. This actually made it more difficult to fail an objective than completing it.

There is one minor glitch I forgot to address in v0.6 RC2. When you return to the Conquest Mode menu after clearing a stage, and you're using an alternate ship (such as the Blue Javelin), playing another stage again at this point will give you the "normal" ship of that alt (in the Blue Javelin's case, you'd get the Judge Spear). To fix this, press the Bomb button to return to the ship select screen and select your alternate ship again. You will return to the Conquest Mode menu with the proper alternate ship.
Drum
Banned User

Re: Xeno Fighters R (February 8, 2010: v0.6 Beta RC2 released)

Post by Drum »

It crashed to Windows when I beat the boss of the Chechnya stage with Hikaru (who I'd seriously underestimated). Is that supposed to happen? Couldn't make a note of the error message, sorry - that disappered when I clicked 'Debug'.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Alluro wrote:There is one minor glitch I forgot to address in v0.6 RC2. When you return to the Conquest Mode menu after clearing a stage, and you're using an alternate ship (such as the Blue Javelin), playing another stage again at this point will give you the "normal" ship of that alt (in the Blue Javelin's case, you'd get the Judge Spear). To fix this, press the Bomb button to return to the ship select screen and select your alternate ship again. You will return to the Conquest Mode menu with the proper alternate ship.
Why not just make it so that you are returned to ship select screen when you finish a stage in conquest (after you have entered your name for high scores), or instead have options of RETRY - SELECT STAGE - SELECT CRAFT? I know it's a little thing but these things make a difference.
My shmup Projects
Finished: Invader! -- Tri Hunter -- Proj Raiden
WIP: Infinity Squadron
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

monkeyman wrote:
Alluro wrote:There is one minor glitch I forgot to address in v0.6 RC2. When you return to the Conquest Mode menu after clearing a stage, and you're using an alternate ship (such as the Blue Javelin), playing another stage again at this point will give you the "normal" ship of that alt (in the Blue Javelin's case, you'd get the Judge Spear). To fix this, press the Bomb button to return to the ship select screen and select your alternate ship again. You will return to the Conquest Mode menu with the proper alternate ship.
Why not just make it so that you are returned to ship select screen when you finish a stage in conquest (after you have entered your name for high scores), or instead have options of RETRY - SELECT STAGE - SELECT CRAFT? I know it's a little thing but these things make a difference.
Good idea. I might just do the RETRY/SELECT STAGE/SELECT CRAFT approach. Right now, returning to the ship select screen is a workaround to this glitch in RC2.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

It is now difficult to get an Objective Complete for boss parts you have to destroy. Just speedkilling, say, Silver Banshee's radar, will still result in an Objective Fail. To succeed in Stage 2's objective, you have to destroy Silver Banshee's radar as the boss warning is onscreen and blaring loudly. you are given a 5-second window to destroy the specified part. This pretty much forces you to weather many of the bosses attacks while steadily damaging the target part, then delivering the killing blow when the WARNING appears.
Will download RC2 later today and do further testing.
Kitoari

Post by Kitoari »

I am so pumped for this! Downloading it now. Although, all my KiTN music is stuck on my adware infected compy so I might have to do without that for a while. Oh well.
(I'm marche102, by the way.)

Edit: Hmm, I can't seem to access it. Did the file get renamed?
sjoecool1991

Post by sjoecool1991 »

I get an error, here is the exact words on my screen.

ERROR in
action number 1
of Other Event: Game Start
for object obj_gameinit:

Error defining an external function.
Kitoari

Post by Kitoari »

sjoecool1991 wrote:I get an error, here is the exact words on my screen.

ERROR in
action number 1
for object obj_gameinit:

Did you download the RC1 files? You need those too, but it seems its 404ing on that file. I'm asking someone to mirror it though.

