Xeno Fighters R (2019 GM Studio Port)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Looks excellent!

Akira Sato and Go Sato are different unrelated people, by the way.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Twiddle wrote:Looks excellent!

Akira Sato and Go Sato are different unrelated people, by the way.
Ah, thanks for the correction. I keep on making this mistake.
Skyknight wrote:Yes, and apparently it's going to be this edition's version of the Ultima-X. (Let me think...Laser-Dark Pulse, Missile-Shadow Ball, Bomb-Night Shade?)
Wow, excellent guesses. The Missile and Laser you guessed correctly. The Bomber is a move that's a very strong Normal Special-type move that causes its user to rest for one turn after its use.
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Wow, this is really looking excellent, dude!

The Bomber is a move that's a very strong Normal Special-type move that causes its user to rest for one turn after its use.
OMG! Hyper Beam! :lol:
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

This custom music thing is really excellent. If you make your own music, you can just release a custom pack for all to "enjoy". :D

Also, will there be TATE? :lol:
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Still looking amazing - can't wait for another taster!

Have you considered using the Thunder Force ship in the game?
Claws would make excelent slaves orbiting the main ship and you could even consider toggling them between offensive and defensive (ie they either shoot or block bullets - not sure how that would work - just throwing it out there!)

There's plenty of different weapon set ups to choose from just from III and IV alone (never tried the newer game) and the Sword power up you get half way thrugh thunder force 4 would make an interesting bomb.

Keep up the good work.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

That was actually an idea I was going to suggest after having played Thunder Force 2, 3 and 4 on the weekend, however I think Alluro already had this in mind in the long run. :wink:
Good idea indeed dude! :D

One question for Alluro regarding to his new music modifing - will you be able to configure it like the previous release so that say, Level 1 will have the level 1 theme playing completely through even as you verse the boss?
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

If there are any good overhead Styx sprites, I can try to put it in as a cameo fighter. There are many good weapons from III and IV we can select from, and the CRAW would make nice Slaves for it.
BPzeBanshee wrote:One question for Alluro regarding to his new music modifing - will you be able to configure it like the previous release so that say, Level 1 will have the level 1 theme playing completely through even as you verse the boss?
That's how much freedom you will have with customization. By setting a key to a certain value, you can tell the game to not play music for a certain event at all. You can even use OGG Vorbis files if you have them.

The INI file itself will be fully documented, so that you have all the information you need to customize the soundtrack to your liking. Most importantly, I put in error-checking so that the game reports to you if there are problems with the INI file, and the steps to correct those problems.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Alluro wrote:If there are any good overhead Styx sprites, I can try to put it in as a cameo fighter. There are many good weapons from III and IV we can select from, and the CRAW would make nice Slaves for it.
Depending on your standards I may even be able to help you there. I used some TF3 sprites for an experimental project a while back. Shouldn't be too hard to modify them so you have a top down view since the banking down sprite is virtually on it's side. Claw would simply be a case of rotating the sprite.

If I ever dig out the memory stick it was on then I'll have a play around and post them here for you - if they meet your standards use them - if not, well it was worth a try. EDIT: SEE BELOW
(note - I realise TF4 was a much better ship sprite but there's no way I have the skills to modify that and not make it look out of place)

The top down sprite has been modified by me (I could tinker with it a little more if needs be), other than that, it's the original sprites rotated.

Aside from being rotated, this is exactly how it was in Thunderforce 3.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

That's how much freedom you will have with customization. By setting a key to a certain value, you can tell the game to not play music for a certain event at all. You can even use OGG Vorbis files if you have them.
:O Excellent! Now I actually have a genuine reason to convert some MP3s to OGGs. Spread the latest Xeno Fighters remake among friends with same quality, reduced filesize! Can't go wrong now!
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Guess who?

The first cameo boss in the remake. Yes, he'll have Stab and Stomp! as his boss theme. He's about 60% complete. Expect a video soon.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Garegga bosses would be awesome with destroyed at a time bonuses.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
croikle

Post by croikle »

you talking like 9M points from Mad Ball? niiice
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Hmmm...where is Black Heart going to be? From the backdrop, the only possibilities I can think of are Chechnya, Portugal (heading inland?), France, and the bonus stages.

({thinks we should have a Raiden boss--either original series or Fighters--as one of the other bonus bosses, if that's the case})
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Well I did a basic sprite rip of the Wild Weasel for Alluro, but don't get your hopes up too high. :S
nZero

Post by nZero »

Wild Weasel?

BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

More like THIS wild weasel.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

BPzeBanshee wrote:More like THIS wild weasel.
I did not even know that tank even had a name that was made public. The only ones I know that had names were in RF2: Hummingbird, Gust Weasel (beach stage tank boss), Violet Head, and Sand Lobster.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Actually, I found out there were several other RF boss names made public. Now if only it were the whole lot...

RF1:

Battleship: Bastole? (ba-su-to-ru)
St. 7 tank mid-boss: Wild Weasel G
Fortress: Octopus

RF2:

Minelayer tank: Seed Skitter
Fortress: Rafflesia
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Black Heart is pretty much complete. It still needs a few tweaks here and there.

Video (High Definition): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc1isSeeSOQ
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

This looks excellent! Level WTF FTW!

Hate to be a pain, but I'm sure I recall there being a YouTube video of the Ultima-X in action somewhere and now I can't find it. Will you be uploading an older video showing that sometime?
[A friend of mine wants to see this in action and he can't run the original XF, that's the only reason why I asked.]

