What type of TV/Monitor would I need for a supergun?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dazzyman

What type of TV/Monitor would I need for a supergun?

Post by Dazzyman »

Sorry Im new to the world of arcade and superguns so know nothing about them.

Basically Im thinking of buying my first supergun soon and lost of what Id need (Ive seen some Vega ones about). I only want one for vertical shmups as will be getting stuff like Ibara and I take it that if I use a supergun with a pcb that it will come out horizontal on a telly unless its rotated? (as otherwise iD use me 46" sony but I cant rotate that!).

Superguns Ive seen say their scart so is their any specific tv Id need for hz or they all fine (be UK telly aka tv). Or can I use a monitor or dont they have vga on em or accept it?

Reason is im looking into something up to £300 for around 26" maxsih but it must have some sort of rotating stand that will allow me to do potrait as I have very very bad walls that crumble and cant take much weight (had a disabled room built by council downstairs and well its crap lol) so as Im going to use it 99% for just vertical shmups it must have potrait function.

If anyone can point me in right direction of what HDTV panels are good or monitors or any suggestiongs/pitfalls to watch would be most appreciated as Ive wanted to get into arcade shmups for years.

Candy cab/arcade is out of question for me dont have the room for it so thats why its got to be supergun.

Thanks for any help

Darren
neorichieb1971

Re: What type of TV/Monitor would I need for a supergun?

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Hi Dazzyman,

You might remember me from nextgen era. (RichieB)

Since you have a handicap tipping a CRT on its side is going to be a nightmare. Amazon do an LCD swivel, but 46" seems a bit big.

You could try a PC monitor using a transcoder but thats going to cause upscaling issues to the image.

So, if you want the best PQ, stick with a RGB TV, get two of them if you can and put them side by side, one hori and one TATE (portrait as you call it).

There is no perfect solution, since ease of use vs image quality has been a catch 22 since the dawn of LCD TV's. If you have an old Amiga monitor knockin about that will do fine until you sort out a solution for yourself.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Dazzyman

Post by Dazzyman »

Hi Richie

Yea I definetly need to get a new television just for me supergun as I couldnt keep rotating the big 46" all time. Id rather have a seperate area and have it setup next to us and bite the bullet of having an outlay of a new television as well for it.

I aint got any old monitors/tellys anyway m8 I use my PC what Im typing on now via the Sony telly. I did have a 28" CRT which would have been perfect but it blew up hence getting the Sony one 3yrs ago lol (still have the gouges in that on chest of drawers when my dad tated it for us for Ikaruga on DC :lol: ).

I mean it aint going to be used other than arcade pcb vertical and I might end up having my JPN 360 dedicated to it as well. Im just looking I guess on that one for a telly I can go buy on the highstreet that has rotating stand like any Samsung? Just as I have a nightmare time even getting out of the house its hard for me to go just look thats why I need models. I dont mind paying £50 for a rotating stand if their is such a thing but when I looked earlier all I could find was ones for £115+ from Dell which is starting to smart! I dont really want a convertor either if its going to degrade a signal. Its reason I want to get one in first place for Ibara due to PS2 one being blurry as hell :lol:
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Well, I was going to buy a Hanspree for supergun purposes at one point, but its a bit small.

The positives are -

1) Its 4:3, which is good for supergun use.
2) Its RGB, component, HDMI and VGA compatible, meaning your covered either way
3) If its VGA its likely to have monitor type controls like stretch, vertical, horizontal shift

Although RGB SCART might not support the above.

4) Its LCD and light.
5) It uses a standard 4 hole mount plate, so you could buy a broken monitor off ebay, lop off the rotating swivel and put this TV on it.

Negatives -

1) The audio is shite. (I recommend some X-230 logitech speakers for £30 off amazon).
2) I have no freakin idea how it performs at all.
3) Its 19", which is quite small, but since your going to have your nose right up to it, it might just be what you need.

But considering your a supergun noob (no offense intended), it would double up for many other purposes. So you wouldn't have wasted a lot of money on something that is just for supergun use. I still might buy one, but someone has my supergun right now and he isn't hurrying to fix it.

The model is called the Hanspree HT11.

Best of luck Darren.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Its 4:3, which is good for supergun use
it's a 5:4 display like all 19" LCDs which means you'll have black bars on top on 4:3 inputs or your image gets stretched to match the screen.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Yeah, I just read that in the listing. I thought it was a typo :lol:
Dazzyman

Post by Dazzyman »

Id want something around 24" to 26" anyway m8 but thanks and 16:9

How about this combi monitor/tv (only thing as Im a supergun newb is their a min limit on hz range Id need like 15hz for something like Ibara)

Only tech spec I can find is the 24" version (as Id be intresed in the 26" one)
Samsung T240HD from what Ive read its got a RGB port as well but range says 30hzmin
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1335726)

Only other alternative really is is their anyone out their that uses standard lcd telly panels fine in UK and can reccomend a good Sammy LCD panel up to 26" and Id just bite the bulet and get a ergetron stand.

As you can imagine its the worry of going out and buying something then coming home and finding it wont accept a signal that is currently making me nervous. Once I know what I need to aim for be happy. :lol:
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I'd rather use anything over a widescreen for a supergun. You do realize that no games support 16:9 in the arcade world?