Edit: Found the old sendspace link:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/f5p0oa
Use this with the RC2 exe.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

@ sjoecool

Also, did you extract all of the DLL files into the game's folder? The "error defining an external function" message is usually because the DLLs are not present in the same folder as the game EXE.
sjoecool1991

Post by sjoecool1991 »

Downloaded it again, same problem, downloaded the old game, then the patch, same problem.
I have tried it again and again, all the same problem.

I wonder if using Windows7 has anything to do with it.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

sjoecool1991 wrote:Downloaded it again, same problem, downloaded the old game, then the patch, same problem.

using 64 bit or 32 bit

i'll test 32 bit tonight, the previous builds worked on that
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
sjoecool1991

Post by sjoecool1991 »

Twiddle wrote:
sjoecool1991 wrote:Downloaded it again, same problem, downloaded the old game, then the patch, same problem.

using 64 bit or 32 bit

i'll test 32 bit tonight, the previous builds worked on that
64 bit, new computer, just got it last week.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

sjoecool1991 wrote:64 bit, new computer, just got it last week.
All right. I've tested Xeno Fighters R on a 32-bit Windows 7 computer. The problem was narrowed down to one of the DLLs responsible for reading and writing the high score table files. I was able to contact the author of the DLL on the Game Maker Community forums and he was able to fix it so that the DLL works on 32-bit Windows 7 computers.

I'll report that the DLL has issues in 64-bit Windows 7 to the author.
sjoecool1991

Post by sjoecool1991 »

Thanks, that would be awesome.
Been wanting to play this new version for a while now.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

{wonders if the Stymphalian Birds start thinking of Herakles when the Raiden Mk-II shows up. Really, they don't last long at ALL against the plasma laser...}

Out of curiosity, did you preview the E-57 already, or not?
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I get an error, here is the exact words on my screen.

ERROR in
action number 1
for object obj_gameinit:

I get this on a certain model of school computer that has no sound drivers (comes up with said error for that as well) but also has some odd way of restricting ALL Game Maker games. I suggest that anyone having this issue turn off their antivirus or something if its a very strict system like Forefront Client Security.

Also, I'm getting closer to making my Thunder Force Music Mod complete - it's just a matter of getting the timing right with my Gemini Wing remixes, finding something for Stage EX-3, EX-6 and 5-C etc and normalising all of the songs so they sound the same volume (I amplify the tracks and put them in OGGs).
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Well, I thought I would drop in my own music pack as well (for 0.6 beta RC2). It replaces every track outside 4-B's stage and EX stages (and boss themes) because A. 4-B is not playable B. EX stages should be left intact. Oh yeah it also adds Boss 1 and 5-C theme. Be aware that this replaces most of original soundtrack and config. I could have done it better but whatever.

!!! THE SOUNDTRACK IS 72MB BIG DUE GOOD QUALITY SO DON'T BITCH ABOUT IT !!!

Link: http://www.phenomer.net/hosted/zero_inv ... erpack.zip

Here's the track list:

Code: Select all

Stage 1 - Master Hatchet - Fire and Sharks not included! (Fire Shark)
Stage 1 Boss Theme - Sato, Sekiguchi, Tsushima, Ewagano - BOSS #1 (Psyvariar Complete)
Stage 2 - Manabu Namiki and Mitsuhiro Kaneda - Deserted - Ane to Ototo to... (Espgaluda II) 
Stage 2 Boss Theme - SSH - Great Battleship (Thunder Cross)
Stage 3-A - Master Hatchet - Galloping Thunder (Raiden 1&2)
Stage 3-B - Vertexguy - Dezant (Lords of Thunder)
Stage 3-B Boss theme - SSH - Ultimate Destroyer (Blast Wind)
Stage 4-A - SSH - Rising Blue Lighting (Thunder Force V)
Stage 4-A Boss theme - Manabu Namiki and Mitsuhiro Kaneda - Descend (Espgaluda II)
Stage 5-C - Benevolent Demise - Stage 1 (Journey to Silius)
Stage 5-C Boss theme - ??? (To be filled) - Hyper Duel (Hyper Duel Saturn ver.)
Stage 6-B - SSH - Steel of Destiny (Thunder Force V)
Also. I'm also using W7-64bit Ultimate. I can confirm that everytime I click exit button, it resets the game HOWEVER just quit the game via menu guys. it works well.
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Seeing the Thunder Force V remixes by SSH, I can already tell that's gonna be a great music mod. :D
Will download once I get my existing music mods sorted for sure.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Seeing the Thunder Force V remixes by SSH, I can already tell that's gonna be a great music mod. :D
Will download once I get my existing music mods sorted for sure.
I will be updating this soundtrack on a daily basis with each new demo/beta build up for public. That's 100% sure, if I forget to update it, just remind me via PM.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Xeno Fighters R v0.6 Beta RC3 has been released.

