Connecting MAME PC to Sony PGM 2950E

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fafu

Connecting MAME PC to Sony PGM 2950E

Post by fafu »

Hi there. I'm going to buy a Sony PGM 2950. I know, the PVM is better (15khz) for oldschool consoles but as a start I plan to use it with a MAME PC only. And tated.

I've searched this forum, but have only found comments on the PVM, perhaps you can help me with the PGM.

My Question: how do I get the best possible results? Do I need a special graphic card? Should I connect per VGA-->VGA? Or VGA-->RGB? Is there a possibility to use the BNC connectors? Is it recommended to do so?

As I understood from some previous reading the PGM 2950 works in 31kHz progressive (640x480p) mode. This is imho not supposed to support scanlines. Is that right?

Lots of questions, I know. Any hint would be really appreciated.
Aleanil

Post by Aleanil »

I have a PGM 2950. Any old graphics card will work, you connect via VGA->BNC breakout cable. The PGM-2950 syncs at 480p (640x480); whether you can see the scanlines or not, I'm not sure, I haven't used it in a while :)

Basically all you need to do is set the computer to display at 640x480 on a regular monitor, then purchase a VGA->BNC cable and connect the computer to the 2950. Done!

Example cable
fafu

Post by fafu »

Thanks a lot Aleanil. I''ll give it a try.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You won't get native 240p scanlines since it's a 480p display. If you want scanlines, set MAME to DirectDraw instead of Direct D3. This way the scanlines are applied on a per pixel basis instead of in the overlay.
fafu

Post by fafu »

Works like a charm, ty Fudoh.