Supergun controller configuration help?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
airthrow

Supergun controller configuration help?

Post by airthrow »

Hi guys,

I just built a supergun that is working great. However, I haven't worked out exactly how to do my controls yet. I have a CPS2 kick harness comming in the mail right now. I want to be able to play CPS2, MVS, and also really excited about getting into Shmups more.

I am wondering for the most compatibility how you guys wire your controllers? I will be making sanwa arcade sticks with six face buttons. Do you just solder the kick harness to the JAMMA loom and leave it hanging out when not playing 6 button cps2 games? Do you need a seperate harness for the D button on MVS? (I don't yet have an MVS so not sure how it works).

I'm trying to plan out what DB connectors to buy, and if I need some switches to switches so that I can have a reasonable button configuration for SNK games (either Tekken 2x2 style or a curved line ABCD...)

Which way is the easiest way to do it?
kemical

Post by kemical »

i'd say base the connectors off the DB-15 neogeo pinout, with the added buttons on unused pins, that is a pretty popular way.
With changing button layouts maybe some patch bay style thing could work? maybe even make it a small pass-through external box so it can be used on other things in the future, combine autofire into it.. etc
I guess if you already have an idea of the common button layouts you want, you could break it down into some switches that do what is needed.
Fire-bug

Post by Fire-bug »

Check out the stickied supergun thread at the top of this page, in the second post I give you the best possible pinout you could do. :D
Fire-bug wrote: Typically, every jamma project, supergun or consolisation uses db15 connectors for joystick ports as they are the most efficient, allowing you to use neo geo peripherals straight away.

Here is what I use-

1- Ground
2- Hard Kick (capcom)
3- Select (neo), Medium Kick (capcom), E (atomiswave)
4- D (neo/ atomiswave), Light kick (capcom)
5- B (neo/ atomiswave), Medium punch (capcom)
6- Down
7- Right
8- +5 volts (needed for certain adaptors and neo pads/ sticks)
9- Not used, but can be connected as Neo D (like pin 4)
10- Select (neo), Medium Kick (capcom), E (atomiswave)
11- Start
12- C (neo/ atomiswave) Hard punch (capcom)
13- A (neo/ atomiswave) Light punch (capcom)
14- Left
15- Up

So far, I have found this to be the most overall useful to players. It allows the use of all neo geo sticks, as well as the psx->jamma converters supplied by laugh, and also the psx-neo geo converers by totek.com.
Shmups members Ive made Superguns for-

Johnny5, Arc, alberto1225, jedahsministry, Sploit, Kahn, Gorbct, Adderall, Oxoid, Dragoforce, Luckyday, Acidburns, Domino, Stan, Ichiro, Star Fighter, Dr No (x2!), Ed Oscuro, Solemn Nomad, kevkevkevkev
airthrow

Post by airthrow »

Awesome, I think I will use that.

For hard kick on capcom games, do you wire a kick harness with the Hard kick button to the DB connector on the supergun, and then just leave the kick harness hanging while you play other games, but plug it in to CPS2 fighters?
Plastic

Post by Plastic »

airthrow wrote:Awesome, I think I will use that.

For hard kick on capcom games, do you wire a kick harness with the Hard kick button to the DB connector on the supergun, and then just leave the kick harness hanging while you play other games, but plug it in to CPS2 fighters?
I have the same question.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

airthrow wrote:Awesome, I think I will use that.

You would wire up the "Hard Kick" button directly into the kick harness and then plug in the kick harness into said favorite CPS-2 game. ^_~

It would be American Sammy's Daioh PCB that can take advantage of the six button layout. Although you'd have to wire up buttons 4, 5 and 6 directly via kick harness and plug that harness into the Daioh PCB to take advantage of all six buttons. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~