For a start, that TV would need all kinds of scaling going on, you would have black bars or super stretched screen. Fair enough if you want that, but to be honest its not the ideal screen at all. If you played natively, only 2 3rds of the screen would be utilized, and its only a 26" to start with.

Since this threads title is what it is, I would have suspected you wanting to go for something suitable for a supergun, but it seems your happy just choosing something off the shelf.

Yes, the TV you chose will work, but its far from ideal. Your also paying for so much more than you need technology wise.

If you get a supergun that supports component and RGB Scart, you will be ok signal wise.
Dazzyman

Post by Dazzyman »

No as I said Im new to all this so havent a clue.

What type would you reccomend then as if Im getting borders theirs no point with a 16:9 I want something thats going to work perfect for a supergun or no point (I thought it would be like tate mode on a console on a 16:9 telly didnt reliase they arent that native rez as Ive never been near a cab in years and never seen one or touched one to rotate it).

A big hulking CRT tho I dont think I have room but thats looking more and more like it might be the only option. If I did then Id might be better off just buying a candy cab.

Ive just read this thread regarding LCD panels
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... gun+output
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... gun+output

Sounds abit of a no go without having to spend even more money and finding a scaler
Last edited by Dazzyman on Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

if you can manage to get the room you should go for something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-Television-S ... 20ae5f5c5b

there cheap , have an excellent RGB picture and once you get into the service menu there fully adjustable just like an arcade monitor
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Do not buy an LCD unless you're going to use a decent upscaler like an XRGB2 otherwise low res PCBs like Ibara will look like ass. A CRT will give a much better picture. Find a used 25" with RGB Scart locally, a decent brand (Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba), one that will balance well. Make sure its completely off when rotating and it'll be fine.

For your Supergun, buy Japanese (Sigma, Pana, Vega) and get a Euro wired Scart from VGI.

Bobs your mums brother.
Last edited by SuperPang on Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dazzyman

Post by Dazzyman »

Cheers everyone.

Id get a Gun from Lee at VGI Pang be first thing I did as hes a top bloke :D Its actually cheered me up as I dont have to spend about £350 on a telly and stand! Can just pick up a CRT I guess from either auction house or on ebay. Im a big fan of Sony Trintrons Ive still got my 15yr old portable in kitchen for parents so Id try and find something like that.

I take it Id want a 4:3 CRT as well?
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Yes. Not a single 9:16 shmup in arcades yet, may well never be due to a lack of backwards compatibility.
Dazzyman

Post by Dazzyman »

Cheers Superpang.

Did you used to be on VGI forums by anychance as the name rings a bell (sorry I had a coma few years back now and loads of stuff got wiped and gets wiped lol).

Guess all I have to do now then is get saving heh :lol:

JPN 360, shmups and a arcade machine mmm lovely :wink: :D
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Dazzyman wrote:

be warned once your bitten by the arcade bug expect to be very skint ;P . great fun playing arcade PCBs at home though :)
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Dazzyman wrote:Did you used to be on VGI forums by anychance as the name rings a bell
Aye, JOe here. Super Monkey Balls on NTC-SUK too.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Trevor spencer wrote:
Dazzyman wrote:

be warned once your bitten by the arcade bug expect to be very skint ;P . great fun playing arcade PCBs at home though :)

Depends on timing, availability and titles you choose. Sounds like everyone likes to test drive the PCB market like buying a first car of a mini, then upgrading straight to Rolls Royce status with their Cave kits and such. I must admit It didn't take me long to get that far into it. Its a scary thought actually. However, many of the titles are of the same ilk, so there is a cheap alternative that is just as rewarding as the more expensive ones.
Dazzyman

Post by Dazzyman »

For me its quite a long story. About 7-8yrs ago I got into Pinball tables. At the time it was either get a cab and Radien Fighther/Do/Don Pachi or get Pinball table and I chose pinballs. Ive always regretted it. My health eventually detioarted so bad that I couldnt mess with em as they take some maintaining just for cleaining and I cant solder (had traded up to an immaculate Medieval Madness and brand new LOTR trilogy) so I to get rid of one for the room for a chuffing leccy hospital bed then the other went for a telly and PS3. I didnt loose any moeny infact I made money but I met alot of bad and dodgy sellers in the pinball world which has put me off em for life tbh and Id be seriously warey about ever going back even if I could.

My shmups I just play and play. I pretty much found Lee at VGI around the same time and got a Saturn and a stack of shmups. He reccomened Battle Garraga (still my fav) and Ive gone from their. Ive always like em but as Ive got older its these style of games I seem to want more than out else. I wont deny I love me deep console games but I still finish them then go back to a go of Battle G on the Saturn.

I think thats why I adore Ibara after Battle G so much and quite happy to go thru alot even though I can just play it on PS2. I also know what IM like Im very single minded when I get into something and can see me binning saving for 360/PS3 games (apart from me shmups) so I can get Pink Sweets and bit of Pork sword within end of 2010. :mrgreen: My spends is a game a week so 3months thats a PCB instead I guess.

Thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it and will be nagging for a good place to get some boards prob by end of March at latest :wink: