Capcom CPS1 "3 Wonders" PCB question...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
PC Engine Fan X!

Capcom CPS1 "3 Wonders" PCB question...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For those of you fellow arcade PCB hobbyists, I've got a question regarding the CPS1 produced "3 in 1 Wonders" International Bios ver. PCB -- is there a suicide battery mounted to that particular PCB and is there a way to make it "suicide-free" (like the latter produced CPS2-based PCB setup)?

The hand-drawn sprites featured on this particular arcade PCB are still breathtaking today since it's worldwide release in 1991. ^_~

Imagine a Cave "Tate" arcade shmup title with such lavish "hand-drawn" sprites being produced today...would it fare well in today's arcade enviroment or be regaled to the dark & dank recesses of an arcade joint never to see the 'light of day' ever again? (Just a thought to ponder upon...) ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
footix

Post by footix »

i believe all 3 wonders to be suicide...
4 eproms reburn + fixed C board should do the job
PC Engine Fan X!

Thanks for the 411 on the CPS1 hardware info...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For footix,

Thanks for the 411 info on the "3 Wonders" PCB...

My "3 Wonders" PCB still has the original battery and still works like a charm in 2006.

I wonder just how long such a CPS1 suicide battery lasts though it was installed at the PCB manufacturing plant back in 1991?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
footix

Post by footix »

i don't know exactly about these batteries, but cps2 ones are supposed to remain power for 5 years if the boards is in storage (understand not powered up). So i suppose that batteries on cps1 should live approximately the same.
i bet your board has been played A LOT and that the estimated 5 years of non powered up time has not yet ended.
IronGiant

Post by IronGiant »

Hope it's okay to resurrect such an old thread, but I'm curious if anyone has resurrected a World version (as opposed to Japanese or US versions) of '3 Wonders' using the unencrypted US set here:

http://www.arcadecollecting.com/dead/dead.html

I'm having some graphics problems since modifying a World version of 3 Wonders which didn't have any graphics issues before the battery died. I've modified a fair few CPS1 boards in my time and this is the first one that has given me problems, possibly as a result of trying to use the only available set for the US version on a board which previously used the World version (although I've replaced the other US relevant ROMs too).

Bit of a puzzler.

Thanks
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

I have a few games which had or still have a battery from the original release. They last longer than you think, but I really need to get around to changing them.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I do get nervous about this from time to time as well. Is there no battery holder you can solder on for CPS1 PCB's, as I've seen someone do for CPS2? This would be a great improvement on battery changing.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
IronGiant

Post by IronGiant »

Yes, I don't see why you couldn't solder on a battery holder, BUT you would still need a helper battery to provide power while you're removing the original battery and attaching the holder. You'd also need the helper battery for later when swapping out the battery that's now in the holder ........... I suppose you could attach TWO battery holders ............. ;)
MKL

Post by MKL »

R-Typer wrote:You'd also need the helper battery for later when swapping out the battery that's now in the holder
Not if you swap it while the game is running.
IronGiant

Post by IronGiant »

True, but a bit risky unless you're damn careful. :)
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

R-Typer wrote:True, but a bit risky unless you're damn careful. :)
With 3 Wonders, you HAVE to be careful anyway, as it must be one of the best CPS1 boards. Chariot FTW!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
IronGiant

Post by IronGiant »

Can't argue with that. A pity that the one I'm trying to get working 100% (see earlier message) already had a dead battery. :(
MKL

Post by MKL »

The only risk is dropping the battery on the board and causing a short somewhere (which doesn't mean the board would die). To avoid this put some paper sheets on the board around the battery. I see more risk with the desolder/solder method actually.
IronGiant

Post by IronGiant »

R-Typer wrote:Hope it's okay to resurrect such an old thread, but I'm curious if anyone has resurrected a World version (as opposed to Japanese or US versions) of '3 Wonders' using the unencrypted US set here:

http://www.arcadecollecting.com/dead/dead.html

I'm having some graphics problems since modifying a World version of 3 Wonders which didn't have any graphics issues before the battery died. I've modified a fair few CPS1 boards in my time and this is the first one that has given me problems, possibly as a result of trying to use the only available set for the US version on a board which previously used the World version (although I've replaced the other US relevant ROMs too).

Bit of a puzzler.

Thanks
Hope it's okay to quote and answer my own question!

Found that the key EPROMs appear to be 29 and 34, , ie the problem EPROMs are AM27C010's used for those binaries (which are rated at 150ns) which cause the graphics and lockup issues previously mentioned.

The solution is to use 27C010's rated at 120ns or faster OR to use, in my case, 150ns EPROMs from different manufacturers (I'm using Mitsubishi and Intel as an experiment). Both work fine.

:)