Post by jamma-pcb »

Hi all

Subject asks it all :0)
DC

Arcade Games for sale
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Yes, I do.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
jamma-pcb

Post by jamma-pcb »

Are they any good by any chance you got a video clip of one running

Thanks
DC

Arcade Games for sale
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Yeah, I do have one of those generic 102-in-1 Gamebox PCB setups with a ATX power supply unit included. It's just a dual layer PC setup with the top layer for the 56-pin Jamma interface. The sound effects and BGM tunes are presented in stereo if you do have an optional stereo harness adapter to take advantage of that setup in your candy cab. The only thing is that you would have to deattach the internal HDD from the Gamebox and hook it up to a secondary PC to upload your favorite arcade roms on it. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Mine:

http://www.emphatic.se/games.html#redbox

It's very small and runs AdvanceMenu + AdvanceMAME .106. I don't need the extra ATX power such as the one PCFX's uses. JAMMA power is enough.

Hardware Pentium III 1.4 gHz, 256 mb RAM
The games are stored on a CF card.

Old games plays very well (complete with the usual MAME control lag) but newer games like ESPRADE, DoDonpachi and Galaga 88 has very noticeable frame drops. I mostly play old faves like Get Star anyway so I don't care. If I want to play shooters, I put on my top hat and play PCB's.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
jamma-pcb

Post by jamma-pcb »

Is it possible to replace with a better pc
DC

Arcade Games for sale
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

On my Gamebox PCB setup, you basically make do with a Pentium based CPU that it came shipped with. On mine, it is running Win98 SE with ArcadeDOS front end + plus a few other utility programs to make everything run smoothly. The HDD installed is a 17.3GB one. When everything is connected and powered up, you have some LEDs and two cooling fans going on at the same time...it's kinda like watching a minature circus right before your very eyes. ^_~

Playing the old games like Cave's Guwange and Dangun Feveron is great but with the usual Mame lag issues...that is to be expected though. Of course, if you want the real experince and enjoyment of playing with real hardware/software, then I'd suggest going the PCB route.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
pcb_revival

Post by pcb_revival »

jamma-pcb wrote:Is it possible to replace with a better pc

Cant say I followed the thread in full but basically build your own components onto the custom base pcb.

http://www.arcadeotaku.com/forum/viewto ... f=11&t=226
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I've actually bought my Pentium III CPU on eBay and replaced the Centrino that came with the board. This reduced frame skipping greatly in DoDonpachi and Strikers 1945 for example. This is unfortunately the fastest CPU available for that CPU socket of the motherboard.
pmwolf

Post by pmwolf »

Just got one of these (100+ game one...maybe 104?).

Looked through all the documentation, and I was wondering if this has a kick-harness connector for buttons 4, 5 and 6. It has them listed on pins 25, 26 and 27 on the JAMMA connector, but all the JAMMA games I have use pin 27 for Ground, and some of them use 26 or 25 for other things.
dpful

Post by dpful »

I'd follow the documentation. I'm sure they'd try to use those extra slots (the extra ground included) rather than include a kick harness--- check to see if both grounds are traced together (if not, then they might be using one as a button). That might mean that you'll have to mod your cab/supergun to use it.
pmwolf

Post by pmwolf »

Yeah, by looking at the board, it appears as if ONLY pin 28 is used as a ground, and not pin 27. So, I have to do some rewiring to get buttons 5 and 6 to work.

Right now, I'm trying to screw with the Compact Flash card in the Gamebox in order to add my own games. The big problem seems to be this dang "endt.lst" file that tells the system how many games SHOULD be displayed (in this case, 104). Unfortunately, this file does not look like an easy edit, and I don't know how to create a new one.

(Sample Entries in the endt.lst file: EREKEHEK c EREKEHE5 c UFNIEHP c EREEKBJ ï FULUBSUI c WFI@4 UI c REFKKHHI × TWA5S HI c FSBSUNT)

I can't decipher it in notepad/wordpad, and I can't add entries in order to get the Gamebox to recognize additional games. I've even tried "tricking" the system by renaming the Rom file I want to add...but the system restarts when it begins to load the rom.

Not sure if anyone has run across this before.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

best thing you can do is buy a j-pac and place your pc somewhere near the cab. thats what i did.
best performance, best game selection, cheapest solution.
pmwolf

Post by pmwolf »

I don't disagree...but I kind of want to get this GameBox running at the moment, since I have it in hand, and (mostly) ready to go. I just want to figure out this endt.lst file first. If I can do that, then I can add 1gb of my favorite games, and that should be PLENTY.

I could just live with the 104 pre-loaded games, but it seems like I'm SO close to being able to customize it on my own. Don't want to start over with a PC setup.