Genesis model-1 on XRGB-2 produces blank screen

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kemical

Genesis model-1 on XRGB-2 produces blank screen

Post by kemical »

Alright so when hooking up my Genesis to the XRGB-2 using the correct RGB cable (also used for sigma supergun and neogeo) the XRGB-2 detects the RGB input, the green input light turns on and "no signal" disappears from the screen. But all I get is a black screen, the XRGB-2 menu is still perfectly displayable though.

When I connect the Genesis using RGB to an Amiga monitor using the same pinout it works fine...

I swear I had my genesis hooked up to the XRGB-2 in the past and it worked fine though it was a different one (still model-1 though), any idea what is up with it?
I thought the whole point of the XRGB-2 was to make this work painlessly, do I need to mod my Genesis even though I'm already getting perfect RGB output on the Amiga monitor ???
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Anything to do with JP vs EU SCART pinouts?
kemical

Post by kemical »

not sure but it probably doesn't, it is a sigma 8-pin DIN connector to JP Scart, works on their supergun, also neogeo and has the same pinout as the genesis rgb connector.. I made my own 8-pin DIN to 9-pin d-sub connector for the amiga monitor and it works with all 3, but the XRGB-2 doesn't seem to like the Genesis.

I'm going to try shoving some wires in the genesis's rgb holes and see if maybe I need to use the composite video for sync or something weird with the xrgb.. I just read that some people add a resistor and capacitor to the rgb outputs of the genesis, but I don't get why it would display perfect on the amiga monitor and not the xrgb-2.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Maybe it's not the right RGB cable after all. I guess that's why Hentai mentioned SCART (other than that, though, the Genny / XRGB2 is NTSC by definition).
kemical

Post by kemical »

I figured it out..
need to use composite video for the sync it seems..? the pin above it produces sync which just disappears after a moment, kind of weird. But the amiga monitor is happily using the pin above composite video it seems. But when I try using composite video as sync (which works great on xrgb2) on the amiga it displays all wavy and out of sync depending on overall brightness.

*edit*
traced the 8pin din to JP scart adapter..
the Sync pin goes to pin 9 on the Japanese Scart, which is sync as intended.

The composite video pin (on genesis pinout) goes to pin 5 on the Japanese scart which is Left Audio. (probably because the superugn outputs audio on that pin)

XRGB2 just doesn't like the Genesis's sync at all. But it strips the sync no problem from the Composite video.
kazuo

Post by kazuo »

Remember that the XRGB only accepts Japanese RGB pinout and not SCART... it's different. Check gamesx.com for pinouts.

I have a model 1 Genny using a Japanese RGB cable going to my XRGB2+ and it works perfectly fine.

Could also be that the pins on the console side of the cable are too thin in diameter for the console connector... although the pinout of the Genny and Neo are the same, the factory Genesis ones are thicker in diameter and cannot be used on the Neo. (My Genesis RGB cable doesn't fit into the Neo)

Good luck
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I imagine you mean Japanese RGB instead of Japanese SCART, right kemical? Did you pick up a cable from Europe? They're more common there (RGB cables for systems in other territories often need to be hand-made, I imagine it's no different with the MD where I know of no official RGB stuff) so it could have happened.

To reiterate: SCART = Europe ONLY, not what you're looking for or should be using.