tate software for PC LCD monitors

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
agustusx

tate software for PC LCD monitors

Post by agustusx »

technically software question, just seems logical here in Hardware. Searching did not seem to answer my question.

I recently tried rotating my LCD monitor for mame. Its the first time I've done it in years, and I do remember "not liking it". I found out why today. The Nvidia software "tate" mode works ok in mame, really poorly with SSF, and basically not at all with PCSX2. The FPS is abysmal at best for newer emulators. Even windows seems to have visual slowdown even though the processor is at 99% idle.

At this point I tried using some software that came with my monitor 5 years ago. Its called PerfectPortrait from Portrait displays, a viewsonic bundle software. Seems like they still make software but it cost $$$. Anyway it crashed my computer, blue screens twice and i had to run safe mode to uninstall.

What is a current, hi speed rotation software for Windows xp that works well for gaming?

Thanks
it290

Post by it290 »

Why not just use the tate functions already in MAME? And for SSF and PCSX2, within the games themselves?
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
captpain

Post by captpain »

it290 wrote:Why not just use the tate functions already in MAME? And for SSF and PCSX2, within the games themselves?
This is what I do, and it works fine.
agustusx

Post by agustusx »

it290 wrote:Why not just use the tate functions already in MAME? And for SSF and PCSX2, within the games themselves?
A few reasons:

I would like to keep the monitor in one position instead of having to turn it around all the time.

I want windows to handle this correctly as well. The Nvidia software works fine if you only want to use word...

I didn't know PCSX2 could do it.

I didn't think it would be so hard to have a universal solution. Its really a pain otherwise. How long has nVidia had tate in the drivers, and it runs this slow :(

I guess I'll leave it hori. Thanks though
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

It sounds like your video card is disabling hardware accelerated graphics while rotated. Probabally a driver issue. Try getting the latest drivers for your card and try again.

Also what video card is it?
agustusx

Post by agustusx »

8800GTS with 640mb ram. i just applied the april 1st drivers and no improvement. Searching around I do see the speed issue is a common problem people complain about.
cools

Post by cools »

MAME rotation is fine - you tell it to auto rotate stuff and it'll always be the right orientation on the screen.

Windows... I've not had many good experiences with it rotated - it's always been slow for me no matter what software/drivers I've tried - so I'll leave that to everyone elses tips.

The tips for SSF and PCSX2 - the emulators themselves don't support rotation, but a lot of the STGs have a tate mode.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Well, it sounds like an issue with Nvidia's drivers. I've got a similar ATI card (Radeon HD 3850) and I can rotate using ATI's software with no problems.

You've probabally allready found this, but there's a thread on Nvidia's forum here : http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/in ... t2586.html
z0mbie90

Re: tate software for PC LCD monitors

Post by z0mbie90 »

[quote="agustusx"]t

I recently tried rotating my LCD monitor for mame. /quote]

What monitor do you have. I wanted to tate my monitor, a Fujitsu Siemens 22", but i'm a little bit afraid that it will happen something not so fun.
agustusx

Post by agustusx »

Udderdude, Yeah I saw that lament thread. Thanks

z0mbie90, I've got a viewsonic 21 inch that is designed to rotate easily. However since windows + nvidia do not handle this very well ive decided to leave it hori.

Cools, SSF does have a tate option, I use it all the time on games like Battle Garegga. In games where the standard console version is cropped, but it has optional tate that gives you the proper playing field, I will set the game to tate, and use SSF to then rotate the screen to match the orientation of the hori monitor. It may seem crazy, but it works.

in the case of Garegga, I do wish the menus adjusted accordingly :(