Help the new guy please? (issue resolved)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mortified_penguin

Help the new guy please? (issue resolved)

Post by mortified_penguin »

Rookie says hi. :oops:

Here's the deal, I bought a Raiden Fighters cab two weeks ago and a Donpachi PCB from the trade section here last week. Finally got the game today and put it in only to get this:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z296 ... P/cab1.jpg

Sound and controls work just fine but obviously the monitor isn't playing nice. Any idea whats wrong? Off the top of my head I'd guess my monitor isn't compatible and I'm screwed. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by mortified_penguin on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chi_Ryu

Post by Chi_Ryu »

I'm not a monitor tech, but that looks like a sync problem. How techie are you?
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
jpj

Post by jpj »

raiden fighters games have a slightly odd refresh rate if i remember rightly. first thing, check the voltage going to the pcb :)
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
antron

Post by antron »

let me ask the obvious first. did you try adjusting the the horizontal sync?
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Some arcade monitor have built-in auto-syncing so you wouldn't have to worry about that. But in your case, mortified_penguin, it is a sync issue at best. Just look for the pot trim adjustment for the h-sync one and slowly adjust it until the screen correctly displays the on-screen graphics to your liking. Easy as pie. ^_~

The more you learn the tricks of the trade when delving into the arcade PCB hobby spectrum, the more knowledgeable you'll become. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Find the monitor adjustment board and adjust the vertical hold.

It's probably behind the monitor bezel on that cab (..ask the seller).

Raiden Fighters v.sync rate is 54hz, where as Donpachi is roughly 58hz. With any luck you can adjust the v.hold on your monitor just a tad and it will sync with both games w/o having to adjust it every time. Plan on having to make adjustments (contrast, image size, etc) when switching boards though (different hardwares). That is normal.
mortified_penguin

That did it! Thanks guys. Truth be told I didn't know you could adjust such things.

Well I think I've used up my one stupid question for a while. :wink:
LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay »

Now that you've answered your question, here's one.

Where in Ohio did you find that cab?
mortified_penguin

Won it through eBay and picked it up at Bowling Green University.