RQ: Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 information

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Skykid

RQ: Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 information

Post by Skykid »

msm wrote:i'm struggling with manic mode scoring in this game, and not getting on that well with the game in general which is surprising as it seems so highly recommended.
This echoes my feeling so far. True, I've only had the game three days, but I'm finding it very frustrating at times - not exactly what I expected.
I wanted to start with Original, and move to Maniac. Ultra is just nuts - I consider myself an ok Cave player, but I'm not even going to go there.

I was hoping someone could help me answer a few questions about how you play. Most of these will relate to Original mode, but probably cross over to Maniac too.

- Are there certain enemies that will always drop large gems, regardless of shot type? In all the action sometimes I can't tell.

- (mainly Original mode) I'm having a very hard time keeping tabs on the counter switching colour. I tend to look at the top left to see where I am rather than staring directly at Reco. Both are uncomfortable. Looking at Reco is tough because the counter is lost in the action, and my eyes don't naturally rest so close to the character. Glancing to the top left, especially in boss battles, causes obvious problems. Anyone got a better method?

- I'm finding attempting to score is really fucking up my chances of survival. I want some tips on how you play. It's okay until stage 3, but I seem to find that there are many occasions from there on in where you need to switch weapons (for instance C on multiple little enemies, and A for attacking larger ones) but this doesn't always correlate to scoring. It gets bloody difficult to use a spread attack on a large enemy just for score - how do you guys do it, do you just occasionally throw scoring out the window to concentrate on survival?

- The different player types: Reco/Palm - Normal/Abnormal, I really can't grasp exactly which shot is stronger A or C. I've looked at EOJ's guide, but they still seem to be all over the place, especially on the stage 2 boss.
I'm guessing Reco Normal 'A' shot is stronger, but sometimes this doesn't match with the scoring at certain points. Pain in the ass. :x

- Finally, just some straight up tips. Don't need detailed reasons, just some hints for the following. For survival only, which characters and option types are best for beginners on both Original and Maniac modes?

Thanks all for the help in advance! This isn't meant to sound like I'm hating on the game, it's just tougher to get into than I expected. I'm sure it'll blossom into something truly incredible in due course. :)
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

EPS21

Re: RQ: Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 information

Post by EPS21 »

I'd say in general, Reco normal and Palm abnormal are the best for survival. I don't like having to adjust normal Palm's child lasers on bosses to do more damage (where abnormal Palm is better for anyways), and unless you want your C to be the new A, I'd avoid abnormal Reco too, messed me up a lot every time I played her.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

EPS21 wrote:I'd say in general, Reco normal and Palm abnormal are the best for survival. I don't like having to adjust normal Palm's child lasers on bosses to do more damage (where abnormal Palm is better for anyways), and unless you want your C to be the new A, I'd avoid abnormal Reco too, messed me up a lot every time I played her.
Thanks for that mate, that's a helpful starter. I have been sticking with normal reco, but I'll give ab. Palm another shot too.

I'm finding this game hella frustrating. I'm not sure if it's because it's more difficult than I think it should be, or because on initial plays I ended up getting to the stage 5 boss almost straight away, and as soon as I learned how to score I can't clear stage 3 anymore. :?

TLB

Post by TLB »

I had always planned to play this game with Abnormal Palm from the get-go.
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

Skykid wrote:
EPS21 wrote:I'd say in general, Reco normal and Palm abnormal are the best for survival. I don't like having to adjust normal Palm's child lasers on bosses to do more damage (where abnormal Palm is better for anyways), and unless you want your C to be the new A, I'd avoid abnormal Reco too, messed me up a lot every time I played her.
Thanks for that mate, that's a helpful starter. I have been sticking with normal reco, but I'll give ab. Palm another shot too.

I'm finding this game hella frustrating. I'm not sure if it's because it's more difficult than I think it should be, or because on initial plays I ended up getting to the stage 5 boss almost straight away, and as soon as I learned how to score I can't clear stage 3 anymore. :?
Haha ain't that the truth. I had come so close to 1cc'ing DOJ white label, with half an inch of life left on the stage5 boss, and then decided I wanted to play for score and learn where to keep my chains going. Never got back to that point :oops:

