Knight of Cancer REVISION - *in progress*

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
ForceDevice

Knight of Cancer REVISION - *in progress*

Post by ForceDevice »

I don't think anyone here remembers me or this game, but... I've recently started working on a new version, with more interesting scoring mechanics, revamped graphics, less crappy music, an actual story and cutscenes (they're pretty long and text-heavy, but don't worry, you can skip them). For now only the first stage is finished, but seeing as everything else is pretty much done and all that's left is some tweaking, the complete version shouldn't take long to be ready.

DEMO - Stage 1

The game restarts after you kill the first boss and exit the screen. And I know my writing sucks. No need to tell me. :P
Last edited by ForceDevice on Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 8 times in total.
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

Looks interesting. But i can't get it to work in full screen. It just shows youtube-sized window and everything else is black. If it's in GM, allow it to stretch or switch resolutions.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
ForceDevice

Post by ForceDevice »

Whoops, forgot to change the fullscreen option in the Global Game Settings.

I'll post a new demo with this problem fixed soon.

EDIT: Done. F4 changes fullscreen mode.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

The little "yay points" icons clutter the screen and are unreadable anyway
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Ed Oscuro wrote:The little "yay points" icons clutter the screen and are unreadable anyway
I agree, the proper way to do it is to make them unobtrusive, or only appear when it won't bother the player and will look cool at the same time (Cave is good at doing this .. )
ForceDevice

Post by ForceDevice »

Ed Oscuro wrote:The little "yay points" icons clutter the screen and are unreadable anyway
Udderdude wrote:I agree, the proper way to do it is to make them unobtrusive, or only appear when it won't bother the player and will look cool at the same time (Cave is good at doing this .. )
yeah, now I see the icons are kinda merging with the enemy and bullet sprites... I should have noticed.

I can fix this quite easily by simply changing the depth of the object responsible for drawing these icons, and adding some effects to the text, so it stands out from everything else and yet it doesn't look messy, Cave-style. 8)

Will work on this right away. Expect more screenshots to be posted soon.

EDIT: Changed the color of the icons to white, and made the souls slightly darker to add some contrast. The result, at least for me, seems much better than before. And since the whole game will use darker backgrounds, white's just the perfect color for that.

Unfortunately, GM doesn't seem to have a command to draw outlined text, so that's probably the best it can look like.

Looks better in motion, but I'll wait until more changes are made to upload another demo.
ForceDevice

Post by ForceDevice »

So, after being left alone for months because I'm a lazy bastard who hates drawing sprites...

...IT'S FINISHED!!!!!

First post will be edited and have a shiny download link in a few minutes.
NARFNra

Linux

Post by NARFNra »

Is it playable in linux?
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

link doesnt work
ForceDevice

Post by ForceDevice »

NARFNra wrote:Is it playable in linux?
No idea. I'm afraid you will have to run it and see for yourself. Sorry :(

It's worth trying though, as the zip file is really small in size and it requires no install or anything of the sort. Do let me know if you try and it works.
jonny5 wrote:link doesnt work
Strange... you're the first person who couldn't get it to work.

Try this one, it's the 64digits page it's hosted on.
ForceDevice

Re: Knight of Cancer REVISION - *in progress*

Post by ForceDevice »

Bump

Played this again after a long time, realized it looked, sounded and played like crap, started making it less crappy. The first post now has new screenshots and an upated stage 1 demo. Complete game soon to follow.