EXE only (11.73 MB): http://www.mediafire.com/?wmgvymymzyn
NOTE: The required DLLs and external resources are in the RC2 full package: http://www.mediafire.com/?eezxd522ynm
The optional default MP3 music pack (38.52 MB): http://www.mediafire.com/?lhfju23dmly

v0.6 Beta RC3 Changelog

*CHANGED: Raiden mk-IIβ's Spread Vulcan has been tweaked so that the bullets hit the moment they are fired from the ship, as opposed few frames after being fired. The point-blanking ability of the mk-IIβ has been vastly improved.
*CHANGED: Raiden mk-II's Lock-On Plasma Laser has been reverted to the v0.2 RC2 algorithm. The attempt at a new algorithm for v0.6 did not pan out well. Also, the firepower of the Lock-On Plasma Laser has been reduced for all power levels.
*CHANGED: Raiden mk-II's Homing Missiles now time out if on screen for 5 seconds. This happens primarily during the Silver Banshee fight, when its core suddenly appears. The Homing Missiles would get stuck in orbit around the core forever, with the Raiden mk-II unable to fire off any more missiles.
*ADDED: In Conquest Mode, a new menu has been added after you play a stage (whether by clearing it, quitting it, or game over). From that menu, you can choose to retry the current stage, change stages, change fighters, or reset the game.
*CHANGED: Conquest Mode default high scores adjusted. 2.5 million is now the top default score with subsequent scores going down by increments of 500,000.
*FIXED: Lord British and Hikaru can now adjust the width of their F-Option formations by moving up or down. Moving up will make the formation narrower, concentrating these fighters' firepower in a single spot. Moving down will widen the formation. This fix was made to address balance issues with these fighters trying to complete Stage 2's objective by destroying Silver Banshee's radar during the timeout warning. Hikaru especially found it impossible to destroy the radar before it timed out, since her firepower is spread out at all times.
EddyMRA

Re: Xeno Fighters R (February 10, 2010: v0.6 Beta RC3 released)

Post by EddyMRA »

v0.6 RC4 released. It is a quickfix for a bug I overlooked in the Options Menu.

EXE Only - if you have RC2 installed already, just download this and overwrite the RC2 EXE (11.72 MB): http://www.mediafire.com/file/tzxxzkmyn ... update.zip

v0.6 RC4 full ZIP package - EXE, DLLs, external resources (23.33 MB): http://www.mediafire.com/file/nnlmwnnjm ... _6_RC4.zip

The optional default MP3 music pack (38.52 MB): http://www.mediafire.com/?lhfju23dmly

v0.6 RC4 Changelog:
*FIXED: The bullet color change option in the Options Menu was inadvertently disabled. Fixed and working 100%.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Alluro wrote:*FIXED: Lord British and Hikaru can now adjust the width of their F-Option formations by moving up or down. Moving up will make the formation narrower, concentrating these fighters' firepower in a single spot. Moving down will widen the formation. This fix was made to address balance issues with these fighters trying to complete Stage 2's objective by destroying Silver Banshee's radar during the timeout warning. Hikaru especially found it impossible to destroy the radar before it timed out, since her firepower is spread out at all times.
I gotta say, hell yes. Thanks for fixing that Alluro, now it is possible to destroy the radar with both Lord British and Hikaru/Akane.