Wish I could help out more, but those were my first impressions after putting about 20 credits into it. For original mode though, it seemed like, more than any other shmup, just plain sweeping left and right across the screen constantly for pretty much all the stages will get you very far, just dodging the non-aimed patterns. Or maybe most shmups are like that and I hadn't noticed it till I played this game :lol:
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Skykid wrote:- Are there certain enemies that will always drop large gems, regardless of shot type? In all the action sometimes I can't tell.
For Original, your shot type (in conjunction with the counter) will always determine what size gem will appear upon enemy destruction.
For Maniac, you can get bigger gems when you destroy an enemy with the A shot while having your gauge in the red-zone.
- (mainly Original mode) I'm having a very hard time keeping tabs on the counter switching colour. I tend to look at the top left to see where I am rather than staring directly at Reco. Both are uncomfortable. Looking at Reco is tough because the counter is lost in the action, and my eyes don't naturally rest so close to the character. Glancing to the top left, especially in boss battles, causes obvious problems. Anyone got a better method?
I haven't played the PCB in a long time, but I remember your character will emit a very faint aura that's either in green or blue depending on what the counter is currently at.
- I'm finding attempting to score is really fucking up my chances of survival. I want some tips on how you play. It's okay until stage 3, but I seem to find that there are many occasions from there on in where you need to switch weapons (for instance C on multiple little enemies, and A for attacking larger ones) but this doesn't always correlate to scoring. It gets bloody difficult to use a spread attack on a large enemy just for score - how do you guys do it, do you just occasionally throw scoring out the window to concentrate on survival?
When I do my original runs and feel that my survival isn't all that well, I only start shooting down enemies with the correct corresponding shot whenever I feel the risk is low and when the counter is coincidentally at the right amount if I wanted to shoot enemies while trying to survive. Another method I use for the big enemies (only if the counter is green) is that I try to inflict enough damage with C shot and TRY to finish it off with A-shot at the last second.
- The different player types: Reco/Palm - Normal/Abnormal, I really can't grasp exactly which shot is stronger A or C. I've looked at EOJ's guide, but they still seem to be all over the place, especially on the stage 2 boss.
I'm guessing Reco Normal 'A' shot is stronger, but sometimes this doesn't match with the scoring at certain points. Pain in the ass. :x
C-shot will always be stronger than A-shot. I'm guessing it's because of the different rate of fire each character has (some will have an endless constant stream, some will have inconsistent bursts). That being said, Palm Abnormal's A shot is INSANELY strong at point-blank.
- Finally, just some straight up tips. Don't need detailed reasons, just some hints for the following. For survival only, which characters and option types are best for beginners on both Original and Maniac modes?
Reco Normal and I'm not sure about Palm. They both seem to work.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Thanks for the tips guys. I found Abnormal Palm certainly makes a difference on original, simply because he can take down big things a little quicker, allowing you to concentrate on everything else on the screen.
Nearly made it to the LB - saw the extra life as it disappeared off the screen (it will take some learning to grab that in time) - but some progress at least.

I feel as though stage 3 is a wall (especially the last section - some nasty patterns there. Must remember to bomb.) I'm not quite as threatened by 4 with all the bullet cancelling, and 5 made me laugh - as EPS21 said, there's a lot of extreme shifting left and right and wondering how the hell you survived. Fun though.

Back to the grind, I do appreciate the info there SFKhoa, I know where I stand with the scoring now. I'm already trying some of the stuff you mentioned, but I find when it gets mad-hectic in the last two stages, scoring really has to take a back seat - it's just too frenetic. My tactic is, big enemy: A, small enemy: C, move really fast, try not to die. :D

twalden

Post by twalden »

I moved my PCB over to my 21' cab from the 29' one. So much easier to keep an eye on the counter now without stupid deaths on a smaller screen. My game improved drastically.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Hey Twalden, I'm playing on my E2, so screen size isn't an issue. Now you mention it though, anyone intending to play the port on an HD TV is going to have a hard time unless they tate the set.

I did a few more runs on this last night and things are starting to click into place. The more you point blank and the more exact you are with shot type switching, the more naturally enemies fall into place. If you mess up and kill the wrong thing with the wrong shot type, it throws the stage out of sync - if you play well though, you almost don't need to pay attention to the shot counter switching colour.

I'm dying to play Maniac, but I want my moneys worth (no cheap game!) so I'm determined to 1CC original first. Made it to stg 5 again last night w/palm abnormal. Need to use my bombs more efficiently. :x

Would you guys say Futari original mode is more difficult that it is in the first game? I can't tell tbh.

SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

SFKhoa wrote:When I do my original runs and feel that my survival isn't all that well, I only start shooting down enemies with the correct corresponding shot whenever I feel the risk is low and when the counter is coincidentally at the right amount if I wanted to shoot enemies while trying to survive. Another method I use for the big enemies (only if the counter is green) is that I try to inflict enough damage with C shot and TRY to finish it off with A-shot at the last second.
I'd like to add that this goes really well w/ bosses. When your counter's green, you can use your C-shot to damage a boss form enough to near 1 pixel left (whether it's before the boss goes another phase, or dies completely), then finish it off w/ the A shot. You'll get bigger gems like that easily.

Also, tate won't be an issue for Xbox360 users that have their console connected via VGA into a monitor that can tate (like me).
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

Skykid wrote:
I'm dying to play Maniac, but I want my moneys worth (no cheap game!) so I'm determined to 1CC original first. Made it to stg 5 again last night w/palm abnormal. Need to use my bombs more efficiently. :x
That's really the key. It murders your counter, but you get a ton of bombs in Futari so it's the easiest way through.
We are holding the secret power of shmups.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

adversity1 wrote:
Skykid wrote:
That's really the key. It murders your counter, but you get a ton of bombs in Futari so it's the easiest way through.
Thanks Adv, holding back my bombs until its too late has always been my biggest problem in shmups. I'm always trying to get through tight spots without them and it ends up costing me lives.

Oddly enough, after all the Palm biz, I switched back to Reco with a better knowledge of the stage layouts and put up my highest score yet. Khoa, I'm certainly doing the Espgaluda shot switching before a boss changes form - I just wish there was a little noise to let me know when it's coming up! :mrgreen: