Need a magical box that lets me use SCART on an LCD monitor

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Chacranajxy

Need a magical box that lets me use SCART on an LCD monitor

Post by Chacranajxy »

So here's the deal: I've got an LCD monitor that accepts HDMI, DVI, and VGA. I have a Sega Saturn and will soon have a Supergun that uses SCART, and I also have a Playstation 2 that I want to hook up via component. To be clear, I probably won't be playing anything that uses progressive scan, just in case that matters.

I need a device that'll let me use those sources on my monitor, and ideally not introduce input lag into the equation. So what options do I have? I've looked at the HD Box Pro, but that only supports component inputs. I've looked at the XRGBs, but I can't find anywhere to buy those and I don't want to buy used. Is there any good choice left, or is there some way I can get a hold of one of the XRGBs (whichever one meets my criteria best?)
Fudoh

Re: Need a magical box that lets me use SCART on an LCD monitor

Post by Fudoh »

There are zero-lag Scart to component converters for about $45 on eBay. They work well and you can pair them with many upscaling devices which usually only accept component video. Problem is that the majority of your Saturn titles are 240p and many component-only boxes like the HDBoxPro won't accept this signal from anything BUT a PS2. So, even if they're hard to come by, there's little choice besides a XRGB as long as your Saturn in involved.
Chacranajxy

Post by Chacranajxy »

Hmm.... so if I got an XRGB3, would there be a way that I could run all of my games (including Saturn and PS2 games) without lag becoming an issue? Because I've heard that the XRGB 3 has some sort of issue with that, but I'm not sure if that's only if you're using the device to upscale or what...

but yeah, the XRGB 3 is the only version of that thing that I can find online.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The 3 is the only one in production. You can find a 2 or 2plus 2nd hand only. The XRGB-3 has two operating modes. One including scaling to Full HD and other PC resolutions and one with upconverting to VGA only (640x480). The scaling mode lags with about 2.5 frames which is acceptable as long as your monitor doesn't have a long input lag by itself. The VGA upconverting mode is lagfree.
Chacranajxy

Post by Chacranajxy »

I posted something, but it's pretty clear that I should just migrate to the XRGB thread.