Space force G on Indie Games Xbox 360 Preview

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Phaxan

Space force G on Indie Games Xbox 360 Preview

Post by Phaxan »

Hello everyone,

I'd like to present you a personal project I work on for several months now. I plan to release it on XBox 360 Indie games in mid 2010. Working alone on everything ( programming, arts & music ), it's kinda challenging but I'll do my best. My references are Thunder Force, Gaiares, Aero Blasters and Otomedius G ( for the anime style ), here is the link of my dev blog :

http://munesoft.blogspot.com/

The 2D engine is almost done, I work actually on attack patterns and menu. Then I'll come back to designing enemies.

See you soon !
Udderdude

Re: Space force G on Indie Games Xbox 360 Preview

Post by Udderdude »

I like the Aero Blasters look/theme.

One thing I notice is that it seems you can't even kill half the stage 1 enemies. Either they have too much health or you don't have enough firepower. Either way, it seems a bit Euroshmuppish.
Phaxan

Post by Phaxan »

True. The scenarics and HP rules are not set yet. As for the euroshmuppish look, the fact I'm french must be the reason. By the way, what did you make you think that way ? I try to make the more 'japanese' look I can so It would help me a lot if you could argue more ( characters ? euromusic ?). Thanks !
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

Euroshmup look is a good thing. Euroshmup gameplay is a problem.
Your ship seems to have very little firepower. You mentioned you played Thunderforce, notice how much damage you deal there, you shouldn't have to shoot a smallest enemy for 3 seconds to destroy it. And of course there are ways to destroy enemies not directly in front of you.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
Phaxan

Post by Phaxan »

Ok, thanks ! I haven't worked that much on this part up to now, I should have specified this video is an early version of the engine ( so many things to do in the same time in fact :mrgreen: ). The gameplay in the video is for sure boring and not "rewarding" since I hardly beat a bunch of enemies ( besides, there were only 2 attack patterns, I have 9 actually ) but that was above all to introduce the project to any people interested in shmups on Xbox. For now I just hope to make something valuable to the Indie plateform ( I can't imagine making something for the XBLA, Ikaruga is unbeatable anyway ). For sure your reactions are appriciated :)
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Heh, well we can only comment on what we see. Right now the game flow has problems due to only high-hit point enemies, robotic movements, and everything coming in waves. Though, the art is nice and the engine is getting there.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Graphics are pleasant enough and engine all looks like it's working fine but maybe you should hold off on the grand unveiling until you have something more representetive of the gameplay your aiming for.

I'll also mention what everyone else has mentioned already which is that enemies seem to take too long to die.
My shmup Projects
Finished: Invader! -- Tri Hunter -- Proj Raiden
WIP: Infinity Squadron
Phaxan

Post by Phaxan »

monkeyman wrote:Graphics are pleasant enough and engine all looks like it's working fine but maybe you should hold off on the grand unveiling until you have something more representetive of the gameplay your aiming for.

I'll also mention what everyone else has mentioned already which is that enemies seem to take too long to die.
Good point, I may reconsider rushing to post vids till I have something more constructive to show.
Slump

Post by Slump »

From a fellow XNA'er I can say I'm certainly jealous of your ability to create your own art for you game :D . I'd say from the looks of it you've got a ways to go but the engine seems to run well enough at such a short glimpse.
alastair jack

Post by alastair jack »

Seems pretty nice so far, I don't really like how the character covers the whole screen though when you do a bomb - it's nice art, but I'd rather be looking at the game.
The sky transition from blue to red was a little too fast, would have been nicer to see at least some sort of transition.
Also, I think the background buildings should be easier to see (the ones behind the front buildings) you can hardly see them. Maybe they should be moved up a bit in the background, they're sort of drowning in their smallness.