I did not even know that tank even had a name that was made public. The only ones I know that had names were in RF2: Hummingbird, Gust Weasel (beach stage tank boss), Violet Head, and Sand Lobster.
I once had two images of design documents showing two bosses - the tank (which I'm certain is the Wild Weasel according to Wikipedia and possibly the RF Emporium, not sure where exactly) and a plane called the Vahrstor.
Last edited by BPzeBanshee on Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

BPzeBanshee wrote:This looks excellent! Level WTF FTW!

Hate to be a pain, but I'm sure I recall there being a YouTube video of the Ultima-X in action somewhere and now I can't find it. Will you be uploading an older video showing that sometime?
[A friend of mine wants to see this in action and he can't run the original XF, that's the only reason why I asked.]
Black Heart alone took me two days to program, including 5 hours of planning out the attacks and envisioning the GML code for it. But wow, was the effort worth it! It's one of my proudest achievements in the remake so far: recreating an aggravating Garegga boss.

I did have an Ultima-X video uploaded, but it was on my older YouTube account that is now suspended because of some stupid Heroes video I uploaded there and forgot about until it was found months later by NBC. I will upload that Ultima-X video later.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I see.
Man, I can't wait to play this! Seriously, that Black Heart looks extremely difficult, and I actually did gasp when I saw the blue lasergrid sway killing Gengar. XD
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

monkeyman wrote:Still looking amazing - can't wait for another taster!

Have you considered using the Thunder Force ship in the game?
There's also Rynex, and both RVR sprites from Storm Caliber Gaiden
http://www.ssp.x0.com/scgdwin/index.html
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

In retrospect, adding in Gengar went too far into the realm of ridiculousness. Gengar is a product of a college friend's creation for the game after he saw Zapdos playable.

Zapdos can stay, but I will either scrap Gengar outright or retool him into an existing or original SHMUP ship. I even took down the video I have of Gengar in the game.

From now on, I will deny any unreasonable or fanservice suggestions for playable characters. Many of the suggestions come from those who have followed that other project that I am part of, and got carried away with the Nintendo suggestions (the only plausible one being the Star Fox Arwing, since it is from a game that is technically a SHMUP). All current guest ships will remain, and all future guest ships will be SHMUPS-only.

I admit I get carried away with ideas, but now I am putting a stop to it. Last thing I want to do is to lose sight of what this game really is: a remake of Xeno Fighters EX, not a MUGEN equivalent where Goku, Homer Simpson, and Ryu are all SHMUP ships.

In another bit of news, I'm going to simplify the current scoring system. There is way too much emphasis on chaining to get a high score, producing lopsided scores no matter if you have 10pt medals or 100K medals appearing; getting a high chain will always give you a huge score. I will cap the multiplier to a x10 maximum, compared to the current x64 maximum. That way, you will not miss out on so much score if you ignore chaining.

tl;dr version: I got rid of the Bakraid-style multiplier system. Chaining and medaling have been made equal in terms of scoring.

EDIT: Tested revised scoring system. It is now far more forgiving. Multipliers are now equal to your chain length, capped at x10. Even if you break a chain, you can recover it without losing too many points. It also no longer overwhelms medaling. Thanks to people in IRC for the helpful feedback concerning the unbalanced scoring system.
Aru-san

Post by Aru-san »

In other words, you implemented a RFJ-like multipler system to this game.

AWESOME! 8)
[ Wonder Force IV -sorry Frenetic :c- ]
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Are the Gemini Wing planes out as well? I remember reading that you had them in mind for this game. Would be cool if you had "tail" parts as slaves, perhaps one could be the homing missile tail power up, and the other could be the one that shoots three huge fire bursts. And for smart bomb, you could have either the wiper that goes from side to side, or the horizontal line that goes straight up, killing all minor enemies.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

emphatic wrote:Are the Gemini Wing planes out as well? I remember reading that you had them in mind for this game. Would be cool if you had "tail" parts as slaves, perhaps one could be the homing missile tail power up, and the other could be the one that shoots three huge fire bursts. And for smart bomb, you could have either the wiper that goes from side to side, or the horizontal line that goes straight up, killing all minor enemies.
The Gemini Wing ships are still planned to be put in. They're SHMUP ships. Basically, the problem was is that I allowed non-SHMUP player character suggestions in earlier on. That's how Gengar got in. I'm keeping the guest roster SHMUP-only, including Parodius characters.

Aru-san: Exactly. This game now has a RFJ-like multiplier system.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

emphatic wrote:Are the Gemini Wing planes out as well? I remember reading that you had them in mind for this game. Would be cool if you had "tail" parts as slaves, perhaps one could be the homing missile tail power up, and the other could be the one that shoots three huge fire bursts. And for smart bomb, you could have either the wiper that goes from side to side, or the horizontal line that goes straight up, killing all minor enemies.
I second the 'windscreen wiper of death' !!
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

As for Gengar's sprite shift...The name "Ultima-Z" has a ring to it...

L: Chi Shockwave
M: Psi Pulse
B: Omega Force
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Here's a new Black Heart video. I also announce that Gengar is getting removed from the game, or at least retooled into something else: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmJ0jBXT-k8

For those who have not seen it in the original Xeno Fighters, here is footage of the Ultima-X: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JebJ4jFT478